PDA

View Full Version : What does "Fast Taper" mean?

Dre
December 30th, 2003, 11:35 PM
I just got a new Shimano Clarus rod and it says "Fast Taper" on it. What
does this mean and what advantage does it give me?

Thanks,

Dre

RGarri7470
December 31st, 2003, 01:00 AM
Taper refers to the way the rod bends - a fast taper rod will bend near the tip
but has a lot of backbone for setting the hook hard and powering fish out of
cover. Good for bass worm rods among other things.

A slow taper will bend all the length of the rod and will help you fight soft
mouth fish without tearing the hook out, and will absorbe some of the shock of
a hard fighting fish. Noodle rods and crappie poles are usually slow taper.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com