PDA

View Full Version : Spam spam spam spam....

riverman
November 26th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Getting upwards of 150 messages a day now. I assume its because
google.groups won't let you create a munged email addy. Two questions:

1) Does google.groups let you create a munged email addy?
2) Will this assault slow down at some point? Or will I have to change
newsgroup servers?

--riverman
(not my real name)

Charlie Choc
November 26th, 2005, 08:19 AM
On 26 Nov 2005 00:02:21 -0800, "riverman" > wrote:

>Getting upwards of 150 messages a day now. I assume its because
>google.groups won't let you create a munged email addy. Two questions:
>
>1) Does google.groups let you create a munged email addy?
>2) Will this assault slow down at some point? Or will I have to change
>newsgroup servers?

Get a Gmail account. Google does an excellent job filtering SPAM.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

Donut
November 26th, 2005, 11:04 AM
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 03:19:03 -0500, Charlie Choc
> wrote:

>On 26 Nov 2005 00:02:21 -0800, "riverman" > wrote:
>
>>Getting upwards of 150 messages a day now. I assume its because
>>google.groups won't let you create a munged email addy. Two questions:
>>
>>1) Does google.groups let you create a munged email addy?
>>2) Will this assault slow down at some point? Or will I have to change
>>newsgroup servers?
>>
>Get a Gmail account. Google does an excellent job filtering SPAM.

Riverman,

That's good advice. If you MUST use a valid email address to post to
usesnet, just get a "throw away address", meaning one you will never
read, and don't care if it gets spammed.

Since your Yahoo "name", , is out there already,
it's too late for that one. The spam will just keep coming...Nothing
you can do about it except to tighten your filters. But that's often
more work than it's worth. I think you can create a new Yahoo addy,
but I'm not sure if you have to delete the old one first... Hotmail
also offers free accounts. Actually, there are many free web based
email providers out there.

Not really sure what you mean by "newsgroup server". Google is nothing
like a real NNTP server, It's just an archive of newsgroup posts, and
only of text groups at that. With a real news server, you could
access usenet with any newsreader, including OE. Some ISP's provide a
NNTP (Network News Transfer Protocol), what I think you mean by
newsgroups. Some don't, and only provide HTTP (Hypertext Transfer
Protocol), better known as the "world wide web". Did you ever notice
that all web addresses begin with http://?

Ask your ISP if they provide NNTP, and if so, what that server is
"named". And again if so, ask them how to set up your "newsreader".
Also, there are many free, and some nearly free, news servers out
there. Some of which would allow you to see the nice pics at
ab.pictures.fishing. Let me know if I can help you there.

If you wan't a free Gmail address, it seems I have 100 to give out,
just ask, and I'll send it to your yahoo address with a subject line
of your choice to make sure you see it amongst the spam.

BTW, I have enjoyed reading about your travels and adventures. I've
been reading this group for a few years now, but have posted just a
few times. One of the reasons I didn't post sooner, or more, was
because after reading the group for awhile, it seemed some (read
Wolfgang, and to be fair others) distrusted posters that didn't have
a valid return email addy. Knowing this, when I posted, I made note
that I didn't have a valid addy, hoping to assuage. But roff being
what it is<g> THAT only started Wolfgang on one of his tangents.
----------------
Me:
> I just happen to find that broadcasting ones
> email address is stupid, which as you probably know, can also fall
> under the term vacuous.
---------------------
Wolfgang:

Well, both stupid and vacuous can sometimes be applied to the same
position,
act, etc., but they aren't exactly synonymous. More to the point
though, if
posting a valid email address in a forum like this is stupid and/or
vacuous
then we appear to be surrounded by an awful lot of people who have
sufferred
and presumably continue to suffer untold aguish as a result of their
recklessness. As you've undoubtedly figured out by now, I must number
myself among them. This being the case, I would really apppreciate it
if
you'd explain exactly how I've paid for my rash behavior.......I can't
quite
make it out myself.
-----------------

Wolfgang is probably pretty well protected behind his
addy as it is probably a local server, and most likely has a pretty
robust spam filter. For those of us without such a setup, it's a
mistake to reveal our primary addies.

So Wolfgang, if you're reading this, and I know you are as you can't
seem to leave a thread untouched :) The consequences are real, and I
don't think inconsequential. Ask Myron if he thinks getting 150 spams
a day is just something to just blow off?

Wayne Harrison
November 26th, 2005, 03:33 PM
"Donut" > wrote

> So Wolfgang, if you're reading this, and I know you are as you can't
> seem to leave a thread untouched :) The consequences are real, and I
> don't think inconsequential.

donut, welcome to the masochist's hall of fame.

wayno(wake up, general custer, you've got company!)

Wolfgang
November 26th, 2005, 05:34 PM
"Donut" > wrote in message

> ...Wolfgang:

Yes?

> Well, both stupid and vacuous can sometimes be applied to the same
> position, act, etc.,

It's quite possible that I would have stumbled on that little gem myself one
of these days but, failing that, I've got a few erudite and reliable friends
here, and I'm pretty certain that one or another of them would have informed
me.....when and if the need arose. Nevertheless, thanks for the heads up.

> but they aren't exactly synonymous.

To be sure. But then, what is? It is a fundamental truism in linguistics
that whenever any two words or tems in any language are truly and exactly
synonymous, one or the other (and often enough, both) quickly change
(however subtly....sometimes) in meaning, or one or the other simply
disappears from common usage.

> More to the point though, if posting a valid email address in a forum
> like this is stupid and/or vacuous

I see nothing in the above which indicates that we had established that
point.....or even that it had been offered, for that matter.....but I'm a
notoriously careless reader, so I'll take your word for it.

> then we appear to be surrounded by an awful lot of people who have
> sufferred and presumably continue to suffer untold aguish as a result of
> their
> recklessness.

Well, from where I sit, it doesn't really look like I'm surrounded by
anyone......hell, I can barely see you as through a glass darkly. But, the
mist is beginning to lift. Please, DO go on.

> As you've undoubtedly figured out by now, I must number
> myself among them.

Sorry, no, I am by no means an authority on what you must do. However, what
looks like a familiar pattern is starting to emerge. I'm confident that
I'll get a handle on it before too very long. Give me a week or two.

> This being the case, I would really apppreciate it if explain exactly how
> I've
> paid for my rash behavior.......I can't quite make it out myself.

Again, I'm no expert on you, but I suspect you haven't really paid for any
rash behavior here......yet. I'm going to guess this is one of those
thingies you wonder and wonder about.....and then, one day, BANG! it
happens. You'll recognize it when you see it.

> -----------------
>
> Wolfgang is probably pretty well protected behind his
> addy as it is probably a local server, and most likely has a pretty
> robust spam filter.

It comes and goes. There are sometimes months long periods went the filters
are about as effective as a Lake Pontchartrain levy. Other times they're
locked up tighter than a maiden aunt's.....um.....trousseau; damned near
impossible to get a peek at anything. I think it's one of those
evolutionary seesaw things.....like trees and leaf eating bugs. One day (or
eon....or whatever) the trees are ahead.....the next, it's the bugs.

> For those of us without such a setup, it's a
> mistake to reveal our primary addies.

With or without such a setup, revelation is always fraught with potential
hazards. For some, revealing their very existence is irresponsibly
reckless.

> So Wolfgang, if you're reading this,

I'm not. But, as you've probably discovered by now, that's hardly an
impediment to framing an appropriate response.

> and I know you are as you can't seem to leave a thread untouched :)

Au contraire, mon petite beignet, I can SEEM to do just about anything. It
is what I actually AM doing that is of greater interest to me......and
perhaps should be to you.

> The consequences are real, and I don't think inconsequential.

We shall see.....soon enough.

> Ask Myron if he thinks getting 150 spams
> a day is just something to just blow off?

O.k.

HEY MYRON!

Do you think getting 150 spams a day is just something to blow off?

Wolfgang

riverman
November 27th, 2005, 02:25 AM
>HEY MYRON!
>Do you think getting 150 spams a day is just something to blow off?

Well, my spam filters are pretty good, as almost all of those end up in
my 'bulk mail' or 'filtertest' folders, and can be deleted with a click
or two. I was just wondering if the spam curve falls off at any time. I
suppose I'll have to get a new return address for roff in the short
future, though, and see if I can dry up the spam over time.

--riverman

riverman
November 27th, 2005, 03:04 AM
>> ...Wolfgang:

>Yes?

>> Well, both stupid and vacuous can sometimes be applied to the same
>> position, act, etc.,

>It's quite possible that I would have stumbled on that little gem myself one
>of these days but, failing that, I've got a few erudite and reliable friends
>here, and I'm pretty certain that one or another of them would have informed
>me.....when and if the need arose. Nevertheless, thanks for the heads up.

>> but they aren't exactly synonymous.

>To be sure. But then, what is? It is a fundamental truism in linguistics
>that whenever any two words or tems in any language are truly and exactly
>synonymous, one or the other (and often enough, both) quickly change
>(however subtly....sometimes) in meaning, or one or the other simply
>disappears from common usage.

>> More to the point though, if posting a valid email address in a forum
>> like this is stupid and/or vacuous

>I see nothing in the above which indicates that we had established that
>point.....or even that it had been offered, for that matter.....but I'm a
>notoriously careless reader, so I'll take your word for it.

>> then we appear to be surrounded by an awful lot of people who have
>> sufferred and presumably continue to suffer untold aguish as a result of
>> their
>> recklessness.

>Well, from where I sit, it doesn't really look like I'm surrounded by
>anyone......hell, I can barely see you as through a glass darkly. But, the
>mist is beginning to lift. Please, DO go on.

>> As you've undoubtedly figured out by now, I must number
>> myself among them.

>Sorry, no, I am by no means an authority on what you must do. However, what
>looks like a familiar pattern is starting to emerge. I'm confident that
>I'll get a handle on it before too very long. Give me a week or two.

>> This being the case, I would really apppreciate it if explain exactly how
>> I've
>> paid for my rash behavior.......I can't quite make it out myself.

>Again, I'm no expert on you, but I suspect you haven't really paid for any
>rash behavior here......yet. I'm going to guess this is one of those
>thingies you wonder and wonder about.....and then, one day, BANG! it
>happens. You'll recognize it when you see it.

-----------------------------
Unless I'm totally misreading this, we may soon find the answer to that
old 'immovable object, irresistable force' paradox.

--riverman

Donut
November 27th, 2005, 04:41 AM
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:34:15 -0600, "Wolfgang" >
wrote:

>"Donut" > wrote in message
>
>> ...Wolfgang:
>
>Yes?
>
>> Well, both stupid and vacuous can sometimes be applied to the same
>> position, act, etc.,
>
>It's quite possible that I would have stumbled on that little gem myself one
>of these days but, failing that, I've got a few erudite and reliable friends
>here, and I'm pretty certain that one or another of them would have informed
>me.....when and if the need arose. Nevertheless, thanks for the heads up.
>
>> but they aren't exactly synonymous.
>
>To be sure. But then, what is? It is a fundamental truism in linguistics
>that whenever any two words or tems in any language are truly and exactly
>synonymous, one or the other (and often enough, both) quickly change
>(however subtly....sometimes) in meaning, or one or the other simply
>disappears from common usage.
>
>> More to the point though, if posting a valid email address in a forum
>> like this is stupid and/or vacuous
>
>I see nothing in the above which indicates that we had established that
>point.....or even that it had been offered, for that matter.....but I'm a
>notoriously careless reader, so I'll take your word for it.
>
>> then we appear to be surrounded by an awful lot of people who have
>> sufferred and presumably continue to suffer untold aguish as a result of
>> their
>> recklessness.
>
>Well, from where I sit, it doesn't really look like I'm surrounded by
>anyone......hell, I can barely see you as through a glass darkly. But, the
>mist is beginning to lift. Please, DO go on.
>
>> As you've undoubtedly figured out by now, I must number
>> myself among them.
>
>Sorry, no, I am by no means an authority on what you must do. However, what
>looks like a familiar pattern is starting to emerge. I'm confident that
>I'll get a handle on it before too very long. Give me a week or two.
>
>> This being the case, I would really apppreciate it if explain exactly how
>> I've
>> paid for my rash behavior.......I can't quite make it out myself.
>
>Again, I'm no expert on you, but I suspect you haven't really paid for any
>rash behavior here......yet. I'm going to guess this is one of those
>thingies you wonder and wonder about.....and then, one day, BANG! it
>happens. You'll recognize it when you see it.
>
>> -----------------
<snip>

I find this quite illuminating. Wolfgang will argue/debate anyone,
including himself, apparently just for the sake of it :)

Due to my less then stellar job of quoting, (sorry) it seems that
Wolfgang thought he was replying to something I wrote. I didn't write
it, he did. I merely cut and pasted something he wrote a year ago.

hee, hee, hee as Wolfgang would say.

Don

Donut
November 27th, 2005, 04:46 AM
On 26 Nov 2005 19:04:22 -0800, "riverman" > wrote:

>>> ...Wolfgang:
>
>>Yes?
>
>>> Well, both stupid and vacuous can sometimes be applied to the same
>>> position, act, etc.,
>
>>It's quite possible that I would have stumbled on that little gem myself one
>>of these days but, failing that, I've got a few erudite and reliable friends
>>here, and I'm pretty certain that one or another of them would have informed
>>me.....when and if the need arose. Nevertheless, thanks for the heads up.
>
>>> but they aren't exactly synonymous.
>
>>To be sure. But then, what is? It is a fundamental truism in linguistics
>>that whenever any two words or tems in any language are truly and exactly
>>synonymous, one or the other (and often enough, both) quickly change
>>(however subtly....sometimes) in meaning, or one or the other simply
>>disappears from common usage.
>
>>> More to the point though, if posting a valid email address in a forum
>>> like this is stupid and/or vacuous
>
>>I see nothing in the above which indicates that we had established that
>>point.....or even that it had been offered, for that matter.....but I'm a
>>notoriously careless reader, so I'll take your word for it.
>
>>> then we appear to be surrounded by an awful lot of people who have
>>> sufferred and presumably continue to suffer untold aguish as a result of
>>> their
>>> recklessness.
>
>>Well, from where I sit, it doesn't really look like I'm surrounded by
>>anyone......hell, I can barely see you as through a glass darkly. But, the
>>mist is beginning to lift. Please, DO go on.
>
>>> As you've undoubtedly figured out by now, I must number
>>> myself among them.
>
>>Sorry, no, I am by no means an authority on what you must do. However, what
>>looks like a familiar pattern is starting to emerge. I'm confident that
>>I'll get a handle on it before too very long. Give me a week or two.
>
>>> This being the case, I would really apppreciate it if explain exactly how
>>> I've
>>> paid for my rash behavior.......I can't quite make it out myself.
>
>>Again, I'm no expert on you, but I suspect you haven't really paid for any
>>rash behavior here......yet. I'm going to guess this is one of those
>>thingies you wonder and wonder about.....and then, one day, BANG! it
>>happens. You'll recognize it when you see it.
>
>-----------------------------
>Unless I'm totally misreading this, we may soon find the answer to that
>old 'immovable object, irresistable force' paradox.
>

>--riverman

I think you did read it right. It might be interesting to see how it
plays out.

Donut

riverman
November 27th, 2005, 04:49 AM
My guess is like any bullfight, picadore.

--riverman
BTW, did anyone remember to bring the matadore?

Donut
November 27th, 2005, 07:24 AM
On 26 Nov 2005 20:49:21 -0800, "riverman" > wrote:

>My guess is like any bullfight, picadore.

Maybe. But who's the horseman, and who's the bull?

>--riverman
>BTW, did anyone remember to bring the matadore?

Don

Wolfgang
November 27th, 2005, 09:26 AM
"Donut" > wrote in message

> I find this quite illuminating. Wolfgang will argue/debate anyone,
> including himself, apparently just for the sake of it :)

It's good exercise. One can learn from it.

> Due to my less then stellar job of quoting, (sorry) it seems that
> Wolfgang thought he was replying to something I wrote. I didn't write
> it, he did. I merely cut and pasted something he wrote a year ago.

Things are not always what they seem. Ask Willi.

"It might be interesting to see how it plays out."

Depends on what one finds interesting. If you're content with pretending to
believe that you're involved in some sort of game.....and that you're
winning.....knock yourself out. You won't lack for company.

> hee, hee, hee as Wolfgang would say.

Hee, hee, hee.

Wolfgang

GaryM
November 27th, 2005, 12:55 PM
"riverman" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Well, my spam filters are pretty good, as almost all of those end
> up in my 'bulk mail' or 'filtertest' folders, and can be deleted
> with a click or two. I was just wondering if the spam curve falls
> off at any time. I suppose I'll have to get a new return address
> for roff in the short future, though, and see if I can dry up the
> spam over time.

There's no sign of that happening soon. Our best hope is a
reengineering of the way mail is sent and there are at least 3 new
specifications under discussion. Once overcoming the common agreement
hurdle, deploying to the new the mail servers and Domain Naming will
take a very long time. And believe it or not, people do still buy
from spammers; I seem to remember that example a spammer gave that
10,000 spams give 20 bites which might get the spammer $100 (usually
a commission from another dubious scheme). With no overhead and no
real actual work this is fine for some, which is why most well known
email addresses get easily 150 a day. My address above is a
disposable yahoo address that points to a real once. I have been
using it a good 3 years, unmunged and it does not get that many spams
per day versus my old yahoo.com. So the advice earlier in this thread
is good. Unfortunately Yahoo charge for the ability to create a
disposable email addy. Not sure of free services.

Daniel-San
November 27th, 2005, 04:20 PM
"GaryM" wrote ...

> Unfortunately Yahoo charge for the ability to create a
> disposable email addy. Not sure of free services.

I've been using spamgourmet for a while. Truly disposable. Completely free.
So far, pretty good. Not something that would work for NG posting, but for
those times when you must give out a valid email, it works very well.

http://www.spamgourmet.com/

Dan

RkyMtnHootOwl
November 29th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Hi riverman,

I have been trying to get out from under the apparent belief of many
spammers that my love life is lacking! I need an equity loan for a house
that I don't own! I need a guaranteed low interest mortgage loan to buy a
house, so that I would then qualify for the previously mentioned equity
loan! I need charge cards to build up my credit, but then if it is so bad,
why would they want to do any of the above! And all of this in light of the
fact that I have won 2 lotteries in Great Britain just in the last week! In
addition to the handful of estate attorneys who are offering to allow me to
help them disperse the wealth of numerous generous, but deceased, Nigerian
businessmen!

I think I will just adjust my email addresses!

I decided at the same time to figure out how to use a newsgroup reader
(40tude), and I owe a few of you an apology for my Google posting in the
past, as I begin to understand why it is a headache for those of you out
here who use readers. In particular bottom posting, canceling, and
multiposting. I also want to issue a belated thank you to Mellisa R. for
introducing me to some of the reasons and tools for using a reader. Sorry
that it took me so long to get it up to speed and figured out. I still have
a few buttons left to figure out what they do, so if I push one at the
wrong time, please understand, I am just learning to drive!

RkyMtnHootOwl 0v0

Life is about each moment of breath,
Living, about each breathless moment!

Thanks, KnesisKnosis, aka Tinkerntom, aka TnT

and now a friendlier, "RkyMtnHootOwl" 0v0

2 WW kayaks,
'73 Folbot Super,
pre '60 Klepper AEII
77 Hobie Cat 16

To email, use only one "hoot", and I'll get the message!