PDA

View Full Version : Xmas Fishing Camera

Joe McIntosh
November 14th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Just in case she decides to give up tennis and takes up fishing I plan to
buy my wife a small- water resistant digital camera for Christmas.
What can I get for 200$ plus or minus ??
Suggestions for model and point of purchase will be welcomened.
Saw cormorant sitting on top of an osprey nest yesterday while kayaking - a
missed opportunity
Joe McIntosh

Daniel-San
November 14th, 2005, 02:00 PM
"Joe McIntosh" wrote ...
> Just in case she decides to give up tennis and takes up fishing I plan to
> buy my wife a small- water resistant digital camera for Christmas.
> What can I get for 200$ plus or minus ??
> Suggestions for model and point of purchase will be welcomened.
> Saw cormorant sitting on top of an osprey nest yesterday while kayaking -
> a missed opportunity
> Joe McIntosh

I've been looking at the Pentax Opto WP 5 MP camera for a while. A little
more than 200, but really the only water resistant digi cam I've found.Water
resistant to about 5 feet for 30 minutes or something like that. Very
compact, good zoom, etc.

http://www.adorama.com/IPXOWP.html?searchinfo=optio%20wp&item_no=1

249 at Adorama. 299 at Ritz Camera here in the Chicago area. Adorama has the
best price I've found.

There is a 6 MP version, but that raises the cost about 100 dollars.

Dan

BJ Conner
November 14th, 2005, 03:15 PM
I like all the Pentax Optio cameras however the WP 5 does not have a
view finder. What you take a picture of is what you see in the LCD
window. The LCD window works fine inside and in the dark. It it
useless in the sunlight.
Daniel-San wrote:
> "Joe McIntosh" wrote ...
> > Just in case she decides to give up tennis and takes up fishing I plan to
> > buy my wife a small- water resistant digital camera for Christmas.
> > What can I get for 200$ plus or minus ??
> > Suggestions for model and point of purchase will be welcomened.
> > Saw cormorant sitting on top of an osprey nest yesterday while kayaking -
> > a missed opportunity
> > Joe McIntosh
> >
> I've been looking at the Pentax Opto WP 5 MP camera for a while. A little
> more than 200, but really the only water resistant digi cam I've found.Water
> resistant to about 5 feet for 30 minutes or something like that. Very
> compact, good zoom, etc.
>
> http://www.adorama.com/IPXOWP.html?searchinfo=optio%20wp&item_no=1
>
> 249 at Adorama. 299 at Ritz Camera here in the Chicago area. Adorama has the
> best price I've found.
>
> There is a 6 MP version, but that raises the cost about 100 dollars.
>
> Dan

Daniel-San
November 14th, 2005, 03:27 PM
"BJ Conner" wrote ...
> Daniel-San wrote:
>> "Joe McIntosh" wrote ...
>> > Just in case she decides to give up tennis and takes up fishing I plan
>> > buy my wife a small- water resistant digital camera for Christmas.
>> > What can I get for 200$ plus or minus ??
>> > Suggestions for model and point of purchase will be welcomened.
>> > Saw cormorant sitting on top of an osprey nest yesterday while
>> > kayaking -
>> > a missed opportunity
>> > Joe McIntosh
>> >
>> I've been looking at the Pentax Opto WP 5 MP camera for a while. A little
>> more than 200, but really the only water resistant digi cam I've
>> found.Water
>> resistant to about 5 feet for 30 minutes or something like that. Very
>> compact, good zoom, etc.
>>
>> http://www.adorama.com/IPXOWP.html?searchinfo=optio%20wp&item_no=1
>>
>> 249 at Adorama. 299 at Ritz Camera here in the Chicago area. Adorama has
>> the
>> best price I've found.
>>
>> There is a 6 MP version, but that raises the cost about 100 dollars.
>>
>> Dan
>
>I like all the Pentax Optio cameras however the WP 5 does not have a
> view finder. What you take a picture of is what you see in the LCD
> window. The LCD window works fine inside and in the dark. It it
> useless in the sunlight.

Thanks for the info, BJ. Any other pros/cons for this camera? I've been
looking at it for a fishing camera -- something to keep in my vest and not
worry about if I take a spill in the river. Not too worried about
fancy-schmancy pics and all, just looking for something water
proof/resistant that's small and takes a decent snapshot.

Dan

Charlie Choc
November 14th, 2005, 04:12 PM
I have the Optio WP and don't find the viewfinder a problem, even in
the sun. I'd still prefer an optical viewfinder, but the digital one on
the WP is pretty bright.

Charlie Choc
November 14th, 2005, 04:14 PM
There were cormorants on the osprey nests in a wildlife area I was
hiking in yesterday, too, but I couldn't get a good shot even with a
telephoto.

rw
November 14th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Charlie Choc wrote:
> I have the Optio WP and don't find the viewfinder a problem, even in
> the sun. I'd still prefer an optical viewfinder, but the digital one on
> the WP is pretty bright.

How's the battery life? Those LCDs tend to use a lot of power.

Charlie Choc
November 14th, 2005, 04:37 PM
The LCD has an auto-dim, so it isn't on all the time. I've never run
the battery down, but I don't leave it on long (it starts up very
quickly when turned on) and typically recharge every night, so I don't
really know how many shots I could get on one charge.

Tom Nakashima
November 14th, 2005, 07:58 PM
"Daniel-San" > wrote in message
m...

>>> I've been looking at the Pentax Opto WP 5 MP camera for a while. A
>>> little
>>> more than 200, but really the only water resistant digi cam I've
>>> found.Water
>>> resistant to about 5 feet for 30 minutes or something like that. Very
>>> compact, good zoom, etc.
>>>
>>> http://www.adorama.com/IPXOWP.html?searchinfo=optio%20wp&item_no=1
>>>
>>> 249 at Adorama. 299 at Ritz Camera here in the Chicago area. Adorama has
>>> the
>>> best price I've found.
>>>
>>> There is a 6 MP version, but that raises the cost about 100 dollars.
>>>
>>> Dan
>>
>>I like all the Pentax Optio cameras however the WP 5 does not have a
>> view finder. What you take a picture of is what you see in the LCD
>> window. The LCD window works fine inside and in the dark. It it
>> useless in the sunlight.
>
> Thanks for the info, BJ. Any other pros/cons for this camera? I've been
> looking at it for a fishing camera -- something to keep in my vest and not
> worry about if I take a spill in the river. Not too worried about
> fancy-schmancy pics and all, just looking for something water
> proof/resistant that's small and takes a decent snapshot.
>
> Dan

Here's the link from Digital Photography Review on the Pentax Optio WPi:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pentax/pentax_optiowpi.asp
I was also thinking of purchasing this camera.
Included is a link for other distributors for the WPi
-tom

Daniel-San
November 14th, 2005, 08:11 PM
"Charlie Choc" wrote ...
> The LCD has an auto-dim, so it isn't on all the time. I've never run
> the battery down, but I don't leave it on long (it starts up very
> quickly when turned on) and typically recharge every night, so I don't
> really know how many shots I could get on one charge.

Thanks for the info. This camera will (would??) replace an ancient Nikon
Coolpix 2000 -- sans viewfinder, so I guess it would be what I'm used to.

As far as battery life goes...

I know there are a few variables here, such as flash usage, temperature, LCD
usage, etc., etc., but how long does "never run the battery down" comprise?
Weekend trips? Week long trips?

I hope to get a camera that will also replace my SLR for backpacking trips,
so a week's worth of usage on a battery is an important factor for me.

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel-San
November 14th, 2005, 08:15 PM
"Tom Nakashima" wrote ...

> Here's the link from Digital Photography Review on the Pentax Optio WPi:
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pentax/pentax_optiowpi.asp
> I was also thinking of purchasing this camera.
> Included is a link for other distributors for the WPi
> -tom

Thanks Tom.

Dan

Tom Nakashima
November 14th, 2005, 08:56 PM
"Daniel-San" > wrote in message

> "Charlie Choc" wrote ...
>> The LCD has an auto-dim, so it isn't on all the time. I've never run
>> the battery down, but I don't leave it on long (it starts up very
>> quickly when turned on) and typically recharge every night, so I don't
>> really know how many shots I could get on one charge.
>>

> Thanks for the info. This camera will (would??) replace an ancient Nikon
> Coolpix 2000 -- sans viewfinder, so I guess it would be what I'm used to.
>
> As far as battery life goes...
>
> I know there are a few variables here, such as flash usage, temperature,
> LCD usage, etc., etc., but how long does "never run the battery down"
> comprise? Weekend trips? Week long trips?
>
> I hope to get a camera that will also replace my SLR for backpacking
> trips, so a week's worth of usage on a battery is an important factor for
> me.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Yes agree Dan, the Pentax Optio WPi would be the digital camera I use
outdoors and not have to worry about getting abused or wet. For fine
indoor work, portrait, and product photography I have a digital Olympus
C8080. I would also pickup a spare battery and SD card for the Pentax.
-tom

Charlie Choc
November 14th, 2005, 08:57 PM
> I know there are a few variables here, such as flash usage, temperature, LCD
> usage, etc., etc., but how long does "never run the battery down" comprise?
> Weekend trips? Week long trips?

A couple of days, maybe 30-50 shots. I mostly use my Nikon D100 DSLR,
so I don't have that good a feel for battery life. I do carry a spare
battery, too,

Daniel-San
November 14th, 2005, 09:56 PM
"Charlie Choc" wrote ...
>> I know there are a few variables here, such as flash usage, temperature,
>> LCD
>> usage, etc., etc., but how long does "never run the battery down"
>> comprise?
>> Weekend trips? Week long trips?
>
> A couple of days, maybe 30-50 shots. I mostly use my Nikon D100 DSLR,
> so I don't have that good a feel for battery life. I do carry a spare
> battery, too,

I've seem your pics.... waaaayyyy more advanced than I'm capable of. I
'taught' myself photography (sorta, anyway) with a few books and an old AE-1
a few years ago. Kind of 'got into' it a bit. SWMBO gifted me a Rebel 2000
the year after. Nice camera -- certainly nothing professional, but a plenty
good camera for what I wanted -- decent outdoor shots. Picked up a few
lenses, and started shooting. And spending. I spent four or five hundred a
year easy on film and processing. Got to be an expensive hobby, especially
when the results are not much better than those obtained (by me, anyway)
with a point and shoot digital. Toyed with the idea of getting the digital
Rebel, but decided that I'm simply not that good a photographer to justify
spending 1000 dollars on a camera. Two or three hundred dollars for a
feather weight, idiot-proof (we'll see on that one...) camera that takes
decent shots seems a little more sensible for me.

Anyway, thanks much for the info. Camera oh-fishully listed on the bday/xmas
gift list.

Dan

BJ Conner
November 15th, 2005, 12:51 AM
Charlie Choc wrote:
> I have the Optio WP and don't find the viewfinder a problem, even in
> the sun. I'd still prefer an optical viewfinder, but the digital one on
> the WP is pretty bright.

What do you think of the Pentax Optio 43 WP?
If I see one in a store I'll probably buy it. I haven't looked on the
web for one. I think it's water proof to a lesser degree than the WP.
It doesn't look like a camera but none of them do.
My experience with Pentax service is great. Stories I have heard about
HP and Kodak service were bad.
Where's a good place to get the photocell in my old Ashi/Pentax
replaced?

Bill McKee
November 15th, 2005, 12:55 AM
"Daniel-San" > wrote in message
m...

> "BJ Conner" wrote ...
>> Daniel-San wrote:
>>> "Joe McIntosh" wrote ...
>>> >
>>> I've been looking at the Pentax Opto WP 5 MP camera for a while. A
>>> little
>>> more than 200, but really the only water resistant digi cam I've
>>> found.Water
>>> resistant to about 5 feet for 30 minutes or something like that. Very
>>> compact, good zoom, etc.
>>>
>>> http://www.adorama.com/IPXOWP.html?searchinfo=optio%20wp&item_no=1
>>>
>>> 249 at Adorama. 299 at Ritz Camera here in the Chicago area. Adorama has
>>> the
>>> best price I've found.
>>>
>>> There is a 6 MP version, but that raises the cost about 100 dollars.
>>>
>>> Dan
>>
>>I like all the Pentax Optio cameras however the WP 5 does not have a
>> view finder. What you take a picture of is what you see in the LCD
>> window. The LCD window works fine inside and in the dark. It it
>> useless in the sunlight.
>
> Thanks for the info, BJ. Any other pros/cons for this camera? I've been
> looking at it for a fishing camera -- something to keep in my vest and not
> worry about if I take a spill in the river. Not too worried about
> fancy-schmancy pics and all, just looking for something water
> proof/resistant that's small and takes a decent snapshot.
>
> Dan

I have a Sony DSC-60u waterprrof camera 2 megapix, can even be used under
water to 5'. They are close out anymore, but about $150 last I saw. Take
very good pictures. No zoom like the Pentax Optio, but good for the kayak
or fishing. Bought a Pentax Optio S5i for one of the daughters as she had
our Nikon coolpix 2500 (nice camera) and we were going up to June Lake loop.
Wife wants one now. Is not waterproof, but both optical and electronic
zoom, and fantastic pictures. And is very compact. Was looking at the
Optio WP, but local Costco had discontinued that model. Some Costco's had
them, others did not. $299.

Frank Reid
November 15th, 2005, 02:17 AM
> What do you think of the Pentax Optio 43 WP?

Uh, love it. Lets see, water proof, shock resistant, one-hand operation,
uh, did I say water proof and shock resistant?
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply