PDA

View Full Version : OT-sorta--Kentucky fishing questions

John Hightower
November 28th, 2005, 05:09 PM
So I have a new son-in-law. Put it to bad parenting on my part or whatever,
but my daughter number two married a spin fisherman :-( Lewis has been
reassigned to Fort Knox for the next upmty ump years cycle. I think if I
had had more time I might have been able to straighten him out about some
things, but that's water under the bridge now.

Before he left Missoula, he had two spinning rods and reels stolen (I had
nothing to do with it, honest). So I'm thinking about building him a
spinning rod for a x-mas/birthday - but I really don't know much about
spinning rods nor what he is likely to be fishing for in Kentucky. I think
what was stolen was a light rod and his pike rod (he really liked pike
fishing around hear). So I'd appreciate any advice as to what he can expect
for fishing around Fort Knox- and what kind of tackle would be
appropriate---I have no idea if he can deal with baitcasting tackle.

jh

Wayne Knight
November 28th, 2005, 07:19 PM
John Hightower wrote:
> So I have a new son-in-law. Put it to bad parenting on my part or whatever,
> but my daughter number two married a spin fisherman :-( Lewis has been
> reassigned to Fort Knox for the next upmty ump years cycle. I think if I
> had had more time I might have been able to straighten him out about some
> things, but that's water under the bridge now.
>
> Before he left Missoula, he had two spinning rods and reels stolen (I had
> nothing to do with it, honest). So I'm thinking about building him a
> spinning rod for a x-mas/birthday - but I really don't know much about
> spinning rods nor what he is likely to be fishing for in Kentucky. I think
> what was stolen was a light rod and his pike rod (he really liked pike
> fishing around hear). So I'd appreciate any advice as to what he can expect
> for fishing around Fort Knox- and what kind of tackle would be
> appropriate---I have no idea if he can deal with baitcasting tackle.

Fort Knox is near Lousiville, Louisville is on the Ohio River for a
start. Louisville has fairly quick access to several nearby waters,
both impoundments (lakes) and river/streams. There was even a spring
creek relatively near by that was a KY TU project for trout that I
fished once. (In case you need to visit). The son in law will have his
choice of Bass(es), Bream, Crappie, some stocked/introduced Pike, KY
might even have tried to introduce Muskie like TN did. Eastern part of
the state has some limestone creeks holding trout and more of those
lakes I mentioned. So almost anything will go.

Last time I checked the fishing license for spin fisher in KY costs the
same as the fishing license for fly fishers but it was around 1998-1999
that I got my limited KY fishing knowledge. Things may have changed in
seven years.

Oh yea, Lousiville is 103 miles from my abode. If you visit some time
drop me a note, we'll find you some fly fisher water. It might be for
those trashy bass and bream but by God we'll use a fly anyway. :)

John Hightower
November 28th, 2005, 08:31 PM
"Wayne Knight" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Oh yea, Lousiville is 103 miles from my abode. If you visit some time
> drop me a note, we'll find you some fly fisher water. It might be for
> those trashy bass and bream but by God we'll use a fly anyway. :)

Thanks for the info Wayne- hopefully we can get down there before he goes
somewhere else. Bass on flies is fun stuff- I kind of wish we had more of
those critters around here! Hopefully I can turn Lewis from the dark side
someday- but we must have patience.

jh

JohnR
November 29th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Don't forget the Cumberland River! It is one of the South's best tailwaters
with the Kentucky state record brown being taken from there.

It isn't that far from the Louisville area. Maybe a couple of hours or so.

-John

"Wayne Knight" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> John Hightower wrote:
> > So I have a new son-in-law. Put it to bad parenting on my part or
whatever,
> > but my daughter number two married a spin fisherman :-( Lewis has been
> > reassigned to Fort Knox for the next upmty ump years cycle. I think if
> > had had more time I might have been able to straighten him out about
some
> > things, but that's water under the bridge now.
> >
> > Before he left Missoula, he had two spinning rods and reels stolen (I
had
> > nothing to do with it, honest). So I'm thinking about building him a
> > spinning rod for a x-mas/birthday - but I really don't know much about
> > spinning rods nor what he is likely to be fishing for in Kentucky. I
think
> > what was stolen was a light rod and his pike rod (he really liked pike
> > fishing around hear). So I'd appreciate any advice as to what he can
expect
> > for fishing around Fort Knox- and what kind of tackle would be
> > appropriate---I have no idea if he can deal with baitcasting tackle.
>
> Fort Knox is near Lousiville, Louisville is on the Ohio River for a
> start. Louisville has fairly quick access to several nearby waters,
> both impoundments (lakes) and river/streams. There was even a spring
> creek relatively near by that was a KY TU project for trout that I
> fished once. (In case you need to visit). The son in law will have his
> choice of Bass(es), Bream, Crappie, some stocked/introduced Pike, KY
> might even have tried to introduce Muskie like TN did. Eastern part of
> the state has some limestone creeks holding trout and more of those
> lakes I mentioned. So almost anything will go.
>
> Last time I checked the fishing license for spin fisher in KY costs the
> same as the fishing license for fly fishers but it was around 1998-1999
> that I got my limited KY fishing knowledge. Things may have changed in
> seven years.
>
> Oh yea, Lousiville is 103 miles from my abode. If you visit some time
> drop me a note, we'll find you some fly fisher water. It might be for
> those trashy bass and bream but by God we'll use a fly anyway. :)

Mike
November 30th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Build him a fly rod also 5/6 wt give him one of your old reels & spare
spool one set up to catch bass one set up for trout as the saying goes
if you have one you will use it and the next time the two of you meet
he will be a flyfisher.........as for a spinning rod beats the ****
outof me maybe softhackle or joel will read this thread and offer some
advice both are good rodmakers