PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Metolius River TR

JR
December 7th, 2005, 03:35 AM
I like reports with text and photos together, and have been trying to
figure out how to do it without a web site of my own. This is what I
came up with:

http://tinyurl.com/chvoy

Click the photos to see larger versions.

JR

Bob Patton
December 7th, 2005, 05:26 AM
"JR" > wrote in message
>I like reports with text and photos together, and have been trying to
> figure out how to do it without a web site of my own. This is what I
> came up with:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/chvoy
>
> Click the photos to see larger versions.
>
> JR

I've looked for a decent way to post text and pictures and haven't taken the
time to learn to use Frontpage properly - it'll come about the same time I
can explain the general theory of relativity, I suppose.

This is neat. Thanks for posting. Time to get out for some winter fishing.

--
Bob Patton
(change bgzqsdq to charter to reply)

William Claspy
December 7th, 2005, 03:16 PM
On 12/6/05 10:35 PM, in article , "JR"
> wrote:

> I like reports with text and photos together, and have been trying to
> figure out how to do it without a web site of my own. This is what I
> came up with:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/chvoy
>
> Click the photos to see larger versions.

I think this is an actual GOOD use of the blog application. And a fine
report.

It was about 6 degrees here this morning, and near future temps are supposed
to be 20 degrees below normal. I fear you won't be seeing any fishing trip
reports from this quarter for at least a couple of months!

Bill

Tim J.
December 7th, 2005, 04:18 PM
JR typed:
> I like reports with text and photos together, and have been trying to
> figure out how to do it without a web site of my own. This is what I
> came up with:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/chvoy

Very nice, but too cold for me.
"JR possesses excellent problem solving abilities."
--
TL,
Tim

Larry L
December 7th, 2005, 05:43 PM
"JR" > wrote

.. This is what I
> came up with:

were fish rising to the midges? or otherwise seen ( ah, flashing ;-) taking
them?

I've seen places/times when midges were hatching heavily but the fish
weren't interested, simply not enough food value to bother with, I guess

But, fish seen feeding but that 'can't be caught' are a passion with me ...
where's my long johns?

JR
December 7th, 2005, 06:26 PM
William Claspy wrote:

> It was about 6 degrees here this morning, and near future temps are supposed
> to be 20 degrees below normal. I fear you won't be seeing any fishing trip
> reports from this quarter for at least a couple of months!

Sorry to hear that.

Even mid to high 30s is too cold for sane people to be standing in
rivers <g>, but at least you're not cleaning ice out of your guides
every five minutes. Single digit temps? Uh uh.

JR
December 7th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Larry L wrote:

> were fish rising to the midges? or otherwise seen ( ah, flashing ;-) taking
> them?

Nope. (Which may help explain my lack of "luck")..... <g>

> I've seen places/times when midges were hatching heavily but the fish
> weren't interested, simply not enough food value to bother with, I guess

I've always assumed that in the Met the trout may feed on midge larvae
and pupae that happen to drift right into their feeding stations but
won't move much to take them. That's why while waiting for the BWO
hatch--which in winter is almost always preceeded by this midge hatch--I
will fish a midge pupae or emerger as a dropper under a BWO dry. As I
said, though, it's only produced one fish over the years. Lately, I've
taken to swinging streamers while waiting for the BWO hatch. These have
taken a half dozen fish the past few outings.

William Claspy
December 7th, 2005, 07:12 PM
On 12/7/05 1:26 PM, in article , "JR"
> wrote:

> William Claspy wrote:
>
>> It was about 6 degrees here this morning, and near future temps are supposed
>> to be 20 degrees below normal. I fear you won't be seeing any fishing trip
>> reports from this quarter for at least a couple of months!
>
> Sorry to hear that.
>
> Even mid to high 30s is too cold for sane people to be standing in
> rivers <g>, but at least you're not cleaning ice out of your guides
> every five minutes. Single digit temps? Uh uh.

Having lived my entire life in this climate, I'm not necessarily sorry to
see the departure of the fishing season as the water solidifies. Quite
simply, it is time to move on to other things- tying flies, cross country
skiing, projects in the woodshop. Writing up long overdue bibliographies.
Maybe take on building that 'boo rod? Granted, a fair amount of armchair
time in front of the fireplace will be spent spinning the webs of future
fishing trips and reveling in the memories of those in the past.

Ask me again in February, though, and I'll likely have a very different
answer... in the mean time, keep posting those reports!

Bill

Larry L
December 7th, 2005, 07:24 PM
"JR" > wrote

Lately, I've
> taken to swinging streamers while waiting for the BWO hatch. These have
> taken a half dozen fish the past few outings.

" If I can catch trout on dry flies, I will try dries until I fail. My
second choice is to sight fish with nymphs. If that also fails, my next
choice is a streamer. I would rather fish a streamer, however, than blind
fish a weighted nymph. I would just as soon watch snow melt as blind fish a
weighted nymph. " - Mike Lawson -

I've had the pleasure of some long chats with Mike, as well as reading some
of his books, and find that we nearly always have a very similar
'philosophy' on things fishing ... probably because we enjoy the same types
of water ... fishing the streamers will keep ya warmer too <G>

William Claspy
December 7th, 2005, 07:33 PM
On 12/7/05 2:24 PM, in article
, "Larry L"
> wrote:

> "JR" > wrote
>
> Lately, I've
>> taken to swinging streamers while waiting for the BWO hatch. These have
>> taken a half dozen fish the past few outings.
>>

> " If I can catch trout on dry flies, I will try dries until I fail. My
> second choice is to sight fish with nymphs. If that also fails, my next
> choice is a streamer. I would rather fish a streamer, however, than blind
> fish a weighted nymph. I would just as soon watch snow melt as blind fish a
> weighted nymph. " - Mike Lawson -
>

> I've had the pleasure of some long chats with Mike, as well as reading some
> of his books, and find that we nearly always have a very similar
> 'philosophy' on things fishing ... probably because we enjoy the same types
> of water ... fishing the streamers will keep ya warmer too <G>

There is a nice interview with Mike on the Fly Fish Radio podcast site,
http://www.flyfishradio.com.

Bill

Larry L
December 7th, 2005, 08:03 PM
"William Claspy" > wrote

> There is a nice interview with Mike on the Fly Fish Radio podcast site,
> http://www.flyfishradio.com.

thanks, but I live in the last house on a dead end country road where modern
civilization is still a few miles away. I am, therefore, still on a VERY
slow dial up .... cool videos and mp.3s are out of the question at about
8min/MB for download ...

William Claspy
December 7th, 2005, 08:26 PM
On 12/7/05 3:03 PM, in article
, "Larry L"
> wrote:

> "William Claspy" > wrote
>

>> There is a nice interview with Mike on the Fly Fish Radio podcast site,
>> http://www.flyfishradio.com.
>>

> thanks, but I live in the last house on a dead end country road where modern
> civilization is still a few miles away. I am, therefore, still on a VERY
> slow dial up .... cool videos and mp.3s are out of the question at about
> 8min/MB for download ...

Ah! Forgot about that Larry. You'll have also missed that video on the
Black Canyon of the Gunnison that Mike posted earlier this week.

Hmm... Maybe someone could arrange to put some of this stuff on a CD for you
and send you out a little Christmas present... :-)

Bill

Wayne Knight
December 8th, 2005, 02:35 AM
"William Claspy" > wrote in message

> Ask me again in February, though, and I'll likely have a very different
> answer... in the mean time, keep posting those reports!

Come on Bill, that's steelhead weather.