PDA

View Full Version : Upper Peninsula Yearly Exploratory and Reconnaissance Soiree

Wolfgang
November 15th, 2005, 01:54 AM
Attendance was notably light this year due to an unforeseeable confluence of
circumstances not likely to be repeated in what little time most of us have
remaining in this mortal coil......broken bones, connubial harmony, unsavory
hosts, blah, blah.

Nevertheless, our indefatigable crew is ready (well, as ready as they'll
ever be), willing, and ab.......um.......about to do it again.

Thus far, the honorables Mr. Harrison, Mr. Knight, Mr. Fortenberry, Mr.
Baker, Mr. Axelrad, Mr. Miller, Mr. Cleveland, and Mr. Claspy, while not
technically committed as yet, are sitting in the director's office awaiting
only the formal signing ceremony.

As noted in the past, I'm most familiar with the waters in the western U.P.,
centered on the Bruce Crossing area, but I'm willing to bow to consensus and
the greater experience and knowledge of anyone else who may sign on.......or
majority rule, for that matter.

For anyone wishing to camp, options are numerous. Anything requiring
something more.....um.....effete.....should let me know well in advance.
The options are pretty good in some areas......highly limited in others.
Let me know what your requirements are and we can work something out.

In deference to Wayne's stated desire to blow holes in the atmosphere, I
suggest the third week in September (grouse season opens around the 15th, I
think) as a good place to start negotiations. This is a week later than
this years event and I have it from a very reliable source that the fall
migrants from the big lake were already showing up in significant numbers.
The possibility of sweetening the pot with a multi-pound brown trout or
salmon can hardly hurt, I guess. Fall colors.....better here than in most
places.....are typically near peak about that time of year.

In general, one can't expect significant numbers of large fish. The growing
season is short, and the waters tend to be fairly infertile. What one CAN
reasonably expect is light competition from other fishers in a gorgeous
northwoods setting and, judging by the list above, most excellent company.
And yes, there are plenty of fish, including many brookies of stupefying
beauty. For those inclined to sightseeing (hey, bring the family!) there
are thousands of miles of logging roads through deep forest, hundreds of
waterfalls, quaint maritime villages, copper mines, and various other
attractions. Biting insects, horrific in the spring and early summer (am I
lyin' Jeffie?), are virtually absent by this time. And there isn't a dry
county within reach. :)

Plenty of time to work out details. Let me know what y'all have got in
mind.

Wolfgang
oh, and check out the photos of agate falls on frappr......there WILL be an
opportunity to rappel from the trestle to the jagge.......um.....the river
bed. :)