PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here Have a Republican Congressman

George Cleveland
November 10th, 2005, 12:37 AM
If so then give him a call *tonight* and ask that he vote to remove
against the budget reconciliation bill until Richard Pombo's public
land giveaway is removed.

http://www.tu.org/siteapps/advocacy/index.aspx?c=7dJEKTNuFmG&b=376957

http://www.bettermines.org/pombo.cfm

g.c.

George Cleveland
November 10th, 2005, 02:12 PM
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:37:46 -0600, George Cleveland
> wrote:

>If so then give him a call *tonight* and ask that he vote
>against the budget reconciliation bill until Richard Pombo's public
>land giveaway is removed.
>
>http://www.tu.org/siteapps/advocacy/index.aspx?c=7dJEKTNuFmG&b=376957
>
>http://www.bettermines.org/pombo.cfm
>

>g.c.

The Pombo proposal made it through the Rules committee, although ANWR
didn't.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-unprotect10nov10,0,6261945.story?coll=la-home-nation

The only hope to defeat the porvision is to have the entire budget
reconciliation bill defeated.

g.c.

FlyCaughtInTree
November 10th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Just heard a news report on NPR that the Senate will probably block the
bill unless the ANWR thing is put back in. The Pombo proposal might be
moot if the bill gets ripped up in conference.
I have a Red congressman, but I doubt if he would care one way or the
other, probably leaning for it. We here in Texas would probably not be
affected, since we have no Federal public lands.

Johnson
November 10th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Great post. Thanks for the heads up. Seems Pombo and Bush are in
cahoots with trying to ruin our nations great public lands, and in turn
the fragile coldwater fisheries we cherish.

Big Dale
November 10th, 2005, 06:09 PM
My republican congressman seems to take pride in voting against
anything that I am for. I am suggesting that we vote agains ALL
politicians that are in office now on all levels of government. "I want
a different bunch of idiots."

Big Dale

Willi
November 10th, 2005, 07:07 PM
THIS ****ES ME OFF!

This was one of my biggest fears when the present administration was
elected and my fears were amplified when Gale Norton was appointed as
the Secretary of the Interior. Gale Norton (who used to serve in my home
state CO) is in favor of managing OUR public lands by the principal of
"highest and best use" ie the usage that can produce the most (often
short term)income. (She was a member of the think tank Mountain States
Legal Foundation. Do some research on the think tank to see how they/she
feels our public lands should be managed)

This case goes even beyond being managed for the "highest and best use".
The sales would be MUCH below market value.

What's especially obnoxious to me is that, in a typical sleazy political
maneuver, it's just a "little" rider that got attached to a much larger
complicated Bill without any public input.

First we get "nothing" for the land and once that land is sold, we ain't
ever getting it back.

THIS SUX!!!

Willi

rw
November 10th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Willi wrote:

> THIS SUX!!!

It will be reversed when the Democrats win control of the House and the
Senate in 2006. :-)

Fat Freddy
November 10th, 2005, 07:46 PM
I can't afford one.
If I were rich I might buy a couple though.

Larry L
November 10th, 2005, 07:51 PM
"Willi" > wrote

Gale Norton (who used to serve in my home
> state CO) is in favor of managing OUR public lands by the principal of
> "highest and best use" ie the usage that can produce the most (often short
> term)income.

Pombo is a 'local' rancher/developer whose major ideology is "more money in
MY pocket, **** the future" He seems to have used millions of his own
money to gain office for the specific reason of profiting on those millions
spent by changing laws ( Endangered Species Act, for one ) that were slowing
his personal efforts to destroy as much of California as possible, as fast
as possible. TRUE scum and, therefore, I'm sure Bush must love him.

Let's all wave our flags, chant a mantra about 'protecting the American
people' and then do something to screw them while they aren't looking ....

David Snedeker
November 11th, 2005, 12:07 AM
"Willi" > wrote in message
> THIS ****ES ME OFF!

SNIP
> What's especially obnoxious to me is that, in a typical sleazy political
> maneuver, it's just a "little" rider that got attached to a much larger
> complicated Bill without any public input.
>
> First we get "nothing" for the land and once that land is sold, we ain't
> ever getting it back.
>
> THIS SUX!!!
>
> Willi

Where's the Unibomber when we really need him. (Just joking FBI screener)
;-II

Dave

Mike Connor
November 11th, 2005, 12:08 AM
"David Snedeker" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..
<SNIP>
> Where's the Unibomber when we really need him. (Just joking FBI screener)
> ;-II
>
> Dave

That´s "Unabomber".

http://www.thecourier.com/manifest.htm

MC

Ideology stinks.

David Snedeker
November 11th, 2005, 12:11 AM
"Larry L" > wrote in message

> "Willi" > wrote
>
> Gale Norton (who used to serve in my home
> > state CO) is in favor of managing OUR public lands by the principal of
> > "highest and best use" ie the usage that can produce the most (often
short
> > term)income.
>
> Pombo is a 'local' rancher/developer whose major ideology is "more money
in
> MY pocket, **** the future" He seems to have used millions of his own
> money to gain office for the specific reason of profiting on those
millions
> spent by changing laws ( Endangered Species Act, for one ) that were
slowing
> his personal efforts to destroy as much of California as possible, as fast
> as possible. TRUE scum and, therefore, I'm sure Bush must love him.
>
> Let's all wave our flags, chant a mantra about 'protecting the American
> people' and then do something to screw them while they aren't looking ....

Bottomline is that the greed of this kind of scum is not usually intimidated
by anything short of physical fear.

Dave

November 11th, 2005, 12:15 AM
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:07:15 -0700, Willi > wrote:

>THIS ****ES ME OFF!
>
>This was one of my biggest fears when the present administration was
>elected and my fears were amplified when Gale Norton was appointed as
>the Secretary of the Interior. Gale Norton (who used to serve in my home
>state CO) is in favor of managing OUR public lands by the principal of
>"highest and best use" ie the usage that can produce the most (often
>short term)income. (She was a member of the think tank Mountain States
>Legal Foundation. Do some research on the think tank to see how they/she
>feels our public lands should be managed)
>
>This case goes even beyond being managed for the "highest and best use".
>The sales would be MUCH below market value.
>
>What's especially obnoxious to me is that, in a typical sleazy political
>maneuver, it's just a "little" rider that got attached to a much larger
>complicated Bill without any public input.
>
>First we get "nothing" for the land and once that land is sold, we ain't
>ever getting it back.
>
>THIS SUX!!!
>
>Willi

FWIW, you might want to look at more of the story and the rider itself.

For example, on the site George cited, there are several categories of
"outside" links. One category is "News Coverage" and the first link,

"Critics assail federal mining measure, Associated Press, 11/09/05"

goes to this:

http://www.theminingnews.org/news.cfm?newsID=1595

However, clicking on the "complete article" link (required for the
partial "quote") gets at least two sides of the story:

http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2005/11/09/news/regional/820714cac23bc634872570b4000594ac.txt

Is the other side right or even accurate? Well, one will have to decide
for oneself, but I'd say that folks not having the whole story is a big
part of what you are ****ed off about. The way it was, er, "partially
quoted" suggests that the whole story getting coverage is not what the
folks running "theminingnews.com" want.

For example, this little item from the "complete article:"

"The bill exempts national parks, monuments and wilderness areas."

Easy to check, and if you find it to be accurate, it exempts quite a bit
of "public" land. That said, I'd readily agree that the "pro-rider"
folks in general aren't interested in the other side being heard either,
and many on that side would probably run as roughshod over things as
they felt like they would/could get away with.

Remember, the Congressional Record (http://www.gpoaccess.gov/crecord/)
is your friend...well, OK, so it probably isn't, so here's some help:

Go here:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=109_cong_bills&docid=f:h4241rh.txt

and do a page search (it isn't a search box at the site - for example,
use "Edit" --> "Find (on This Page)" if using IE) for "Subtitle
B--Miscellaneous Amendments Relating to Mining."

TC,

David Snedeker
November 11th, 2005, 12:27 AM
"George Cleveland" > wrote in message
> If so then give him a call *tonight* and ask that he vote to remove
> against the budget reconciliation bill until Richard Pombo's public
> land giveaway is removed.
>
> http://www.tu.org/siteapps/advocacy/index.aspx?c=7dJEKTNuFmG&b=376957
>
> http://www.bettermines.org/pombo.cfm
>

> g.c.

Get real, how many of these gutless swine have even spoken up in the face of
all the corruption, fraud, incompetence, espionage, lies, torture, and
treason of the Bushies? It isn't about the USA anymore for these scum . . .
its just protecting their partisan funnel for all the bribes they can pack
in before the gravytrain crashes. And from what Ive seen your average
Republican voter these days is either too embarrassed or cowed to speak up,
or is still repeating 6 year old Monica blowjob jokes and staying half
soused. And the Christian whackjobs are running amuck.

Damn few intelligent Republicans are speaking up. (Hegel, Graham, McCain).

Dave

Wolfgang
November 11th, 2005, 01:06 AM
"David Snedeker" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Larry L" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Willi" > wrote
>>
>> Gale Norton (who used to serve in my home
>> > state CO) is in favor of managing OUR public lands by the principal of
>> > "highest and best use" ie the usage that can produce the most (often
> short
>> > term)income.
>>
>> Pombo is a 'local' rancher/developer whose major ideology is "more money
> in
>> MY pocket, **** the future" He seems to have used millions of his own
>> money to gain office for the specific reason of profiting on those
> millions
>> spent by changing laws ( Endangered Species Act, for one ) that were
> slowing
>> his personal efforts to destroy as much of California as possible, as
>> fast
>> as possible. TRUE scum and, therefore, I'm sure Bush must love him.
>>
>> Let's all wave our flags, chant a mantra about 'protecting the American
>> people' and then do something to screw them while they aren't looking
>
> Bottomline is that the greed of this kind of scum is not usually
> intimidated
> by anything short of physical fear.

You STILL believe that scum of this sort is motivated by greed? Well, isn't
that just precious!

Is it any wonder that scum of this sort remains eternally leagues ahead of
you?

Wolfgang
greed, as an ideology, is passé.......been that way for centuries.
sucks.......ainna? :)

Wolfgang
November 11th, 2005, 01:08 AM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message

> "David Snedeker" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> . ..
> <SNIP>
>> Where's the Unibomber when we really need him. (Just joking FBI screener)
>> ;-II
>>
>> Dave
>>

> That´s "Unabomber".
>
> http://www.thecourier.com/manifest.htm
>
> MC
>
> Ideology stinks.

Hee, hee, hee.

And illiteracy swallows. :)

Wolfgang
hey, gitcher weekly readers!......gitem while there hot!......step right
up!.......

Johnson
November 11th, 2005, 02:32 AM
The whole story is covered. the potential for the wholesale of a
hundred million acres of national forest and BLM land. That's where the
nations best trout streams are, bar none. We are talking about millions
of anglers losing access and their streams for forever. It alos appears
that the mining companies won't be the only folks digging in.

This is perhaps the greatest anti-fly fishing measure I have ever seen
proposed by congress.

November 11th, 2005, 03:02 AM
On 10 Nov 2005 18:32:18 -0800, "Johnson" >
wrote:

>The whole story is covered.

Ah, well, if you are sure, that's good enough for me...

> the potential for the wholesale of a
>hundred million acres of national forest and BLM land.

Well, there's _potential_ for bigfoots...er, bigfeets...well, big hairy
sumbitches to come out of trees and eat babies...so let's be
prophylactic and cut down all the trees...or get rid of all the tempting
babies...LET'S DO SOMETHING FOR GAWDSAKES!!!

>That's where the
>nations best trout streams are, bar none. We are talking about millions
>of anglers losing access and their streams for forever. It alos appears
>that the mining companies won't be the only folks digging in.
>
>This is perhaps the greatest anti-fly fishing measure I have ever seen
>proposed by congress.

Uh, huh - so we should protect the FFing streams at the cost of the
national interest, or protect them for you, or...???...hmm...IAC, that
might not be enough...some rogue might not get in under the guise of
being a FFer. Let's REALLY protect things and just ban any and all
access. I know that a true conservationist such as yourself will be the
first to publicly pledge to never enter public land again because it
might damage things...

Eleven-and-half-eagles....dick

George Cleveland
November 11th, 2005, 05:31 AM
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:02:47 -0600, wrote:

>On 10 Nov 2005 18:32:18 -0800, "Johnson" >
>wrote:
>
>>The whole story is covered.
>
>Ah, well, if you are sure, that's good enough for me...
>
>> the potential for the wholesale of a
>>hundred million acres of national forest and BLM land.
>
>Well, there's _potential_ for bigfoots...er, bigfeets...well, big hairy
>sumbitches to come out of trees and eat babies...so let's be
>prophylactic and cut down all the trees...or get rid of all the tempting
>babies...LET'S DO SOMETHING FOR GAWDSAKES!!!
>
>>That's where the
>>nations best trout streams are, bar none. We are talking about millions
>>of anglers losing access and their streams for forever. It alos appears
>>that the mining companies won't be the only folks digging in.
>>
>>This is perhaps the greatest anti-fly fishing measure I have ever seen
>>proposed by congress.
>
>Uh, huh - so we should protect the FFing streams at the cost of the
>national interest, or protect them for you, or...???...hmm...IAC, that
>might not be enough...some rogue might not get in under the guise of
>being a FFer. Let's REALLY protect things and just ban any and all
>access. I know that a true conservationist such as yourself will be the
>first to publicly pledge to never enter public land again because it
>might damage things...

Gee Richard. He's making the perfectly valid point that people would
probably lose access to land if it is owned by private corporations as
opposed to being owned by the public, be they fly fishers, deer
hunters or mushroom pickers. How you got from that to keeping everyone
but flyfishers off the land is beyond me.

>Eleven-and-half-eagles....dick

That too.

g.c.

Johnson
November 11th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Wow that was perhaps the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen posted.

What kind of coldwater fly fishermen advocates selling off the national
forests? You do know where the best trout fishing is, don't you?

But I guess TU is just lying, and you are the one with all the
knowledge.

David Snedeker
November 11th, 2005, 09:27 PM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message

> "David Snedeker" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> . ..
> <SNIP>
> > Where's the Unibomber when we really need him. (Just joking FBI
screener)
> > ;-II
> >
> > Dave
> >

> That´s "Unabomber".

Must be the Unibomber's brother.

Excuse me Mike, but next time you live in a country ruled by a man who says
that God tells him which countries to invade, where the government protects
companies who defraud millions of their pensions, where the primative
religion of snake-handlers and illiterates defines what birth control
methods will be legal, where the poor are taxed so the rich will have more
to spend, and where angry children are often armed with automatic weapons, .
.. . maybe I'll listen to you for advise as to what is and what is not
reasonable.

Dave
Ideology fa schifo

David Snedeker
November 11th, 2005, 09:35 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

SNIP
> You STILL believe that scum of this sort is motivated by greed? Well,
isn't
> that just precious!
>
> Is it any wonder that scum of this sort remains eternally leagues ahead of
> you?
>
> Wolfgang
> greed, as an ideology, is passé.......been that way for centuries.
> sucks.......ainna? :)

True to form, you once again reveal a near complete ignorance of current
events, much less the background of the key actors.

Im curious: as much as you pee on your feet, do you at least remove your
shoes when you enter other's houses? And . . . were you bit by the Weekly
Reader when you were a kid or what?

Dave

November 11th, 2005, 09:43 PM
In article >,
says...

> "Mike Connor" > wrote in message
> >
> > "David Snedeker" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > . ..
> > <SNIP>
> > > Where's the Unibomber when we really need him. (Just joking FBI
> screener)
> > > ;-II
> > >
> > > Dave
> > >

> > That?s "Unabomber".
> >
> Must be the Unibomber's brother.
>
> Excuse me Mike, but next time you live in a country ruled by a man who says
> that God tells him which countries to invade, where the government protects
> companies who defraud millions of their pensions, where the primative
> religion of snake-handlers and illiterates defines what birth control
> methods will be legal, where the poor are taxed so the rich will have more
> to spend, and where angry children are often armed with automatic weapons, .
> . . maybe I'll listen to you for advise as to what is and what is not
> reasonable.
>
> Dave
> Ideology fa schifo

You forgot dogs and cats living together........angry children armed
with automatic weapons???? Talk about fear-mongering.
- Ken

P.S. Before you give yourself a heart attack responding, do yourself a
favor and look up automatic weapons. Automatic weapons are practically
outlawed (there's about 200-300K mostly owned by Hollywood and
collectors) and are rarely used in crimes.

Mike Connor
November 11th, 2005, 09:53 PM
"David Snedeker" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..
<SNIP>>
> Must be the Unibomber's brother.
>
> Excuse me Mike, but next time you live in a country ruled by a man who
> says
> that God tells him which countries to invade, where the government
> protects
> companies who defraud millions of their pensions, where the primative
> religion of snake-handlers and illiterates defines what birth control
> methods will be legal, where the poor are taxed so the rich will have more
> to spend, and where angry children are often armed with automatic weapons,
> .
> . . maybe I'll listen to you for advise as to what is and what is not
> reasonable.
>
> Dave
> Ideology fa schifo

I was not giving you advice, merely providing information which you
apparently lack. Should you seriously be of the opinion that such a man as
the unabomber would solve any of the problems you keep waffling about on
here, then you do not need advice, you need therapy.

QUOTE FROM WIKIPEDIA
Dr. Theodore John Kaczynski, Ph.D., also known as the Unabomber (born May
22, 1942) is a Polish-American terrorist who attempted to fight against what
he perceived as the evils of technological progress by sending mail bombs to
various people over almost eighteen years, killing three and wounding 29. He
was the target of the FBI's most expensive manhunt ever.

Before his identity was known, the FBI referred to him as the UNABOM (from
"university and airline bomber"). Variants of the code name appeared when
the media started using the codename, including Unabomer, and Unabomber.

UNQUOTE

MC

David Snedeker
November 11th, 2005, 10:32 PM
> wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > "Mike Connor" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "David Snedeker" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > . ..
> > > <SNIP>
> > screener)

> > > That?s "Unabomber".
> > >
> > Must be the Unibomber's brother.
> >
> > Excuse me Mike, but next time you live in a country ruled by a man who
says
> > that God tells him which countries to invade, where the government
protects
> > companies who defraud millions of their pensions, where the primative
> > religion of snake-handlers and illiterates defines what birth control
> > methods will be legal, where the poor are taxed so the rich will have
more
> > to spend, and where angry children are often armed with automatic
weapons, .
> > . . maybe I'll listen to you for advise as to what is and what is not
> > reasonable.
> >
> > Dave
> > Ideology fa schifo
>

> You forgot dogs and cats living together........angry children armed
> with automatic weapons???? Talk about fear-mongering.
> - Ken
>
> P.S. Before you give yourself a heart attack responding, do yourself a
> favor and look up automatic weapons. Automatic weapons are practically
> outlawed (there's about 200-300K mostly owned by Hollywood and
> collectors) and are rarely used in crimes.

Hey, I could go for a positive note. So . . . where might you suggest I
"look up automatic weapons" to get your sublime point of view. And please
let me know what non-automatic weapons the various kid shooting up their
school mates, and doing the drive-bys etc.. favor.

Or maybe we are going to revisit that canard of an argument that denies that
a glock is an automatic weapon and the very existance of assault rifles
depend on what the definition of "is," is. In which case please spare me
from such enlightenment.

Dave
Ideology fa schifo

Wolfgang
November 11th, 2005, 10:49 PM
"David Snedeker" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Wolfgang" > wrote in message
>>
> SNIP
>> You STILL believe that scum of this sort is motivated by greed? Well,
> isn't
>> that just precious!
>>
>> Is it any wonder that scum of this sort remains eternally leagues ahead
>> of
>> you?
>>
>> Wolfgang
>> greed, as an ideology, is passé.......been that way for centuries.
>> sucks.......ainna? :)
>>

> True to form, you once again reveal a near complete ignorance of current
> events, much less the background of the key actors.

Oh? There are new developments in your psychosis that I haven't been
informed of? DO tell! :)

> Im curious:

Would that you actually were........it would make a difference in your life
that you can't imagine.

> as much as you pee on your feet, do you at least remove your
> shoes when you enter other's houses?

Having spent a good deal of time cleaning toilets, I've made of point
achieving good aim. If someone or something gets peed upon you may rest
assured that the warm wet sensation you experience so often is no accident.
And my shoes are a good deal cleaner than what is festering in your head.
That said, shoe removal on entry has been my default action for
years.......not that it's much of an issue......I don't get invited in all
that often.

> And . . . were you bit by the Weekly
> Reader when you were a kid or what?

I read it regularly throughout my years of elementary education....six,
maybe seven years. Upon greater exposure to the wider world.....school,
libraries, the street, etc., I quickly learned that there are other
commendable sources of information. Some of them even surpass "Weekly
Reader" in both breadth and depth of news coverage. Not that they aren't
still good.....they ARE....but an occasional peek at something else probably
wouldn't do you much harm at your age. But, go easy on the PG 13 stuff on
TV and at the movies unless your Mom says it's o.k.........o.k.?

Wolfgang
any of y'all ever get that strange tingly sorta premonition that your about
to get cuffed.......again!?

Wolfgang
November 11th, 2005, 10:54 PM
> wrote in message
> ...Automatic weapons are practically
> outlawed....

So is crack......and crank.

Wolfgang
and not a moment too soon......whew! um......come to think of it, homicide
is practically outlawed too. well, it's good to know we won't have THAT to
worry about anymore! :)

Thomas Littleton
November 12th, 2005, 12:59 AM
> wrote in message >
> Uh, huh - so we should protect the FFing streams at the cost of the
> national interest>

I would see your side, if I could find one bit of "national interest" beyond
personal enrichment on lands purchased on behalf of the nation as a whole.
Even with the exemptions, why should the government be selling off(at
bargain rates) National Forest lands??
Plus, if it was in the "National Interest", they probably wouldn't have to
sneak it into legislation, but could proudly pass it as a stand alone
measure........just my guess.

Tom

Thomas Littleton
November 12th, 2005, 01:01 AM
"Johnson" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Wow that was perhaps the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen posted.

Puhleeze, you haven't read much of ROFF for very long have you?<bseg>
Tom

JR
November 12th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Thomas Littleton wrote:

> I would see your side, if I could find one bit of "national interest" beyond
> personal enrichment on lands purchased on behalf of the nation as a whole.
> Even with the exemptions, why should the government be selling off(at
> bargain rates) National Forest lands??
> Plus, if it was in the "National Interest", they probably wouldn't have to
> sneak it into legislation, but could proudly pass it as a stand alone
> measure........just my guess.

You can see the deficit reduction bill in its current form by going here:

http://thomas.loc.gov ,

clicking on Search Bills and Resolutions, then typing in "HR 4241" for
the bill number.

The relevant sections are 6201 to 6207, under TITLE VI--COMMITTEE ON
RESOURCES, Subtitle B--Miscellaneous Amendments Relating to Mining.

At risk are millions of acres of National Forest land and Bureau of Land
Management land, which have almost endless hunting and fishing
opportunities..... opportunities now accessible to everyone, not just to
the scions of Dean Foods and their ilk.

Now maybe it's just me, but I tend to think that reclassification of
our public lands should only be done through an entirely open and
transparent process into which the public has significant input, not
through “miscellaneous amendments” to a budget bill.

JR

November 12th, 2005, 01:45 AM
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 00:59:37 GMT, "Thomas Littleton"
> wrote:

> wrote in message >
>> Uh, huh - so we should protect the FFing streams at the cost of the
>> national interest>
>
>I would see your side, if I could find one bit of "national interest" beyond
>personal enrichment on lands purchased on behalf of the nation as a whole.
>Even with the exemptions, why should the government be selling off(at
>bargain rates) National Forest lands??

First, I have no side in this, but that said, this all seems to be much
ado about nothing. It does not allow the selling off of vast amounts
of, much less anywhere near _all_, "public land." Also, I didn't say
this part of the HR _was_ in the national interest, I simply asked
(rhetorically) if the national interest should be a lesser issue than
protecting the "public" right to access (a few/some) trout streams.
Read up on this particular part of the whole issue, and look into some
of the background on the whole issue. For example, the "fake" bill he
(Pombo) circulated some time back about selling national monuments and
other stuff. Google up "Pombo Markey sale Frederick Olmstead" (Olmstead
was one of the parks - hopefully, it will work to cut down on unrelated
stuff) and you should see quite a bit, much of it leftish media-driven
hysteria about something Pombo plainly said he wasn't going to actually
introduce.

>Plus, if it was in the "National Interest", they probably wouldn't have to
>sneak it into legislation, but could proudly pass it as a stand alone
>measure........just my guess.

There are lots of things that would be in the national interest that
would have to be disguised as Paris Hilton, carrying a Starflocks'
Frappacappamochabreeze, and washing a Bentley while wearing nothing but
a "Trumpthong" and a $485USD t-shirt to sneak it into legislation...for
example, a Bill authorizing...nay, _requiring_ the sale (final, "as is,
where is," with no warranties expressed or implied) of Paris Hilton to
the Yakuza, Donald Trump to the Chinese, and making the possession of a
Frappacappamochabreeze or anything remotely similar a Federal rap with
some serious time.

TC,

Wolfgang
November 12th, 2005, 02:45 AM
> wrote in message
> ...I have no side in this..

Hm.....

A lot like life its own self......ainna?

Wolfgang
who, eternal optimist, stands firm in the conviction that the boy will
discover that he has something to say.......someday......maybe.

BJ Conner
November 12th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Wolfgang wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > ...I have no side in this..
>
> Hm.....
>
> A lot like life its own self......ainna?
>
> Wolfgang
> who, eternal optimist, stands firm in the conviction that the boy will
> discover that he has something to say.......someday......maybe.

He's a convincing argument that the best thing to do about the national
debt is to give Texas to the Chinese and call it good.

David Snedeker
November 12th, 2005, 04:55 AM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message

Well Mike, perhaps my hyperbole went a little far in the "Where is the
Unibomber when we really need him" line, but my frustration with the
situation in my country is not an orphan, and well within the normal curve.

Dave
The only reason some people are still alive is because its against the law
to kill em. (FF: Canadian bumper sticker)

Mike Connor
November 12th, 2005, 05:18 AM
"David Snedeker" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..

> "Mike Connor" > wrote in message
>>

> Well Mike, perhaps my hyperbole went a little far in the "Where is the
> Unibomber when we really need him" line, but my frustration with the
> situation in my country is not an orphan, and well within the normal
> curve.
>
> Dave
> The only reason some people are still alive is because its against the law
> to kill em. (FF: Canadian bumper sticker)

Indeed, excessive hyperbole merely detracts from what one is trying to say.

While I often sympathise with a lot of what you say, I can not see it doing
anybody any good airing such grievances here. If you feel so strongly about
it, why are you not politically active? Petty squabbling on here, with
others who are in any case apparently well aware of the unfortunate
situations pertaining, is not going to get you anywhere at all.

Lots of people are frustrated at all sorts of things, not only in America.
This is a result of being more or less powerless to change things that one
feels are wrong, or that one disagrees with. Your only recourse in a
democracy, is to try and find other people who agree with you, and use this
collective power to change things.If you are unable to do this, it usually
means that not enough people care enough about it to do anything. This is
indeed usually the case.

People, groups, countries, invariably receive the officials and governments
they deserve. This is unfortunate for those who do not deserve it, but that
is democracy.

In a democracy, mediocrity rules, for the simple reason that there are more
mediocre people than any other. Obviously there are quite a few people who
are aware of corruption, lies, misdirection, etc etc. But they simply don´t
care. Those in power do what they do for their own reasons, and it would be
foolish in the extreme to imagine that this is liable to be the result of
altruism.

Enough.

TL
MC

David Snedeker
November 12th, 2005, 05:25 AM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> Having spent a good deal of time cleaning toilets, I've made of point
> achieving good aim. SNIP

Im sorry. Having replaced a toilet last week I can empathize.

> That said, shoe removal on entry has been my default action for
> years.......not that it's much of an issue......I don't get invited in all
> that often.

Good idea. And do you enjoy these visits? Would you like more invitations?

"But, go easy on the PG 13 stuff on TV and at the movies unless your Mom
says it's o.k.........o.k.?>

Not really a problem as all but 2-3 of the movies I see in a year at the
indy theater on the island, are not rated. And my Mom at 83 is more
interested in her new SUV than supervising my media choices.

> Wolfgang
> any of y'all ever get that strange tingly sorta premonition that your
about
> to get cuffed.......again!?

Now, now, now, lets not project too far ahead. Im sure we can keep this
session productive.

You have renewed your mental health coverage, right?

Dave
Fa schifo ideology

Wolfgang
November 12th, 2005, 12:34 PM
"David Snedeker" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Wolfgang" > wrote in message
>>
>> Having spent a good deal of time cleaning toilets, I've made of point
>> achieving good aim. SNIP
>
> Im sorry. Having replaced a toilet last week I can empathize.

Well.....gosh. That's touching. Um......you want to be careful about
touching in this day and age......it can lead to all sorts of trouble.

>> That said, shoe removal on entry has been my default action for
>> years.......not that it's much of an issue......I don't get invited in
>> all
>> that often.
>>
> Good idea.

I've always thought so.

> And do you enjoy these visits?

Some of them.

> Would you like more invitations?

No thanks. I have little enough time to devote to various other pursuits as
it is.

> "But, go easy on the PG 13 stuff on TV and at the movies unless your Mom
> says it's o.k.........o.k.?>
>
> Not really a problem as all but 2-3 of the movies I see in a year at the
> indy theater on the island, are not rated.

Somehow, we all knew that your film viewing habits would evince an
unmistakable and doubtless well timed psychic shudder at the mediocre and
mindless tripe offerred up by the majors. :)

> And my Mom at 83 is more
> interested in her new SUV than supervising my media choices.

Hm.....so you've been every bit as conscientious in instilling an
environmental awareness in her as she has been moderating your prurient
interests, eh?

>> Wolfgang
>> any of y'all ever get that strange tingly sorta premonition that your
> about
>> to get cuffed.......again!?
>>

> Now, now, now, lets not project too far ahead. Im sure we can keep this
> session productive.
>
> You have renewed your mental health coverage, right?

Insurance is a wonderful thing for those who need the coverage. But, I
don't think I'm Dave Stoller......and I've never put myself in the position
of having to continue to use a sig line that I now realize is stupid (after
this fact has been clearly demonstrated innumerable times) because
discontinuing its use would be correctly seen as a tacit admission of that
realization. :)

> Dave
> Fa schifo ideology

Wolfgang
hm......snedeker......snedeker.....what the hell kinda name is that,
anyway?......is that eyetalian? :(

November 12th, 2005, 03:48 PM
In article >,
says...
> QUOTE FROM WIKIPEDIA
> Dr. Theodore John Kaczynski, Ph.D., also known as the Unabomber (born May
> 22, 1942) is a Polish-American terrorist who attempted to fight against what
> he perceived as the evils of technological progress by sending mail bombs to
> various people over almost eighteen years, killing three and wounding 29. He
> was the target of the FBI's most expensive manhunt ever.

Extra trivia: I went to the same high school as him (about 30 years
later). My uncle was in the same graduating class and apparently knew
him.
- Ken

November 12th, 2005, 04:06 PM
In article >,
says...

> > > angry children are often armed with automatic
> weapons, .
> > > . . maybe I'll listen to you for advise as to what is and what is not
> > > reasonable.
> > >
> > > Dave
> > > Ideology fa schifo
> >

> > You forgot dogs and cats living together........angry children armed
> > with automatic weapons???? Talk about fear-mongering.
> > - Ken
> >
> > P.S. Before you give yourself a heart attack responding, do yourself a
> > favor and look up automatic weapons. Automatic weapons are practically
> > outlawed (there's about 200-300K mostly owned by Hollywood and
> > collectors) and are rarely used in crimes.
>
> Hey, I could go for a positive note. So . . . where might you suggest I
> "look up automatic weapons" to get your sublime point of view. And please
> let me know what non-automatic weapons the various kid shooting up their
> school mates, and doing the drive-bys etc.. favor.

Think the Department of Justice is a relatively unbiased group?

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/guic.pdf

Percent of gun tracing requests by weapon type:
Handgun: 79.1%
Pistol: 53.0%
Pistol Revolver: 24.7%
Pistol Derringer: 1.4$
Rifle: 11.1%
Shotgun: 9.7%
Other (including machineguns): 0.1% <---- This is automatic weapons.

"Automatic weapons are considered machineguns subject to the provisions
of the National Firearms Act." - Same webpage, page 2 under 'What are
the different types of firearms?'

- Ken

David Snedeker
November 15th, 2005, 05:33 AM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

Slicing thru your drivel, I guess it comes down to you liking the movie
product of the "majors," and your feeling that ideology doesn't suck. As to
"innumerable" whatnot, you have never demonstrated anything regarding
ideology sucking, with the exception of revealing you don't understand
either word.

As for your taste in movies, if trash culture does it for you, fill er up.
I find most of it painful (hurts my ears) and degrading. I stopped
apologizing years ago for my tastes in fine art, film, and music, life is
too short to spend it on crap, pretend that Arnold is kool, pretend Billy
Crystal is funny, or pretend that women who look like boys with tits as big
as their heads are inherently interesting.

As for "fa schifo" I doubt you will ever understand either its similarity to
the English "suck," or the difference. And if someone learning the basics of
a few languages is another one of those things that make you uncomfortable,
thats just sad.

Dave
Ideology still sucks

David Snedeker
November 15th, 2005, 05:39 AM
> wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...

> > weapons, .

> > > You forgot dogs and cats living together........angry children armed
> > > with automatic weapons???? Talk about fear-mongering.
> > > - Ken
> > >
> > > P.S. Before you give yourself a heart attack responding, do yourself
> > > favor and look up automatic weapons. Automatic weapons are
practically
> > > outlawed (there's about 200-300K mostly owned by Hollywood and
> > > collectors) and are rarely used in crimes.
> >
> > Hey, I could go for a positive note. So . . . where might you suggest I
> > "look up automatic weapons" to get your sublime point of view. And
please
> > let me know what non-automatic weapons the various kid shooting up their
> > school mates, and doing the drive-bys etc.. favor.
>
> Think the Department of Justice is a relatively unbiased group?
>
> http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/guic.pdf
>
> Percent of gun tracing requests by weapon type:
> Handgun: 79.1%
> Pistol: 53.0%
> Pistol Revolver: 24.7%
> Pistol Derringer: 1.4$
> Rifle: 11.1%
> Shotgun: 9.7%
> Other (including machineguns): 0.1% <---- This is automatic weapons.
>
> "Automatic weapons are considered machineguns subject to the provisions
> of the National Firearms Act." - Same webpage, page 2 under 'What are
> the different types of firearms?'

And the above is intended to refute (illuminate?) my statement that kids
with automatic weapons are scary? What is your point? That kids don't shoot
kids? That kids don't use automatic weapons? That a glock is not an
"automatic" weapon? What IS your point?

Dave
Ideology is pretty

David Snedeker
November 15th, 2005, 05:46 AM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message

Mike, I hear you but respectfully disagree with most of what you wrote as to
whats appropriate here, that democracy is, how it works, etc.. I'll just
leave you with this question: What is the largest (population) democracy,
and how do your precepts apply in that country? Point being. . . "it all
depends". . . .

Dave

Bill McKee
November 15th, 2005, 06:41 AM
"David Snedeker" > wrote in message
. ..

> > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> says...

>> > weapons, .
> not

> practically
>> >
>> > Hey, I could go for a positive note. So . . . where might you suggest I
>> > "look up automatic weapons" to get your sublime point of view. And
> please
>> > let me know what non-automatic weapons the various kid shooting up
>> > their
>> > school mates, and doing the drive-bys etc.. favor.
>>
>> Think the Department of Justice is a relatively unbiased group?
>>
>> http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/guic.pdf
>>
>> Percent of gun tracing requests by weapon type:
>> Handgun: 79.1%
>> Pistol: 53.0%
>> Pistol Revolver: 24.7%
>> Pistol Derringer: 1.4$
>> Rifle: 11.1%
>> Shotgun: 9.7%
>> Other (including machineguns): 0.1% <---- This is automatic weapons.
>>
>> "Automatic weapons are considered machineguns subject to the provisions
>> of the National Firearms Act." - Same webpage, page 2 under 'What are
>> the different types of firearms?'
>
> And the above is intended to refute (illuminate?) my statement that kids
> with automatic weapons are scary? What is your point? That kids don't
> shoot
> kids? That kids don't use automatic weapons? That a glock is not an
> "automatic" weapon? What IS your point?
>
> Dave
> Ideology is pretty

A Glock is not an automatic weapon. Does not fall under the machine gun /
destructive weapons definition. As to machine guns being used in murders,
only 1 that I know of in the last 50 years. And that was a cop with a
department sub-machine gun who went nuts and murdered his wife. A Glock is
a semi-automatic pistol. You have to pull the trigger each shot. The
AK-47's look a likes in the US are also semi-auto. The fact that the kids
have guns is not the question, it is why are they killing each other? Guns
were very common in the 1950's in the US. Lots of families used them for
hunting and sport. Very few gang violence killings. Why now? What has
changed in society since mid 1960's that spawned all the violence?

Wolfgang
November 15th, 2005, 12:37 PM
"David Snedeker" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Wolfgang" > wrote in message
>>

> Slicing thru your drivel, I guess it comes down to you liking the movie
> product of the "majors,"

I really couldn't care less about the business of movie making in general or
which models tend to produce what level of product in particular. With
regard to those products, I tend to be fairly undemanding. For me, film has
always been more a source of mindless entertainment than some sort of
heraldic escutcheon. The willing suspension of disbelief comes very easily
to me in a darkened theater.....much more so than in contemplation of the
sources of information on current events. I mean, "Weekly Reader",
"People", and the supermarket tabloids are o.k., as far as they go, but
there ARE other points of view.

> and your feeling that ideology doesn't suck.

Well, that's a little unfair. Have I not conceded that your does?

> As to
> "innumerable" whatnot, you have never demonstrated anything regarding
> ideology sucking,

Once again, I HAVE. See above.

> with the exception of revealing you don't understand
> either word.

In fact, you know that I do.....you are fairly certain that I understand
both better than most do (and, you're right......how does it feel?)....and
you strongly suspect that I know better than anyone else here. I wouldn't
know about that.....but it IS flattering.

> As for your taste in movies, if trash culture does it for you, fill er up.

We've already covered my taste in movies. I'll forego recapitulating here
and now.....but I'll be happy to take the matter up again at some later
date.

> I find most of it painful (hurts my ears) and degrading.

My, my, aren't we just the sensitive little artiste? :)

> I stopped
> apologizing years ago for my tastes in fine art, film, and music,

And it has never occurred to you that there might be a middle ground between
apologizing and boasting?

> life is
> too short to spend it on crap,

And yet, here you are.

> pretend that Arnold is kool, pretend Billy
> Crystal is funny, or pretend that women who look like boys with tits as
> big
> as their heads are inherently interesting.

Well, it is certainly true that pretending Arnold is "kool", Billy Crystal
is funny, and women who look like boys with tits as big as their heads are
inherently interesting, would leave one with a lot less time and energy to
devote to pretending a superior cultural aesthetic. But then, in a
make-believe life, disconnected from any semblance of reality, it hardly
matters, does it?

> As for "fa schifo" I doubt you will ever understand either its similarity
> the English "suck," or the difference.

No, you don't.

> And if someone learning the basics of
> a few languages is another one of those things that make you
> uncomfortable,
> thats just sad.

Uncomfortable? No, no, not in the least. My admiration knows no bounds. I
only wish that my own humble efforts in.....oh, say German.....could
approach your demonstrated mastery of Italian!

> Dave
> Ideology still sucks

Still hee, hee, hee.

Wolfgang
wondering just how many languages make up "a few". :)

Conan The Librarian
November 15th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Bill McKee wrote:

> A Glock is not an automatic weapon. Does not fall under the machine gun /
> destructive weapons definition. As to machine guns being used in murders,
> only 1 that I know of in the last 50 years. And that was a cop with a
> department sub-machine gun who went nuts and murdered his wife. A Glock is
> a semi-automatic pistol. You have to pull the trigger each shot. The
> AK-47's look a likes in the US are also semi-auto. The fact that the kids
> have guns is not the question, it is why are they killing each other? Guns
> were very common in the 1950's in the US. Lots of families used them for
> hunting and sport. Very few gang violence killings. Why now? What has
> changed in society since mid 1960's that spawned all the violence?

Good question. What do *you* think has happened since the mid
sixties that has led to gang violence?

Chuck Vance (who blames it on the eevul librul media ... or Clinton)

David Snedeker
November 15th, 2005, 06:54 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "David Snedeker" > wrote in message
> . ..

> > Slicing thru your drivel, I guess it comes down to you liking the movie
> > product of the "majors,"
>
> I really couldn't care less about the business of movie making in general
or
> which models tend to produce what level of product in particular. With
> regard to those products, I tend to be fairly undemanding. For me, film
has
> always been more a source of mindless entertainment than some sort of
> heraldic escutcheon. The willing suspension of disbelief comes very
easily
> to me in a darkened theater...

Well that pretty much dismisses almost 100 years of creative output and an
entire artform.

"..much more so than in contemplation of the
> sources of information on current events. I mean, "Weekly Reader",
> "People", and the supermarket tabloids are o.k., as far as they go, but
> there ARE other points of view.

And therefore maybe you can share your typical current event sources. Ive
never heard from you any understanding of a public policy or current event
issue beyond what one would get from a mildly progressive home town rag.
Thats actually unlike some of your other inputs/reading which is often quite
broad and sometimes interesting, particularly when you get out of the
"hee,hee,hee" mode.

> Once again, I HAVE. See above.
>
> > with the exception of revealing you don't understand
> > either word.

You really don't understand the word ideology. Maybe your frame of reference
is too fouled or whatever, but Ive not the inclination to work thru this one
with you. If you were so inclined you could have explored at least Fascism
and Marxism years ago and developed a clue or two. But I guess we'll just
have to settle for your mastery of Snickerism.

SNIP INSULTS

> Uncomfortable? No, no, not in the least. My admiration knows no bounds.
> only wish that my own humble efforts in.....oh, say German.....could
> approach your demonstrated mastery of Italian!

Ive only a smattering of basic German. I will probably do a crash/jam in
German when I have time for a decent stay there. From what Ive seen it is
pretty close to English, and is very tinkertoy-like in how it constructs
words. (EX: translate "Pork"). I like it, and it makes me laugh. My wife
speaks decent basic German and knows a few poems.

Since you ask...

I can read, write, speak and sometimes think in Mexican Spanish after
studying it all my life, but struggle with Spanish fiction. I was very
lucky to study Spanish at BYU whose language programs were very advanced. I
can get by in Italian but my head hurts after about a week. I think Italian
is the nicest language on the tongue. Ive learned a little French, and am
presently learning a little Czech. For some reason I cannot understand
spoken Portuguese but I can read it (w/dictionary handy). Ive found the
Steves guides and the Dummies series the most useful.

In the US some people are impressed by language facility, but from the
little travel Ive done Ive learned that its no big deal: much of the world
apparently is multilingual. And while English is spoken widely, using the
local language opens doors that English alone does not. Language study is
also a good way to fight the effects of aging on the brain. I put about as
much effort into it as many who do a difficult daily crossword.

Dave

Mike Connor
November 15th, 2005, 09:58 PM
"David Snedeker" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..
<SNIP>
>. From what Ive seen it is
> pretty close to English, and is very tinkertoy-like in how it constructs
> words. (EX: translate "Pork"). I like it, and it makes me laugh. My wife
> speaks decent basic German and knows a few poems.

Yep, that tinkertoy stuff is a breeze.

http://coli.lili.uni-bielefeld.de/Texttechnologie/Forschergruppe/sekimo/internet-praesentation/index-d.html

TL
MC

Wolfgang
November 15th, 2005, 11:32 PM
"David Snedeker" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Wolfgang" > wrote in message
>>
>> "David Snedeker" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>
>> > Slicing thru your drivel, I guess it comes down to you liking the movie
>> > product of the "majors,"
>>
>> I really couldn't care less about the business of movie making in general
> or
>> which models tend to produce what level of product in particular. With
>> regard to those products, I tend to be fairly undemanding. For me, film
> has
>> always been more a source of mindless entertainment than some sort of
>> heraldic escutcheon. The willing suspension of disbelief comes very
> easily
>> to me in a darkened theater...
>
> Well that pretty much dismisses almost 100 years of creative output and an
> entire artform.

Really? You think my tastes should be taken as gospel by all of humanity?
I'll try to keep that in mind.

> "..much more so than in contemplation of the
>> sources of information on current events. I mean, "Weekly Reader",
>> "People", and the supermarket tabloids are o.k., as far as they go, but
>> there ARE other points of view.
>
> And therefore maybe you can share your typical current event sources.

I don't have any typical current events sources. When a current event
captures my interest I go where I suspect I'll get interesting and/or
valuable perspectives on it. Not suprisingly, I'm generally disappointed in
that expectation. Then I come here to get a good laugh. It invairably
lightens my mood. :)

And, anyway, news junkies are......well, junkies. Junkies, when you get
right down to it, aren't very reliable.

> Ive
> never heard from you any understanding of a public policy or current event
> issue beyond what one would get from a mildly progressive home town rag.

And I've seen precious little from you that smacked of lucidity. Looks like
about a horse apiece to me.

> Thats actually unlike some of your other inputs/reading which is often
> quite
> broad and sometimes interesting,

I DO find some of it interesting......most of it, as a matter of fact, since
I've gotten out of the abysmal habit of finishing stuff that failed to hold
my interest out of what I can only assume (since I also gave up on the
tedious and ultimately solipsistic practice of self-analysis a long time
ago......besides, I've got you and Stevie to do that for me......don't I?)
was some kind of misguided sense of duty.....or something. As for the
putative breadth of my reading, well, my taste in reading is like my taste
in film; it simply is what it is. I make no apology for it, nor is it a
source of misplaced pride. In short, MY life is not a performance submitted
for YOUR much hoped for validation.

> particularly when you get out of the
> "hee,hee,hee" mode.

Hee, hee, hee. :)

>> Once again, I HAVE. See above.
>>
>> > with the exception of revealing you don't understand
>> > either word.
>
> You really don't understand the word ideology. Maybe your frame of
> reference
> is too fouled or whatever, but Ive not the inclination to work thru this
> one
> with you. If you were so inclined you could have explored at least Fascism
> and Marxism years ago and developed a clue or two. But I guess we'll just
> have to settle for your mastery of Snickerism.
>
> SNIP INSULTS
>
>> Uncomfortable? No, no, not in the least. My admiration knows no bounds.
>> only wish that my own humble efforts in.....oh, say German.....could
>> approach your demonstrated mastery of Italian!
>
> Ive only a smattering of basic German. I will probably do a crash/jam in
> German when I have time for a decent stay there. From what Ive seen it is
> pretty close to English, and is very tinkertoy-like in how it constructs
> words. (EX: translate "Pork"). I like it, and it makes me laugh. My wife
> speaks decent basic German and knows a few poems.

Well......gosh.

> Since you ask...
>
> I can read, write, speak and sometimes think in Mexican Spanish after
> studying it all my life, but struggle with Spanish fiction. I was very
> lucky to study Spanish at BYU whose language programs were very advanced.
> can get by in Italian but my head hurts after about a week. I think
> Italian
> is the nicest language on the tongue. Ive learned a little French, and am
> presently learning a little Czech. For some reason I cannot understand
> spoken Portuguese but I can read it (w/dictionary handy). Ive found the
> Steves guides and the Dummies series the most useful.

Well......gosh.

> In the US some people are impressed by language facility, but from the
> little travel Ive done Ive learned that its no big deal: much of the world
> apparently is multilingual.

Could have saved yourself the trip. Common knowledge........ainna, Stevie?
:)

> And while English is spoken widely, using the
> local language opens doors that English alone does not.

Well, it's just one revelation after another! Astonishing! Who'da thunk
it?

> Language study is
> also a good way to fight the effects of aging on the brain. I put about as
> much effort into it as many who do a difficult daily crossword.

Fight harder.

Wolfgang
oh, by the way, slender women with large breasts are, so far as i can tell,
fully human. so, yes, they ARE inherently interesting. it comes as no
surprise that you disagree.

David Snedeker
November 16th, 2005, 12:28 AM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message

> "David Snedeker" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> . ..
> <SNIP>
> >. From what Ive seen it is
> > pretty close to English, and is very tinkertoy-like in how it constructs
> > words. (EX: translate "Pork"). I like it, and it makes me laugh. My wife
> > speaks decent basic German and knows a few poems.
> >

> Yep, that tinkertoy stuff is a breeze.

http://coli.lili.uni-bielefeld.de/Texttechnologie/Forschergruppe/sekimo/internet-praesentation/index-d.html

> TL
> MC

Es tut mir leid. Ich verstehe nicht. En Vereinigte Staaten, "Tinkertoy" ist
un spielzeug mechanisch mit teile austauschen. Tinkertoy ist sehr gut, ja?

"Pork"= schweinefleisch= schweine+fleisch= pig flesh

Dave

Mike Connor
November 16th, 2005, 12:39 AM
"David Snedeker" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..
<SNIP>
> Es tut mir leid. Ich verstehe nicht. En Vereinigte Staaten, "Tinkertoy"
> ist
> un spielzeug mechanisch mit teile austauschen. Tinkertoy ist sehr gut, ja?
>
> "Pork"= schweinefleisch= schweine+fleisch= pig flesh
>
> Dave

Das macht ueberhaupt nichts, es ist nicht erforderlich alles zu verstehen,
auch wenn es moeglich waere, was es aber ja offensichtlich nicht ist.
Tinkertoys sind hier genau gleich wie in Amerika, aber das hat eigentlich
gar nichts mit der Sprache zu tun.

Mir ist klar was Schweinefleisch ist, und der Aufbau von komplexe Woerter
ist mir auch durchaus vertraut, Ich kann sogar
Donaudampfschifffahrtskapitänsanwärter buchstabieren, und weiss auch was es
bedeutet. Ich glaube allerdings nicht das es etwas mit Tinkertoys zu tun
hat.

Tja, manche Sachen machen einfach Spass, gebe ich einfach zu, manche aber
auch nicht. Der Trick ist, die Unterschiede erkennen zu koennen.

PH
MC

Wolfgang
November 16th, 2005, 12:54 AM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message

> "David Snedeker" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> . ..
> <SNIP>
>> Es tut mir leid. Ich verstehe nicht. En Vereinigte Staaten, "Tinkertoy"
>> ist
>> un spielzeug mechanisch mit teile austauschen. Tinkertoy ist sehr gut,
>> ja?
>>
>> "Pork"= schweinefleisch= schweine+fleisch= pig flesh
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Das macht ueberhaupt nichts, es ist nicht erforderlich alles zu verstehen,
> auch wenn es moeglich waere, was es aber ja offensichtlich nicht ist.
> Tinkertoys sind hier genau gleich wie in Amerika, aber das hat eigentlich
> gar nichts mit der Sprache zu tun.
>
> Mir ist klar was Schweinefleisch ist, und der Aufbau von komplexe Woerter
> ist mir auch durchaus vertraut, Ich kann sogar
> Donaudampfschifffahrtskapitänsanwärter buchstabieren, und weiss auch was
> es bedeutet. Ich glaube allerdings nicht das es etwas mit Tinkertoys zu
> tun hat.
>
> Tja, manche Sachen machen einfach Spass, gebe ich einfach zu, manche aber
> auch nicht. Der Trick ist, die Unterschiede erkennen zu koennen.

Well said. Wouldn't you agree, Davie?

Hee, hee, hee.

Wolfgang

David Snedeker
November 16th, 2005, 07:39 AM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message

> "David Snedeker" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> . ..
> <SNIP>
> > Es tut mir leid. Ich verstehe nicht. En Vereinigte Staaten, "Tinkertoy"
> > ist
> > un spielzeug mechanisch mit teile austauschen. Tinkertoy ist sehr gut,
ja?

> > "Pork"= schweinefleisch= schweine+fleisch= pig flesh
> >
> > Dave
> >

> Das macht ueberhaupt nichts, es ist nicht erforderlich alles zu verstehen,
> auch wenn es moeglich waere, was es aber ja offensichtlich nicht ist.
> Tinkertoys sind hier genau gleich wie in Amerika, aber das hat eigentlich
> gar nichts mit der Sprache zu tun.
>
> Mir ist klar was Schweinefleisch ist, und der Aufbau von komplexe Woerter
> ist mir auch durchaus vertraut, Ich kann sogar
> Donaudampfschifffahrtskapitänsanwärter buchstabieren, und weiss auch was
es
> bedeutet. Ich glaube allerdings nicht das es etwas mit Tinkertoys zu tun
> hat.
>
> Tja, manche Sachen machen einfach Spass, gebe ich einfach zu, manche aber
> auch nicht. Der Trick ist, die Unterschiede erkennen zu koennen.
>
> PH
> MC

Mike
Other than getting the gist that you are advancing the value of a general
understanding by keeping things simple, this is beyond my vocabulary, and
between the verbs, colloquialisms and the extra "e"s its beyond my limited
German to read with confidence. But please tell me this, why do you put in
all those extra "e"s (ex: ueberhaupt) is that just what one does when the
umlaut isn't on the keyboard? Thats it I guess, right?

Im afraid this is more up Wolflout's arschloch.

Dave
Lordy, lordy lordy
Donaudampfschifffahrtskapitänsanwärter
Why not just say "Danube Steamer Capitan Candidate"?

David Snedeker
November 16th, 2005, 08:04 AM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "David Snedeker" > wrote in message
> . ..

Ill just SNIP all the fore stuff because first off, you really do not have a
clue as to whats what in the real world, and secondly Id never expect you to
even try out your German.
But its your last comment that deserves comment.

> Wolfgang
> oh, by the way, slender women with large breasts are, so far as i can
tell,
> fully human. so, yes, they ARE inherently interesting. it comes as no
> surprise that you disagree.

My comment was about women who looked like boys with tits as big as their
heads. I do recognize that there are boys (both young and old) who find
women who look like boys with tits, interesting. And there are boys who find
boys who look like girls with tits, interesting. And yes they are all human.
I just like women who look like women, and very skinny ("slender"? )
hip-less women who affect a boy look don't interest me. I just don't have
sexual feelings for the male gender, or look, or women the size and shape of
pubecent teenagers, or children. But that should not suprise you oh
Wolflout.

Dave

Wolfgang
November 16th, 2005, 11:31 AM
"David Snedeker" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Wolfgang" > wrote in message
>>
>> "David Snedeker" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>> >
> Ill just SNIP all the fore stuff because first off, you really do not have
> clue as to whats what in the real world, and secondly Id never expect you
> even try out your German.
> But its your last comment that deserves comment.
>
>> Wolfgang
>> oh, by the way, slender women with large breasts are, so far as i can
> tell,
>> fully human. so, yes, they ARE inherently interesting. it comes as no
>> surprise that you disagree.
>
> My comment was about women who looked like boys with tits as big as their
> heads. I do recognize that there are boys (both young and old) who find
> women who look like boys with tits, interesting. And there are boys who
> find
> boys who look like girls with tits, interesting. And yes they are all
> human.
> I just like women who look like women, and very skinny ("slender"? )
> hip-less women who affect a boy look don't interest me. I just don't have
> sexual feelings for the male gender, or look, or women the size and shape
> of
> pubecent teenagers, or children. But that should not suprise you oh
> Wolflout.

I'm not easy to surprise. This is no great accomplishment. It's just that
intentionally or otherwise.....and it is usually otherwise.....people tend
to be consistent. All one has to do is watch them for a while.

Wolfgang

Mike Connor
November 16th, 2005, 04:47 PM
"David Snedeker" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..

<SNIP>
> But please tell me this, why do you put in
> all those extra "e"s (ex: ueberhaupt) is that just what one does when the
> umlaut isn't on the keyboard? Thats it I guess, right?

Yes.

TL
MC

Mike Connor
November 16th, 2005, 05:11 PM
If I used the umlauts on my keyboard, and the German "eszett" you would see
this;

ÄÜÖ äöü ß

Which will be whatever characters your current keyboard driver translates
them to.

I actually typed the umlauts in the above example. In order to avoid
confusion when using electronic media, the umlauts are written as ,
ae ue oe and the esszett is written as "ss"

TL
MC

Mike Connor
November 16th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Sorry! "current keyboard driver" should read "character set".

TL
MC

David Snedeker
November 16th, 2005, 09:08 PM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message
> If I used the umlauts on my keyboard, and the German "eszett" you would
see
> this;
>
> ÄÜÖ äöü ß
>
> Which will be whatever characters your current keyboard driver translates
> them to.
>
> I actually typed the umlauts in the above example. In order to avoid
> confusion when using electronic media, the umlauts are written as ,
> ae ue oe and the esszett is written as "ss"
>
> TL
> MC

I get the esszetts, its the umlauts that throw me. But hey, its still better
than the 40 or so letters of the Czech, and their diacritical marks. About
the only thing I find easier in Czech is the verb system: 3 tenses, period.

Thanx
Dave

Mike Connor
November 16th, 2005, 09:17 PM
"David Snedeker" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..
<SNIP>
> I get the esszetts, its the umlauts that throw me. But hey, its still
> better
> than the 40 or so letters of the Czech, and their diacritical marks.
> About
> the only thing I find easier in Czech is the verb system: 3 tenses,
> period.
>
> Thanx
> Dave

The only thing I find easy about Czech is;

http://www.fishandfly.co.uk/tledit0500a.html

Which is not surprising, as I don´t know anything else at all about it! :)

I tried to learn Russian once, but gave up after a relatively short while.
My wife spoke seven languages more or less fluently, and knew a lot about
several others. I always found this fascinating, and I was always rather
envious as well.

So much to do, so much to know and learn, and so little

TL
MC