PDA

View Full Version : Galvan Reels?

Tom Nakashima
November 29th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Does anyone here fish with a Galvan reel? I would like to know what they
like and dislike about the reel.
The one I had in mind is the open back ob-2 or the standard 2.75
http://www.galvanflyreels.com/
I need to purchase a reel in a 4 wt.line capacity.
-tom

briansfly
November 29th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Tom Nakashima wrote:

> Does anyone here fish with a Galvan reel? I would like to know what they
> like and dislike about the reel.
> The one I had in mind is the open back ob-2 or the standard 2.75
> http://www.galvanflyreels.com/
> I need to purchase a reel in a 4 wt.line capacity.
> -tom

Tom,

I don't own one, but I have considered purchasing one. I've heard a lot
of good things about the reels.....I don't think i've ever heard
anything negative. They have a strong following in Ca., and I assume the
out of state sales are good too. I've heard the customer service was
excellent. The one feature I do not care for, is the silent out going
line. I like the clicker sounds of a reel.

brians

John Hightower
November 29th, 2005, 10:06 PM
"Tom Nakashima" > wrote in message
> Does anyone here fish with a Galvan reel? I would like to know what they
> like and dislike about the reel.
> The one I had in mind is the open back ob-2 or the standard 2.75
> http://www.galvanflyreels.com/
> I need to purchase a reel in a 4 wt.line capacity.
> -tom
Tom, I have two of the OB series reels- one on my 4 wt and one on my 6 wt.
I love them- slightly heavier than some other reels in their class- but I
think they are more durable. For some reason, I am more taken with the 4wt
reel than I am on the 6wt. Drag adjustment is good-some reels a very small
turn on the drag makes big differences in the drag- the Galvans seem to have
a little more forgiveness- if you need to tighten or loosen the drag you
can- without worrying that you overcorrected.

my only bitch is that I don't use them enough:-(

jh

Charlie Wilson
November 30th, 2005, 01:15 AM
"Tom Nakashima" > wrote in message
> Does anyone here fish with a Galvan reel? I would like to know what they
> like and dislike about the reel.
> The one I had in mind is the open back ob-2 or the standard 2.75
> http://www.galvanflyreels.com/
> I need to purchase a reel in a 4 wt.line capacity.
> -tom

They are great reels, especially for the price. They are a small, family
run business, and you can bet a member of the Galvan family assembled each
and every one.
Several years ago a friend slammed the tail gate of my truck on my
Galvan reel, heavily damaging the frame. I called them and asked if they
would replace just the frame (I had several spools) and Bonifacio Galvan
told me to send it with the spool, so that they could be sure to fit it
right. They replaced the whole thing, including the spool, and even put my
fly line on the new spool (I hadn't removed the line, thinking I would get
the old spool back). The reel was several years old at the time, and I had
explained the boneheaded accident to them, but they still replaced it for
free.

pmfpa
November 30th, 2005, 04:14 AM
I had a similar experience with my 3 weight. A fine reel, nothing too
fancy.

I think that a truck ran over it in the parking lot. Somehow I thought they
could repair it, sent it in, and they sent back a new one with no questions
asked as to how I mangled it so badly.

"Charlie Wilson" > wrote in message

> "Tom Nakashima" > wrote in message
>> Does anyone here fish with a Galvan reel? I would like to know what they
>> like and dislike about the reel.
>> The one I had in mind is the open back ob-2 or the standard 2.75
>> http://www.galvanflyreels.com/
>> I need to purchase a reel in a 4 wt.line capacity.
>> -tom
>>
> They are great reels, especially for the price. They are a small,
> family run business, and you can bet a member of the Galvan family
> assembled each and every one.
> Several years ago a friend slammed the tail gate of my truck on my
> Galvan reel, heavily damaging the frame. I called them and asked if they
> would replace just the frame (I had several spools) and Bonifacio Galvan
> told me to send it with the spool, so that they could be sure to fit it
> right. They replaced the whole thing, including the spool, and even put my
> fly line on the new spool (I hadn't removed the line, thinking I would get
> the old spool back). The reel was several years old at the time, and I had
> explained the boneheaded accident to them, but they still replaced it for
> free.

Tom Nakashima
November 30th, 2005, 02:22 PM
>> Tom Nakashima wrote:
>> Does anyone here fish with a Galvan reel? I would like to know what they
>> like and dislike about the reel.
>> The one I had in mind is the open back ob-2 or the standard 2.75
>> http://www.galvanflyreels.com/
>> I need to purchase a reel in a 4 wt.line capacity.
>> -tom
>

>Briansfly writes:
> Tom,
> I don't own one, but I have considered purchasing one. I've heard a lot of
> good things about the reels.....I don't think i've ever heard anything
> negative. They have a strong following in Ca., and I assume the out of
> state sales are good too. I've heard the customer service was excellent.
> The one feature I do not care for, is the silent out going line. I like
> the clicker sounds of a reel. brians

>John Hightower writes:
>Tom, I have two of the OB series reels- one on my 4 wt and one on my 6 wt.
>I love them- slightly heavier than some other reels in their class- but I
>think they are more durable. For some reason, I am more taken with the 4wt
>reel than I am on the 6wt. Drag adjustment is good-some reels a very small
>turn on the drag makes big differences in the drag- the Galvans seem to
>have a little more forgiveness- if you need to tighten or loosen the drag
>you can- without worrying that you overcorrected.
>my only bitch is that I don't use them enough:-(
>jh

> Charlie Wilson writes:
> They are great reels, especially for the price. They are a small, family
> run business, and you can bet a member of the Galvan family assembled each
> and every one.
> Several years ago a friend slammed the tail gate of my truck on my Galvan
> reel, heavily damaging the frame. I called them and asked if they would
> replace just the frame (I had several spools) and Bonifacio Galvan told me
> to send it with the spool, so that they could be sure to fit it right.
> They replaced the whole thing, including the spool, and even put my fly
> line on the new spool (I hadn't removed the line, thinking I would get the
> old spool back). The reel was several years old at the time, and I had
> explained the boneheaded accident to them, but they still replaced it for
> free.

>pmfpa writes:
>I had a similar experience with my 3 weight. A fine reel, nothing too
>fancy.
>I think that a truck ran over it in the parking lot. Somehow I thought
>they
>could repair it, sent it in, and they sent back a new one with no questions
>asked as to how I mangled it so badly.

Gosh, all great reviews on the Galvan reels. I am definitely sold!
I've heard the Galvan reels perform well, and are machined to close
tolerances for fit, and the workmanship is outstanding.
I also enjoyed reading about the customer service from Galvan. I didn't
know they are a family owned small company.
This newsgroup is very useful.
thanks again,
-tom

detoor
November 30th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Silence is golden..

Mu Young Lee
December 1st, 2005, 01:13 AM
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Tom Nakashima wrote:

> Does anyone here fish with a Galvan reel?

I have the Torque in the size for 5-6 wt but have spooled up 4 weight
line. The funny thing about the reel is that given all its openings and
holes I was worried that it would be rather weak. But actually, the ribs
are quite beefy. I fell down on the reel (instinctively I help onto my
rod but also landed on my rod hand as it hit the large rock that I slipped
on) and the spool fell off and there is a slight nick on the drag
adjustment. I was very impressed with the toughness of this reel.

Drag is more than adequate for 6 wt quarry. The Torque doesn't forward
free-spool like the open back Galvan - the latter is very useful for
quickly picking up loose line when a fish is on the hook.

Mu

eric paul zamora
December 1st, 2005, 11:14 PM
tom,

i have a galvan OB3. i think this brians character is completely whacked. my
galvan is silent on the RETREIVE, and a very light click on outgoing. but i
have it set for left hand retrieve.

the drag feels great although i find smallish fish usually so haven't tested
it yet. it's a clean looking rel and have no problem with tolerances.

there is one slight irritation which is easily overcome and people have
written about it online. when you attempt to replace the spool, you must
hold in the center release button on the spool and rotate the spool until it
finally clicks in place, fully locking the spool to the body. sometimes i
find myself turning it a full revolution or more before that final click
lock. according to what i've read, this happens when your drag setting is
light. i just tested it right now and it snaps on quickly when the drag is
increased a bit. that is the only abnormality to this reel that i can find.
otherwise it's a great reel, seemly a great company and someday, i'm going
to buy a galvan stadard.

eric
fresno, ca.