PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I need one of these

Frank Reid
December 2nd, 2005, 02:50 PM
http://www.theregister.com/2005/12/02/mosquito/

Can you imagine it? Clear out the line at the music store, enjoy a museum
in DC during the Summer, this is the perfect tool.

"Howard Stapleton's "Mosquito" emits an ultrasonic sound which can be heard
by most kids and teenagers but is inaudible to the majority of adults over
30 due to the inevitable deterioration of hearing with age."

--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

FlyCaughtInTree
December 2nd, 2005, 04:19 PM
I guess they could have a moratorium at the mall before school starts
so that Mom can take the kids to get their school clothes. But, yeah,
I can see this. It'll just drive the kids out of the malls and onto
the streets. Kinda like all the smokers crowding around the entrances
to buildings. Talk about unintended consequences....

Steve
(who thinks the kids should have a little more parental interaction,
like, say, taking them fishing?)

Jeff Taylor
December 2nd, 2005, 04:36 PM
"Frank Reid" > wrote in message
> http://www.theregister.com/2005/12/02/mosquito/
>
> Can you imagine it? Clear out the line at the music store, enjoy a museum
> in DC during the Summer, this is the perfect tool.
>
> "Howard Stapleton's "Mosquito" emits an ultrasonic sound which can be
> heard by most kids and teenagers but is inaudible to the majority of
> adults over 30 due to the inevitable deterioration of hearing with age."

Heard the story on the radio while dropping my 14 year old son off at school
this morning. He just shook his head and said "why would anyone want to hang
out at the mall anyway"... That comment put a smile on my face for the
day... Guess I have done something right...

Have a great weekend all,
JT

Mu Young Lee
December 2nd, 2005, 04:54 PM
On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, FlyCaughtInTree wrote:

> I guess they could have a moratorium at the mall before school starts
> so that Mom can take the kids to get their school clothes. But, yeah,
> I can see this. It'll just drive the kids out of the malls and onto
> the streets. Kinda like all the smokers crowding around the entrances
> to buildings. Talk about unintended consequences....

William and Joseph makes a $10 version of this which is supposed to drive
away female mosquitoes. I guess my hearing still has broadband capability
because I can definitely hear the high pitched sound.

Mu

December 3rd, 2005, 11:19 AM
I want one of these:

http://www.cell-block-r.com/

RkyMtnHootOwl
December 3rd, 2005, 11:32 AM
On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:36:12 -0800, Jeff Taylor wrote:

> "Frank Reid" > wrote in message
>> http://www.theregister.com/2005/12/02/mosquito/
>>
>> Can you imagine it? Clear out the line at the music store, enjoy a museum
>> in DC during the Summer, this is the perfect tool.
>>
>> "Howard Stapleton's "Mosquito" emits an ultrasonic sound which can be
>> heard by most kids and teenagers but is inaudible to the majority of
>> adults over 30 due to the inevitable deterioration of hearing with age."
>>

> Heard the story on the radio while dropping my 14 year old son off at school
> this morning. He just shook his head and said "why would anyone want to hang
> out at the mall anyway"... That comment put a smile on my face for the
> day... Guess I have done something right...
>
> Have a great weekend all,
> JT

Maybe because he knows the females will not be there?

RkyMtnHootOwl OvO

lou t
December 3rd, 2005, 01:24 PM
You can always go cheap and play a boom box with Deby Boone singing
"You light up my life". Then again, that may drive away other than
just teenagers.

Wayne Knight
December 5th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Mu Young Lee wrote:

> I guess my hearing still has broadband capability
> because I can definitely hear the high pitched sound.

That's because you ain't been married long enough. My wife says I'm
deaf.

Tim J.
December 5th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Wayne Knight typed:
> Mu Young Lee wrote:
>
>> I guess my hearing still has broadband capability
>> because I can definitely hear the high pitched sound.
>
> That's because you ain't been married long enough. My wife says I'm
> deaf.

Now THAT'S funny!
--
TL,
Tim

December 6th, 2005, 03:12 AM
lou t wrote:
> You can always go cheap and play a boom box with Deby Boone singing
> "You light up my life". Then again, that may drive away other than
> just teenagers.

Same idea, different music: some malls and stores have
started to play classical music over their sound systems.

Mu Young Lee
December 6th, 2005, 05:38 AM
On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Tim J. wrote:

> Wayne Knight typed:
>> Mu Young Lee wrote:
>>
>>> I guess my hearing still has broadband capability
>>> because I can definitely hear the high pitched sound.
>>
>> That's because you ain't been married long enough. My wife says I'm
>> deaf.
>
> Now THAT'S funny!

If he's deaf then how does he know what his wife is saying?

Mu

Cyli
December 6th, 2005, 06:23 AM
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 00:38:23 -0500, Mu Young Lee >
wrote:

>On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Tim J. wrote:
>
>> Wayne Knight typed:

>>> That's because you ain't been married long enough. My wife says I'm
>>> deaf.
>>
>> Now THAT'S funny!
>
>If he's deaf then how does he know what his wife is saying?
>
>Mu

It's the spousal partial deafness thing. They can't hear a word
you're saying loudly and clearly when they're channel flipping for
sports, but if you look out the window and say quietly, "I can't
believe she'd wear just that tight blouse and little skirt in this
weather." they'll often be temporarily cured. Until they look out
the window themselves and see you're talking about an 8 year old.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: (strip the .invalid to email)

Wolfgang
December 6th, 2005, 11:33 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> lou t wrote:
>> You can always go cheap and play a boom box with Deby Boone singing
>> "You light up my life". Then again, that may drive away other than
>> just teenagers.
>
> Same idea, different music: some malls and stores have
> started to play classical music over their sound systems.

Much more effective in the long run. Sort of a mall virus equivalent of a
multi-drug cocktail.......a kind of integrated pest management approach. As
repulsive as a single high tone is and as toxic as Boone may be, the nasty
little beasts soon develop an immunity. But a constant bombardment with an
ever shifting witches brew of Beethoven, Dvorak, Mahler, Mozart, Stravinsky,
Verdi, et al, delivered by phalanxes of violins, oboes and heavily armored
coloraturas........well, the mere thought of the ensuing carnage makes even
my skin crawl. :(

Wolfgang
as the birds drop off the phone lines and rachel carson spins at high rpm in
her grave.

Joe McIntosh
December 6th, 2005, 01:16 PM
"Wolfgang" > ever shifting witches brew of Beethoven, Dvorak, Mahler,
Mozart, Stravinsky,
> Verdi, et al, delivered by phalanxes of violins, oboes and heavily armored
> coloraturas........well, the mere thought of the ensuing carnage makes
> even my skin crawl. :(
>
> Wolfgang
> as the birds drop off the phone lines and rachel carson spins at high rpm
> in her grave.
>Indian Joe smiles and offers--well Wolfgang don"t guess you will be
>standing in line for tickets to opening production this season at newly
>remodeled La Scala. Best seats were $1300 but quickly sold out.

Tom Nakashima
December 6th, 2005, 02:39 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> Much more effective in the long run. Sort of a mall virus equivalent of a
> multi-drug cocktail.......a kind of integrated pest management approach.
> As repulsive as a single high tone is and as toxic as Boone may be, the
> nasty little beasts soon develop an immunity. But a constant bombardment
> with an ever shifting witches brew of Beethoven, Dvorak, Mahler, Mozart,
> Stravinsky, Verdi, et al, delivered by phalanxes of violins, oboes and
> heavily armored coloraturas........well, the mere thought of the ensuing
> carnage makes even my skin crawl. :(
>
> Wolfgang
> as the birds drop off the phone lines and rachel carson spins at high rpm
> in her grave.

There is another Wolfgang who was a pretty darn good composer in his time
1754-1791.
I just heard a live performance of the concerto for violoncello in B minor,
Op. 104 by Antonin Dvorak this past weekend. Oh well, guess I'm one of the
few here who enjoys listening to classical music.
-tom

Wolfgang
December 6th, 2005, 02:56 PM
"Tom Nakashima" > wrote in message

> "Wolfgang" > wrote in message
>>
>> Much more effective in the long run. Sort of a mall virus equivalent of
>> a multi-drug cocktail.......a kind of integrated pest management
>> approach. As repulsive as a single high tone is and as toxic as Boone may
>> be, the nasty little beasts soon develop an immunity. But a constant
>> bombardment with an ever shifting witches brew of Beethoven, Dvorak,
>> Mahler, Mozart, Stravinsky, Verdi, et al, delivered by phalanxes of
>> violins, oboes and heavily armored coloraturas........well, the mere
>> thought of the ensuing carnage makes even my skin crawl. :(
>>
>> Wolfgang
>> as the birds drop off the phone lines and rachel carson spins at high rpm
>> in her grave.
>>

> There is another Wolfgang who was a pretty darn good composer in his time
> 1754-1791.
> I just heard a live performance of the concerto for violoncello in B
> minor, Op. 104 by Antonin Dvorak this past weekend. Oh well, guess I'm one
> of the few here who enjoys listening to classical music.
> -tom

There are probably more than you think. Personally, I'm a big
fan......um.....except for the opera part......well, and a lot of the stuff
that followed, and all too often was inspired by, Le Sacre du Printemps.
:)

Wolfgang
who, nevertheless, finds it impossible to stay awake in a comfortable seat
in a dark concert hall through an entire performance. :(

December 6th, 2005, 02:59 PM
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 05:33:47 -0600, "Wolfgang" > wrote:

> wrote in message
oups.com...

>> lou t wrote:
>>> You can always go cheap and play a boom box with Deby Boone singing
>>> "You light up my life". Then again, that may drive away other than
>>> just teenagers.
>>
>> Same idea, different music: some malls and stores have
>> started to play classical music over their sound systems.
>
>Much more effective in the long run. Sort of a mall virus equivalent of a
>multi-drug cocktail.......a kind of integrated pest management approach. As
>repulsive as a single high tone is and as toxic as Boone may be, the nasty
>little beasts soon develop an immunity. But a constant bombardment with an
>ever shifting witches brew of Beethoven, Dvorak, Mahler, Mozart, Stravinsky,
>Verdi, et al, delivered by phalanxes of violins, oboes and heavily armored
>coloraturas........well, the mere thought of the ensuing carnage makes even
>my skin crawl. :(
>
>Wolfgang
>as the birds drop off the phone lines and rachel carson spins at high rpm in
>her grave.

Seems like it'd be easier to just close down all the ****ing
malls...well, OK, not exactly "easier," but certainly
better..."Abercrombie and Fitch," my ass...

Wolfgang
December 6th, 2005, 03:11 PM
> wrote in message

> Seems like it'd be easier to just close down all the ****ing
> malls...well, OK, not exactly "easier," but certainly
> better..."Abercrombie and Fitch," my ass...

Um.....yeah.....that's nice. Come back again someday when you've got
something to say......o.k.?

Wolfgang

Tom Nakashima
December 6th, 2005, 03:21 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "Tom Nakashima" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Wolfgang" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Much more effective in the long run. Sort of a mall virus equivalent of
>>> a multi-drug cocktail.......a kind of integrated pest management
>>> approach. As repulsive as a single high tone is and as toxic as Boone
>>> may be, the nasty little beasts soon develop an immunity. But a
>>> constant bombardment with an ever shifting witches brew of Beethoven,
>>> Dvorak, Mahler, Mozart, Stravinsky, Verdi, et al, delivered by phalanxes
>>> of violins, oboes and heavily armored coloraturas........well, the mere
>>> thought of the ensuing carnage makes even my skin crawl. :(
>>>
>>> Wolfgang
>>> as the birds drop off the phone lines and rachel carson spins at high
>>> rpm in her grave.
>>>

>> There is another Wolfgang who was a pretty darn good composer in his time
>> 1754-1791.
>> I just heard a live performance of the concerto for violoncello in B
>> minor, Op. 104 by Antonin Dvorak this past weekend. Oh well, guess I'm
>> one of the few here who enjoys listening to classical music.
>> -tom
>
> There are probably more than you think. Personally, I'm a big
> fan......um.....except for the opera part......well, and a lot of the
> stuff that followed, and all too often was inspired by, Le Sacre du
> Printemps. :)
>
> Wolfgang
> who, nevertheless, finds it impossible to stay awake in a comfortable seat
> in a dark concert hall through an entire performance. :(

Well for me, it didn't happen overnight, and just as a good fly-casting
stroke, or to acquire the taste of fine red wines, or the ear to appreciate
classical music, these all take years to develop. I'll never call myself an
expert at either one, but I'm sure enjoying life as time passes.
-tom

December 6th, 2005, 03:25 PM
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 09:11:08 -0600, "Wolfgang" > wrote:

> wrote in message
>
>> Seems like it'd be easier to just close down all the ****ing
>> malls...well, OK, not exactly "easier," but certainly
>> better..."Abercrombie and Fitch," my ass...
>
>Um.....yeah.....that's nice. Come back again someday when you've got
>something to say......o.k.?
>
>Wolfgang

You too

Daniel-San
December 6th, 2005, 03:42 PM
"Tom Nakashima" wrote

> Well for me, it didn't happen overnight, and just as a good fly-casting
> stroke, or to acquire the taste of fine red wines, or the ear to
> appreciate classical music, these all take years to develop. I'll never
> call myself an expert at either one, but I'm sure enjoying life as time
> passes.
> -tom

Very well said.

The subjects on which I can be considered an expert are, uhhhh.... nearly
non-existent, but the 'learning curve' sure as hell is fun.

....especially in the red wine department...

Dan

Wolfgang
December 6th, 2005, 03:53 PM
> wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 09:11:08 -0600, "Wolfgang" > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
>>
>>> Seems like it'd be easier to just close down all the ****ing
>>> malls...well, OK, not exactly "easier," but certainly
>>> better..."Abercrombie and Fitch," my ass...
>>
>>Um.....yeah.....that's nice. Come back again someday when you've got
>>something to say......o.k.?
>>
>>Wolfgang
>>
> You too

You first.

Wolfgang
hee, hee, hee.

Cyli
December 7th, 2005, 07:12 AM
On 5 Dec 2005 19:12:00 -0800, "
> wrote:

>lou t wrote:
>> You can always go cheap and play a boom box with Deby Boone singing
>> "You light up my life". Then again, that may drive away other than
>> just teenagers.
>
> Same idea, different music: some malls and stores have
>started to play classical music over their sound systems.

Downtown Minneapolis used it to good effect on one street corner that
used to be a nuisance (general public opinion. Not mine. Didn't
bother me any) where a flock of somewhat rowdy teens hung out.
Dayton's (a subsidiary of Target) had put up a billboard there that
had audio and played Christmas Carols. The kids stood up to that
pretty well, but after Christmas they changed the look of the sign and
did something nasty to the speakers and started playing something
awful (I don't recall what, maybe 50s pop or Muzak). I could barely
manage to walk past it. Crowding by kids vanished. I felt very sorry
for those who had to wait for busses near there. Very nasty speakers
there.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: (strip the .invalid to email)

Tom Nakashima
December 7th, 2005, 03:11 PM
"Daniel-San" > wrote in message

> "Tom Nakashima" wrote
>
>> Well for me, it didn't happen overnight, and just as a good fly-casting
>> stroke, or to acquire the taste of fine red wines, or the ear to
>> appreciate classical music, these all take years to develop. I'll never
>> call myself an expert at either one, but I'm sure enjoying life as time
>> passes.
>> -tom
>

> Very well said.
>
> The subjects on which I can be considered an expert are, uhhhh.... nearly
> non-existent, but the 'learning curve' sure as hell is fun.
>
> ...especially in the red wine department...
>
> Dan

Dan, great that you also enjoy red wines I do like the whole package when I
go on a fly-fishing trip. I don't know if you have ever been to the Trinity
in Northern California for the steelhead run but it's pretty awesome. Lots
of territory to fish so you're never crowded. I've seen the
corporate-fly-fisherman with their shinny new rods and reels listening
intently to their guides down to the locals fishing solo with rods and reels
that looked like they've been through a war.
The local fly-fisherman are great to chat with and willing to share their
tips and techniques and areas of interest. I've even traded fly patterns
with them.

There's a good restaurant in the small town of Weaverville just on the
outskirts of the Trinity where the food is outstanding called La Grange,
sure beats the hell out of Denny's where my friend first took us. (Tom has a
hard time digesting rubber steak). They have a great wine selection as well
as great selection of beers at La Grange. The food is outstanding as I had
one of the best prepared Filet Mignon's in my life. You can dine in the
white tablecloth area or the fisherman's section in the bar area as we did
and trade fishing stories with the others.
-tom

Daniel-San
December 7th, 2005, 07:32 PM
"Tom Nakashima" wrote ...

> "Daniel-San" wrote
>>
>> "Tom Nakashima" wrote
>>
>>> Well for me, it didn't happen overnight, and just as a good fly-casting
>>> stroke, or to acquire the taste of fine red wines, or the ear to
>>> appreciate classical music, these all take years to develop. I'll never
>>> call myself an expert at either one, but I'm sure enjoying life as time
>>> passes.
>>> -tom
>>

>> Very well said.
>>
>> The subjects on which I can be considered an expert are, uhhhh.... nearly
>> non-existent, but the 'learning curve' sure as hell is fun.
>>
>> ...especially in the red wine department...
>>
>> Dan
>>

> Dan, great that you also enjoy red wines

Love the stuff. Got 'into' them mebbe 10 years ago -- all due to parental
influence. They took a trip out to Napa, and well, now the whole family is a
bunch of McCatholics living up to the reputation of the aforesaid group.
Started out like many others, I s'pose, on the cheaper mass-marketed Aussie
reds like Rosemount and Jacob's Creek. Nothing wrong with them, old Monty
Python notwithstanding. Have moved into big, uber-dry red zins. Nothing
quite like the explosion from a good zin. Anise, berry, etc., etc. Couple
that with some good bruschetta and/or really old, crumbly Irish Cheddar (or
do they call it 'farmhouse'? Dunno, but it's RFG). SWMBO and I have been
known to while away a Sunday afternoon every now and then heavily under the
influence of the grape. Wonderful, absolutely wonderful.

I do like the whole package when I
> go on a fly-fishing trip. I don't know if you have ever been to the
> Trinity in Northern California for the steelhead run but it's pretty
> awesome. Lots of territory to fish so you're never crowded. I've seen the
> corporate-fly-fisherman with their shinny new rods and reels listening
> intently to their guides down to the locals fishing solo with rods and
> reels that looked like they've been through a war.
> The local fly-fisherman are great to chat with and willing to share their
> tips and techniques and areas of interest. I've even traded fly patterns
> with them.

My trips tend to be a bit more modest from a budgetary standpoint. My
frequent fishing partner is a Michigander, and as I am in the
Land-of-Lincoln-But-Not-of-Trout, we tend to fish Michigan waters when
together. Camped out in Pombo National Forest with a bottle of whiskey and a
case of High Life is about as extravagant as we get. One of these days, I'll
get SWMBO to come with me on a FF trip and the grape juice will be
a'flowin'.

> There's a good restaurant in the small town of Weaverville just on the
> outskirts of the Trinity where the food is outstanding called La Grange,
> sure beats the hell out of Denny's where my friend first took us. (Tom has
> a hard time digesting rubber steak). They have a great wine selection as
> well as great selection of beers at La Grange. The food is outstanding as
> I had one of the best prepared Filet Mignon's in my life. You can dine in
> the white tablecloth area or the fisherman's section in the bar area as we
> did and trade fishing stories with the others.
> -tom

I've always been more of a backpacker than a fisherman. Fishing is a
somewhat new (5-6 years on this incarnation) phenomenon for me, so I still
like to camp. I have recently gone from eating dehydrated to actually
bringing a Weber and cooking something resembling fresh. A big step for me.
Friend of mine is a mean BBQ cook, and the ribs after a day of fishing....
Damn!

Dan

Tom Nakashima
December 7th, 2005, 08:49 PM
"Daniel-San" > wrote in message
et...

> [...]
>> sure beats the hell out of Denny's where my friend first took us. (Tom
>> has a hard time digesting rubber steak). They have a great wine
>> selection as well as great selection of beers at La Grange. The food is
>> outstanding as I had one of the best prepared Filet Mignon's in my life.
>> You can dine in the white tablecloth area or the fisherman's section in
>> the bar area as we did and trade fishing stories with the others.
>> -tom
>
> I've always been more of a backpacker than a fisherman. Fishing is a
> somewhat new (5-6 years on this incarnation) phenomenon for me, so I still
> like to camp. I have recently gone from eating dehydrated to actually
> bringing a Weber and cooking something resembling fresh. A big step for
> me. Friend of mine is a mean BBQ cook, and the ribs after a day of

I'm also a hardcore backpacker, love the John Muir Trail, had summit
Mt.Whitney a few times. also fished the Bishop area, but still the golden
trout eludes me...one of these days.

It's hard to beat the Napa/Sonoma/Mendocino wines, the tours are bigger than
ever now and people come from all over the world. I haven't been up there
for awhile, just don't care much for the tourist areas, but there are some
good hidden winery's around. Paso Robles (central Calif) are noted for
their Zins

It took me about 20 years to developed the taste buds to recognize and
distinguish a wine's character. In the beginning I couldn't tell a good cab
or merlot from a bad one, they all tasted pretty much the same. I'm still
ignorant on white wines and will probably go to my gave that way. I also
never indulge to get plastered like some of my friends, I figure they can do
that on "Thunderbird" but I usually choose a good wine to complement a meal.
Most of the time one glass will suit me fine through dinner, and two if the
wine is outstanding.

We'll have to fish together on the Trinity for steelhead someday, then head
to La Grange after, the Filet Mignon and Merlot will be on me.
-tom

Daniel-San
December 7th, 2005, 09:01 PM
> [...]
>>> food is outstanding as I had one of the best prepared Filet Mignon's in
>>> my life. You can dine in the white tablecloth area or the fisherman's
>>> section in the bar area as we did and trade fishing stories with the
>>> others.
>>> -tom
>>
>> I've always been more of a backpacker than a fisherman. Fishing is a
>> somewhat new (5-6 years on this incarnation) phenomenon for me, so I
>> still like to camp. I have recently gone from eating dehydrated to
>> actually bringing a Weber and cooking something resembling fresh. A big
>> step for me. Friend of mine is a mean BBQ cook, and the ribs after a day
>> of fishing.... Damn!
>>

>> Dan
>>

> I'm also a hardcore backpacker, love the John Muir Trail, had summit
> Mt.Whitney a few times. also fished the Bishop area, but still the golden

As a midwesterner (that just hurts to say) Isle Royale is my BP poison of
choice. Been there a buncha times, mostly solo. Fished a bit, but the
shoreline is not exactly conducive to casting, and I'm not a huge fan of
wet-wading leech-filled water. Soloed once with a canoe; tons of fun -- got
dragged around by a good pike for about 15 minutes. A blast.

> It's hard to beat the Napa/Sonoma/Mendocino wines, the tours are bigger
> than ever now and people come from all over the world. I haven't been up
> there for awhile, just don't care much for the tourist areas, but there
> are some good hidden winery's around. Paso Robles (central Calif) are
> noted for their Zins

Yes, yes on the the Paso Robles. Couldn't tell you where it is on a map, but
I sure can find it in the wine store. Quickly, too.

> It took me about 20 years to developed the taste buds to recognize and
> distinguish a wine's character. In the beginning I couldn't tell a good
> cab or merlot from a bad one, they all tasted pretty much the same. I'm
> still ignorant on white wines and will probably go to my gave that way. I
> also never indulge to get plastered like some of my friends, I figure they
> can do that on "Thunderbird" but I usually choose a good wine to
> complement a meal. Most of the time one glass will suit me fine through
> dinner, and two if the wine is outstanding.

Many a fun evening in college was prolonged into a misery-filled morning by
Boone's, Thunderbird, and Richard's Wild Irish Rose (among other
hallucinogens). Watered down Everclear with a shot of grape juice. The
thought of it makes me cringe.

I agree, I don't intend to get plastered, but I will admit that on occasion,
it does happen. Usually when it's cold around the campfire, and the
whiskey's out. There's something about Jack Daniel's and a campfire. One of
my many weaknesses, I s'pose.

> We'll have to fish together on the Trinity for steelhead someday, then
> head to La Grange after, the Filet Mignon and Merlot will be on me.
> -tom

Sounds great... One of these days, I'd like to start meeting some ROFFian
ilk.

Dan

Wolfgang
December 7th, 2005, 09:09 PM
"Tom Nakashima" > wrote in message

> ...Paso Robles (central Calif) are noted for their Zins

Hm.......

I believe the "Black Box" wine ($15.99 per 3 liter box!) I've been drinking
for the past year or so comes from Paso Robles. :)

But, it's a Cabernet. :(

> It took me about 20 years to developed the taste buds to recognize and
> distinguish a wine's character. In the beginning I couldn't tell a good
> cab or merlot from a bad one, they all tasted pretty much the same. I'm
> still ignorant on white wines and will probably go to my gave that way....

So much to learn.....so little time!

We hosted a couple of wine tastings two or three years ago. I discovered,
much to my relief, that I've got a more or less wooden palate........I
figure it's saved me a LOT of money.

Wolfgang

Tom Nakashima
December 7th, 2005, 09:38 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "Tom Nakashima" > wrote in message
>>
>> ...Paso Robles (central Calif) are noted for their Zins
>
> Hm.......
>
> I believe the "Black Box" wine ($15.99 per 3 liter box!) I've been
> drinking for the past year or so comes from Paso Robles. :)
>
> But, it's a Cabernet. :(
>
>> It took me about 20 years to developed the taste buds to recognize and
>> distinguish a wine's character. In the beginning I couldn't tell a good
>> cab or merlot from a bad one, they all tasted pretty much the same. I'm
>> still ignorant on white wines and will probably go to my gave that
>> way....
>
> So much to learn.....so little time!
>
> We hosted a couple of wine tastings two or three years ago. I discovered,
> much to my relief, that I've got a more or less wooden palate........I
> figure it's saved me a LOT of money.
>
> Wolfgang

Pretty good Wolf,
Even Colgate has no effect to rid wooden palate.
I've heard of the Black Box from Paso Robles, but never tired it, looking
forward to in the future. I usually stop off at Sylvester's Winery once a
year at the end of May, they always have a nice private reserve cab waiting
for me and I also sample their Zins. We usually head over to Cambria to
Linn's Bakery for lunch and the worlds best Olallieberry Pie.

You'll also have to come down up to the Trinity someday, I'm sure you can
teach me a thing or two on the river...you'll probably be one of the skilled
anglers and hook onto a 22 pounder.
-tom

Wolfgang
December 7th, 2005, 10:53 PM
"Tom Nakashima" > wrote in message

> Pretty good Wolf,
> Even Colgate has no effect to rid wooden palate.

Nothing does, as far as I know. But that's o.k., for the previously stated
reason. Besides, I have more than enough pleasures in life already......I
can well do without being a knowledgeable wine drinker.

> I've heard of the Black Box from Paso Robles, but never tired it, looking
> forward to in the future.

Well, in my case, it's certainly good enough fer who it's fer. But then,
given all of the above, that probably shouldn't be taken as a high and
reputable recommendation. Hell, Becky doesn't drink
it......Nooooooo!.....SHE has to have her Monte Antico and her Woop Woop
and......um.....ahem.....well, never mind about that. :(

> I usually stop off at Sylvester's Winery once a year at the end of May,
> they always have a nice private reserve cab waiting for me and I also
> sample their Zins. We usually head over to Cambria to Linn's Bakery for
> lunch and the worlds best Olallieberry Pie.

Ollalieberry? Never heard of it. What means?

> You'll also have to come down up to the Trinity someday, I'm sure you can
> teach me a thing or two on the river...you'll probably be one of the
> skilled anglers and hook onto a 22 pounder.

You wouldn't learn much from me. Those here who have spent any significant
time fishing with me would probably concede that I'm a pretty fair caster,
but they're deluded if they give me credit for much more than that as a
fisherman.......and they're too bright to be easily deluded. Nevertheless,
I'd be delighted to take you up on the offer someday.....um.....except that
I'm a marked man west of the Mississippi. :(

Wolfgang
um......well, and in a pretty good chunk of what's east of it too, for that
matter.

Wolfgang
December 8th, 2005, 09:07 PM
"Tom Nakashima" > wrote in message

> ...Olllalieberry, sometimes spelled Olallieberry is a cross between
> loganberry (native to Oregon and South to Baja CA) and youngberry
> (raspberry). A heated slice of pie with a scoop of homemade vanilla
> ice-cream and a fresh cup of brewed coffee, and I'm better than new.

Yum.....sounds great.

>>> You'll also have to come down up to the Trinity someday, I'm sure you
>>> can teach me a thing or two on the river...you'll probably be one of the
>>> skilled anglers and hook onto a 22 pounder.
>>
>> You wouldn't learn much from me. Those here who have spent any
>> significant time fishing with me would probably concede that I'm a pretty
>> fair caster, but they're deluded if they give me credit for much more
>> than that as a fisherman.......and they're too bright to be easily
>> deluded. Nevertheless, I'd be delighted to take you up on the offer
>> someday.....um.....except that I'm a marked man west of the Mississippi.
>> :(
>
> The Trinity is a beautiful river up in Northern California area. I heard
> the local fly fishermen says it takes a life time to get to know it well.
> I plan to get up there once a year for the steelhead run. You really don't
> need a guide as you can do the "local anglers" sighting as I do. Lots of
> room to fish so you're never crowded. I did buy a map of the Trinity and
> discussed with the locals some of the areas of steelhead activity and fly
> patterns.
> http://www.trinityriveradventures.com/california-fly-fishing.htm
>
> Yes, you'll have to fold up that confederate flag and head west, there's
> some beautiful country up here. And I'll have to head south someday and
> sic my teeth into some real fried chicken.
> btw, I never had grits, but looking forward to trying it.

I don't have a confederate flag. You seem to have misplaced me somehow. I
was raised in Wisconsin and have lived here most of my life, for the past 11
years or so in Milwaukee. However, I did live in the south for a while a
few decades back.

Fried chicken is good. :)

Don't bother with grits. :(

Wolfgang

Tim J.
December 8th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Wolfgang typed:
> "Tom Nakashima" > wrote in message
>>
>> ...Olllalieberry, sometimes spelled Olallieberry is a cross between
>> loganberry (native to Oregon and South to Baja CA) and youngberry
>> (raspberry). A heated slice of pie with a scoop of homemade vanilla
>> ice-cream and a fresh cup of brewed coffee, and I'm better than new.
>
> Yum.....sounds great.

They are very good. We used to have them in my back yard when I was a wee
lad.

> Fried chicken is good. :)
>
> Don't bother with grits. :(

Amen, brother!
--
TL,
Tim

Wayne Harrison
December 8th, 2005, 09:52 PM
"Tim J." > wrote

>> Fried chicken is good. :)
>>
>> Don't bother with grits. :(
>
> Amen, brother!

foolish yankee phillistines! you have obviously never been allowed to
consume a bowl of cheese grits as prepared by the proprietor of little
wayno's kuntry kitchen (we never close).

only for you kids do i reveal the marvelous composition of such a
delicacy: a handful of yaller grits stirred in about a cup of skim milk;
add 6 drops of texas pete hot sauce, several splashes of lime juice, and a
pinch of equal sweetner. microwave on high for 2mins. remove from oven and
lay one thin slice of sharp cheddar cheese on top. stir after cheese melts.
butter to taste.

hell, i'm goin' home for a dish right this minute!

yfitons
wayno

Charlie Choc
December 8th, 2005, 10:00 PM
On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 16:52:20 -0500, "Wayne Harrison" > wrote:

>"Tim J." > wrote
>
>>> Fried chicken is good. :)
>>>
>>> Don't bother with grits. :(
>>
>> Amen, brother!
>
> foolish yankee phillistines! you have obviously never been allowed to
>consume a bowl of cheese grits as prepared by the proprietor of little
>wayno's kuntry kitchen (we never close).
>
> only for you kids do i reveal the marvelous composition of such a
>delicacy: a handful of yaller grits stirred in about a cup of skim milk;
>add 6 drops of texas pete hot sauce, several splashes of lime juice, and a
>pinch of equal sweetner. microwave on high for 2mins. remove from oven and
>lay one thin slice of sharp cheddar cheese on top. stir after cheese melts.
>butter to taste.
>
> hell, i'm goin' home for a dish right this minute!

Holy moly, microwave grits. *Now* I've heard everything. :(
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

Tom Nakashima
December 8th, 2005, 10:07 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "Tom Nakashima" > wrote in message
>>

>> ...Olllalieberry, sometimes spelled Olallieberry is a cross between
>> loganberry (native to Oregon and South to Baja CA) and youngberry
>> (raspberry). A heated slice of pie with a scoop of homemade vanilla
>> ice-cream and a fresh cup of brewed coffee, and I'm better than new.
>
> Yum.....sounds great.

>>> You wouldn't learn much from me. Those here who have spent any
>>> significant time fishing with me would probably concede that I'm a
>>> pretty fair caster, but they're deluded if they give me credit for much
>>> more than that as a fisherman.......and they're too bright to be easily
>>> deluded. Nevertheless, I'd be delighted to take you up on the offer
>>> someday.....um.....except that I'm a marked man west of the Mississippi.
>>> :(
>>
>> The Trinity is a beautiful river up in Northern California area. I heard
>> the local fly fishermen says it takes a life time to get to know it well.
>> I plan to get up there once a year for the steelhead run. You really
>> don't need a guide as you can do the "local anglers" sighting as I do.
>> Lots of room to fish so you're never crowded. I did buy a map of the
>> Trinity and discussed with the locals some of the areas of steelhead
>> activity and fly patterns.
>> http://www.trinityriveradventures.com/california-fly-fishing.htm
>>
>> Yes, you'll have to fold up that confederate flag and head west, there's
>> some beautiful country up here. And I'll have to head south someday and
>> sic my teeth into some real fried chicken.
>> btw, I never had grits, but looking forward to trying it.
>
> I don't have a confederate flag. You seem to have misplaced me somehow.
> I was raised in Wisconsin and have lived here most of my life, for the
> past 11 years or so in Milwaukee. However, I did live in the south for a
> while a few decades back.

My mistake, just thought when you said you were a marked man west of the
Mississippi, I took it for granted you may be one of those still waving the
confederate flag. Glad to hear you're not. There are some in the deep south
who still believe in the Robert E Lee.

> Fried chicken is good. :)
>
> Don't bother with grits. :(

I going to be brave and try grits someday. I said the same thing about
poi....now that you can glue cork together with.

-tom

Ken Fortenberry
December 8th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Tim J. wrote:
> Wolfgang typed:
>>Don't bother with grits. :(
>
> Amen, brother!

Southerners make the most godawful grits and the slop that
appears uninvited on breakfast plates throughout the South
is for all practical purposes inedible.

But good grits, aka polenta, is excellent stuff.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Mike Connor
December 8th, 2005, 10:17 PM
"Tom Nakashima" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> I going to be brave and try grits someday. I said the same thing about
> poi....now that you can glue cork together with.
>

> -tom

Apple poi, or raspberry poi?

Begorrah!

TL
MC

Charlie Choc
December 8th, 2005, 10:19 PM
On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 14:07:00 -0800, "Tom Nakashima" >
wrote:

>I going to be brave and try grits someday. I said the same thing about
>poi....now that you can glue cork together with.

I like grits, they're basically as good as what you put on them. I've had poi
and can't think of anything that would make that taste good.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

Tim J.
December 8th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Wayne Harrison typed:
> "Tim J." > wrote
>
>>> Fried chicken is good. :)
>>>
>>> Don't bother with grits. :(
>>
>> Amen, brother!
>
> foolish yankee phillistines!

First of all, there is the name. "Grits." Where else have I seen that?. . .
oh, yeah - sandpaper. Secondly, that's how it tastes. Here - try this
recipe: Take 1/2 pound of <insert food product here>, stirred in about a cup
of skim milk; add 6 drops of Texas Pete hot sauce, several splashes of lime
juice, and a pinch of equal sweetner. Microwave on high for 2mins. Remove
from oven and lay one thin slice of sharp cheddar cheese on top. Stir after
cheese melts. Butter to taste.

Hell, when you have to cover something claiming to be food that deeply, does
the main ingredient really matter? ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

Wolfgang
December 8th, 2005, 11:27 PM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message

> "Tim J." > wrote
>
>>> Fried chicken is good. :)
>>>
>>> Don't bother with grits. :(
>>
>> Amen, brother!
>
> foolish yankee phillistines! you have obviously never been allowed to
> consume a bowl of cheese grits as prepared by the proprietor of little
> wayno's kuntry kitchen (we never close).
>
> only for you kids do i reveal the marvelous composition of such a
> delicacy: a handful of yaller grits stirred in about a cup of skim milk;
> add 6 drops of texas pete hot sauce, several splashes of lime juice, and a
> pinch of equal sweetner. microwave on high for 2mins. remove from oven
> and lay one thin slice of sharp cheddar cheese on top. stir after cheese
> melts. butter to taste.
>
> hell, i'm goin' home for a dish right this minute!

Equal sweetener? Ack !

Bring along some real sugar in September and I'd be willing to give it a
try. Hell, I'll trade you a pasty for some of that! :)

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
December 8th, 2005, 11:50 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
. net...
> Tim J. wrote:
>> Wolfgang typed:
>>>Don't bother with grits. :(
>>
>> Amen, brother!
>
> Southerners make the most godawful grits and the slop that
> appears uninvited on breakfast plates throughout the South
> is for all practical purposes inedible.
>
> But good grits, aka polenta, is excellent stuff.

Nah, the trouble with grits is not what sets them apart from
polenta.......it's what they have in common......along with white rice,
pasta, potatoes, and a number of other staples. It's not that any of them
is BAD......they're just vehicles. Wayno is right; cover any of them up
with all kinds of flavorful and interesting things (exactly what every
cuisine in every culture that has the means does.....well, ALMOST every
culture, that is), and they're great. Conversely, a plate full of grits
(pretty much what you get most places I've eaten in the south) or pasta or
rice or polenta or potatoes is just dull, dull, dull. It's all
edible......but what's the point?

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
December 9th, 2005, 12:09 AM
"Tom Nakashima" > wrote in message

> "Wolfgang" > wrote in message
>>
>> I don't have a confederate flag. You seem to have misplaced me somehow.
>> I was raised in Wisconsin and have lived here most of my life, for the
>> past 11 years or so in Milwaukee. However, I did live in the south for a
>> while a few decades back.
>
> My mistake, just thought when you said you were a marked man west of the
> Mississippi, I took it for granted you may be one of those still waving
> the confederate flag. Glad to hear you're not. There are some in the deep
> south who still believe in the Robert E Lee.

Um......don't look now, but your travels south of the Mason-Dixon line just
became fraught with some of the same kinds of obstacles and possible
repercussions that mine enjoy in the.......well, most other places.
:(

>> Fried chicken is good. :)
>>
>> Don't bother with grits. :(
>
> I going to be brave and try grits someday.

Luckily, they're easy enough to find. You shouldn't have much trouble
locating them somewhere near you. When you do, try Wayno's recipe.......or
smother them in whatever you'd put on white rice. I'd wait a bit.......at
least until the smoke clears.......before venturing into the land of Dixie
with a hand full of gimme and a mouth full of much obliged, if I were you.
:)

> I said the same thing about poi....now that you can glue cork together
> with.

I have heard (although I can't confirm it from personal experience) that
this is perhaps the best use to which it can be put. :)

Wolfgang
who (reputation of the iron brigade notwithstanding) is mighty glad that he
has not given capital (or even corporal) offense in the sou......um....the
southea......mmm....the caroli......uh......NORTH carolina......yet......he
hopes. :(

Wayne Harrison
December 9th, 2005, 12:09 AM
"Tom Nakashima" > wrote

> My mistake, just thought when you said you were a marked man west of the
> Mississippi, I took it for granted you may be one of those still waving
> the confederate flag. Glad to hear you're not. There are some in the deep
> south who still believe in the Robert E Lee.

well, i believe certain things *about* r. e. lee. but that would be
true without regard to where i reside.

wayno

December 9th, 2005, 01:34 AM
wrote:

> foolish yankee phillistines! you have obviously never been allowed to
>consume a bowl of cheese grits as prepared by the proprietor of little
>wayno's kuntry kitchen (we never close).
>
> only for you kids do i reveal the marvelous composition of such a
>delicacy: a handful of yaller grits stirred in about a cup of skim milk;
>add 6 drops of texas pete hot sauce, several splashes of lime juice, and a
>pinch of equal sweetner. microwave on high for 2mins. remove from oven and
>lay one thin slice of sharp cheddar cheese on top. stir after cheese melts.
>butter to taste.

Oh, lordy-lordy...microwaved Equal and one thin slice of cheese?

Put 1 part grits, preferably yaller, to two parts water and two parts
evaporated milk with salt and pepper in a heavy pan and bring to a boil.
Simmer for about 20-30 minutes.

While the grits are doin' their thing, melt an unhealthy amount of
butter (for example, if you used a cup of grits, use a stick of butter)
in a saucepan and add some pureed garlic (yeah, powder will work) and
cayenne. Remove from heat and set aside.

When the grits are done, add the butter and a generous amount of sharp
cheddar, a inch or so of a Velveeta loaf, cubed (yeah, but it really
does add to it), and a generous _grating_ of at least decent Parmesan
(if you don't have it on hand omit it rather than sub the green-canned
sawmill sweep...HEY! Now that I haven't used for cork repair, but....).

Serve with fried bream/brim, savoury cole slaw, and for dessert, red
velvet cake with Creole cream cheese icing, Creole cream cheese ice
cream, and coffee and chicory.

TC,

Wayne Harrison
December 9th, 2005, 01:45 AM
> wrote

(snip)

> Serve with fried bream/brim, savoury cole slaw, and for dessert, red
> velvet cake with Creole cream cheese icing, Creole cream cheese ice
> cream, and coffee and chicory.
>
> TC,

richard, if you *really* eat that sort of thing on a daily basis, i must
say that your death wish makes papa hemingway's condition look like sesame
street.

you *must* put me in your will, if only for some little side by side, 28
ga, i would trust...

yfitons
wayno

December 9th, 2005, 02:14 AM
On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 01:45:36 GMT, "Wayne Harrison" >
wrote:

> wrote
>
>(snip)
>
>> Serve with fried bream/brim, savoury cole slaw, and for dessert, red
>> velvet cake with Creole cream cheese icing, Creole cream cheese ice
>> cream, and coffee and chicory.
>>
>> TC,
>
> richard, if you *really* eat that sort of thing on a daily basis, i must
>say that your death wish makes papa hemingway's condition look like sesame
>street.

*Every* day? No, and wouldn't want to, but if I'm gonna eat such as
that, I'm goddamned sure not gonna pussyfoot around with Equal and a
piece of cheese small enough to under-nourish a shipwrecked mouse...<>G

> you *must* put me in your will, if only for some little side by side, 28
>ga, i would trust...

Aw, hell, why not. Ya only live a couple-few times...

TC,

>yfitons
>wayno

Wayne Harrison
December 9th, 2005, 02:22 AM
> wrote

>>wayno whined:
>> richard, if you *really* eat that sort of thing on a daily basis, i
>> must
>>say that your death wish makes papa hemingway's condition look like sesame
>>street.
>
> *Every* day? No, and wouldn't want to, but if I'm gonna eat such as
> that, I'm goddamned sure not gonna pussyfoot around with Equal and a
> piece of cheese small enough to under-nourish a shipwrecked mouse...<>G
>>
>> you *must* put me in your will, if only for some little side by side,
>> 28
>>ga, i would trust...
>
> Aw, hell, why not. Ya only live a couple-few times...

that recipe is my breakfast for at least four days a week. about 170
calories.

and, since i shoot left handed, would you mind having the 28 designed
with a cast off stock?

yfitons
wayno

December 9th, 2005, 02:38 AM
On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 02:22:17 GMT, "Wayne Harrison" >
wrote:

> wrote
>
>>>wayno whined:
>>> richard, if you *really* eat that sort of thing on a daily basis, i
>>> must
>>>say that your death wish makes papa hemingway's condition look like sesame
>>>street.
>>
>> *Every* day? No, and wouldn't want to, but if I'm gonna eat such as
>> that, I'm goddamned sure not gonna pussyfoot around with Equal and a
>> piece of cheese small enough to under-nourish a shipwrecked mouse...<>G
>>>
>>> you *must* put me in your will, if only for some little side by side,
>>> 28
>>>ga, i would trust...
>>
>> Aw, hell, why not. Ya only live a couple-few times...
>

> that recipe is my breakfast for at least four days a week. about 170
>calories.

If I may - try some miso broth with tofu, kelp, and mushrooms, with a
bowl of brown rice and _real_ soy sauce, and a few small slices of
sushi-grade tuna once a week. Why? Why not. Oh, and sub some fresh
garlic for the Equal, just to see what you think. Smash some garlic
with the flat of a large knife and puree it with kosher salt.

> and, since i shoot left handed, would you mind having the 28 designed
>with a cast off stock?

No worries - I do, too.

TC,

Tom Nakashima
December 9th, 2005, 02:20 PM
> "Tom Nakashima" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> <SNIP>
>> I going to be brave and try grits someday. I said the same thing about
>> poi....now that you can glue cork together with.
>> -tom

Even though it doesn't apply much to"Okay, I need one of these." I'll have
to say those were the funniest comments I've read on the Grits thread...some
good recipes too.
Pretty darn good group here ROFF.
-tom

Conan The Librarian
December 9th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Wolfgang wrote:

> [grits]
>
> Luckily, they're easy enough to find. You shouldn't have much trouble
> locating them somewhere near you. When you do, try Wayno's recipe.......or
> smother them in whatever you'd put on white rice.

Another important point: Eat them while they are hot. If you let
them cool they get a consistency of ... er ... well ... just eat them hot.

> [poi = glue]
>
> I have heard (although I can't confirm it from personal experience) that
> this is perhaps the best use to which it can be put. :)

When we were in Kauai I decided to sample some of the local cuisine
at a little place called the Aloha Diner. I tried the lomi salmon
(almost like ceviche), pipi kalua (sp? ... it was a delicious marinated
and smoked beef), and a pork dish. The wait-staff tried to discourage
me from having poi on the side, but I wanted to try it.

They were right. It's hard to describe, but it's unlike any other
foodstuff I've ever tried.

Chuck Vance (if the flavor doesn't get you the texture will)