PDA

View Full Version : Boring transcript...

December 6th, 2005, 04:01 PM
It's just some boring transcript I found...yep, of course I added
something...just for good ol' Wolfgang...

CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order at 5:03 pm.PUBLIC
DISCUSSION: NoneAPPROVAL OF MINUTES:The minutes of the regular meeting
of November 18, 2004 were approved with no changes: Korf /Swaim,
unanimous.UNFINISHED BUSINESS:Planning Process – Craig distributed a
transcript that summarized planning work done on December 9thbythe board
with the consultant, Maureen Sullivan. Sullivan had led the Board in
revising the Library’s visionand mission statements and in setting
strategic areas for goals. Also, during Inservice Day, Sullivanguided
the staff to work up a set of goals to use as a starting point for the
planning. Transcripts of theInservice Day work were also distributed to
add to planning notebooks.Craig asked for guidance from the Board. She
wanted to know if they were they ready to adopt a visionand mission
statement. Did they want another session with Sullivan? Give the staff a
chance to work upa recommendation? The Board asked the staff to present
draft language at the February board meeting.The Board asked for advance
notice of any larger new initiative to be able to prepare for the City
budgethearing. Craig promised to have a transcript of the staff session
ready for the February board meeting.The Board also requested a copy of
the comments garnered from the October community survey. Thesewill be
distributed electronically.Craig suggested that the new plan should be
completed in time to be adopted at the June board meeting.Lease Space –
Kevin Hanick, Realtor, was not able to attend the meeting. Craig
mentioned that thecurrent contract with Lepic-Kroeger Realtors would
expire with the next Board meeting. Craig needed toknow if the Board
wanted to extend the contract or if they would prefer to deal with
another agent. Craigagreed to do more research and have a recommendation
for the Board in the January packet.In Hanick’s absence, Craig reported
that there are two entities seriously inquiring about the space.
Thefirst, a restaurant, is only interested in the first floor of the
retail space, but is ready to negotiate.
Page 2
ICPL BOARD OF TRUSTEESAgenda Item 3ADecember 16, 2004Page 2The second
group would use both floors as office space, but needs more time before
making acommitment. Hanick needed to know if the Board wanted to go with
the restaurant, an almost surething, or wait to see if the office group,
a more attractive tenant, would decide to take both floors.The Board
requested that Hanick present a market report at the January board
meeting so they have abetter idea of how to proceed. University Heights
Contract – At their January 11 meeting, the University Heights City
Council will discussthe possibility of contracting with Iowa City and
Coralville libraries for library service. Craig andVanDusseldorp are
planning to attend, with Swaim available as an alternative. Craig
predicts thatCoralville will also send a representative or two. NEW
BUSINESS:Accreditation Report – Craig explained that the Accreditation
process benefited the Library because somestate money is based on our
level of accreditation.There are a few measures ICPL did not meet. The
Library has a close working relationship with otherlocal libraries, but
does not have a formal collection development agreement with them. ICPL
appears tobe weak in number of items in the collection because the
category compares number of items owned bylarge libraries; and when
branches for Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, and Sioux City are included,
theaverage number of items goes up. The Library could reach level “B” by
adding one hour to the number ofhours open weekly, and could reach “A”
with the addition of four hours. In response to a question fromKorf,
Craig replied that ICPL no longer keeps Braille books because of low
demand, technical advances,and awkwardness of shelving the format. The
report with supporting documentation will be submitted to the State
Library by their deadline.STAFF REPORTS:Departmental Reports – Adult
Services/ Circulation/ Information – The Board enjoyed reading the
threedepartmental reports. In response to a question about the
unreliability of the Self Check machines,Penick explained that staff is
working with the vendor to provide a final solution, and that problems
withthe Self Check have been reduced from several a day to one every
three or four days. Black explainedthe difference between a “title”
(could be several copies) and an “item” (only one piece).Development
Office Report – McCarthy distributed the Development Office report and
announced that theICCSD School Board had moved the date of their meeting
to be able to send a team of spellers to theLibrary’s annual Spelling
Bee. She was optimistic about the number of year-end gifts the
DevelopmentOffice is receiving. To answer a question, McCarthy affirmed
that the end-of-the-year pledge cards wereincluded in the Foundation
Annual Report mailing, of which 1,700 were mailed.Prybil brought up the
fact that the BookEnd is not listed in the phone book under the name of
thebusiness or under the Library’s listing. McCarthy said she would
investigate.Architect to nominate building for 2005 AIA/ALA design
awards – Dan Kabera of Engberg Anderson wasin the building on December
10 to take pictures to submit for an architectural award. He promised
togive a copy of the pictures to the Library so they can be used in
publications, etc..ALA Conference June 23-30, Chicago – In light of the
fact that this year’s ALA conference is so close,trustees were
encouraged to attend. The Library will pay registration and expenses.
Page 3
ICPL BOARD OF TRUSTEESAgenda Item 3ADecember 16, 2004Page 3Miscellaneous
Readings – The Board thanked Logsden for her ongoing efforts with the
Weber local historyevents. PRESIDENT'S REPORT:Van Dusseldorp attended
the Iowa City Charter Review public meeting. He reported that the group
doesnot plan to make any changes affecting the Library.VanDusseldorp
outlined the various meetings he planned to attend: the Iowa City
Council Budget WorkSession and the University Heights City Council
Meeting. In reference to the budget meeting, Craigexplained that the
City Manager’s budget recommendations, usually distributed by the
Decembermeeting, were not available. Craig hoped to mail the budget with
comments before the January meeting.VanDusseldorp congratulated the
staff for the success of the 2004 Inservice Day and the planning
thatcame out of that morning. He recounted his experiences in an earlier
Inservice Day, and encouraged allTrustees to make an effort to attend
one in the future.

A real sour pickle, ainna, Wolfgang - you're just dying to comment, but
if you do, it comes right out and proves what we all already know - that
you actually read all of THAT, too, but if you don't...well, again, we
all know you read every word...

Hee, hee, hee,
Eleven-and-a-half-eagles...dick

Wolfgang
December 6th, 2005, 04:08 PM
> wrote in message

> ...A real sour pickle, ainna, Wolfgang - you're just dying to comment, but
> if you do, it comes right out and proves what we all already know - that
> you actually read all of THAT, too, but if you don't...well, again, we
> all know you read every word...

Well......gosh.

> Hee, hee, hee,
> Eleven-and-a-half-eagles...dick

Wolfgang

Scott Seidman
December 6th, 2005, 04:13 PM
wrote in news:v2cbp1dv0lpbp4m2gpa8jt6p51gvdrnrg4@
4ax.com:

> It's just some boring transcript I found...yep, of course I added
> something...just for good ol' Wolfgang...

Man, what's a meeting without a rousing "For the Good of the House"
discussion!!
--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

asadi
December 6th, 2005, 04:43 PM
"Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> wrote in news:v2cbp1dv0lpbp4m2gpa8jt6p51gvdrnrg4@
> 4ax.com:
>

>> It's just some boring transcript I found...yep, of course I added
>> something...just for good ol' Wolfgang...
>>

> Man, what's a meeting without a rousing "For the Good of the House"
> discussion!!
> --
> Scott
> Reverse name to reply

I think that is where they were talking about the self check machines, whose
problems were lessening.

john