PDA

View Full Version : Static cling

JR
November 15th, 2005, 04:02 AM
I live very close to a little grocery store. Right across the street.
Close enough to walk. Just went to pick up a six-pack of beer. The girl
at the cash register looked at me, smiled, and just as I started
thinking "See, maybe I'm not such an old fart after all, and young women
still fin..."

"You tie a lot of flies?", she interrupted my flight of self-deception,
grinning now.

I looked down, and well, what do you know: there on the front of my
fleece pullover were two colors of bucktail, bits of tan wool and purple
chenille, some krystal flash, some flashabou, *lots* of comparadun hair,
and several shades of dubbing.

Winter.

Time to Dustbuster myself before going out..... <BG>

JR

daytripper
November 15th, 2005, 04:25 AM
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:02:49 -0800, JR > wrote:

>I live very close to a little grocery store. Right across the street.
>Close enough to walk. Just went to pick up a six-pack of beer. The girl
>at the cash register looked at me, smiled, and just as I started
>thinking "See, maybe I'm not such an old fart after all, and young women
>still fin..."
>
>"You tie a lot of flies?", she interrupted my flight of self-deception,
>grinning now.
>
>I looked down, and well, what do you know: there on the front of my
>fleece pullover were two colors of bucktail, bits of tan wool and purple
>chenille, some krystal flash, some flashabou, *lots* of comparadun hair,
>and several shades of dubbing.
>
>Winter.
>
>Time to Dustbuster myself before going out..... <BG>
>
>JR

Next time, tell 'em you have Avian Flu...

Tim J.
November 15th, 2005, 12:28 PM
JR typed:
> I live very close to a little grocery store. Right across the street.
> Close enough to walk. Just went to pick up a six-pack of beer. The
> girl at the cash register looked at me, smiled, and just as I started
> thinking "See, maybe I'm not such an old fart after all, and young
> women still fin..."

Maybe you looked like her grandpa? ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

JohnR
November 15th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Yes but the important thing in the story is that the girl knew enough to
know that you tied flies. Think about it - how many girls would know that
you tied flies by what was sticking to your jacket?

"JR" > wrote in message ...
> I live very close to a little grocery store. Right across the street.
> Close enough to walk. Just went to pick up a six-pack of beer. The girl
> at the cash register looked at me, smiled, and just as I started
> thinking "See, maybe I'm not such an old fart after all, and young women
> still fin..."
>
> "You tie a lot of flies?", she interrupted my flight of self-deception,
> grinning now.
>
> I looked down, and well, what do you know: there on the front of my
> fleece pullover were two colors of bucktail, bits of tan wool and purple
> chenille, some krystal flash, some flashabou, *lots* of comparadun hair,
> and several shades of dubbing.
>
> Winter.
>
> Time to Dustbuster myself before going out..... <BG>
>
> JR

riverman
November 15th, 2005, 03:06 PM
That was my thought. I think she was hitting on him, and he totally
dropped the ball. Probably will <never> get another chance like that,
either.

--riverman

November 15th, 2005, 03:14 PM
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:24:45 GMT, "JohnR" > wrote:

>Yes but the important thing in the story is that the girl knew enough to
>know that you tied flies. Think about it - how many girls would know that
>you tied flies by what was sticking to your jacket?

Well, where is JR and how old is he? Maybe the "girl" went to high
school with Walt and Winnie Dette or something...

TC,

>"JR" > wrote in message ...
>> I live very close to a little grocery store. Right across the street.
>> Close enough to walk. Just went to pick up a six-pack of beer. The girl
>> at the cash register looked at me, smiled, and just as I started
>> thinking "See, maybe I'm not such an old fart after all, and young women
>> still fin..."
>>
>> "You tie a lot of flies?", she interrupted my flight of self-deception,
>> grinning now.
>>
>> I looked down, and well, what do you know: there on the front of my
>> fleece pullover were two colors of bucktail, bits of tan wool and purple
>> chenille, some krystal flash, some flashabou, *lots* of comparadun hair,
>> and several shades of dubbing.
>>
>> Winter.
>>
>> Time to Dustbuster myself before going out..... <BG>
>>
>> JR

Kevin Vang
November 15th, 2005, 03:25 PM
In article . com>,
says...
> That was my thought. I think she was hitting on him, and he totally
> dropped the ball. Probably will <never> get another chance like that,
> either.

Geez, he only bought a six-pack. It's not like he won't be going
back there again soon enough...

Kevin

riverman
November 15th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Yeah, but what kind of girl will go out with a guy who dustbusters
himself??
:-)

--riverman

Mike Connor
November 15th, 2005, 03:45 PM
"riverman" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
> Yeah, but what kind of girl will go out with a guy who dustbusters
> himself??
> :-)
>
> --riverman

You might be surprised! Some of them even cling! :)

TL
MC

FlyCaughtInTree
November 15th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Is *that* what the kids are calling it these days?

JR
November 15th, 2005, 07:46 PM
wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:24:45 GMT, "JohnR" > wrote:
>
>>Yes but the important thing in the story is that the girl knew enough to
>>know that you tied flies. Think about it - how many girls would know that
>>you tied flies by what was sticking to your jacket?
>
> Well, where is JR and how old is he? Maybe the "girl" went to high
> school with Walt and Winnie Dette or something...

I did ask her how she knew. Said her dad and both her brothers tied
flies. (This is Bend, Oregon, after all, not Boston).

"That darned stuff was all over the house.... drove my mom nuts."

I don't see much future in the relationship, however. For one thing,
she *is* young, almost high-school young, and I, well, truth be
told...... I *am* kind of an old fart.

[Sigh]

Still, it could be worse. Another several years, I might go in a store
and the young girls will be smiling to themselves 'cause my fly is open
and I've got split pea soup dribbled all down my front. <g>

JR
(old enough to know better.....)

Frank Reid
November 15th, 2005, 07:54 PM
> I don't see much future in the relationship, however. For one thing,
> she *is* young, almost high-school young, and I, well, truth be
> told...... I *am* kind of an old fart.

Hey, JR. Don't sell yourself short. You're the epitome of an old fart.
--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

JR
November 15th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Frank Reid wrote:
>>I don't see much future in the relationship, however. For one thing,
>>she *is* young, almost high-school young, and I, well, truth be
>>told...... I *am* kind of an old fart.
>
> Hey, JR. Don't sell yourself short. You're the epitome of an old fart.

How many times do I have to tell ya??? It was the Jambalaya!

JR
(who can't wait 'til *some* people's memories start failing...)

JR
November 15th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Tim J. wrote:
> JR typed:
>
>>girl at the cash register looked at me, smiled, and just as I started
>>thinking "See, maybe I'm not such an old fart after all, and young
>>women still fin..."
>
> Maybe you looked like her grandpa? ;-)

Who said conservatives aren't heartless and cruel? :)

Mark F.
November 16th, 2005, 01:32 AM
STOP IT I HAVE TEARS IN MY EYES!!!

"daytripper" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:02:49 -0800, JR > wrote:
>
>>I live very close to a little grocery store. Right across the street.
>>Close enough to walk. Just went to pick up a six-pack of beer. The girl
>>at the cash register looked at me, smiled, and just as I started
>>thinking "See, maybe I'm not such an old fart after all, and young women
>>still fin..."
>>
>>"You tie a lot of flies?", she interrupted my flight of self-deception,
>>grinning now.
>>
>>I looked down, and well, what do you know: there on the front of my
>>fleece pullover were two colors of bucktail, bits of tan wool and purple
>>chenille, some krystal flash, some flashabou, *lots* of comparadun hair,
>>and several shades of dubbing.
>>
>>Winter.
>>
>>Time to Dustbuster myself before going out..... <BG>
>>
>>JR
>
> Next time, tell 'em you have Avian Flu...

Mark F.
November 16th, 2005, 01:34 AM
You should have said I get anther six pack and show you my woolly buggers.