PDA

View Full Version : HEY JOEL!; new pictures on Frapper

Wolfgang
November 10th, 2005, 06:05 PM
While speaking to Joel on the phone the other night, I promised to post a
picture of a spot that John, George, Jacci and I fished on the Sturgeon
river in the U.P. back in September.

Jeff, you might be interested in these as well. These are at Sturgeon
Falls, a few miles downstream from where we fished last year.

Wolfgang
the rest of you have permission for a one time only viewing.......for a
shiny new nickel......no cheating! :(

Tim J.
November 10th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Wolfgang typed:
> While speaking to Joel on the phone the other night, I promised to
> post a picture of a spot that John, George, Jacci and I fished on the
> Sturgeon river in the U.P. back in September.
>
> Jeff, you might be interested in these as well. These are at Sturgeon
> Falls, a few miles downstream from where we fished last year.
>
> Wolfgang
> the rest of you have permission for a one time only viewing.......for
> a shiny new nickel......no cheating! :(

The check is in the mail. Looks like a nice place.
--
TL,
Tim

Wolfgang
November 10th, 2005, 10:37 PM
"Tim J." > wrote in message
> Wolfgang typed:
>> While speaking to Joel on the phone the other night, I promised to
>> post a picture of a spot that John, George, Jacci and I fished on the
>> Sturgeon river in the U.P. back in September.
>>
>> Jeff, you might be interested in these as well. These are at Sturgeon
>> Falls, a few miles downstream from where we fished last year.
>>
>> Wolfgang
>> the rest of you have permission for a one time only viewing.......for
>> a shiny new nickel......no cheating! :(
>
> The check is in the mail.

I hope it's faster than the thousands of others I've been waiting for.
:(

> Looks like a nice place.

It's a beautiful place. The whole U.P. is chock full of beautiful places.
And there's more good trout water within an hour's drive of that place than
a full blown ROFFian clave could do justice to. So much, in fact, that in
nearly twenty years of fishing in the western U.P. (not to mention more than
35 years of hanging out in the neighborhood) I never even knew that this
place existed until John and I saw a small roadside sign marking the trail
to the falls. Hell, there is so much good trout water throughout the region
that George, who has lived in northern Wisconsin nearly long enough to be
granted the coveted status of "museum specimen," and who lives barely two
hours drive away, suffered his first exposure to both the Ontonagon and the
Sturgeon when he and Jacci joined us! Big fish are not the rule on most of
these waters, but John wrassled a 16 inch brown and George one over 18,
both in the quarter mile stretch covered by these two photos. I raised a
couple of others in the same hole where George hooked his.

Tentative plans are in the works for a genuine U.P. clave, complete with
clave central, for same time next year. Fruition will depend in large part
on response. If we can get even half a dozen firm commitments I'll be happy
to do the necessary leg work, both preparatory and in situ. Watch for an
official announcement in the next week or two.

Wolfgang

Wayne Harrison
November 10th, 2005, 11:17 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote

> Tentative plans are in the works for a genuine U.P. clave, complete with
> clave central, for same time next year. Fruition will depend in large
> part on response.

in.

yfitons
wayno

Ken Fortenberry
November 10th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Wolfgang wrote:
> Tentative plans are in the works for a genuine U.P. clave, complete with
> clave central, for same time next year. Fruition will depend in large part
> on response. If we can get even half a dozen firm commitments I'll be happy
> to do the necessary leg work, both preparatory and in situ. Watch for an
> official announcement in the next week or two.

I'll commit as firmly as I can without knowing the dates.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Wolfgang
November 10th, 2005, 11:45 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
> Wolfgang wrote:
>> ... Tentative plans are in the works for a genuine U.P. clave, complete
>> with clave central, for same time next year. Fruition will depend in
>> large part on response. If we can get even half a dozen firm commitments
>> I'll be happy to do the necessary leg work, both preparatory and in situ.
>> Watch for an official announcement in the next week or two.
>
> I'll commit as firmly as I can without knowing the dates.

September seems to a slack period for claves.....and it's a truly wonderful
time to be in da nort woods, eh?.......notwithstanding the mind boggling
temperatures we encountered this year.

Typically, temperatures are what we in this part of the world refer to as
"moderate"......daytime highs in the upper 60s to mid 70s (on average) and
nighttime lows in the mid 50s down to light frost. Nasty bitey
insects.....of which there are phenomenal numbers in spring to mid
summer.....are all but absent and the fish generally regain their appetites
after the late summer doldrums.

This year, we did the 9th through the 17th. A week later would increase the
likelihood of running into the spawners (browns and salmon) coming up from
the big lakes, but residents are available regardless. The season ends for
sure on most Wisconsin waters on the 30th, and I think this is also the case
in Michigan.....only the Great Lakes tribs are open, usually up to the first
barrier to upstream migration, after that.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
November 10th, 2005, 11:48 PM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message
om...

> "Wolfgang" > wrote
>
>> Tentative plans are in the works for a genuine U.P. clave, complete with
>> clave central, for same time next year. Fruition will depend in large
>> part on response.
>
> in.

Excellent! Um.....can you hogtie Jeffie and put him on a plane? :)

Mark?.....Tom?.....Uncle Wally?.....Snake?......IJ?.......?

Wolfgang

Wayne Harrison
November 10th, 2005, 11:56 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote

Um.....can you hogtie Jeffie and put him on a plane? :)

hell, i couldn't put his left leg on a plane. ever tried to dead lift
200 pounds?

> Mark?.....Tom?.....Uncle Wally?.....Snake?......IJ?.......?

folded carefully in my carry bag will be a flag of the old north state,
to be flown upon our entry.

yfitons
wayno

Wolfgang
November 11th, 2005, 12:47 AM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message
om...

> "Wolfgang" > wrote
>

> Um.....can you hogtie Jeffie and put him on a plane? :)
>
> hell, i couldn't put his left leg on a plane. ever tried to dead lift
> 200 pounds?
>>
>> Mark?.....Tom?.....Uncle Wally?.....Snake?......IJ?.......?
>
> folded carefully in my carry bag will be a flag of the old north state,
> to be flown upon our entry.
>
> yfitons
> wayno

Wolfgang
November 11th, 2005, 01:00 AM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message
om...

> "Wolfgang" > wrote
>

> Um.....can you hogtie Jeffie and put him on a plane? :)
>
> hell, i couldn't put his left leg on a plane. ever tried to dead lift
> 200 pounds?

Well, about 185......every morning. But no, not 200......not yet.

>> Mark?.....Tom?.....Uncle Wally?.....Snake?......IJ?.......?
>
> folded carefully in my carry bag will be a flag of the old north state,
> to be flown upon our entry.

I can promise that your reciprocal arrival will be greeted......um......at
least as cordially as were your hosts' forebears on their visit of just a
few of generations back. Fly whatever colors you please, my friend.
:)

Wolfgang
who, incidentally, just recently passed on an opportunity to meet the author
of "The Men Stood Like Iron".

Wayne Harrison
November 11th, 2005, 01:27 AM
"Wolfgang" > wrote

> I can promise that your reciprocal arrival will be greeted......um......at
> least as cordially as were your hosts' forebears on their visit of just a
> few of generations back. Fly whatever colors you please, my friend. :)

i blame it on those damnable cool black hats...

yfitons
wayno(style *really matters*)

asadi
November 11th, 2005, 11:44 AM
"Wolfgang"
> Tentative plans are in the works for a genuine U.P. clave, complete with
> clave central, for same time next year. Fruition will depend in large
> part on response. If we can get even half a dozen firm commitments I'll
> be happy to do the necessary leg work, both preparatory and in situ.
> Watch for an official announcement in the next week or two.
>
> Wolfgang

Confirm me.

john

asadi
November 11th, 2005, 11:44 AM
"Wolfgang" <.

> Jeff, you might be interested in these as well. These are at Sturgeon
> Falls, a few miles downstream from where we fished last year.
>
> Wolfgang
> the rest of you have permission for a one time only viewing.......for a
> shiny new nickel......no cheating! :(

I'll need a link wolf...

john

Wolfgang
November 11th, 2005, 12:30 PM
"asadi" > wrote in message

> "Wolfgang"
>> Tentative plans are in the works for a genuine U.P. clave, complete with
>> clave central, for same time next year. Fruition will depend in large
>> part on response. If we can get even half a dozen firm commitments I'll
>> be happy to do the necessary leg work, both preparatory and in situ.
>> Watch for an official announcement in the next week or two.
>>
>> Wolfgang
>>

> Confirm me.

Done.

Um.......but I guess I can't guarantee that the accommodations will be as
luxurious as they were last time. :)

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
November 11th, 2005, 12:35 PM
"asadi" > wrote in message

> "Wolfgang" <.
>>
>> Jeff, you might be interested in these as well. These are at Sturgeon
>> Falls, a few miles downstream from where we fished last year.
>>
>> Wolfgang
>> the rest of you have permission for a one time only viewing.......for a
>> shiny new nickel......no cheating! :(
>
> I'll need a link wolf...
>
> john

http://www.frappr.com/roff

As you are one of the featured performers in these photos, there will be no
charge for viewing. :)

Wolfgang

William Claspy
November 11th, 2005, 01:23 PM
On 11/10/05 5:37 PM, in article , "Wolfgang"
> wrote:

> Tentative plans are in the works for a genuine U.P. clave, complete with
> clave central, for same time next year. Fruition will depend in large part
> on response. If we can get even half a dozen firm commitments I'll be happy
> to do the necessary leg work, both preparatory and in situ. Watch for an
> official announcement in the next week or two.

Ahhh, why bother? I mean, the fishing is so-so, the food unpredictable, the
weather questionable, the biting/stinging bugs voracious, it's hellandgone
from just about everywhere and the natives don't even speak English!

Bill

ps. I should be free that week.

:-)

George Cleveland
November 11th, 2005, 02:24 PM
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:23:07 -0500, William Claspy
> wrote:

>On 11/10/05 5:37 PM, in article , "Wolfgang"
> wrote:
>
>> Tentative plans are in the works for a genuine U.P. clave, complete with
>> clave central, for same time next year. Fruition will depend in large part
>> on response. If we can get even half a dozen firm commitments I'll be happy
>> to do the necessary leg work, both preparatory and in situ. Watch for an
>> official announcement in the next week or two.
>
>Ahhh, why bother? I mean, the fishing is so-so, the food unpredictable, the
>weather questionable, the biting/stinging bugs voracious, it's hellandgone
>from just about everywhere and the natives don't even speak English!
>
>Bill
>
>ps. I should be free that week.
>
>:-)

I will be there.

g.c.

Wayne Knight
November 11th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Wolfgang wrote:

>The season ends for
> sure on most Wisconsin waters on the 30th, and I think this is also the case
> in Michigan.....only the Great Lakes tribs are open, usually up to the first
> barrier to upstream migration, after that.

Typically in Michigan, special regulation trout waters are open to C&R
year round. IIRC, there's not a whole lot of that in the UP but there
are some. If you could schedule this thing round the middle of the
month when the grouse season opens, that would be dandy.

Tom Nakashima
November 11th, 2005, 05:57 PM
I noticed you have a few photos, which one is you? Or are both photos of
you?
-tom

William Claspy
November 11th, 2005, 06:30 PM
On 11/11/05 12:57 PM, in article , "Tom
Nakashima" > wrote:

> I noticed you have a few photos, which one is you? Or are both photos of
> you?
> -tom

I won't answer for Wolfgang- but I think most of the photos under "photos"
on Frappr are labeled with names.

But I will note that the most comprehensive (or reprehensive, not sure
which) rogue's gallery of ROFFians lives here:

http://css.sbcma.com/timj/roffpics/Willi_roff_folks/

Bill

Wolfgang
November 11th, 2005, 06:38 PM
"Tom Nakashima" > wrote in message
>I noticed you have a few photos, which one is you? Or are both photos of
>you?

I assume this is directed to me. The one labeled:

Posted by: Wolfgang Siebeneich
Date: 11.04.2005
Location: Milwaukee (WI)

and showing the back of a crouching figure is me.

One of the figures in the photo labeled:

Posted by: Graham County NC

is me as well.

Wolfgang

Tom Nakashima
November 11th, 2005, 06:54 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "Tom Nakashima" > wrote in message
>>I noticed you have a few photos, which one is you? Or are both photos of
>>you?
>
> I assume this is directed to me. The one labeled:
>
> Posted by: Wolfgang Siebeneich
> Date: 11.04.2005
> Location: Milwaukee (WI)
>
> and showing the back of a crouching figure is me.
>
> One of the figures in the photo labeled:
>
> Posted by: Graham County NC
>
> is me as well.
>
> Wolfgang

Ok, thanks for clearing that up, very nice photos btw.
-tom

Joel *DFD*
November 11th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Cool looking spot Wolf.
Thanks for posting.
Joel

Jeff Miller
November 11th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Wolfgang wrote:

> While speaking to Joel on the phone the other night, I promised to post a
> picture of a spot that John, George, Jacci and I fished on the Sturgeon
> river in the U.P. back in September.
>
> Jeff, you might be interested in these as well. These are at Sturgeon
> Falls, a few miles downstream from where we fished last year.
>
> Wolfgang
> the rest of you have permission for a one time only viewing.......for a
> shiny new nickel......no cheating! :(

i'm frapp-url-less... didn't save url. plus...it'd be too painful to
discover i'm always going in the wrong direction. i still think
upstream holds mysteries worth seeking...

Jeff Miller
November 11th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Wolfgang wrote:

> "Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
>
>>Wolfgang wrote:
>>
>>>... Tentative plans are in the works for a genuine U.P. clave, complete
>>>with clave central, for same time next year. Fruition will depend in
>>>large part on response. If we can get even half a dozen firm commitments
>>>I'll be happy to do the necessary leg work, both preparatory and in situ.
>>>Watch for an official announcement in the next week or two.
>>
>>I'll commit as firmly as I can without knowing the dates.
>

> September seems to a slack period for claves.....and it's a truly wonderful
> time to be in da nort woods, eh?.......notwithstanding the mind boggling
> temperatures we encountered this year.
>
> Typically, temperatures are what we in this part of the world refer to as
> "moderate"......daytime highs in the upper 60s to mid 70s (on average) and
> nighttime lows in the mid 50s down to light frost. Nasty bitey
> insects.....of which there are phenomenal numbers in spring to mid
> summer.....are all but absent and the fish generally regain their appetites
> after the late summer doldrums.
>
> This year, we did the 9th through the 17th. A week later would increase the
> likelihood of running into the spawners (browns and salmon) coming up from
> the big lakes, but residents are available regardless. The season ends for
> sure on most Wisconsin waters on the 30th, and I think this is also the case
> in Michigan.....only the Great Lakes tribs are open, usually up to the first
> barrier to upstream migration, after that.
>
> Wolfgang

i'm on board (some form of transportation) for the u.p. where will we
be staying?

jeff

Mike Connor
November 11th, 2005, 11:31 PM
"Jeff Miller" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> i'm frapp-url-less... didn't save url. plus...it'd be too painful to
> discover i'm always going in the wrong direction. i still think upstream
> holds mysteries worth seeking...

Hopefully painless;

http://www.frappr.com/roff

TL
MC

Wolfgang
November 12th, 2005, 01:57 AM
"Wayne Knight" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Wolfgang wrote:
>
>>The season ends for
>> sure on most Wisconsin waters on the 30th, and I think this is also the
>> case
>> in Michigan.....only the Great Lakes tribs are open, usually up to the
>> first
>> barrier to upstream migration, after that.
>
> Typically in Michigan, special regulation trout waters are open to C&R
> year round. IIRC, there's not a whole lot of that in the UP but there
> are some. If you could schedule this thing round the middle of the
> month when the grouse season opens, that would be dandy.

Grouse season....check! Bret Fisher, an old friend who lives in the
neighborhood, shot five grouse (if he is to be believed) one day while John
and I were up there. Grouse opens about the middle of September. Friday
the 15th of September through Sunday the 24th sounds doable. Fall colors,
brookies in spawning colors, sunshine, mild temps........works for me.
:)

Wolfgang
o.k., folks, vote early.....vote often.

Wolfgang
November 12th, 2005, 02:01 AM
"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
> i'm on board (some form of transportation) for the u.p. where will we be
> staying?

To be determined. All preferences for style and location will be taken
under advisement. I'll be in touch.

Wolfgang
to whom it begins to look like any sort of formal announcement will be
tardy. :)

Wolfgang
November 12th, 2005, 02:04 AM
"George Cleveland" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:23:07 -0500, William Claspy
> > wrote:

> ...I should be free that week.
>>
>>:-)
>>
> I will be there.

O.k., Cleveland is in.......Claspy is easy.

Wolfgang
well, cheap is as good as......ainna? :)

Wolfgang
November 12th, 2005, 02:11 AM
"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
> Wolfgang wrote:
>
>> ...Sturgeon Falls, a few miles downstream....
>>

> i'm frapp-url-less... didn't save url.

Say no more....

http://www.frappr.com/roff

> plus...it'd be too painful to discover i'm always going in the wrong
> direction. i still think upstream holds mysteries worth seeking...

Well, dat's da nice ting about da Yoop.....a fella can swing bote
ways......who would know, eh? :)

Wolfgang

asadi
November 12th, 2005, 02:35 AM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "asadi" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Wolfgang" <.
>>>
>>> Jeff, you might be interested in these as well. These are at Sturgeon
>>> Falls, a few miles downstream from where we fished last year.
>>>
>>> Wolfgang
>>> the rest of you have permission for a one time only viewing.......for a
>>> shiny new nickel......no cheating! :(
>>
>> I'll need a link wolf...
>>
>> john
>
> http://www.frappr.com/roff
>
> As you are one of the featured performers in these photos, there will be
> no charge for viewing. :)
>
> Wolfgang
I'm lost. john

Wolfgang
November 12th, 2005, 03:01 AM
"asadi" > wrote in message

> I'm lost. john

Click on the link:

http://www.frappr.com/roff

Scroll down to the Recent Photos.

It's free. :)

Wolfgang

asadi
November 12th, 2005, 03:32 AM
"Wolfgang" > Scroll down to the Recent Photos.

> It's free. :)
>
> Wolfgang

Well, , I see ROOF shouts. I see your thumbnail but that's it....I feel so
stupid.

john

Jeff Miller
November 12th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Wolfgang wrote:
> "Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
>
>>Wolfgang wrote:
>>

>>>...Sturgeon Falls, a few miles downstream....
>>>

>>i'm frapp-url-less... didn't save url.
>

> Say no more....
>
> http://www.frappr.com/roff
>

>>plus...it'd be too painful to discover i'm always going in the wrong
>>direction. i still think upstream holds mysteries worth seeking...
>

> Well, dat's da nice ting about da Yoop.....a fella can swing bote
> ways......who would know, eh? :)
>
> Wolfgang

thanks to you and mike for the url. incredible shot of the sandstone
wall. i've definitely gotta see that! ....and upstream.

jeff

Wolfgang
November 12th, 2005, 01:30 PM
"asadi" > wrote in message
t...

> "Wolfgang" > Scroll down to the Recent Photos.
>>
>> It's free. :)
>>
>> Wolfgang
>>

> Well, , I see ROOF shouts. I see your thumbnail but that's it....I feel so
> stupid.

Hm.....

When Frappr opens on my screen there is a line at the top that reads: roff
[map|photos]

Just below this is a map of the world with the locations of all members
marked by red flags with a round black dot in the center.

To the right of the map is a photo of the official ROFF "Carolina 'Clave
'99" flag, below which is a list (including thumbnails.....if provided) of
the now 32 members. Immediately to the right of this is a scroll bar which
allows you to see those members who don't fit in the limited space. Further
to the right is another scroll bar which allows you to move down the
page.....not just the list.

Under the map is a title bar that reads: Recent Photos. Just under this are
the 5 most recently submitted photos. Clicking on any of them moves you
forward to a full screen view of that photo.

Lower still is a box titled: Add Yourself.

This is simply a membership form. Above and to the right of this box is a
clickable link that says: View all Photos>>

This will take you to a series of pages showing all the photos posted thus
far. These pages can also be accessed by clicking on the "photos" portion
of the roff [map|photos] line way back at the top of the screen.

Next down the page is a section titled: roff shoutouts

Both the thumbnails here and the names are clickable. Clicking any one of
them opens a larger version of the picture and its label in a text balloon
on the map with an "arrow" pointing to the members approximate location.

There's a couple of other odds and ends, but that pretty much covers the
major features. If you screen looks different the problem is beyond me. If
it looks like what I described, then clicking on the "roff [map|photos]",
the "View all Photos>>", or any of the individual photos in the "Recent
Photos" section should do it for you.

Good luck! :)

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
November 12th, 2005, 02:24 PM

>> http://www.frappr.com/roff

> thanks to you and mike for the url. incredible shot of the sandstone
> wall. i've definitely gotta see that!

It was pretty amazing to stumble on that after all these years of playing in
the woods up there. You'll definitely like it.

....and upstream.

John and I had planned to explore upstream this year. However, the drought
conditions were severe. At the campground, just a couple hundreds yards
below the bridge where we fished last year, there wasn't enough water to
make fishing worth the trouble. It was extremely low, slow, clear, and
warm. Since the bottom here is cobblestones on bedrock, it was immediately
obvious that there were no fish......there was simply no place for them to
hide.

Looking at DeLorme's Street Atlas just now, I noticed what should have
smacked me in the face long ago. The bridge is less than half a mile below
the confluence of the Perch and the Sturgeon, both of which drain
substantial watersheds. In the high water conditions that prevailed the
first time I fished the Sturgeon it was both dangerous and unproductive. A
short walk up along the banks would have made all the difference in the
world. Looks like we missed a good bet when we failed to follow through on
upstream exploration last year. Marking it off on the map, it looks like
there's about twenty miles of the Perch and over thirty miles of the
Sturgeon we haven't even seen yet.......and that's not counting various
tributaries. :)

Wolfgang

Cyli
November 13th, 2005, 07:56 AM
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 03:32:53 GMT, "asadi"
> wrote:

>"Wolfgang" > Scroll down to the Recent Photos.
>>
>> It's free. :)
>>
>> Wolfgang
>>

>Well, , I see ROOF shouts. I see your thumbnail but that's it....I feel so
>stupid.
>
>john

I had that problem, too. I use Mozilla FireFox. So I dropped off and
loaded up Internet Explorer (or whatever they call it) and that worked
just fine.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: (strip the .invalid to email)

GaryM
November 13th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Cyli > wrote in
:

> I had that problem, too. I use Mozilla FireFox. So I dropped off
> and loaded up Internet Explorer (or whatever they call it) and
> that worked just fine.

To fix Firefox go to the options page, make sure Enable Javascript is
on. Beside it there is a button "Advanced". Clink on that and check
"Allow scripts to load and move images".

HTH,

Gary

Frank Church
November 13th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Cyli > wrote in
:

> I had that problem, too. I use Mozilla FireFox. So I dropped off and
> loaded up Internet Explorer (or whatever they call it) and that worked
> just fine.

....just an FYI Cyli...in Firefox, go to tools/extensions/and go to the
extensions site. There's three extensions that I can't live without there:

View this page in IE..this will switch to IE on command right on the web
page you're trying to view.

Adblock..This will block those pesky ads.

Stumbleupon..You can waste literally hours with this one and find tons of
websites, not recommended for those who still work for a living. ;-)

There are many more, but you should have these three at a minimum.

Frank Sr.

Stan Gula
November 13th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Frank Church wrote:
> View this page in IE..this will switch to IE on command right on the
> web page you're trying to view.
>
> Adblock..This will block those pesky ads.
>
> Stumbleupon..You can waste literally hours with this one and find
> tons of websites, not recommended for those who still work for a
> living. ;-)
>
> There are many more, but you should have these three at a minimum.
>
> Frank Sr.

The first one is called ieview - which might make it easier to find.
There's also firefoxview which installs itself in Internet Explorer and lets
you launch Firefox from IE. Also very handy.

I also highly recommend imagezoom and flashblock. A lot of ads today are
done in Flash which bypassed some ad blockers. Flash is also the source of
the new wave of popups that are becoming common. With flashblock, all flash
content gets replaced by a clickable icon so you can launch it if you want
(like for example when viewing homestarrunner). You will be amazed by the
number of blocked flash animations you see...
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

GaryM
November 13th, 2005, 06:01 PM
"Stan Gula" > wrote in

> The first one is called ieview - which might make it easier to
> find. There's also firefoxview which installs itself in Internet
> Explorer and lets you launch Firefox from IE. Also very handy.
>
> I also highly recommend imagezoom and flashblock. A lot of ads
> today are done in Flash which bypassed some ad blockers. Flash is
> also the source of the new wave of popups that are becoming
> common.

You can resolve that one by following instructions here:

http://www.petebevin.com/archives/2005/03/10/firefox_popups.html

> With flashblock, all flash content gets replaced by a
> clickable icon so you can launch it if you want (like for example
> when viewing homestarrunner). You will be amazed by the number of
> blocked flash animations you see...

I was just looking at my list of plugins, so as we're on the subject:

SessionSaver -- Restores all tabs to where they were when you last
closed FF. Let's you predefine certain sessions that you can load
anytime.

WindowsUpdate -- Adds Windows Update to the FF Menu which in turn opens
IE at the MS page.

Linkification -- Makes text into clickable links.

Adblock - Obvious -- see also the Adblock forums for some regularly
updated signatures.

Google Toolbar for Firefox -- The official one. Gives instant feedback
as you type what you're looking for.

All in one Gestures -- You either love it or hate it, but there are few
gestures I use a lot and would miss.

Nightly tester tools - Makes extensions work regardless of the release
of Firefox you are on. I am Using Firefox 1.5 RC1 and all my plugins
work fine, that is, after I installed this puppy.

Cyli
November 15th, 2005, 06:00 AM
On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 12:17:19 GMT, Frank Church

:

>> I had that problem, too. I use Mozilla FireFox. So I dropped off and
>> loaded up Internet Explorer (or whatever they call it) and that worked
>> just fine.
>

>...just an FYI Cyli...in Firefox, go to tools/extensions/and go to the
>extensions site. There's three extensions that I can't live without there:
>
>View this page in IE..this will switch to IE on command right on the web
>page you're trying to view.

Thank you. It'll be a help for reading those pages with Web designers
who think MicroSoft is the entire thing for everyone.