PDA

View Full Version : thousands of fly fishermen to be locked out of Rock Creek, Montana

Jimbo
December 9th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Yes, *the* Rock Creek, world famous. Apparently some people in
congress sliped in a hidden bill that will sell off millions of acres
of national forests. Rock creek is on the list.

http://www.enn.com/today.html?id=9409

"Outrage over the bill has risen to fever pitch in Montana, where U.S.
Sen. Max Baucus, a Democrat, is leading the call to squelch the mining
measure. "It's an abominable idea," he said in an interview Tuesday.
"Our public lands are for the public."

Backers of the measure say it would authorize at most 360,000 acres for
sale, funneling roughly $158 million into depleted federal coffers.
Opponents say wording in the bill opens for sale millions of acres
across the West, including some of the West's most prized landscapes.

A case in point in western Montana is Rock Creek, a blue-ribbon trout
stream that draws tens of thousands each year to recreate in an area
made famous for its abundance of cutthroat, elk, bighorn sheep and
mountain goats.

The recreation site also is home to more than 3,700 mining claims, all
of which could be sold, if the measure becomes law.

Walter Lore, who lives near Rock Creek and has been fishing and hunting
there for years, said closing access to any part of the area would make
Montanans "big-time upset. We might have a civil war."

chester
December 9th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Yes this is true, it is a bill as a rider and if you check out the
Wilderness Society's web page you can get more information about the
bill. I live in Montana and this will cause a uproar if this happens.
It all has been going pretty quietly. Max is working hard to get it
changed.

Laurie Heupel

Larry L
December 9th, 2005, 04:29 PM
"Jimbo" > wrote

> Yes, *the* Rock Creek, world famous. Apparently some people in
> congress sliped in a hidden bill that will sell off millions of acres
> of national forests. Rock creek is on the list.

contact your senators .... I've done so...twice each

Larry L
December 9th, 2005, 05:36 PM
"Jimbo" > wrote

> Yes, *the* Rock Creek, world famous. Apparently some people in
> congress sliped in a hidden bill that will sell off millions of acres
> of national forests. Rock creek is on the list.
>
> http://www.enn.com/today.html?id=9409
>
> "Outrage over the bill has risen to fever pitch in Montana, where U.S.
> Sen. Max Baucus, a Democrat, is leading the call to squelch the mining
> measure. "It's an abominable idea," he said in an interview Tuesday.
> "Our public lands are for the public."

Be sure to contact any Republicans that represent your area and protest
Pombo's mining addition to the budget. It's fine to have Baucus and other
Democrats fighting them but, truth be told, the Republicans are simply
caught up in a tremendous abuse of power at the moment and NEED to be
reminded that not only corporate CEOs vote

This nasty legislation stands a good chance of sneaking through simply
because it's tacked onto the budget and that budget subsidizing the rich is
a big part of the Republican agenda. It would be a simple matter to remove
this 'mining language' rider and still pass the budget the Republicans
promise to further pamper the wealthy, they just need to see the possibility
and not get caught up in a fever to 'get the budget passed' without really
considering all of it.

Scott Seidman
December 9th, 2005, 05:50 PM
"Larry L" > wrote in news:Zgjmf.138209
:

> Be sure to contact any Republicans that represent your area and protest
> Pombo's mining addition to the budget.

I'll start painting the pentogram on the floor right away.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply