PDA

View Full Version : Whitefish behavior

Bob
December 6th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Can anyone confirm a whitefish behavior in rivers. I've heard that whitefish
will roll small rocks over using their snounts in an effort to dislodge
nymphs. Some of have said this sometimes the flashes you'll see in a stream
when the whitefish are rolling over rocks.

Jeff Taylor
December 6th, 2005, 09:41 PM
"Bob" > wrote in message
> Can anyone confirm a whitefish behavior in rivers. I've heard that
> whitefish
> will roll small rocks over using their snounts in an effort to dislodge
> nymphs. Some of have said this sometimes the flashes you'll see in a
> stream
> when the whitefish are rolling over rocks.

This sounds reasonable... I have caught whitefish on the surface using dry
flies. They will pod up with rising trout and feed the same as Rainbow,
Cutthroat and Browns on the surface. It's near impossible to tell if you
have a trout or whitefish by the take. I have seen this on Kelly Creek and
the Bitterroot.

JT

Dave LaCourse
December 6th, 2005, 11:05 PM
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 12:20:32 -0800, "Bob" > wrote:

>Can anyone confirm a whitefish behavior in rivers. I've heard that whitefish
>will roll small rocks over using their snounts in an effort to dislodge
>nymphs. Some of have said this sometimes the flashes you'll see in a stream
>when the whitefish are rolling over rocks.

The "flashing" you see is not just native to the whitefish. You will
also see Dolly Vardins and Salmon "flash" when they take a nymph. I
have only seen whitefish and char "flash". Don't know if trout do. I
doubt they are moving stones with their snouts, btw. Nymphs cling to
big rocks, not small ones.

Dave

Wolfgang
December 6th, 2005, 11:29 PM
"Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 12:20:32 -0800, "Bob" > wrote:
>
>>Can anyone confirm a whitefish behavior in rivers. I've heard that
>>whitefish
>>will roll small rocks over using their snounts in an effort to dislodge
>>nymphs. Some of have said this sometimes the flashes you'll see in a
>>stream
>>when the whitefish are rolling over rocks.
>
> The "flashing" you see is not just native to the whitefish. You will
> also see Dolly Vardins and Salmon "flash" when they take a nymph. I
> have only seen whitefish and char "flash". Don't know if trout do. I
> doubt they are moving stones with their snouts, btw. Nymphs cling to
> big rocks, not small ones.

Nymphs crawl over and under and between.....and cling to.....rocks of all
sizes. Trout flash.

Wolfgang

Dave LaCourse
December 7th, 2005, 12:05 AM
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 17:29:29 -0600, "Wolfgang" >
wrote:

>Trout flash.

Of course they do. You say so.

Stewardesses" is the longest word typed with only the left hand and
"lollipop" with your right. (Bet you tried this out mentally, didn't
you?)

It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open. Maine is the only state
whose name is just one syllable. (I'll bet you're going to check this
out.) No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange,
silver, or purple. "Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the
letters "mt". (Are you doubting this?)

Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears
never stop growing.

The sentence: "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every
letter of the alphabet. (Now, you KNOW you're going to try this out
for accuracy, right?)

The words 'racecar,' 'kayak' and 'level' are the same whether they are
read left to right or right to left (palindromes). (Yep, I knew you
were going to "do" this one.)

There are only four words in the English language which end in "dous":
tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous (You're not doubting
this, are you?)

There are two words in the English language that have all five vowels
in order: "abstemious" and "facetious." (Yes, admit it, you are going
to say . a e i o u)

TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only
on one row of the keyboard.

All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the
back of the $5 bill

A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear. A crocodile cannot stick out its
tongue. (but who really cares?)

A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours.

A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds. (Some days that's
about what my memory span is)

A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second. A shark
is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.

A snail can sleep for three years. (I know some people that could do
this too.)

Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.

Almonds are a member o f the peach family.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

Babies are born without kneecaps. They don't appear until the child
reaches 2 to 6 years of age.

Butterflies taste with their feet.

Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds. Dogs only have about 10.

February 1865 is the only month in recorded history not to have a full
moon.

In the last 4,000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.

If you are an average American, in your whole life, you will spend an
average of 6 months waiting at red lights.

Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.

On a Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament
building is an American flag. (The got Lunies and Twonies; didn't
realize they had a $2 bill. Did you?)

Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite!

Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.

The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.

The cruise liner, QE2, moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel
that it burns.

The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube
and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket. (Good thing he did that)

The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely
solid.

There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar. (You *will* check this
one out and get back to us, won't you?)

There are more chickens than people in the world.

There's no Betty Rubble in the Flintstones Chewables Vitamins.

Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.

Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men. Your stomach has to produce a
new layer of mucus every two weeks; otherwise it will digest itself.

*NOW* YOU KNOW EVERYTHING!

Wolfgang
December 7th, 2005, 12:18 AM
"Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 17:29:29 -0600, "Wolfgang" >
> wrote:
>
>>Trout flash.
>
> Of course they do.

Yes.

> You say so.

Correct again. That's twice in a row. A new personal best?

> Stewardesses" is the longest word typed with only the left hand and
> "lollipop" with your right. (Bet you tried this out mentally, didn't
> you?)

You lose. I typed both of them out 40 years ago.

> It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open. Maine is the only state
> whose name is just one syllable. (I'll bet you're going to check this
> out.)

No. Both are common knowledge. And neither is particularly interesting.

> No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange,
> silver, or purple.

Takin' bets? :)

> "Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the
> letters "mt". (Are you doubting this?)
>
> Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears
> never stop growing.

Hm.......

You've gone out and bought yourself a book, haven't you? Well, GOOD for
you. "Tedious Factoids for Complete Idiots" isn't exactly a
classic......yet......but hey, it's a start, ainna?

> The sentence: "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every
> letter of the alphabet.

Ah, but what are such constructions called.....eh, Einstein? And what's the
shortest one in English.....thus far?

(Now, you KNOW you're going to try this out
> for accuracy, right?)

Get real, dolt.

> The words 'racecar,' 'kayak' and 'level' are the same whether they are
> read left to right or right to left (palindromes). (Yep, I knew you
> were going to "do" this one.)

Huh? I thought that was Richard Boone! :(

> [...]

> The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.
>
> The cruise liner, QE2, moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel
> that it burns.
>
> The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube
> and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket. (Good thing he did that)
>
> The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely
> solid.
>
> There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar. (You *will* check this
> one out and get back to us, won't you?)
>
> There are more chickens than people in the world.
>
> There's no Betty Rubble in the Flintstones Chewables Vitamins.
>
> Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
>
> Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.
>
> Women blink nearly twice as much as men. Your stomach has to produce a
> new layer of mucus every two weeks; otherwise it will digest itself.

Nope. But I see that you now know how to cut and paste! Congratulations!
You're progress is every bit as impressive as dicklet's! :)

Oh, and nymphs still crawl all over.....and cling to.....rocks of all sizes.
And trout flash.

Wolfgang
gosh!......ain't learning FUN!

Dave LaCourse
December 7th, 2005, 12:31 AM
To quote a sexual intellect that everyone is familiar with:

"He he he."

Wolfgang
December 7th, 2005, 12:33 AM
"Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message
> To quote a sexual intellect that everyone is familiar with:
>
> "He he he."

Hee, hee, hee.

Wolfgang
who will.....this once.....refrain from further comment. :)

Mu Young Lee
December 7th, 2005, 03:23 AM
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Bob wrote:

> Can anyone confirm a whitefish behavior in rivers. I've heard that whitefish
> will roll small rocks over using their snounts in an effort to dislodge
> nymphs. Some of have said this sometimes the flashes you'll see in a stream
> when the whitefish are rolling over rocks.

I've seen suckers flashing in the stream just like whitefish do.

Mu

FlyCaughtInTree
December 7th, 2005, 03:41 PM
February, 1999, was also a month with no full moon, making January and
March both "Blue Moon" months; i.e., months with two full moons.

--Steve
who just thought you'd like to know.

Wolfgang
December 7th, 2005, 04:22 PM
"FlyCaughtInTree" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> February, 1999, was also a month with no full moon, making January and
> March both "Blue Moon" months; i.e., months with two full moons.
>
> --Steve
> who just thought you'd like to know.

Oh well, if we're going to be sticklers for a germ of truth in facts, then I
might as well point out that there WAS in fact a full moon at 16:27 UTC on
the 10th of February in 1865.

There was no full moon in February in 1866, 1885, 1915, 1934, or 1961, as
well as 1999 as you pointed out above. In 1972 a full moon occurred at 3:12
UTC on February 29th.*

Wolfgang
*all data presented here, courtesy of the United States Naval Observatory**:

http://mach.usno.navy.mil/

**presumably, no chief petty officers were involved in the preparation of
the data available at this site.

FlyCaughtInTree
December 7th, 2005, 05:16 PM
>**presumably, no chief petty officers were involved in the preparation of
>the data available at this site.

....but maybe a few snippy seamen....

--Steve
who thanks Wolfgang for the elaboration ( I was sure that there were
more, but I was pressed for time and I had actually lived through this
one, as well as the one in 1961, although I was unaware at the time)

Wolfgang
December 7th, 2005, 05:23 PM
"FlyCaughtInTree" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> >**presumably, no chief petty officers were involved in the preparation of
>>the data available at this site.
>
> ...but maybe a few snippy seamen....
>
> --Steve
> who thanks Wolfgang for the elaboration ( I was sure that there were
> more, but I was pressed for time and I had actually lived through this
> one, as well as the one in 1961,

Presumably, given the number in the last century and a half or so, there
have been many others. I haven't found a source that lists them......and
I'm not really inclined to try.

> although I was unaware at the time)

'61 was o.k. for me. It's pretty much the late 60s through the mid 70s that
I was unaware. :(

Wolfgang
who supposes he must have had a pretty good time, though. :)