PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops Lakes

lwalters
November 15th, 2005, 03:26 PM
I'm planning a flyfishing trip to the Kamloops area this spring and would
like to know when the ice comes off the lower elevation lakes. Any help?

Lorne

briansfly
November 15th, 2005, 06:06 PM
lwalters wrote:
> I'm planning a flyfishing trip to the Kamloops area this spring and would
> like to know when the ice comes off the lower elevation lakes. Any help?
>
> Lorne

You should get a definitive answer here.

http://forum.fishbc.com/index.php?s=a1b640918e53732f8a276ece5bf1d6ac&showforum=2

brians

Bill Kiene
November 16th, 2005, 06:29 AM
May/June is the prime time for most lakes in that area.

Averagely May is more for chironomides and June is more damsel, mayfly and
caddis hatches.

I did say "Averagely".

Good Kamloops fly shop: http://www.kamfly.com/ Al Long is always very
helpful there.

Local biologist Brian Chan can usually give you some good info.

http://www.bcadventure.com/bchan/

There are ~200 lakes within 2 hours drive of Kamloops. Brian Chan has ~1500
lakes in his area.

You can stay in Kamloops and drive out daily to a different lake.

Most of the good hatches are between 10am and 2pm.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

"lwalters" > wrote in message

> I'm planning a flyfishing trip to the Kamloops area this spring and would
> like to know when the ice comes off the lower elevation lakes. Any help?
>
> Lorne

Ralph Heidecke
November 17th, 2005, 01:56 AM
"lwalters" > wrote in message
> I'm planning a flyfishing trip to the Kamloops area this spring and would
> like to know when the ice comes off the lower elevation lakes. Any help?
>
> Lorne

Most lakes don't officially open until May 1 -

See: http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/pdf/region_3.pdf

by then most lakes under 3500ft and possibly under 4000ft should be open.
Quality of the fishing is another question. Ice out varies from year to
year. If it's a warm spring lakes may be hopping by early May - if cold many
lakes could still be in turnover. Scheduling vacation to correspond with Ice
out is a crap shoot.

Early fishing tends to concentrate on scuds, leeches, bloodworms and dragons
but watch for water boatmen hatches. Chironomids (midges) follow quickly
after but good fishing depends on fair weather. If it's cold and raint
except it to be slow.

Some lakes are known to be open and fishable quite early and these include:
Stump (late March, early April), White, Barnes, Jacko, Six Mile Courtney
etc. In the last 10 years we've had the odd mild winter where neither White
or Stump froze completely and there were stories of fish caught in open
water in January.

Be sure to check with local shops and the FishBc forum for current reports
before your trip.