PDA

View Full Version : ... wind ....

~^ beancounter ~^
December 5th, 2005, 08:30 PM
too windy to fish this am ..... looks like a lot of
cold air "spilling" over the rockies and out onto the
plains this am.......

-------snip--------------------------
Here is a list of wind speeds clocked throughout the front range:
Berthoud - 94 mph
Highway 93 & Highway 128 - 92 mph
JeffCo Airport - 90 mph
Longmont - 64 mph
Eldorado Springs - 98 mph
Boulder - 88 mph
Evergreen - 73 mph
Kenosha Pass - 95 mph

Wolfgang
December 5th, 2005, 11:02 PM
"~^ beancounter ~^" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> too windy to fish this am ..... looks like a lot of
> cold air "spilling" over the rockies and out onto the
> plains this am.......
>
> -------snip--------------------------
> Here is a list of wind speeds clocked throughout the front range:
> Berthoud - 94 mph
> Highway 93 & Highway 128 - 92 mph
> JeffCo Airport - 90 mph
> Longmont - 64 mph
> Eldorado Springs - 98 mph
> Boulder - 88 mph
> Evergreen - 73 mph
> Kenosha Pass - 95 mph

Eh? I grew up in Kenosha, WI. Never expected to encounter that name
anywhere else.

By the way, is it safe to assume those wind speed figures are occasional
gusts rather than sustained?

Wolfgang

~^ beancounter ~^
December 5th, 2005, 11:14 PM
yes, they are peak readings...i live in the Berthoud area...we had
peaks of 94mph and steady 75-85 for a few hrs.....the radio station guy
saw a dude launch a kite down in Boulder.......It broke in half and
disapeared fast....

Wolfgang
December 5th, 2005, 11:32 PM
"~^ beancounter ~^" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> yes, they are peak readings...i live in the Berthoud area...we had
> peaks of 94mph and steady 75-85 for a few hrs.....

Well, even 75-85 is a pretty stiff breeze. Y'all keep an eye on those
levies. :(

> the radio station guy
> saw a dude launch a kite down in Boulder.......It broke in half and
> disapeared fast....

I did a good bit of research on kites a couple of months ago, in the hope of
building and flying some of my own. I don't recall seeing anything rated
for those conditions. Hope springs eternal, I guess. :)

Wolfgang

Frank Reid
December 6th, 2005, 12:43 AM
> I did a good bit of research on kites a couple of months ago, in the hope
> of building and flying some of my own. I don't recall seeing anything
> rated for those conditions. Hope springs eternal, I guess. :)

I used to fly competitive dual-control kites. There are kites that are
rated for those kind of wind speeds. They're called streamers. :-)

When I was younger, I really enjoyed flying my kites on the beach at Seaside
in California. I had a big kite called a Hawaiian that was a huge
dual-control delta wing, 1.5 meters tall and 3 meters across the bottom. It
had so much surface that I could launch it in a 5 mph wind and with an
offshore breeze, put a wingtip in the water kick up a rooster tail. At one
time, it was radar clocked over 90 mph.
One day, I went down to the beach and found it empty save my kite-flying
mentor Carey. The wind was coming onshore at about 35-45 mph. Carey was
sitting on top of a dune in his tuxedo jacket and tails and hot pink shorts.
His long blond, trending to grey pony tail flapping in the wind.
Cool, I've got the whole beach to myself. I lay the kite down on the dune,
pushing the bottom slightly into the sand. I rolled out the twin lines,
hooked up the kite on one end and the wrist straps on the other. Slid my
hands through the straps, squatted slightly and pull the lines, bringing the
kite upright. Then, elbows at my side, I gave just a quick tug, launching
the kite.
The kite went straight up, I glanced over at Carey. Carey wrapped his arms
around his knees and leaned forward in anticipation. Of what, I didn't
know. He had taught me to fly kites so knew what I was going to do.
As I said, the kite went straight up. Normally, it will get to the top,
reduce the angle of attack and then you start steering it from there.
That's normally. Normally is flying a Hawaiian in a 7-15 mph wind. If
you're especially daring and have a bunch of mass (i.e. over 200 lbs), you
might fly it in an 18 to 20 mph wind. Weighing 125 lbs and flying a
Hawaiian in a 35 mph wind is contraindicated in the instructions that hit
the garbage, unread and unloved, along with the plastic wrap from the Kevlar
lines.
The black, red and gold kite continued to rise. 60, 70 then 80 feet off the
ground... I had only 100' feet of line. The kite is now at 90 feet and
climbing. The straps have tightened around my wrists like a Chinese finger
trap. My feet have left the ground. I'm flying.
I'm now the weight in a perverted human pendulum. The kite climbs higher and
I'm 20, 30 now 40 feet off the ground and swinging forward. I now see that
things are going from bad to worse. If I don't release soon, I'll either
fly too high and drop to my death or, if I don't get that high, I'll be
dragged across Hwy 101. My scream is torn from my throat. I'm directly
under the kite, the kite's angle of attack is neutralized and I slam into
the sand like the Great American Hero on his first day in the Super Suit.
I'm down, the wind knocked out of me, but down. Oh ****, I'm still moving.
I've become a human sled. Up the top of the dune and roll, slide down the
far side. My wrists are still locked in the straps, the kite is pulling
ever forward. There is no fence between me and the highway and the Saturday
morning tourist traffic. I'm actually faster. I realize that my struggles
to release from the wrist straps have turned the kite. It's now going
parallel to the ground, increasing its pull and speed.
There's a log in the sand about 40 feet ahead of me. I angle the kite so it
will drag me to the log. Maybe I can grab it. 35, 30, 25.. The sand is
abrading my stomach, filling my pants. My eyes are mere slits and I'm
spitting sand castles. I look at the log for a place to grab.. Oh ****.
Its not a log. Its the rotting carcass of a sea lion. A cloud of flies
fills the air and the stench fights its way up my nose, against the wind.
I pull in my right arm and rub the wrist strap off against my shoulder, my
elbows digging twin furrows in the sand. Wham, the right strap releases and
the kite tries to dislocate my left. With out the balanced control lines,
the kite spins its death spiral into the ground somewhere over the highway.
The wind of a passing truck whips past me. I've stopped, 15 feet from the
road and two feet from the corpse.
I take off the other wrist strap and stand up. Carey is standing there
besides me. Laughing like a hyena. I look and my kite has made it to the
other side of the highway. There's almost 150 feet of drag marks and I've
gone more than 250 feet from where I started.
I ask Carey why he didn't stop me. He knew what was going to happen.
"Man, sometimes you have to learn from the experience. You have to
experience to have a life. 'Sides, it was a hell of a show."

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

~^ beancounter ~^
December 6th, 2005, 02:50 AM
damm Frank....now thats what i call kite flyin'.....
"become one withe the kite", ea?

Frank Reid
December 6th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Yeh, but that end to end flush with sand really sucks.

Frank Reid

RkyMtnHootOwl
December 6th, 2005, 06:12 AM
On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 17:02:48 -0600, Wolfgang wrote:

> "~^ beancounter ~^" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> too windy to fish this am ..... looks like a lot of
>> cold air "spilling" over the rockies and out onto the
>> plains this am.......
>>
>> -------snip--------------------------
>> Here is a list of wind speeds clocked throughout the front range:
>> Berthoud - 94 mph
>> Highway 93 & Highway 128 - 92 mph
>> JeffCo Airport - 90 mph
>> Longmont - 64 mph
>> Eldorado Springs - 98 mph
>> Boulder - 88 mph
>> Evergreen - 73 mph
>> Kenosha Pass - 95 mph
>
> Eh? I grew up in Kenosha, WI. Never expected to encounter that name
> anywhere else.
>
> By the way, is it safe to assume those wind speed figures are occasional
> gusts rather than sustained?
>
> Wolfgang

Just got done watching the 10 pm news, and they were reporting gust to
130 mph across Rocky Flats just south of Boulder! Some of the gust
blow for a long time, more sustained than gusting! Nasty cold too! Did
not see any boats out on Stanley Reservoir, even the fish were
hunkered down! RkyMtnHootOwl OvO

asadi
December 6th, 2005, 12:02 PM
"Frank Reid"> I ask Carey why he didn't stop me. He knew what was going to
happen.
> "Man, sometimes you have to learn from the experience. You have to
> experience to have a life. 'Sides, it was a hell of a show."
>
> --
> Frank Reid
> Reverse email to reply

\
There's a kite shop here in town where I've bought a couple of kites. Most
of there stuff is highly decorative...ore extreme, just like what you are
talking about. They have some really cool pics on the wall..

john

asadi
December 6th, 2005, 12:02 PM
"~^ beancounter ~^" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> too windy to fish this am ..... looks like a lot of
> cold air "spilling" over the rockies and out onto the
> plains this am.......
>
> -------snip--------------------------

This due, in large part to a massive, warm, thermal updraft creating an area
of negative pressure over Cincinnati, Ohio. With the prevailing jet stream
moving in an easterly direction large air masses were coming in from the
west to fill the void.

Bush spoke there yesterday.

john

Frank Reid
December 6th, 2005, 01:27 PM
I can only equate it with flying a small airplane whilst fighting a
marlin. It can get pretty intense.
Just looked it up and the kite history pages credit the "Hawaiian Team
Kite" with starting the team flying competion era. They don't make the
particular kite anymore, but there are some really extreme kites out
there.
Corey later became the president of the American Kiteflyers Association
and is also credited as the father of the kite buggy.
Frank Reid

Frank Reid
December 6th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Hmm, I guess they do still make it.
http://www.chicagokite.com/hawteamkit.html
Frank Reid

~^ beancounter ~^
December 6th, 2005, 03:55 PM
yea, I rather do a "face plant" in snow
or surf rather than sand.....

"Yeh, but that end to end
flush with sand really sucks."

Wayne Knight
December 6th, 2005, 05:07 PM
asadi wrote:

> This due, in large part to a massive, warm, thermal updraft creating an area
> of negative pressure over Cincinnati, Ohio. With the prevailing jet stream
> moving in an easterly direction large air masses were coming in from the
> west to fill the void.
>
> Bush spoke there yesterday.

:) You missed your calling.

David Snedeker
December 6th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Amazing post.
Dave

David Snedeker
December 6th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Winds can be amazing. I live on a hill above a passage that is a funnel for
wind that starts in flats between the south end of the Olympic Mountains and
the hills of Weyerhauserland. I got one of those wind gages you put on
sailboats, and it blew apart in a steady 70+ gusting to just over 90mph. The
oldest part of the house acts as a prow into the wind and will flex in
particularly heavy storms. The rain and the salt-wind environment make it a
hard place to maintain but a wonderful perch from which to marvel at the
power of weather. Sometimes on a stormy night I drift off into a fitful
dream: Im piloting a Port Blakely built ship down the coast, Cape
Foulweather to Cape Fairweather and on to San Francisco with a load of fresh
timber. Wonderful things dreams.

Dave
Who in the real world gets seasick easy.

~^ beancounter ~^
December 6th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Dave...I am always amazed at the weather changes, here along
the Colorado front range...I moved out here 13 years ago from So
Calie.....where it takes days for the weather to change....Here, I sit
in the hot tub and can watch a wall of weather blow in off the
foothills
at 30-40 mph all the time...It is something to see....Lots of power....

I was raised sailing and taught it for a few years....On the water,
changing
weather takes on a whole different meaning .... more "personal" I
guess
would be a nice way of putting it......cheers.......

~^ beancounter ~^
December 6th, 2005, 09:37 PM
The 98 mph gust at Golden fell far short of the 147 mph record in the
area
set in January 1971 in Boulder, said Carl Burroughs of the Weather
Service
office in Boulder

bruiser
December 6th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Good one John. bh

December 6th, 2005, 11:14 PM
On 6 Dec 2005 05:27:52 -0800, "Frank Reid" >
wrote:

>I can only equate it with flying a small airplane whilst fighting a
>marlin. It can get pretty intense.
>Just looked it up and the kite history pages credit the "Hawaiian Team
>Kite" with starting the team flying competion era. They don't make the
>particular kite anymore, but there are some really extreme kites out
>there.
>Corey later became the president of the American Kiteflyers Association
>and is also credited as the father of the kite buggy.
>Frank Reid

Frank, I'm not sure I believe this fantastic _alleged_ kite story of
yours. Ya gotta admit - you were supposedly on a beach...and remained
dry - it just doesn't sound, um, well, possible...

TC,

Frank Reid
December 6th, 2005, 11:27 PM
> Frank, I'm not sure I believe this fantastic _alleged_ kite story of
> yours. Ya gotta admit - you were supposedly on a beach...and remained
> dry - it just doesn't sound, um, well, possible...

So, almost going face first into a putrid corpse just doesn't qualify as a
Full Reid. I did fall from great height.
Timmmaaaayyy. Rules committee.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

JR
December 7th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Frank Reid wrote:

> ....... I look at the log for a place to grab.. Oh ****.
> Its not a log. Its the rotting carcass of a sea lion. A cloud of flies
> fills the air and the stench fights its way up my nose, against the wind.
> I pull in my right arm and rub the wrist strap off against my shoulder, my
> elbows digging twin furrows in the sand. Wham, the right strap releases and
> the kite tries to dislocate my left. With out the balanced control lines,
> the kite spins its death spiral into the ground somewhere over the highway.
> The wind of a passing truck whips past me. I've stopped, 15 feet from the
> road and two feet from the corpse.

But of course. We would have expected nothing less. <g>

That you haven't died several times over by now, Frank, is nothing short
of an effing miracle. ;)

December 7th, 2005, 01:42 AM
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 18:27:54 -0500, "Frank Reid"
<ten.tsacmoc@diersicnarf> wrote:

>> Frank, I'm not sure I believe this fantastic _alleged_ kite story of
>> yours. Ya gotta admit - you were supposedly on a beach...and remained
>> dry - it just doesn't sound, um, well, possible...
>
>So, almost going face first into a putrid corpse just doesn't qualify as a
>Full Reid.

"Almost?" Hmm...anyway, that sounds more like a Full Lewinski...

>I did fall from great height.

Yeah, there is THAT, and the story was funny, so...

>Timmmaaaayyy. Rules committee.

....I guess the committee can make the call, but all things considered, I
guess I'd not oppose a ruling of "FR"...

TC,

RkyMtnHootOwl
December 7th, 2005, 02:19 AM
On 6 Dec 2005 07:55:00 -0800, ~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:

> yea, I rather do a "face plant" in snow
> or surf rather than sand.....
>

> "Yeh, but that end to end
> flush with sand really sucks."

Frank didn't know someone had a camera running!

http://tinyurl.com/d7w7e

RkyMtnHootOwl OvO

Frank Reid
December 7th, 2005, 02:34 AM
>> I've stopped, 15 feet from the road and two feet from the corpse.
>
> But of course. We would have expected nothing less. <g>
>
> That you haven't died several times over by now, Frank, is nothing short
> of an effing miracle. ;)

And how many guys do you know would go through something like that, stand up
in a cloud of flies and exclaim "I meant to do that."

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Tim J.
December 7th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Frank Reid wrote:
>> Frank, I'm not sure I believe this fantastic _alleged_ kite story of
>> yours. Ya gotta admit - you were supposedly on a beach...and
>> remained dry - it just doesn't sound, um, well, possible...
>
> So, almost going face first into a putrid corpse just doesn't qualify
> as a Full Reid. I did fall from great height.
> Timmmaaaayyy. Rules committee.

We can't apply the WWFD rule, because nobody else would ever get
themselves into that prediciment to have that question flash before
them. And that "Carey was sitting on top of a dune in his tuxedo jacket
and tails and hot pink shorts" part is kinda snakefiddler-like. The best
I'd rate this would be a dry-flop/skid-Reid, although style points could
be awarded for the dead seal.
--
HTH,
Tim

JR
December 7th, 2005, 03:35 AM
Frank Reid wrote:

> ... putrid corpse .....

Good name for a rock band.

Frank Reid
December 7th, 2005, 11:46 PM
> That you haven't died several times over by now, Frank, is nothing short
> of an effing miracle. ;)

Just got that from one of my "team" of doctors. This week, I had to go to
my podiatrist due to pain in the center of my foot. He took X-rays and
wanted to know if I'd been hit by a landmine or shot in the feet with a shot
gun at some point in my past.
No, says I, those little white specs you see in my feet are from falling off
a windsurf board on top of a basketball-size sea urchin in the Philipines.
The spines are covered with a silica sheath. The sheaths stayed in my feet
when the spines were pulled out. Now, 20 years later, they make pearls that
the doc gets to dig out. Got three of them in a jar right now.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Cyli
December 8th, 2005, 07:10 AM
On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 18:46:24 -0500, "Frank Reid"
<ten.tsacmoc@diersicnarf> wrote:

(snipped)
>No, says I, those little white specs you see in my feet are from falling off
>a windsurf board on top of a basketball-size sea urchin in the Philipines.
>The spines are covered with a silica sheath. The sheaths stayed in my feet
>when the spines were pulled out. Now, 20 years later, they make pearls that
>the doc gets to dig out. Got three of them in a jar right now.

Frank, did you inherit these tendencies? I mean the ones of odd
hobbies and accidents and of living through them? Obviously you
wouldn't have been born had your parents or their parents not have
survived, but did they have your strange combination of wild hair up
and bad followed by good luck?

It's a little spooky to think there might be a gene set out there for
such things.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: (strip the .invalid to email)

riverman
December 8th, 2005, 09:24 AM
And I suspect that we have no idea of the actual magnitude of 'a Full
Reid'. At best, I think we've only seen a fraction of one...

--riverman

Frank Reid
December 8th, 2005, 01:02 PM
>It's a little spooky to think there might be a gene set out there for such things.

Normally, this gene is not passed on as the carrier takes him or
herself out of the gene pool early on. Sometimes luck intercedes.
This genetic marker, along with the one that allows massive burping on
command and the other that creates bad puns has been passed on to both
of my daughters.
It has been called the Tim Allen gene, but others in the passed have
been afflicted and still risen to greatness (or almost so). One
notable is Gerald Ford.
Frank Reid

Thomas Littleton
December 9th, 2005, 04:33 PM
"Frank Reid" <ten.tsacmoc@diersicnarf> wrote in message
<snipped, disturbing sea urchin saga>

Now, 20 years later, they make pearls that
> the doc gets to dig out. Got three of them in a jar right now.

I'm thinking raffle prize, Penn's Clave 2006?

Tom
.....between you and asadi, we could never get a ROFF group
medical insurance plan.....

Frank Reid
December 9th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Well, I've always been tempted to get them made into jewelry and send
them to the girl I was dating at the time. She's the one that wanted
to learn windsurfing. I had other things on my mind.
Frank Reid

~^ beancounter ~^
December 9th, 2005, 08:31 PM
RkyMtnHootOwl....Frank got pretty small in
those shots....that dude was wayyy up
there...

Cyli
December 10th, 2005, 08:40 AM
On 8 Dec 2005 05:02:23 -0800, "Frank Reid" >
wrote:

>>It's a little spooky to think there might be a gene set out there for such things.
>
>Normally, this gene is not passed on as the carrier takes him or
>herself out of the gene pool early on. Sometimes luck intercedes.
>This genetic marker, along with the one that allows massive burping on
>command and the other that creates bad puns has been passed on to both
>of my daughters.
>It has been called the Tim Allen gene, but others in the passed have
>been afflicted and still risen to greatness (or almost so). One
>notable is Gerald Ford.
>Frank Reid

I was assuming that this particular gene includes luck. Otherwise the
ump would have raised the thumb and called an out somewhere in early
teenage for you. You can't have been an easy child to raise. Lord
knows that teen's aren't easy to raise, but I'd bet you were the stuff
of neighborhood mother's nightmares. "Hey, mom, I'll be over at
Frank's and then we might go for a drive or something." must have had
them heading for the whiskey, the valium, or hiding under the covers,
sobbing quietly.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: (strip the .invalid to email)

Frank Reid
December 10th, 2005, 02:32 PM
> I was assuming that this particular gene includes luck. Otherwise the
> ump would have raised the thumb and called an out somewhere in early
> teenage for you. You can't have been an easy child to raise. Lord
> knows that teen's aren't easy to raise, but I'd bet you were the stuff
> of neighborhood mother's nightmares. "Hey, mom, I'll be over at
> Frank's and then we might go for a drive or something." must have had
> them heading for the whiskey, the valium, or hiding under the covers,
> sobbing quietly.

Well, my mom was an ER nurse. She said she got the job because of the huge
amount of experience she got from me.
Yeh, played Tarzan, found out if you jump that far to grab something, your
thumbs turn backwards, parallel with your forearms. Did the high dive off
the top of the 2 story house into the 8 foot swimming pool, cardboard slide
down the hill of dried grass through the fire and then hit by the borade
coming out of the airplane, 30 mile bike ride up to the mountains and back
when I was 10, hit by two cars on my bike, "surfin" the conveyor belt at the
potato processing plant....
So no, I guess I wasn't much of a problem. I was the cautious one in the
group.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Wayne Knight
December 10th, 2005, 03:32 PM
"Frank Reid" <ten.tsacmoc@diersicnarf> wrote in message
. ..

> And how many guys do you know would go through something like that, stand
> up in a cloud of flies and exclaim "I meant to do that."

I assume that means you won't be relocating to Pakistan?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051210/ap_on_fe_st/pakistan_kite_ban

Frank Reid
December 10th, 2005, 05:40 PM
>> And how many guys do you know would go through something like that, stand
>> up in a cloud of flies and exclaim "I meant to do that."
>
> I assume that means you won't be relocating to Pakistan?
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051210/ap_on_fe_st/pakistan_kite_ban

Well, I've seen the fighting kites with the ground glass in the string to
cut other lines. Pretty vicious. And no, hadn't planned on moving to
Pakistan anytime soon. Kinda hard to find good pork bbq over there.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Thomas Littleton
December 10th, 2005, 11:03 PM
"Frank Reid" <ten.tsacmoc@diersicnarf> wrote in message

>no, hadn't planned on moving to
> Pakistan anytime soon. Kinda hard to find good pork bbq over there.

shoot, they have it, they just call it something else, to throw off
the really righteous folks.

Tom

Wayne Knight
December 11th, 2005, 03:02 AM
"Frank Reid" <ten.tsacmoc@diersicnarf> wrote in message

> Kinda hard to find good pork bbq over there.

And that is different than ??? I don;t recall ever hearing the praises of
Maryland Style BBQ. ;)

Cyli
December 11th, 2005, 03:44 AM
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 09:32:15 -0500, "Frank Reid"
<ten.tsacmoc@diersicnarf> wrote:

>> I was assuming that this particular gene includes luck. Otherwise the
>> ump would have raised the thumb and called an out somewhere in early
>> teenage for you. You can't have been an easy child to raise. Lord
>> knows that teen's aren't easy to raise, but I'd bet you were the stuff
>> of neighborhood mother's nightmares. "Hey, mom, I'll be over at
>> Frank's and then we might go for a drive or something." must have had
>> them heading for the whiskey, the valium, or hiding under the covers,
>> sobbing quietly.
>
>Well, my mom was an ER nurse. She said she got the job because of the huge
>amount of experience she got from me.
>Yeh, played Tarzan, found out if you jump that far to grab something, your
>thumbs turn backwards, parallel with your forearms. Did the high dive off
>the top of the 2 story house into the 8 foot swimming pool, cardboard slide
>down the hill of dried grass through the fire and then hit by the borade
>coming out of the airplane, 30 mile bike ride up to the mountains and back
>when I was 10, hit by two cars on my bike, "surfin" the conveyor belt at the
>potato processing plant....
>So no, I guess I wasn't much of a problem. I was the cautious one in the
>group.

Uh, huh. Cautious. Yah, shure. Did the rest of the less cautious
survive childhood and adolescence?

Makes my childhood look so quiet. And I was one of the two daring
ones of my group. I envy you the slide down the dry grass through the
fire. That sounds really fun for a kid.

"...hit by the borade coming out of the airplane..." Huh?

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: (strip the .invalid to email)

Frank Reid
December 11th, 2005, 01:07 PM
>Makes my childhood look so quiet. And I was one of the two daring
>ones of my group. I envy you the slide down the dry grass through the
>fire. That sounds really fun for a kid.

>"...hit by the borade coming out of the airplane..." Huh?

Growing up in Southern California we didn't have a lot of snow. We did
have hills covered with waist-high grass that would turn brown in the
Fall. We would get pieces of cardboard and slide down the grass. A
fresh run (with less than ten runs down it) would be as slick as ice
(or as slick as what we thought ice should be).
Once, whilst taking a break on top of the hill, the hill caught fire.
Happened all the time. An old broken bottle would turn into a
magnifying glass and woof! We had a about six of us on top of the hill
and we just sat there watching it. The fire department came and they
started hollaring for us to get off the hill. Well, we did. The back
side of the hill was all rock. Don't know who started it, but we all
just grabbed our cardboard and made giant run down the hill enmasse.
The fire was only about a foot wide where we went through 'cause the
grass was flat to the ground.
Evidently, the on-scene commander was worried about this bunch of kids
getting roasted on top of the hill. He had called in an air drop of
borade (fire retardant). Borade is granules they mix with water. The
timing was impeccable. As soon as we ended our run (grass that is
burnt no longer has that "ice" property), the borade bomber came
through and hit the fire line. Well, that's where we were standing,
congratulating each other. Wham!! All of us were knocked to the
ground (including the two firemen who'd come up to "rescue" us). Left
side of my face was tattooed with that **** for two weeks.
Frank Reid

Bob Weinberger
December 11th, 2005, 07:57 PM
"Frank Reid" > wrote in message
oups.com...
<snip>
>>"...hit by the borade coming out of the airplane..." Huh?
<snip>
> Evidently, the on-scene commander was worried about this bunch of kids
> getting roasted on top of the hill. He had called in an air drop of
> borade (fire retardant). Borade is granules they mix with water.
<snip>
> Frank Reid

Trying not to be too picky, but the material is Borate, and its quite
unlikely that the retardant you were hit with was actually Borate. Although
Borate was one of the first materials used as an ingredient in air dropped
fire retardants/suppressants , it was quickly replaced by things which are
more effective and environmentally friendly such as slurries of bentonite or
seaweed, or mixtures with certain fertilizers or wetting agents. The
original name "Borate" was commonly applied to all such retardant drops,
much as "Xerox" is commonly applied to most all electrostatic copies.
Air dropped retardant is generally colored pink (for ease in evaluating
where the drop fell) regardless of the material used, so it is difficult to
tell the actual mixture used just by looking at it ( or being covered with
it for that matter ) unless you are quite familiar with the various mixes.

Bob Weinberger - Who knows from numerous experiences that despite the
visions that the phrase "knocked down and covered in pink" might conjure up;
in a wildland fire fighting context, it does not bring back happy memories.

Frank Reid
December 11th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Okay, I bow to superior knowledge. This was about 1972.
We just called them borade bombers when I was a kid. Chino airport,
near my home, was home to a bunch of them.
Yeh, slurry is about right. That crap hurts like hell. And yes, we
all were pretty 'n pink.
Frank Reid

Cyli
December 12th, 2005, 02:49 AM
On 11 Dec 2005 05:07:14 -0800, "Frank Reid" >
wrote:

(snipped)

>Left side of my face was tattooed with that **** for two weeks.
>Frank Reid

Yet more astounding timing.

You have to make a collection of your stories and publish them some
day. I think the ones I've read so far are better than McManus or
whoever did the 'Shoot the Canoe' ones.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: (strip the .invalid to email)

~^ beancounter ~^
December 12th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Frank...small world...I grew up (1964-1974) in Claremont...
we palyed around in Chino, Ontario, and the "great inland
empire"....Boy, did that area change fast....We logged a fair
amount of time in the "orange groves" b4 the became housing
tracks....The fires ocassionaly got wicked.....We did a lot of
"cardboard surfing" in Santa Babara.....some great hills and
"fast grass"....

Frank Reid
December 12th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Truely a small world. I worked at the K-Mart just south of the
Montclair Plaza. Then again, that was after you left.
I remember the orange fights in the groves, the smell of the smudge
pots in the Winter, looking up and seeing Mt Baldy, the traffic at
Newport Beach on a Summer Saturday afternoon, the Santa Ana winds
gusting to over 90 mph, the Pomona freeway being built, trips to the
Colorado River...
Hey, it was actually a pretty good place to be a kid.
Frank Reid

~^ beancounter ~^
December 12th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Yea...we would make 3 or 4 trips up to mammoth every winter...
where it would snow like crazy often...Makes Colorado snow look
pretty light weight...

The Owen's valley is a heck of a playground.....

December 14th, 2005, 10:45 PM
JR wrote:
> Frank Reid wrote:
>
> > ... putrid corpse .....
>
> Good name for a rock band.

likely already taken...

what an amazing post....

I have a cousin, without Frank's resume', who experiences these
sorts of things with regularity...

he is considered the 'black sheep' of the family by "most"
but I enjoy his company as long as I stay clear of his
#5952nd get-rich-quick-scheme-which-always-involves-looking-
for-some-family-member-to-um-borrow-money-from

Frank at least is gainfully employed....

right??

great story...

-- Rob

Frank Reid
December 15th, 2005, 01:54 AM
> Frank at least is gainfully employed....

I was until I asked my boss if I could use the company video teleconference
equipment for a job interview.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

December 15th, 2005, 06:10 PM
oops

Frank Reid
December 15th, 2005, 06:58 PM
>>> Frank at least is gainfully employed....

>>I was until I asked my boss if I could use the company video
>>teleconference
>>equipment for a job interview.

> oops

No freekin' sense of humor. By the way, I still have a job. The interview
is for a new job within the company. My company is very good about letting
one move around to were they "fit" the best.
One hour till the interview. Anyone have some spare single malt?

--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

Wayne Knight
December 15th, 2005, 07:04 PM
"Frank Reid" > wrote in message

>. Anyone have some spare single malt?

Matter of fact, yes.

December 15th, 2005, 09:16 PM
good to hear... I've stayed with the same company, well sort of, for
25 years now due to the same thing...

went from ol assembly language on pdp11's to firmward to "managing" now
onto sw Q/A....

hope it goes well...

Frank Reid
December 15th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Woo Wee!!! Very good interview.
Granted, I may be moving to the black hole of fly fishing (Omaha, NE),
but I will be equidistant between Penns Creek and West Yellowstone.
Time for my third Wexfords Cream Ale and watch the ice storm take down
the neighborhood trees.
Frank Reid

Kevin Vang
December 16th, 2005, 03:45 AM
In article . com>,
says...
> Granted, I may be moving to the black hole of fly fishing (Omaha, NE),

I think there's some streams that hold trout in the Niobrara River
drainage, in the far NW corner of Neb. If you don't mind bass fishing,
you might find something closer than that.

Kevin
(and ND is only 2 states away, too!)