PDA

View Full Version : Matt's Fur Nymph

Guy Thornberg
November 26th, 2005, 01:45 AM
Ran across an old Matt's Fur pattern from Kauffman's first manual. As I
recall, it was said to be an excellent nymph for Pacific Northwest rivers.
My success using the fly was minimal a couple of decades ago (still have
some in a flybox in 10's, 12's & 14's). Do any ROFFians use the nymph or
have experience with the Matt's Fur?
Just out of curiosity.
Guy
About to consume another turkey sandwich.

Dave Mohnsen
November 27th, 2005, 01:46 PM
"Guy Thornberg" <guytee2atcomcastdotnet> wrote in message
> Ran across an old Matt's Fur pattern from Kauffman's first manual.
(stuff snipped)
Do any ROFFians use the nymph or
> have experience with the Matt's Fur?
> Just out of curiosity.
> Guy

Hi Guy,
Saw no response to your question.
Heck . . .uh . . . to date myself . . .I have a version of the "American
Nymph Fly Tying Manual", published in 1975 or so , and used it as a
reference for students in fly tying classes. I also have the 1986 version
named "The Fly Tyers Nymph Manual".
Both mention the Matt's Fur.
My take on the whole thing is the "legs" along the side of the body, is the
concept. Use anything you want for the body. Don't get locked into the
"recipe books".
I've used the leg configuration for stoneflies, damsel flies, mayflies,
bluegill patterns, bass patterns, etc.
Remember, in my feeble mind, I am thinking now side feather/material
orientation for the legs.
Over the years, I've seen flies similar. A Bird's Nest pattern comes to
mind, as well as a Barr's Emerger, both in different configurations.
For trout out here, the Barr's Emerger can be quite small like #20-24, as
well as the Bird's Nest.
Hope this helps a bit.
Dave Mohnsen
Denver
( but . . . ya could just wrap a body color of your choice for the fly,
wrap hackle around the thorax, and then clip it on the top and bottom . . .
heck . . .not that I would ever do that : ) but it works. . . .uh . .I'm
told. )

..

Guy Thornberg
November 27th, 2005, 03:07 PM
"Dave Mohnsen" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Guy Thornberg" <guytee2atcomcastdotnet> wrote in message
> > Ran across an old Matt's Fur pattern from Kauffman's first manual.
> (stuff snipped)
> Do any ROFFians use the nymph or
> > have experience with the Matt's Fur?
> > Just out of curiosity.
> > Guy
>
> Hi Guy,
> Saw no response to your question.
> Heck . . .uh . . . to date myself . . .I have a version of the "American
> Nymph Fly Tying Manual", published in 1975 or so , and used it as a
> reference for students in fly tying classes. I also have the 1986 version
> named "The Fly Tyers Nymph Manual".
> Both mention the Matt's Fur.
> My take on the whole thing is the "legs" along the side of the body, is
the
> concept. Use anything you want for the body. Don't get locked into the
> "recipe books".
> I've used the leg configuration for stoneflies, damsel flies, mayflies,
> bluegill patterns, bass patterns, etc.
> Remember, in my feeble mind, I am thinking now side feather/material
> orientation for the legs.
> Over the years, I've seen flies similar. A Bird's Nest pattern comes to
> mind, as well as a Barr's Emerger, both in different configurations.
> For trout out here, the Barr's Emerger can be quite small like #20-24, as
> well as the Bird's Nest.
> Hope this helps a bit.
> Dave Mohnsen
> Denver
> ( but . . . ya could just wrap a body color of your choice for the fly,
> wrap hackle around the thorax, and then clip it on the top and bottom . .
..
> heck . . .not that I would ever do that : ) but it works. . . .uh . .I'm
> told. )

Thanks Dave,
What you say makes sense.
Yeah, the "American Nymph Fly Tying Manual" is my resource for the fly plus
tying it in a fly tying course. I guess I'm more perplexed by the color
combo of the pattern (mallard dyed wood duck & 50/50 otter & cream seal
dubbing). I put a lot of time into fishing the pattern always thinking this
might be the time and place to use the "bug". Anyway, just wanted some
feedback before the flies go into the "Old Folgers Coffee Can Retirement
Home" to make way for some new improved model.
Guy

riverman
November 27th, 2005, 03:32 PM
( but . . . ya could just wrap a body color of your choice for the fly,

wrap hackle around the thorax, and then clip it on the top and bottom .
.. .
heck . . .not that I would ever do that : ) but it works. . . .uh .
..I'm
told. )

That's exactly the process used to make a SuperPupa. The body is
two-tone, but the legs are made by the process you describe.

I tied up a dozen on an old Lapland clave, and found that the fish
definately were striking at the body color. They all had the same legs,
but the flys that were consistently most successful had a particular
shading and ratio of dark front (1/3) to lighter thorax (2/3). I sent
in a bunch for a fly swap that were as close to the most successful
ones as I could make consistently. I'd be very curious to know if any
roffians had any luck with them.

Don't know what this has to do with this thread, but I just had to toss
in my 2-cents. :-)

--riverman