PDA

View Full Version : Honey Bee Pattern

Bob La Londe
November 19th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Is a honey bee pattern a solid one? Maybe in the fall when all the drones
are getting kicked out of the hives and dying in the cold?

My absolute best day fly fishing I was casting a honey bee and letting it
drift over a pocket and down a riffle at the bottom of the pocket. I got
hit almost every drift for the first 30 or 40 passes. That particular day
was mid summer, but I was wondering why it did so good for me. I had tried
three or four other patterns in the same spot before that one. I only saw
one actual bee on the water the whole day. In fact it was after I spotted
it that I tried the bee pattern.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Mike Connor
November 19th, 2005, 06:21 PM
"Bob La Londe" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Is a honey bee pattern a solid one? Maybe in the fall when all the drones
> are getting kicked out of the hives and dying in the cold?
>
> My absolute best day fly fishing I was casting a honey bee and letting it
> drift over a pocket and down a riffle at the bottom of the pocket. I got
> hit almost every drift for the first 30 or 40 passes. That particular day
> was mid summer, but I was wondering why it did so good for me. I had
> tried three or four other patterns in the same spot before that one. I
> only saw one actual bee on the water the whole day. In fact it was after
> I spotted it that I tried the bee pattern.
>
> --
> Bob La Londe
> http://www.YumaBassMan.com

One of those things that either work well or just donīt work at all, with
normally the latter being the case. It is also not certain that the trout
took it for a bee. They may have been feeding on beetles or similar, which
the pattern you used was a reasonable imitation of.

Trout will take bees, but they only relatively seldom fall on the water.
So, a bee pattern may be worth carrying, for the odd occasion when it might
occur, but I would not rely on it.

TL
MC

Wolfgang
November 19th, 2005, 09:26 PM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message

> "Bob La Londe" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Is a honey bee pattern a solid one? Maybe in the fall when all the
>> drones are getting kicked out of the hives and dying in the cold?
>>
>> My absolute best day fly fishing I was casting a honey bee and letting it
>> drift over a pocket and down a riffle at the bottom of the pocket. I got
>> hit almost every drift for the first 30 or 40 passes. That particular
>> day was mid summer, but I was wondering why it did so good for me. I had
>> tried three or four other patterns in the same spot before that one. I
>> only saw one actual bee on the water the whole day. In fact it was after
>> I spotted it that I tried the bee pattern.
>>
>> --
>> Bob La Londe
>> http://www.YumaBassMan.com
>>

> One of those things that either work well or just donīt work at all, with
> normally the latter being the case. It is also not certain that the trout
> took it for a bee. They may have been feeding on beetles or similar, which
> the pattern you used was a reasonable imitation of.
>
> Trout will take bees, but they only relatively seldom fall on the water.
> So, a bee pattern may be worth carrying, for the odd occasion when it
> might occur, but I would not rely on it.

I agree with all of that. However, it occurs to me that there must
occasionally be instances in which a relatively large number of drones falls
onto water after a nuptial flight. This might explain the odd case of fish
feeding on them, if not preferentially, then at least with some enthusiasm.

Wolfgang

Mike Connor
November 19th, 2005, 10:52 PM
"Wolfgang" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
>> Trout will take bees, but they only relatively seldom fall on the water.
>> So, a bee pattern may be worth carrying, for the odd occasion when it
>> might occur, but I would not rely on it.
>
> I agree with all of that. However, it occurs to me that there must
> occasionally be instances in which a relatively large number of drones
> falls onto water after a nuptial flight. This might explain the odd case
> of fish feeding on them, if not preferentially, then at least with some
> enthusiasm.
>
> Wolfgang

May be of interest;
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/bees/making.html

http://koning.ecsu.ctstateu.edu/Plants_Human/bees/bees.html

For quite a number of years, an old Russian emigrant had a few hives in my
garden. My house was surrounded by Linden trees, and the bees apparently
produce very good honey from these. We got a large pot of honey from him
every year. It really was good.

He told me that bees only mate in certain places, and never over water. I
donīt know whether this is true or not, but the old man was very
knowledgeable indeed about everything to do with bees. He also knew of a few
"mating places" in the area, and he was going to show me, but somehow we
never got around to doing it when the bees were mating.

TL
MC

vincent p. norris
November 20th, 2005, 03:27 AM
>Is a honey bee pattern a solid one?

With remarkable timing, the current issue of Fly Tyer, which arrived
just today, contains an article on making bee patterns using foam.

vince

Ralph Heidecke
November 22nd, 2005, 01:09 AM
..

--
remove
"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> Is a honey bee pattern a solid one? Maybe in the fall when all the drones
> are getting kicked out of the hives and dying in the cold?
>
> My absolute best day fly fishing I was casting a honey bee and letting it
> drift over a pocket and down a riffle at the bottom of the pocket. I got
> hit almost every drift for the first 30 or 40 passes. That particular day
> was mid summer, but I was wondering why it did so good for me. I had
> tried three or four other patterns in the same spot before that one. I
> only saw one actual bee on the water the whole day. In fact it was after
> I spotted it that I tried the bee pattern.
>
> --
> Bob La Londe
> http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Some years back I ran into a situation where trout were certainly feeding on
bees. There's a spot on the Fraser River I fish, a small creek enters the
river and on the adjacent land a farmer kept bees. The Fraser has a fishery
for cutthroat in the winter and early spring and by late feb or in March we
usually have some warm spring like days. I fished here on a couple of
occasions on such warm days when trout were taking something off the surface
but I couldn't figure out what. I did catch a couple on nymphs and streamers
and killed a pair. These fish proved to be stuffed with honey bees. The way
I figured it - the bees flew as the day warmed but in the cooler air over
the river "ran out of gas" and fell into the river attracting the trout.
Unfortunately the farmer doesn't keep bees anymore and due to a plague of
mites most commercial bee operators do not keep bees over the winter after
taking their crop of honey 0 but destroy the hive and buy bees from out of
province in the spring

rw
November 22nd, 2005, 01:26 AM
I've found bees in trout stomachs several times. Often as not, they're
really seriously stinging wasps -- yellow jackets. One more datum point
that says fish don't feel pain.

Wolfgang
November 22nd, 2005, 01:45 AM
"rw" > wrote in message
. net...

> I've found bees in trout stomachs several times. Often as not, they're
> really seriously stinging wasps -- yellow jackets. One more datum point
> that says fish don't feel pain.

Nope. One datum that suggests trout eat insects that are capable of
inflicting painful.....and sometimes lethal....stings. Says nothing at all
about whether or not fish feel pain.

Wolfgang
who, despite a great deal of experience, STILL finds it curious that so many
are so absolutely bereft of any sense of what data tell them.

rw
November 22nd, 2005, 01:59 AM
Wolfgang wrote:
> "rw" > wrote in message
> . net...
>
>>I've found bees in trout stomachs several times. Often as not, they're
>>really seriously stinging wasps -- yellow jackets. One more datum point
>>that says fish don't feel pain.
>

> Nope. One datum that suggests trout eat insects that are capable of
> inflicting painful.....and sometimes lethal....stings. Says nothing at all
> about whether or not fish feel pain.
>
> Wolfgang
> who, despite a great deal of experience, STILL finds it curious that so many
> are so absolutely bereft of any sense of what data tell them.

My God, you are so dense. That comment was meant as an ironic jab at our
dear fool Barry, and not meant to be taken seriously.

I have little doubt that fish feel pain. I just don't get all blubbery
about it. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I don't give a ****. I do.
I'll take reasonable steps to minimize a fish's suffering, but it
doesn't keep me awake at night.

Wolfgang
November 22nd, 2005, 02:24 AM
"rw" > wrote in message
et...
> Wolfgang wrote:
>> "rw" > wrote in message
>> . net...
>>
>>>I've found bees in trout stomachs several times. Often as not, they're
>>>really seriously stinging wasps -- yellow jackets. One more datum point
>>>that says fish don't feel pain.
>>

>> Nope. One datum that suggests trout eat insects that are capable of
>> inflicting painful.....and sometimes lethal....stings. Says nothing at
>> all about whether or not fish feel pain.
>>
>> Wolfgang
>> who, despite a great deal of experience, STILL finds it curious that so
>> many are so absolutely bereft of any sense of what data tell them.
>
> My God, you are so dense. That comment was meant as an ironic jab at our
> dear fool Barry, and not meant to be taken seriously.

You think he got it? Wanna try a lecture on signal transduction pathways
next? Give him a bit of the old calcium channels.....g-coupled
proteins....that sort of thing?

> I have little doubt that fish feel pain.

Wouldn't surprise me much to discover that they aren't much interested in
whether or not you do. Odds are they'd be dubious.

> I just don't get all blubbery about it.

Well, nothing's sacred.

> I wouldn't go so far as to say that I don't give a ****. I do.

No, I don't think so.

> I'll take reasonable steps to minimize a fish's suffering,

Like......giving up fishing?

> but it doesn't keep me awake at night.

I believe it. It's the fantasies that do that.

Hee, hee, hee.

Wolfgang

rw
November 22nd, 2005, 03:00 AM
Wolfgang wrote:
> "rw" > wrote in message
>

>>I'll take reasonable steps to minimize a fish's suffering,
>

> Like......giving up fishing?

Short of that. That's unreasonable.

rw
November 22nd, 2005, 03:53 AM
Wolfgang wrote:

> You think he got it? Wanna try a lecture on signal transduction pathways
> next? Give him a bit of the old calcium channels.....g-coupled
> proteins....that sort of thing?

What a lamer. It's essentially embarrassing to me that I'm even
associated with something like you.

vincent p. norris
November 22nd, 2005, 06:31 AM
>I've found bees in trout stomachs several times. Often as not, they're
>really seriously stinging wasps -- yellow jackets. One more datum point
>that says fish don't feel pain.

Is it possible the fish chomp down on the bees. wasps, hornets, etc.,
to render them unable to sting?

Several of my dogs have quickly learned, after getting stung once, to
snap at them there bugs in such a way as to avoid getting stung.

Are my Brittanys smarter than the average trout? I don't know, but I
have a lot more luck getting them to do my bidding that I have with
the trout.

vince (who know people who eat rattlesnakes but don't get bitten in
the process.)

Wolfgang
November 22nd, 2005, 11:38 AM
"rw" > wrote in message
k.net...
> Wolfgang wrote:
>>
>> You think he got it? Wanna try a lecture on signal transduction pathways
>> next? Give him a bit of the old calcium channels.....g-coupled
>> proteins....that sort of thing?
>
> What a lamer. It's essentially embarrassing to me that I'm even associated
> with something like you.

It should be........but it's not. In fact, it is a constant source of
gratification to you that I at least APPEAR to take you seriously from time
to time. And THAT is genuinely lame.

And then there's those fantasies. :)

Wolfgang
hee, hee, hee.

lazarus cooke
November 22nd, 2005, 11:46 AM
I keep bees myself, Mike, as did my father and grandfather, and I try
to keep up with the research. There's amazingly little known about
exactly where bees mate - drones tend to hover in groups quite high up,
and they're not easy to research, especially when the Queen only mates
once. Bees are very unpredictable beasties.

I'd say there certainly isn't enough known to say that they 'never'
mate in a particular sort of place.

I don't see why it should only be drones that are taken. Workers only
have a life outside the hive of three or four weeks, and they generally
just collapse from exhaustion somewhere in the field. Bees need water
(it's important to give them a source,otherwise they may decide to use
your neighbours' children's paddling pool), and you have to provide
them with corks etc to float in the their water supply otherwise
they're liable to drown.

Having said that I generally keep my eyes open for honey bees wherever
I am, and don't remember seeing any on the water. They tend to prefer
stagnant -even quite revoltingly so - sources to clean ones, and I
don't think they'd like a nice clean trout stream.

Lazarus

lazarus cooke
November 22nd, 2005, 11:47 AM
[...]

I am, and don't remember seeing any on the water while I was fishing.
They tend to prefer stagnant -even quite revoltingly so - sources to
clean ones, and I don't think they'd like a nice clean trout stream.

Lazarus

Jeff Miller
November 22nd, 2005, 12:28 PM
rw wrote:

> I've found bees in trout stomachs several times. Often as not, they're
> really seriously stinging wasps -- yellow jackets. One more datum point
> that says fish don't feel pain.

i believe trout will eat anything that appears bug-like on/in the
water... bees, roaches, praying mantis... except, those funky water
spider things...they don't seem to like them.

Jeff Miller
November 22nd, 2005, 12:35 PM
vincent p. norris wrote:

>>I've found bees in trout stomachs several times. Often as not, they're
>>really seriously stinging wasps -- yellow jackets. One more datum point
>>that says fish don't feel pain.
>

> Is it possible the fish chomp down on the bees. wasps, hornets, etc.,
> to render them unable to sting?
>
> Several of my dogs have quickly learned, after getting stung once, to
> snap at them there bugs in such a way as to avoid getting stung.
>
> Are my Brittanys smarter than the average trout? I don't know, but I
> have a lot more luck getting them to do my bidding that I have with
> the trout.
>
> vince (who know people who eat rattlesnakes but don't get bitten in
> the process.)

my friend and dog, sadie, loves flying bugs, especially bees. she will
sit in one spot for hours if honeybees are buzzing nearby and takes joy
in snapping them out of the air, quickly spitting them out. she was
stung once...made her muzzle swell.

what the hell is that bit of learned behavior all about?

jeff

Larry and a Cat named Dub
November 22nd, 2005, 01:52 PM
Bees don't mate in the back seat of a 57 Chevy ?
Now something new to think about
"lazarus cooke" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I keep bees myself, Mike, as did my father and grandfather, and I try
> to keep up with the research. There's amazingly little known about
> exactly where bees mate - drones tend to hover in groups quite high up,
> and they're not easy to research, especially when the Queen only mates
> once. Bees are very unpredictable beasties.
>
> I'd say there certainly isn't enough known to say that they 'never'
> mate in a particular sort of place.
>
> I don't see why it should only be drones that are taken. Workers only
> have a life outside the hive of three or four weeks, and they generally
> just collapse from exhaustion somewhere in the field. Bees need water
> (it's important to give them a source,otherwise they may decide to use
> your neighbours' children's paddling pool), and you have to provide
> them with corks etc to float in the their water supply otherwise
> they're liable to drown.
>
> Having said that I generally keep my eyes open for honey bees wherever
> I am, and don't remember seeing any on the water while I was fishing.
> They tend to prefer stagnant -even quite revoltingly so - sources to
> clean ones, and I don't think they'd like a nice clean trout stream.
>
> Lazarus

Wolfgang
November 22nd, 2005, 03:29 PM
"lazarus cooke" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> ...I don't see why it should only be drones that are taken....

Drones was my suggestion. It wasn't meant to imply exclusivity. Merely a
passing thought on a possible scenario that might account for fish bellies
occasionally being full of bees.

Wolfgang

William Claspy
November 22nd, 2005, 03:47 PM
On 11/22/05 10:29 AM, in article , "Wolfgang"
> wrote:

> "lazarus cooke" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> ...I don't see why it should only be drones that are taken....
>
> Drones was my suggestion. It wasn't meant to imply exclusivity. Merely a
> passing thought on a possible scenario that might account for fish bellies
> occasionally being full of bees.

Brings to mind (perhaps because of recent discussion of the Great Yoop 2006
Clave) the last time I fished the Fox River up nort' dere, eh. On the way
up I stopped at an excellent fly shop where the proprietor sold me several
flies that were tied to imitate the deer fly or house fly. Black foam body,
grizzly wings, peacock hurl body, as I recall. Said it'd slay 'em. Sure
enough I remember catching one brookie that for the life of me I can't
figure out how it took my fly- not only was his belly full of flies, they
were coming clear up out of his mouth! The fish must have been gorging on
the things.

Brookies. Yoop. <mmmmmmm>.

Bill

lazarus cooke
November 22nd, 2005, 04:01 PM
I know, I know, but the discussion was drifting that way. It still
seems as good a suggestion as any.

There's a good article by my favourite brit fishing author, Arthur
Ransome (who was incidentally the Guardian's foreign correspondent in
Russia during the revolution, played chess with Lenin, and married
Trotsky's secretary, as well as writing some classic children's tales)
about the way, very occasionally, there are huge numbers of flying ants
on the water and the fish will gobble them up, whereas most of the time
they won't look at an ant imitiation.

LC

Mike Connor
November 22nd, 2005, 04:12 PM
"lazarus cooke" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
>I keep bees myself, Mike, as did my father and grandfather, and I try
> to keep up with the research. There's amazingly little known about
> exactly where bees mate - drones tend to hover in groups quite high up,
> and they're not easy to research, especially when the Queen only mates
> once. Bees are very unpredictable beasties.
>
> I'd say there certainly isn't enough known to say that they 'never'
> mate in a particular sort of place.
>
> I don't see why it should only be drones that are taken. Workers only
> have a life outside the hive of three or four weeks, and they generally
> just collapse from exhaustion somewhere in the field. Bees need water
> (it's important to give them a source,otherwise they may decide to use
> your neighbours' children's paddling pool), and you have to provide
> them with corks etc to float in the their water supply otherwise
> they're liable to drown.
>
> Having said that I generally keep my eyes open for honey bees wherever
> I am, and don't remember seeing any on the water. They tend to prefer
> stagnant -even quite revoltingly so - sources to clean ones, and I
> don't think they'd like a nice clean trout stream.
>
> Lazarus

Oh I would not presume to know much about it. I talked a lot with the old
Russian guy on occasion, mainly about his bees, but sometimes about other
things, he had gone through some terrible hardship, but as his German was
not exactly brilliant, and my Russian is basically non-existent, we did have
some communication problems.

One thing he told me stuck in my mind, and that was that bee stings make a
man extremely virile. He never wore any protection at all when working with
the bees, and was stung quite often. It did not seem to bother him at all.
Donīt know if the "virility" thing is true either, and I am unlikely to find
out, as quite a while ago, when I was stung a couple of times, I had an
"anaphylactic shock". Indeed, I have been since obliged to carry an
emergency injection kit.

My hypersensitivity seems to have "worn off" now at least, as the last
couple of times I was stung or bitten ( mainly F§$%&/ horse flies!) I did
not need the kit, and the resultant swelling etc was far less. I have also
had a couple of deer ticks in the meatime, and my reaction was far less
violent compared to the first few times. I still carry the kit though, as
the first two times nearly killed me.

TL
MC

rw
November 22nd, 2005, 04:39 PM
lazarus cooke wrote:
> I know, I know, but the discussion was drifting that way. It still
> seems as good a suggestion as any.
>
> There's a good article by my favourite brit fishing author, Arthur
> Ransome (who was incidentally the Guardian's foreign correspondent in
> Russia during the revolution, played chess with Lenin, and married
> Trotsky's secretary, as well as writing some classic children's tales)
> about the way, very occasionally, there are huge numbers of flying ants
> on the water and the fish will gobble them up, whereas most of the time
> they won't look at an ant imitiation.

Your brit trout must have very different tastes from ours. I've found
ants to be one of the most effective patterns.

Wayne Harrison
November 22nd, 2005, 04:51 PM
"Mike Connor" > wrote

> One thing he told me stuck in my mind, and that was that bee stings make a
> man extremely virile. He never wore any protection at all when working
> with the bees, and was stung quite often. It did not seem to bother him at
> all. Donīt know if the "virility" thing is true either, and I am unlikely
> to find out, as quite a while ago, when I was stung a couple of times, I
> had an "anaphylactic shock". Indeed, I have been since obliged to carry an
> emergency injection kit.
>
> My hypersensitivity seems to have "worn off" now at least, as the last
> couple of times I was stung or bitten ( mainly F§$%&/ horse flies!) I did
> not need the kit, and the resultant swelling etc was far less. I have also
> had a couple of deer ticks in the meatime, and my reaction was far less
> violent compared to the first few times. I still carry the kit though, as
> the first two times nearly killed me.
>
> TL
> MC
>
> interesting story. coincidentally, both myself and my cousin, dash
> riprock hedrick, developed the same allergic reaction to two individual
> yellow jacket attacks; his on hazel creek, and mine on eagle creek. the
> two streams are seperated by a ridgeline in the smokies.

my incident was actually life threatening, as i was stung (according to
the e.r. physician) in excess of thirty times. eagle creek was about two
hours from medical help, and my throat and nasal passages were literally
shutting down within minutes; but, as luck would have it (an opinion that
may not be universally acknowledged), there was a camper at the mouth of the
creek who administered a handful of benedryl tablets, which held the
swelling in check until i could get to the hospital.

i, too, was instructed to carry one of those prescription needle kits
whenever my chances of contact with stinging insects was likely. after a
few years, i stopped fooling with the thing. of course, not long afterward,
i was stung when mowing the yard; i was initially preparing for a slow,
tortuous death, when it became apparent that nothing out of the ordinary was
going to happen.

oh, my then wife never offered any show of gratitude for the infusion of
bee venom, either before, during, or after our ...little games...

oh, well, i suppose some things just can't be improved upon.

yfitons
wayno

November 22nd, 2005, 05:14 PM
there is a great pattern for yellow jackets called the "Tennesee Bee"
out on the web. In NJ, every fall after the first frost we get a nice
"yellow jacket fall" and we have trout keying on them in many places.
The first time I saw this, I saw the trout hitting leaves for no
apparent reason and ignoring all my offerings until I took a better
look at some leaves floating by and saw dead yellow jackets clinging on.

November 22nd, 2005, 05:17 PM
ah ya PETA weenies, it all depends on what you mean by "feel" and
"suffering" with respect to the mental capacity of a fish....

no need to stay awake at night... fish don't "feel" no matter what
their physiological
reponses might be to stimuli....

Wolfgang
November 22nd, 2005, 11:51 PM
"William Claspy" > wrote in message
> On 11/22/05 10:29 AM, in article ,
> "Wolfgang"
> > wrote:
>

>> "lazarus cooke" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> ...I don't see why it should only be drones that are taken....
>>
>> Drones was my suggestion. It wasn't meant to imply exclusivity. Merely
>> passing thought on a possible scenario that might account for fish
>> bellies
>> occasionally being full of bees.
>
> Brings to mind (perhaps because of recent discussion of the Great Yoop
> 2006
> Clave) the last time I fished the Fox River up nort' dere, eh. On the way
> up I stopped at an excellent fly shop where the proprietor sold me several
> flies that were tied to imitate the deer fly or house fly. Black foam
> body,
> grizzly wings, peacock hurl body, as I recall. Said it'd slay 'em. Sure
> enough I remember catching one brookie that for the life of me I can't
> figure out how it took my fly- not only was his belly full of flies, they
> were coming clear up out of his mouth! The fish must have been gorging on
> the things.
>
> Brookies. Yoop. <mmmmmmm>.

We need to find that fish! Then we need to breed many offspring from it!

Wolfgang
goddamn deerflies. :(

Ralph Heidecke
November 23rd, 2005, 04:20 AM
"rw" > wrote in message
. net...

> I've found bees in trout stomachs several times. Often as not, they're
> really seriously stinging wasps -- yellow jackets. One more datum point
> that says fish don't feel pain.
>
> --
> Cut "to the chase" for my email address.

perhaps these wasps were already drowned and dead when the trout ate it -
hence no sting.

Do you think a wasp sting or 2 could be fatal to a small trout?

vincent p. norris
November 23rd, 2005, 04:41 AM
>my friend and dog, sadie, loves flying bugs, especially bees. she will
>sit in one spot for hours if honeybees are buzzing nearby and takes joy
>in snapping them out of the air, quickly spitting them out. she was
>stung once...made her muzzle swell.

Jeff, my present Brittany is my third; I also had an Irish Setter
along the way. IIRC, all of them did what Sadie does.

>what the hell is that bit of learned behavior all about?

I don't know, but I understand that motion (which can be construed as
fleeing) triggers the predatory reflex in animals of the canis
persuasion. It's why some dogs can't resist chasing cars, even though
they're obviously too big to eat.

Perhaps, after the dog gets stung-- and they all do, apparently--
there's a bit of revenge blended in as well.

vince

vincent p. norris
November 28th, 2005, 03:50 AM
>Do you think a wasp sting or 2 could be fatal to a small trout?

If trout have been eating wasps for a million years, natural selection
may have made them immune to the venom.

vince

Charlie Choc
November 28th, 2005, 12:33 PM
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 22:50:19 -0500, vincent p. norris > wrote:

>>Do you think a wasp sting or 2 could be fatal to a small trout?
>
>If trout have been eating wasps for a million years, natural selection
>may have made them immune to the venom.

Intelligent design. <g>
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

vincent p. norris
November 29th, 2005, 01:09 AM
>>If trout have been eating wasps for a million years, natural selection
>>may have made them immune to the venom.
>>
>Intelligent design. <g>

Geez, while the Intelligent Designer was making trout immune to wasp
stings, it wouldn't have been a lot of trouble for Him (Her?) to
include us, would it?

vince

Wolfgang
November 29th, 2005, 01:29 AM
"vincent p. norris" > wrote in message
>>>If trout have been eating wasps for a million years, natural selection
>>>may have made them immune to the venom.
>>>
>>Intelligent design. <g>
>
> Geez, while the Intelligent Designer was making trout immune to wasp
> stings, it wouldn't have been a lot of trouble for Him (Her?) to
> include us, would it?

Not to mention the fact that thus far it appears no one has asked the
Hymenoptera what they think of all this. :)

Wolfgang
but then, they're socialists. :(

Tim Lysyk
November 29th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Wolfgang wrote:
> Not to mention the fact that thus far it appears no one has asked the
> Hymenoptera what they think of all this. :)
>
> Wolfgang
> but then, they're socialists. :(

Not all of them are.

Tim Lysyk

Wolfgang
November 29th, 2005, 02:03 AM
"Tim Lysyk" > wrote in message
> Wolfgang wrote:
>> Not to mention the fact that thus far it appears no one has asked the
>> Hymenoptera what they think of all this. :)
>>
>> Wolfgang
>> but then, they're socialists. :(
>
> Not all of them are.

Or, so they say.