PDA

View Full Version : Trout Unlimited: congress trying to sell your national forest, park, fly fishing lands

Johnson
December 1st, 2005, 09:38 PM
It looks like this will be looked at December 6th in comittee. It
passed the House already.

http://www.tu.org/atf/cf/{0D18ECB7-7347-445B-A38E-65B282BBBD8A}/Sale%20of%20Public%20Lands%20fact%20sheet%20FINAL. pdf

In December, a House-Senate Conference Committee will meet to determine
the f
of millions of acres of public lands. At issue is a provision that
would allow for the
sale of millions of acres of public lands to real estate developers,
mining com
and other development interests. These harmful measures to fish and
wildlife are
buried within the House Reconciliation Bill, and were inserted without
public notice
or debate by U.S. Rep. Richard Pombo (R-CA).
ate
panies,
The Reconciliation bill passed by the Senate does not include these
measures. Trout Unlimited
strongly urges the conferees to strike these sections.
Issue
Sections 6201-6207 of S. 1932, the Reconciliation Bill, would amend the
1872 Mining Law and
allow mining companies and others who claim an interest in mining, to
buy publicly-owned lands for
$1,000 per acre. Pombo's provisions would actually weaken standards
set under the
environmentally-lax 1872 Mining Law by allowing development interests
to privatize public land
without public review or federal oversight.
Fish and Wildlife Thrive on Public Lands
Public lands are managed in trust by the U.S. Forest Service and the
Bureau of Land Management for
all of the people of the United States. They contain more than 50
percent of the nation's blue-ribbon
trout streams. They are strongholds for imperiled native trout in the
western United States and brook
trout in the East. In addition, they contain the best remaining habitat
for migrating salmon and
steelhead. More than 25 percent of the nation's drinking water flows
across national forests, alone.
Hunting and Fishing Rights Are at Risk
Pombo's fire-sale of public lands would reverse a 30-year
congressional mandate that public lands
remain in public ownership. As more private lands are subdivided or
posted, public lands provide
the last access for sportsmen who wish to fish, hunt, and camp with
their families and friends. That
access would be effectively lost as a result of Pombo's legislation.
Proponents of the bill claim that access to these lands will be
maintained for hunters and anglers, but
these are hollow promises. No legal mechanisms exist to guarantee
hunting and fishing rights on
private land.
No Opportunity Exists for Public Comment
The firesale provisions were inserted into the Reconciliation Bill
without any legislative hearing.
They are buried within hundreds of pages of unrelated legislation,
which is subject to an expedited
approval process. The serious and far-ranging implications of these
measures demand that they be
considered in the full light of day.
For more information, contact Brian O'Donnell, Director of Trout
Unlimited's Public Lands
Initiative, (970) 903-0276 or .

Wolfgang
December 2nd, 2005, 12:07 AM
"Johnson" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
> the last access for sportsmen who wish to fish, hunt, and camp with
> their families and friends. That
> access would be effectively lost as a result of Pombo's legislation.
> Proponents of the bill claim that access to these lands will be
> maintained for hunters and anglers, but
> these are hollow promises. No legal mechanisms exist to guarantee
> hunting and fishing rights on
> private land.
> No Opportunity Exists for Public Comment
> The firesale provisions were inserted into the Reconciliation Bill
> without any legislative hearing.
> They are buried within hundreds of pages of unrelated legislation,
> which is subject to an expedited
> approval process. The serious and far-ranging implications of these
> measures demand that they be
> considered in the full light of day.
> For more information, contact Brian O'Donnell, Director of Trout

Now, just LOOK at that crap up there! And it NEVER occurs to you to wonder
why no one takes you seriously??!! :(

Wolfgang

Jimbo
December 2nd, 2005, 05:07 PM
woah, easy there! This message is a little more important than griping
about pasting errors. But I guess that's easy to do when you don't have
very important things to dwell on.

Wolfgang
December 2nd, 2005, 05:57 PM
"Jimbo" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> woah, easy there! This message is a little more important than griping
> about pasting errors.

Past errors? Are you referring to some former "Johnson" contribution
here?......something contained in the garbled message I responded
to?......or is it perhaps that jumble itself? Or maybe it's a
secret....."need to know" and all that? In any case, all errors quickly
find their way into the past. We ignore them at our collective peril. Take
a look around you if you're at all interested in the results.

> But I guess that's easy to do when you don't have
> very important things to dwell on.

Well, as it happens, I DO have something rather important to occupy my mind.
Everywhere one looks today one bumps up hard against the fact that the
illiterate, the innumerate, the abysmally ignorant, the idiotic, the
sociopaths, the psychopaths, and the downright evil elect themselves as
spokespersons on EVERY side of EVERY issue.......and their erstwhile allies
rarely if ever show the good sense to tell them to shut up.....or simply do
the world and themselves a favor by shooting them.

If you've got something more important than that, I'd be delighted to hear
it......but I can't promise I'll be able to do much about till I get this
other matter settled.

Wolfgang

Jimbo
December 2nd, 2005, 06:16 PM
"Well, as it happens, I DO have something rather important to occupy my
mind.
Everywhere one looks today one bumps up hard against the fact that the
illiterate, the innumerate, the abysmally ignorant, the idiotic, the
sociopaths, the psychopaths, and the downright evil elect themselves as

spokespersons on EVERY side of EVERY issue.......and their erstwhile
allies
rarely if ever show the good sense to tell them to shut up.....or
simply do
the world and themselves a favor by shooting them. "

Sounds like someone needs a date....

Wolfgang
December 2nd, 2005, 06:33 PM
"Jimbo" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Sounds like someone needs a date....

Looks like someone doesn't "have very important things to dwell on".

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
December 2nd, 2005, 06:37 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "Jimbo" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>> Sounds like someone needs a date....
>
> Looks like someone doesn't "have very important things to dwell on".

But wait! Help is at hand. I just found something useful and important for
you to dwell on:

http://holdthebutton.com/index.html

Do stop by from time to time and keep us informed of your progress.

Wolfgang

Dave LaCourse
December 2nd, 2005, 07:20 PM
On 2 Dec 2005 10:16:18 -0800, "Jimbo" >
wrote:

>"Well, as it happens, I DO have something rather important to occupy my
>mind.
>Everywhere one looks today one bumps up hard against the fact that the
>illiterate, the innumerate, the abysmally ignorant, the idiotic, the
>sociopaths, the psychopaths, and the downright evil elect themselves as
>
>spokespersons on EVERY side of EVERY issue.......and their erstwhile
>allies
>rarely if ever show the good sense to tell them to shut up.....or
>simply do
>the world and themselves a favor by shooting them. "
>

>Sounds like someone needs a date....

<splork>

Post of the week!