PDA

View Full Version : Rain X

GO
November 17th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Anyone tried Rain X (or similar product) on a boat windscreen, I am thinking
of trying this next season so any info on how effective it is would be
welcome.

william mason
November 18th, 2005, 09:52 PM
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:36:06 -0000, "GO" > wrote:

>Anyone tried Rain X (or similar product) on a boat windscreen, I am thinking
>of trying this next season so any info on how effective it is would be
>welcome.

I have used Rain X on the boat windows for several years, and although
it needs to be re-applied regularly, it is certainly worthwhile, as
the wipers are hardly ever used. In fact, I would not consider NOT
using it.

GO
November 19th, 2005, 10:25 PM
"william mason" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:36:06 -0000, "GO" > wrote:
>
>>Anyone tried Rain X (or similar product) on a boat windscreen, I am
>>thinking
>>of trying this next season so any info on how effective it is would be
>>welcome.
>>
> I have used Rain X on the boat windows for several years, and although
> it needs to be re-applied regularly, it is certainly worthwhile, as
> the wipers are hardly ever used. In fact, I would not consider NOT
> using it.

Do you have glass or perspex windows? Mine are a type of hard perspex.

william mason
November 19th, 2005, 11:41 PM
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:25:04 -0000, "GO" > wrote:

>"william mason" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:36:06 -0000, "GO" > wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone tried Rain X (or similar product) on a boat windscreen, I am
>>>thinking
>>>of trying this next season so any info on how effective it is would be
>>>welcome.
>>>
>> I have used Rain X on the boat windows for several years, and although
>> it needs to be re-applied regularly, it is certainly worthwhile, as
>> the wipers are hardly ever used. In fact, I would not consider NOT
>> using it.
>
>Do you have glass or perspex windows? Mine are a type of hard perspex.

My windows are glass.
I have just read the label, on the front it says "The original glass
treatment", and on the back " Do not apply to plastic or paint
surfaces", so it may not be suitable for perspex.

GO
November 20th, 2005, 03:25 PM
"william mason" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:25:04 -0000, "GO" > wrote:

>>> I have used Rain X on the boat windows for several years, and although
>>> it needs to be re-applied regularly, it is certainly worthwhile, as
>>> the wipers are hardly ever used. In fact, I would not consider NOT
>>> using it.
>>
>>Do you have glass or perspex windows? Mine are a type of hard perspex.
>>
> My windows are glass.
> I have just read the label, on the front it says "The original glass
> treatment", and on the back " Do not apply to plastic or paint
> surfaces", so it may not be suitable for perspex.

I may get some & try on some scrap material before getting anything near the
boat! Do you have any perspex you could experiment with?

william mason
November 23rd, 2005, 07:40 PM
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 15:25:22 -0000, "GO" > wrote:

>I may get some & try on some scrap material before getting anything near the
>boat! Do you have any perspex you could experiment with?

I don't have any perspex, but have tried on a scrap of clear
polycarbonate (Lexan), which seems to be unaffected ( no misting or
softening) but now sheds water as if it were glass. You could always
try it on an out of the way corner of the windscreen before going the
whole hog !

GO
November 23rd, 2005, 09:11 PM
"william mason" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 15:25:22 -0000, "GO" > wrote:
>

>>I may get some & try on some scrap material before getting anything near
>>the
>>boat! Do you have any perspex you could experiment with?
>>
> I don't have any perspex, but have tried on a scrap of clear
> polycarbonate (Lexan), which seems to be unaffected ( no misting or
> softening) but now sheds water as if it were glass. You could always
> try it on an out of the way corner of the windscreen before going the
> whole hog !

Thanks, my windows are probably the same type of material (tougher than
perspex) I shall have a go in an inconspicuous area, I could email the
manufacturers for some advice.......

Clint Sharp
November 24th, 2005, 10:17 AM
In message >, GO
> writes
>Thanks, my windows are probably the same type of material (tougher than
>perspex) I shall have a go in an inconspicuous area, I could email the
>manufacturers for some advice.......

If they're polycarbonate you need to ask the manufacturer, IIRC
polycarbonate does some funny things when certain chemicals are used on
it, I.E. it becomes very brittle whilst showing little sign of damage.
Definitely worth the cost of a 'phone call/email IMHO.
--
Clint Sharp

GO
November 25th, 2005, 05:35 PM
"Clint Sharp" > wrote in message
> In message >, GO
> > writes
>>Thanks, my windows are probably the same type of material (tougher than
>>perspex) I shall have a go in an inconspicuous area, I could email the
>>manufacturers for some advice.......
>>

> If they're polycarbonate you need to ask the manufacturer, IIRC
> polycarbonate does some funny things when certain chemicals are used on
> it, I.E. it becomes very brittle whilst showing little sign of damage.
> Definitely worth the cost of a 'phone call/email IMHO.
> --
> Clint Sharp

Have emailed the manufacturer (MG) and am waiting for their reply, are there
other similar products on the market for polycarbonate?

GO
November 25th, 2005, 05:35 PM
"Clint Sharp" > wrote in message
> In message >, GO
> > writes
>>Thanks, my windows are probably the same type of material (tougher than
>>perspex) I shall have a go in an inconspicuous area, I could email the
>>manufacturers for some advice.......
>>

> If they're polycarbonate you need to ask the manufacturer, IIRC
> polycarbonate does some funny things when certain chemicals are used on
> it, I.E. it becomes very brittle whilst showing little sign of damage.
> Definitely worth the cost of a 'phone call/email IMHO.
> --
> Clint Sharp

Have emailed the manufacturer (MG) and am waiting for their reply, are there
other similar products on the market for polycarbonate?

malcolm
December 2nd, 2005, 10:59 PM
Clint Sharp wrote:
> In message >, GO
> > writes
>
>> Have emailed the manufacturer (MG) and am waiting for their reply, are
>> there
>> other similar products on the market for polycarbonate?
>>

> Not sure, I'd wait to find out what the screen is made of or contact the
> Rain-X manufacturer and ask them if it's suitable for use or if they can
> offer an alternative.

Motorcycle visors are made of polycarbonate, and the rain x stuff is
prob similar to the silicone treatment for them.

you used to be able to buy blocks of stuff in car accesory shops.
prob still can. smear on and polish.

January 6th, 2006, 08:18 PM
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:40:43 +0000, william mason
> wrote:

>You could always try it on an out of the way corner of the windscreen
>before going the whole hog !

As I recall the directions for Rain-X contains a caution notice about
limiting skin contact. I would be careful about using it on a hog.
Perhaps, when it rains, you might fit the beast with a large plastic
trash bag with holes cut in it at appropriate locations.