PDA

View Full Version : A Pretty Thing

George Cleveland
November 22nd, 2005, 04:22 PM
I decided a few years ago that bamboo rods were out of my league as
far as money goes (at least the ones I liked). But I still liked they
way they cast. The closest thing I could get to them was in some of
the older fiberglass rods. So I've bought a couple in the last few
years. Wolfgang and Asadi cast my favorite one in the UP last
September, a 7' St. Croix from the 50s. But its a little short for
nymphing and I had a Daiwa 706 reel that was looking for a vintage
rod. I saw the rod below on Ebay last week and won it. It came
yesterday. It's gorgeous. I don't know if it was a homebuilt or a
custom rod from E.Hille (I've got an email out to them with some
questions about it). It looks barely fished. I would guesstimate the
rod is circa 1965. It is rated a 5 wt. but it cast the 4 wt. I had on
the 706 fairly well, although you could feel it getting its legs after
40 feet of line was out, so I would guess it is a true 5wt.. A softer
blank than my little fiberglass St. Croix but I bet it will fish
beautifully.

I like the butterscotch blank along with the red wraps. It has an
o-ringed male ferrule and blued snakes (carboloys?). A lovely thing.

http://fishskicanoe.tripod.com/geopics/thumbnails/600x450/Newrod.jpg
http://fishskicanoe.tripod.com/geopics/thumbnails/600x450/newrod2.jpg
http://fishskicanoe.tripod.com/geopics/thumbnails/600x450/newrod3.jpg

g.c.

Oh... I got it for $15! Makes it even nicer in my book. ;)

Tom Nakashima
November 22nd, 2005, 05:53 PM
"George Cleveland" > wrote in message
>I decided a few years ago that bamboo rods were out of my league as
> far as money goes (at least the ones I liked). But I still liked they
> way they cast. The closest thing I could get to them was in some of
> the older fiberglass rods. So I've bought a couple in the last few
> years. Wolfgang and Asadi cast my favorite one in the UP last
> September, a 7' St. Croix from the 50s. But its a little short for
> nymphing and I had a Daiwa 706 reel that was looking for a vintage
> rod. I saw the rod below on Ebay last week and won it. It came
> yesterday. It's gorgeous. I don't know if it was a homebuilt or a
> custom rod from E.Hille (I've got an email out to them with some
> questions about it). It looks barely fished. I would guesstimate the
> rod is circa 1965. It is rated a 5 wt. but it cast the 4 wt. I had on
> the 706 fairly well, although you could feel it getting its legs after
> 40 feet of line was out, so I would guess it is a true 5wt.. A softer
> blank than my little fiberglass St. Croix but I bet it will fish
> beautifully.
>
> I like the butterscotch blank along with the red wraps. It has an
> o-ringed male ferrule and blued snakes (carboloys?). A lovely thing.
>

> http://fishskicanoe.tripod.com/geopics/thumbnails/600x450/Newrod.jpg
> http://fishskicanoe.tripod.com/geopics/thumbnails/600x450/newrod2.jpg
> http://fishskicanoe.tripod.com/geopics/thumbnails/600x450/newrod3.jpg
>

> g.c.
>
> Oh... I got it for $15! Makes it even nicer in my book. ;)

George, great buy on that rod.
-tom

JohnR
November 23rd, 2005, 02:00 AM
Congrats on the new fiberglass rod. You can find some good buys on these on
Ebay. However, some glass fly rods are starting to sky rocket in price such
as ones made by Phillipson.

There are good glass rods to be had and you don't have to pay an arm and a
leg. BTW, those are nice pics.

-John

"Tom Nakashima" > wrote in message

> "George Cleveland" > wrote in message
> >I decided a few years ago that bamboo rods were out of my league as
> > far as money goes (at least the ones I liked). But I still liked they
> > way they cast. The closest thing I could get to them was in some of
> > the older fiberglass rods. So I've bought a couple in the last few
> > years. Wolfgang and Asadi cast my favorite one in the UP last
> > September, a 7' St. Croix from the 50s. But its a little short for
> > nymphing and I had a Daiwa 706 reel that was looking for a vintage
> > rod. I saw the rod below on Ebay last week and won it. It came
> > yesterday. It's gorgeous. I don't know if it was a homebuilt or a
> > custom rod from E.Hille (I've got an email out to them with some
> > questions about it). It looks barely fished. I would guesstimate the
> > rod is circa 1965. It is rated a 5 wt. but it cast the 4 wt. I had on
> > the 706 fairly well, although you could feel it getting its legs after
> > 40 feet of line was out, so I would guess it is a true 5wt.. A softer
> > blank than my little fiberglass St. Croix but I bet it will fish
> > beautifully.
> >
> > I like the butterscotch blank along with the red wraps. It has an
> > o-ringed male ferrule and blued snakes (carboloys?). A lovely thing.
> >

> > http://fishskicanoe.tripod.com/geopics/thumbnails/600x450/Newrod.jpg
> > http://fishskicanoe.tripod.com/geopics/thumbnails/600x450/newrod2.jpg
> > http://fishskicanoe.tripod.com/geopics/thumbnails/600x450/newrod3.jpg
> >

> > g.c.
> >
> > Oh... I got it for $15! Makes it even nicer in my book. ;)
>
> George, great buy on that rod.
> -tom

Big Dale
November 23rd, 2005, 12:55 PM
George Cleveland wrote:
> I decided a few years ago that bamboo rods were out of my league as
> far as money goes (at least the ones I liked). But I still liked they
> way they cast. The closest thing I could get to them was in some of
> the older fiberglass rods. So I've bought a couple in the last few
> years.. I don't know if it was a homebuilt or a
> custom rod from E.Hille (I've got an email out to them with some
> questions about it). It looks barely fished. I would guesstimate the
> rod is circa 1965.

Congratulations on a find. E. Hille made both rods and blanks back in
the 60's. I used to get their catalogs and one of my neighbors bought
one of their 6 weight rods back then. I always liked that rod. A lot of
floks were not around when fiberglass and bamboo were the only choices
in fly rods. There were and still are some good ones back then. I don't
think that they are as fragile as some of the rods being made today.
The only way I ever found to break them was to slam a car door on them
or to break one opening a car door on it.

You also might want to keep a look out for any of the old fiberglass
rods made by Fisher as well. Mine will never be for sale.I took mine
over to a friends house one day a few years ago and he cast it into a
bucket 85 feet away and had a grin on his face when he said " I never
met a glass rod I didn't like."

Big Dale

Softhackle
November 23rd, 2005, 08:27 PM
I saw the pics and got interested, the info I got back is pretty much
what Dave said. It's a fiberglass blank that E. Hille marketed as their
own, it's an e-glass blank that was one piece and they cut it and put
on a featherweight ferrule. Not a bad blank in its day or even today.
Bruce

November 24th, 2005, 09:19 AM
i have before me an e hille catalog from 1965 which lists (on page 60)
the L86F0ZK as the model:
PEARL with these specs: 8 1/2 ft. rod 2.56 oz. taper 30/64 to 19/64
to 5/64. delicate light
trout action, permitting the use of fine leader points without
breaking them.
this rod is very limber and flexible but will cast a long line with
hardly
any effort. line size 7 or 6.
L86F0Z blanks per set 11.70
L86F0ZK ROD LIT EACH 17.90

additionally listed is specs of the ferrules as being aluminum or
BROLOY .
hope this gives you a little bit of help. it is also listed in the e
hille's 1964 catalog.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, 2005
woody in granite falls, nc

George Cleveland
November 24th, 2005, 12:42 PM
On 24 Nov 2005 01:19:03 -0800, wrote:

>i have before me an e hille catalog from 1965 which lists (on page 60)
>the L86F0ZK as the model:
> PEARL with these specs: 8 1/2 ft. rod 2.56 oz. taper 30/64 to 19/64
>to 5/64. delicate light
> trout action, permitting the use of fine leader points without
>breaking them.
> this rod is very limber and flexible but will cast a long line with
>hardly
> any effort. line size 7 or 6.
>L86F0Z blanks per set 11.70
>L86F0ZK ROD LIT EACH 17.90
>
>additionally listed is specs of the ferrules as being aluminum or
>BROLOY .
>hope this gives you a little bit of help. it is also listed in the e
>hille's 1964 catalog.
>
>HAPPY THANKSGIVING, 2005
>woody in granite falls, nc

Thank you very much!

George

November 24th, 2005, 05:57 PM
thought you would like that. i did make a mistake:
L86F0ZK ROD LIT EACH 17.90 should have been:
L86F0ZK ROD KIT EACH 17.90. someone bought this as a kit and put it
all together!

George Cleveland
November 24th, 2005, 08:02 PM
On 24 Nov 2005 09:57:13 -0800, wrote:

>thought you would like that. i did make a mistake:
>L86F0ZK ROD LIT EACH 17.90 should have been:
>L86F0ZK ROD KIT EACH 17.90. someone bought this as a kit and put it
>all together!

I was wondering about that. The guy was selling another rod. The
number on that rod seemed to indicate it was a 7'6" blank but the rod
was 6'9". Who ever built it did a great job. Very even wraps on the
guides etc..

Thanks again.

g.c.

George Cleveland
November 25th, 2005, 02:18 PM
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 14:02:06 -0600, George Cleveland
> wrote:

>On 24 Nov 2005 09:57:13 -0800, wrote:
>
>>thought you would like that. i did make a mistake:
>>L86F0ZK ROD LIT EACH 17.90 should have been:
>>L86F0ZK ROD KIT EACH 17.90. someone bought this as a kit and put it
>>all together!
>

>I was wondering about that. The guy was selling another rod. The
>number on that rod seemed to indicate it was a 7'6" blank but the rod
>was 6'9". Who ever built it did a great job. Very even wraps on the
>guides etc..
>
>Thanks again.
>
>g.c.

BTW I see the seller has relisted the shorter rod.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LAMIFLEX-6-10-five-weight-fiberglass-fly-rod_W0QQitemZ7199208368QQcategoryZ23819QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Anyone in the market for a slow short 5 wt. might want to give it a
look.

g.c.