PDA

View Full Version : For Vaughan, Roger, Jarmo, Jerome, Hans, Tom, et al (Lapland Clave-04 folks)

riverman
November 22nd, 2005, 05:34 PM
I'm lying here in bed in Hong Kong, watching some late night TV fishing
show called "Lake Escapes" featuring some South African (I think) guy
who travels the world fly fishing, and the scenery starts to look
familiar. I wake SWMBO and say "Hey, that looks like the helicopter
service we used last year to fly in to the Lapland clave." A few
minutes later, it shows this guy in front of his cabin, and it was THE
SAME CABIN WE STAYED AT! The river was a bit higher than it was for us,
but it was the same stretch of water we fished all week.

Too cool! Our camp and stretch of river was on TV here in Hong Kong!

--riverman

Staalkop
November 22nd, 2005, 11:20 PM
Must be a pretty surprising experience, riverman.
Brings back fond memories to me.
(Sitting outside the cabin being killed by those millions of musquitos.....)
Spoke with Jerome last week ( Skype ) for half an hour.
And we agreed that it was awesome there.
Hans
http://hans.pressanykey.nl

riverman schreef:
> I'm lying here in bed in Hong Kong, watching some late night TV fishing
> show called "Lake Escapes" featuring some South African (I think) guy
> who travels the world fly fishing, and the scenery starts to look
> familiar. I wake SWMBO and say "Hey, that looks like the helicopter
> service we used last year to fly in to the Lapland clave." A few
> minutes later, it shows this guy in front of his cabin, and it was THE
> SAME CABIN WE STAYED AT! The river was a bit higher than it was for us,
> but it was the same stretch of water we fished all week.
>
> Too cool! Our camp and stretch of river was on TV here in Hong Kong!
>
> --riverman

riverman
November 23rd, 2005, 02:09 AM
Yes, and it was a real suprise seeing the cabin on TV. The first clue
was an exterior shot of the sauna, and I thought to myself "nooo, it
can't be!" but it was! Later, he was sitting in the front yard, by the
firepit, and the bushes were greener and the camp was very clean. There
was an interior shot, and I had forgotten about some of the details
until I saw them. Apparently, this was the pilot episode, as a google
search in "Lake Escapes" will tell you. The host is British, I realize
now, but I only saw a few minutes of it last night.

Nice webpage, Hans, but I gotta put my vote in that soaking your flies
in syrop to catch those carp is pushing the boundaries of flyfishing.
Can't put my finger on why, but it seems that once you are casting
sticky, syrop-flavored flies, you are practically baitcasting with a
fly rod. I bet we get some discussion on this.

For those who don't know what I'm referring to: go to
http://hans.pressanykey.nl/ then click on <whats next> and <here> and
<more carp>.

--riverman

Jarmo Hurri
November 23rd, 2005, 12:26 PM
riverman> Too cool! Our camp and stretch of river was on TV here in
riverman> Hong Kong!

:-)

It's almost scary, isn't it.

Did you already hear that Vaughan and I went back to the same place
this year? Tough fishing, but Vaughan had the skill to catch a couple
of good ones. And there were some interesting learning experiences...

(A TR is "on its way" - prior experience has shown that they tend to
come out 6 months after the trips, so February would be a good
estimate.)

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .

angler
November 23rd, 2005, 09:07 PM
Guys,

I have started looking into the idea of a new Lapland Clave 2006.
Some discussions with Jerome and a call from Myron, saying that he will
have some time off this summer, did make me come to the decision to
arrange something.
No more cabins (torture chambers;-)), this is to be a tenting
experience.
There are some ideas on where to go. If you are interested, let me
know.
My email address is on the web page.

Cool, clave central on TV, we might set a new standard for FF claves.

/Roger
Visit http://www.imsoc.se/angler/ for info about fly fishing in the
north of Sweden, Lapland

William Claspy
November 23rd, 2005, 09:54 PM
On 11/23/05 4:07 PM, in article
om, "angler"
> wrote:

> I have started looking into the idea of a new Lapland Clave 2006.

Hoooooo boy. Hooooo boy oh boy oh boy.

It's snowing like Lapland in Cleveland today and the armchair travel
possibilities inspired by Roger's suggestion above should keep me busy well
into the weekend. Lemme just throw another log on, put my feet up, and
decide which atlas to get out.

Thanks Roger. Thanks A LOT!

:-)

Bill

(...now where'd I put that frequent flyer statement...)

Jarmo Hurri
November 24th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Roger> I have started looking into the idea of a new Lapland Clave
Roger> 2006. If you are interested, let me know.

Definitely.

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .

riverman
November 24th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Absolutely. No grad school this year, so I'm free any time.

--riverman

Osmo Jauhiainen
November 25th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Roger,

Count me in!

Osmo

> I have started looking into the idea of a new Lapland Clave 2006.
> Some discussions with Jerome and a call from Myron, saying that he will
> have some time off this summer, did make me come to the decision to
> arrange something.
> No more cabins (torture chambers;-)), this is to be a tenting
> experience.
> There are some ideas on where to go. If you are interested, let me
> know.
> My email address is on the web page.
>
> Cool, clave central on TV, we might set a new standard for FF claves.
>
> /Roger
> Visit http://www.imsoc.se/angler/ for info about fly fishing in the
> north of Sweden, Lapland

The Leaping Frog
November 25th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Look at them getting all excited like young maidens!!!! Cannot blame you!

The presenter is called Matt Hayes and he presents Total Fishing, Lake
Escapes and other fishing progs on Discovery Home & Leisure here in the UK.
Good allrounder he is primarily a course angler but fishes for sal****er
species and more & more as a flyfisher for trout, sea trout and migratory
fins...

The good bit is that Roger knows where the other place Matt fished is: the
river close by where there is artic char..the ones you hear about, see but
never catch..except Hans who had half of one and Roger who made a nice photo
montage of one large one with its bottle of whisky between the teeth...

Anyway, i ordered 3 more Fjallkarta (mountain maps) today and the good news
is that www.landmateriet.com has an online ordering system works in English.
I will try and call roger on skype again this week end to progress our
chat. Plans are maturing...

I have a friend in France who is also interested.

A bientot
The Leaping Frog