PDA

View Full Version : DIY fly fishing in Costa Rica

softkor61
December 7th, 2005, 07:35 PM
My husband and I are traveling to Costa Rica in April. We are looking
to see if there are any alternatives to hiring a guide to fly fish, but
I am having a hard time finding any info on DIY fly fishing. Are there
any places be it shoreline or riverbanks where where we can just
walk/wade in without having to hire an expensive guide and boat?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

bruiser
December 7th, 2005, 09:01 PM
This is pretty vague, but here goes:

If you're in the Quepos area, head out of town like you're going to
Manuel Antonio. Just as you leave town you'll start heading up a steep
hill and you'll pass a hotel called the Mono Azul (Blue Monkey). Take
the next right, right past the hotel. About three houses down there's
a sign on the left that says "Rio Savegre Sportfishing". They'll take
you to the the mouth of the Rio Savegre and drop you off - their boat
is not suitable for flyfishing. Ana and Gallo - they are super nice.
It'll cost you about $80 and it's worth it just for the trip to this
somewhat remote river mouth. It helps to speak a little Spanish.
Gallo and Ana will fish the entire time with spinning rods and they'd
appreciate any larger spinning lures you can bring them.
Bring a 9 or 10 weight and a fast sinking line so you can fish deeper
without trying to cast a super heavy fly. The fish were chasing a
bunch of little jacks around when I was there but it was a different
time of year. Might as well tie some 4-6" light colored baitfish
imitations anyway. Awesome place. bruce h

G&G
December 7th, 2005, 10:41 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of places to DIY fly fish, but how are you going
to find the good spots? Also, there are dangerous snakes and crocs in CR.
Be careful. Wisest thing to do is hire an experienced TICO.
Pura Vida,
"softkor61" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My husband and I are traveling to Costa Rica in April. We are looking
> to see if there are any alternatives to hiring a guide to fly fish, but
> I am having a hard time finding any info on DIY fly fishing. Are there
> any places be it shoreline or riverbanks where where we can just
> walk/wade in without having to hire an expensive guide and boat?
>
> Any info would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

asadi
December 8th, 2005, 04:29 AM
"softkor61" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My husband and I are traveling to Costa Rica in April. We are looking
> to see if there are any alternatives to hiring a guide to fly fish, but
> I am having a hard time finding any info on DIY fly fishing. Are there
> any places be it shoreline or riverbanks where where we can just
> walk/wade in without having to hire an expensive guide and boat?
>
> Any info would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

wolf,

help me before I sin again...

hardkor69

Wolfgang
December 8th, 2005, 10:59 AM
"asadi" > wrote in message
. com...

> wolf,
>
> help me before I sin again...
>
> hardkor69

Go out back to the fish shanty. Chain your leg to the bed. Read something
by Ann Coulter. Stare at the Maggie Thatcher poster. Call me in the
morning.

Wolfgang
o.k., this looks like a bad one. i got the net.....who's got the
straps?.....and the syringe? :(

Conan The Librarian
December 8th, 2005, 02:50 PM
bruiser wrote:

> This is pretty vague, but here goes:
>
> If you're in the Quepos area, head out of town like you're going to
> Manuel Antonio. Just as you leave town you'll start heading up a steep
> hill and you'll pass a hotel called the Mono Azul (Blue Monkey). Take
> the next right, right past the hotel. About three houses down there's
> a sign on the left that says "Rio Savegre Sportfishing". They'll take
> you to the the mouth of the Rio Savegre and drop you off - their boat
> is not suitable for flyfishing. Ana and Gallo - they are super nice.
> It'll cost you about $80 and it's worth it just for the trip to this
> somewhat remote river mouth. It helps to speak a little Spanish.
> Gallo and Ana will fish the entire time with spinning rods and they'd
> appreciate any larger spinning lures you can bring them.
> Bring a 9 or 10 weight and a fast sinking line so you can fish deeper
> without trying to cast a super heavy fly. The fish were chasing a
> bunch of little jacks around when I was there but it was a different
> time of year. Might as well tie some 4-6" light colored baitfish
> imitations anyway. Awesome place. bruce h

Jeez, if that's "vague", I'd love to see what you consider
"specific". :-)

Chuck Vance (almost makes me want to take a trip there)

Technobarbarian
December 8th, 2005, 03:22 PM
"Conan The Librarian" > wrote in message
> bruiser wrote:
>
>> This is pretty vague, but here goes:
>>
>> If you're in the Quepos area, head out of town like you're going to
>> Manuel Antonio. Just as you leave town you'll start heading up a steep
>> hill and you'll pass a hotel called the Mono Azul (Blue Monkey). Take
>> the next right, right past the hotel. About three houses down there's
>> a sign on the left that says "Rio Savegre Sportfishing". They'll take
>> you to the the mouth of the Rio Savegre and drop you off - their boat
>> is not suitable for flyfishing. Ana and Gallo - they are super nice.
>> It'll cost you about $80 and it's worth it just for the trip to this
>> somewhat remote river mouth. It helps to speak a little Spanish.
>> Gallo and Ana will fish the entire time with spinning rods and they'd
>> appreciate any larger spinning lures you can bring them.
>> Bring a 9 or 10 weight and a fast sinking line so you can fish deeper
>> without trying to cast a super heavy fly. The fish were chasing a
>> bunch of little jacks around when I was there but it was a different
>> time of year. Might as well tie some 4-6" light colored baitfish
>> imitations anyway. Awesome place. bruce h
>
> Jeez, if that's "vague", I'd love to see what you consider "specific".
> :-)

That's easy. We're talking about fly fishermen. Any time they don't
specify _exactly_ which fly to use or which pattern to tie the information
is considered vague.

TB

Conan The Librarian
December 8th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Technobarbarian wrote:

> "Conan The Librarian" > wrote in message
>
>> Jeez, if that's "vague", I'd love to see what you consider "specific".
>>:-)
>
> That's easy. We're talking about fly fishermen. Any time they don't
> specify _exactly_ which fly to use or which pattern to tie the information
> is considered vague.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :-)

Chuck Vance

Technobarbarian
December 8th, 2005, 04:58 PM
"Conan The Librarian" > wrote in message
> Technobarbarian wrote:
>
>> "Conan The Librarian" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Jeez, if that's "vague", I'd love to see what you consider "specific".
>>> :-)
>>
>> That's easy. We're talking about fly fishermen. Any time they don't
>> specify _exactly_ which fly to use or which pattern to tie the
>> information is considered vague.
>
> You say that like it's a bad thing. :-)

LOL, not at all, and I've spent enough time throwing around little bits
of feathers to appreciate this facet of the culture; although I sometimes
suspect that a fly fisherman would consider a pie recipe vague unless it
included specific information on fly tying.

Hopefully someone has more, equally vague, information for the OP--even
though this has traditionally been the sort of information that one only
gave to fishing buddies after swearing them to secrecy with a blood oath.
Getting on the ground and asking around will probably result in all sorts of
information--some of it probably even useful. Wearing signs of membership in
the fraternity, such as a properly adorned hat or vest, or carrying a fly
rod in a fraternity sanctioned case could result in members of the
illuminati stepping forward at their destination with the desired
information.

TB

bruiser
December 8th, 2005, 05:05 PM
You should ask me about the San Juan sometime... : -) bruce h

Charlie Choc
December 8th, 2005, 05:23 PM
On 8 Dec 2005 09:05:14 -0800, "bruiser" > wrote:

>You should ask me about the San Juan sometime... : -) bruce h

Make sure you allow plenty of time. I got the condensed version during the drive
from Cabin Creek to the Yellowstone and it was still a ton of information, who
knows how long the unabridged would take. <g>
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

bruiser
December 8th, 2005, 05:30 PM
CC, You know that I'll dang near lose my voice with a captive audience
(g). Especially when I've got to shout over the roar of the Defender!

bruce h

I think I've ridden in the Defender in Wyoming, Montana, and Florida
btw.

William Claspy
December 8th, 2005, 05:35 PM
On 12/8/05 12:30 PM, in article
. com, "bruiser"
> wrote:

> CC, You know that I'll dang near lose my voice with a captive audience
> (g). Especially when I've got to shout over the roar of the Defender!

When I rode in it, I just let Charlie do the talking and (on the way home)
took a little nap. :-)

Bill

William Claspy
December 8th, 2005, 05:39 PM
On 12/8/05 12:05 PM, in article
. com, "bruiser"
> wrote:

> You should ask me about the San Juan sometime... : -) bruce h

Bruce, do you (or Charlie Wilson or Willi or...) ever fish the Gunnison?
That movie that Mike posted a link to earlier this week has me salivating.
Looks like quite a place to fish. Just wondering if any of you have been
out that way.

Bill (already armchair traveling and it is only early December)

Charlie Choc
December 8th, 2005, 05:59 PM
On 8 Dec 2005 09:30:03 -0800, "bruiser" > wrote:

>CC, You know that I'll dang near lose my voice with a captive audience
>(g). Especially when I've got to shout over the roar of the Defender!
>
>bruce h
>
>I think I've ridden in the Defender in Wyoming, Montana, and Florida
>btw.

Almost NM and CO too. Next time I won't wimp out. How does the SJ fish in mid
May? I'll be back in Taos for the last 2 weeks in May and then on to Utah for
another couple, but I may try and get to NM early for some FF - before instead
of after this time. <g>
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

Charlie Choc
December 8th, 2005, 06:01 PM
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 12:35:57 -0500, William Claspy > wrote:

>On 12/8/05 12:30 PM, in article
. com, "bruiser"
> wrote:
>
>> CC, You know that I'll dang near lose my voice with a captive audience
>> (g). Especially when I've got to shout over the roar of the Defender!
>
>When I rode in it, I just let Charlie do the talking and (on the way home)
>took a little nap. :-)

Aw, it's a nice quiet ride - it was the boredom that put you to sleep. <g> BTW,
that stream we visited is fishing real well these days, wish it could have been
better weather when you were here.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

bruiser
December 8th, 2005, 06:06 PM
The cool thing about Mid May is that the river might be going 5000cfs
and there's hardly anyone around then. Wading is tough or impossible.

It's a great time to float! C'mon down.

bruce h

Conan The Librarian
December 8th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Technobarbarian wrote:

> "Conan The Librarian" > wrote in message
>
>> You say that like it's a bad thing. :-)
>
> LOL, not at all, and I've spent enough time throwing around little bits
> of feathers to appreciate this facet of the culture; although I sometimes
> suspect that a fly fisherman would consider a pie recipe vague unless it
> included specific information on fly tying.
>
> Hopefully someone has more, equally vague, information for the OP--even
> though this has traditionally been the sort of information that one only
> gave to fishing buddies after swearing them to secrecy with a blood oath.
> Getting on the ground and asking around will probably result in all sorts of
> information--some of it probably even useful. Wearing signs of membership in
> the fraternity, such as a properly adorned hat or vest, or carrying a fly
> rod in a fraternity sanctioned case could result in members of the
> illuminati stepping forward at their destination with the desired
> information.

Gee, I've never thought of us flyfishers as Illuminati. I like
that. :-)

Chuck Vance (though I imagine Weishaupt is rolling over in his grave)

Conan The Librarian
December 8th, 2005, 06:09 PM
bruiser wrote:

> You should ask me about the San Juan sometime... : -) bruce h

I hope to get the chance to do that in person one day. :-)

Chuck Vance (or if Charlie is to be believed, maybe *two* or
*three* days :-)

Scott Seidman
December 8th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Conan The Librarian > wrote in
:

> Gee, <fnord> I've never thought <fnord> of us flyfishers as
> Illuminati. <fnord> I like <fnord> that. :-)
>

> Chuck <fnord>Vance (though I imagine Weishaupt <fnord> is rolling
> over in his <fnord> grave)

Wow. I've <fnord> heard of <fnord> this.

--
Scott
Reverse <fnord> name to reply

William Claspy
December 8th, 2005, 06:19 PM
On 12/8/05 1:01 PM, in article ,
"Charlie Choc" > wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 12:35:57 -0500, William Claspy > wrote:
>
>> On 12/8/05 12:30 PM, in article
>> . com, "bruiser"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> CC, You know that I'll dang near lose my voice with a captive audience
>>> (g). Especially when I've got to shout over the roar of the Defender!
>>
>> When I rode in it, I just let Charlie do the talking and (on the way home)
>> took a little nap. :-)
>>
> Aw, it's a nice quiet ride - it was the boredom that put you to sleep. <g>
> BTW,
> that stream we visited is fishing real well these days, wish it could have
> been
> better weather when you were here.

Makes no mind, you got a few good pictures out of that trip. :-)

Bill (where we'll be skating on the pond this weekend.)

December 8th, 2005, 06:31 PM
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 12:39:08 -0500, William Claspy >
wrote:

>On 12/8/05 12:05 PM, in article
. com, "bruiser"
> wrote:
>
>> You should ask me about the San Juan sometime... : -) bruce h
>
>Bruce, do you (or Charlie Wilson or Willi or...) ever fish the Gunnison?
>That movie that Mike posted a link to earlier this week has me salivating.
>Looks like quite a place to fish. Just wondering if any of you have been
>out that way.
>
>Bill (already armchair traveling and it is only early December)

<posted only to ROFF>

I do, and while the overall area is great, the Gunnison itself can be,
well, a pain, what with tourists, kayakers, traffic, etc. If you go,
try to get up into the passes/valleys/little streams in the area. I
didn't see the movie, but if this has something to do with Taylor Park
and the big trout at the spillway, that's among the least of a reason to
go to an area well worth visiting. Every time I've driven by or stopped
to watch, it's a bunch of tourists standing within sight of their cars,
the park road, and huge trout who aren't the least bit interested in
them or their offerings.

TC,

Charlie Choc
December 8th, 2005, 06:42 PM
On 8 Dec 2005 10:06:41 -0800, "bruiser" > wrote:

>The cool thing about Mid May is that the river might be going 5000cfs
>and there's hardly anyone around then. Wading is tough or impossible.
>
>It's a great time to float! C'mon down.

I'll let you know when I get my schedule figured out and maybe I just will. <g>
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

William Claspy
December 8th, 2005, 06:43 PM
On 12/8/05 1:31 PM, in article ,
" > wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 12:39:08 -0500, William Claspy >
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/8/05 12:05 PM, in article
>> . com, "bruiser"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> You should ask me about the San Juan sometime... : -) bruce h
>>
>> Bruce, do you (or Charlie Wilson or Willi or...) ever fish the Gunnison?
>> That movie that Mike posted a link to earlier this week has me salivating.
>> Looks like quite a place to fish. Just wondering if any of you have been
>> out that way.
>>
>> Bill (already armchair traveling and it is only early December)
>
> <posted only to ROFF>

Didn't catch the cross posting on that one, sorry!

> I do, and while the overall area is great, the Gunnison itself can be,
> well, a pain, what with tourists, kayakers, traffic, etc. If you go,
> try to get up into the passes/valleys/little streams in the area. I
> didn't see the movie, but if this has something to do with Taylor Park
> and the big trout at the spillway, that's among the least of a reason to
> go to an area well worth visiting. Every time I've driven by or stopped
> to watch, it's a bunch of tourists standing within sight of their cars,
> the park road, and huge trout who aren't the least bit interested in
> them or their offerings.

The movie (http://www.feltsoulmedia.com/download.html) features the Black
Canyon portion, which is apparently quite difficult to access on foot (it's
a canyon, after all!) and has one HECK of a salmon fly hatch in June.

Bill

Charlie Choc
December 8th, 2005, 06:57 PM
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 13:19:46 -0500, William Claspy > wrote:

>Makes no mind, you got a few good pictures out of that trip. :-)

Yeah, it was an enjoyable trip overall.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

Kevin Vang
December 8th, 2005, 07:41 PM
In article >, says...
> bruiser wrote:
>
> > You should ask me about the San Juan sometime... : -) bruce h
>
> I hope to get the chance to do that in person one day. :-)
>

> Chuck Vance (or if Charlie is to be believed, maybe *two* or
> *three* days :-)

Bruiser was still rolling after 4 days with me...

Kevin

Danl
December 8th, 2005, 08:54 PM
"Kevin Vang" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >, says...
>> bruiser wrote:
>>
>> > You should ask me about the San Juan sometime... : -) bruce h
>>
>> I hope to get the chance to do that in person one day. :-)
>>

>> Chuck Vance (or if Charlie is to be believed, maybe *two* or
>> *three* days :-)
>

> Bruiser was still rolling after 4 days with me...
>
> Kevin

Hah! It's been 5+ years for me and its still (hopefully!!!) rolling along. I
hope to attend another of Bruiser's seminars in January.

Danl