PDA

View Full Version : Bait Pumps, are they worth the effort?

Michael Musgrave
December 12th, 2005, 11:08 PM
I am thinking on buying a bait pump, as I want to try and get my own worms.
There are less and less bait diggers out there as they tend to get more
money digging holes on building sites. What is best - large or small bore.
Any suggestions on how to use it would be great. Or will I be wasting my
money and effort?

Bill
December 13th, 2005, 11:05 AM
"Michael Musgrave" > wrote in
message ...
>I am thinking on buying a bait pump, as I want to try and get my own worms.
>There are less and less bait diggers out there as they tend to get more
>money digging holes on building sites. What is best - large or small bore.
>Any suggestions on how to use it would be great. Or will I be wasting my
>money and effort?

Very rarely see professional bait diggers using pumps, ought this say
something.........?

Ian D
December 13th, 2005, 03:24 PM
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:05:33 -0000, "Bill" >
wrote:

>"Michael Musgrave" > wrote in
>message ...
>>I am thinking on buying a bait pump, as I want to try and get my own worms.
>>There are less and less bait diggers out there as they tend to get more
>>money digging holes on building sites. What is best - large or small bore.
>>Any suggestions on how to use it would be great. Or will I be wasting my
>>money and effort?
>>
>Very rarely see professional bait diggers using pumps, ought this say
>something.........?

Depends what they're digging for.
If blow lug or rag then a spade/fork is by far the best, the type of
fork depending on the terrain.
For black lug I think I only know one professional who doesn't use
one.

Many advantages including:
ease of use (once the techniques been mastered)
ability to gather lug in wet sand (virtually impossible with a spade)
more environmentally friendly than a spade/fork.- This aspect is being
pushed more and more by environmental groups, and I wouldn't be in the
least surprised if it was to become the only allowed method in certain
areas.

As to type then most of the diggers I know go for a slim diameter
pump. They're a bit harder to master, but much less back breaking than
the standard Alvey.
One digger I know uses a purpose built pump that's not much over an
inch diameter. Last time I saw him he'd just pumped over a hundred
worms on a medium tide and hadn't even broken sweat.
That level of expertise doesn't come without effort though.

Cheers
Ian D

Abu Garcia
December 18th, 2005, 11:34 PM
As for me I have much more success with an Alvey large bore. Yes it is
harder work but not as hard as shifting with a spade.

One thing I find with bait pumps is they work better on the incomining tide
and also in wet patches of sand. Worms are often very near to surface as
tide pushes over sand bar. But you must know your local conditions for
safety.

Also dont waste time going after a worm if it dont show after a couple of
pumps move on at least with the large bore. Still trying to master the small
bore I seen a fella once throw one into the into the sea.

Is is more enviromentally friendly I mean I cut a lot of worms and use
washing up liquid whilst on beech to help lubricate. I have seen articles
about this and it breaks down the marine environment.

Anyway thats my two penneth.

Oh yes they are worth the effort on most occassions I can get enough bait
for me and a mate.