PDA

View Full Version : Stay of execution

daytripper
December 14th, 2005, 05:00 AM
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2005/12/13/republicans_drop_mining_provision_in_bill/

BJ Conner
December 14th, 2005, 06:11 AM
daytripper wrote:
> http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2005/12/13/republicans_drop_mining_provision_in_bill/

If they steal everything this year they wouldn't have anything left to
do in the next three years.

Conan The Librarian
December 14th, 2005, 01:10 PM
daytripper wrote:

> http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2005/12/13/republicans_drop_mining_provision_in_bill/

Good news, but there's still one ominous passage in that article:

"A spokesman for House Resources Committee Chairman Richard Pombo said
he would work with Gibbons to modernize mining law next year."

"Modernize mining law", eh? I wonder what that means?

Chuck Vance

Larry L
December 14th, 2005, 02:00 PM
"Conan The Librarian" > wrote

> Good news, but there's still one ominous passage in that article:
>
> "A spokesman for House Resources Committee Chairman Richard Pombo said he
> would work with Gibbons to modernize mining law next year."
>
> "Modernize mining law", eh? I wonder what that means?
>

> Chuck Vance

the article also contains this passage

"Critics -- including hunters, anglers and several Democratic Western
governors -- said the legislation could prompt the sale of millions of acres
of public lands. "

notice the grouping .... hunters, anglers and DEMOCRATS .... I hope to hell
that 'Sportsmen for Bush and Other Thieves" will someday SOON wake up to the
fact that sportsmen have more at stake when we vote than keeping an AK47

Pombo is not the Rep for my district, but, rest assured that I will do
everything I possibly can to help keep him from being re-elected. The Rep
for my district, another Republican, did vote for the House version of the
budget that included Pombo's "modernizing" and also voted for Pombo's
gutting of the Endangered Species Act. He too has become a target of my
wrath. I haven't been politically active, beyond casting my votes, since
the early 70s but I will be now ... the public is under attack .... and the
attackers are public enemies that must be stopped.

Mr Pombo, and cronies, I care what all the kids of the future receive in
their legacy as Americans, not just the kids of the very wealthiest
families, and I VOTE

Tim J.
December 14th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Larry L typed:
> "Conan The Librarian" > wrote
>>
>> Good news, but there's still one ominous passage in that article:
>>
>> "A spokesman for House Resources Committee Chairman Richard Pombo
>> said he would work with Gibbons to modernize mining law next year."
>>
>> "Modernize mining law", eh? I wonder what that means?
>>

>> Chuck Vance
>
> the article also contains this passage
>
> "Critics -- including hunters, anglers and several Democratic Western
> governors -- said the legislation could prompt the sale of millions
> of acres of public lands. "
>
> notice the grouping .... hunters, anglers and DEMOCRATS .... I hope
> to hell that 'Sportsmen for Bush and Other Thieves" will someday SOON
> wake up to the fact that sportsmen have more at stake when we vote
> than keeping an AK47

You missed this part: "Wyoming Sen. Craig Thomas, one of the **Republicans**
opposed to the language, said Tuesday that "the mining provision never
belonged in the budget reconciliation package." Considered on its own merit,
the mining portion of the bill would have never seen this much light.

Not all Republicans are the evil, land-hoarding, pillaging mass you think
they are. I mean, we're obviously evil, but the horns have auto-retracting
mechanisms that allow us to walk among the angels (Democrats) without too
much notice, and many of us have opposed this portion of the proposed
legislation from the time it was made known.
--
TL,
Tim

Daniel-San
December 14th, 2005, 02:31 PM
"Tim J." wrote...

<<snip>>

> Not all Republicans are the evil, land-hoarding, pillaging mass you think
> they are. --
> TL,
> Tim

Very true. And not all Democrats are 'surrender monkeys', either. And as
soon as the talking heads/mouths/asses on BOTH sides of the political
'aisle' realize this (instead of just throwing labels around) maybe
something wothwhile will get done.

Dan
....who ain't holding his breath...

Scott Seidman
December 14th, 2005, 02:34 PM
"Tim J." > wrote in
:

> Not all Republicans are the evil, land-hoarding, pillaging mass you
> think they are.

Just those actually IN the White House.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Larry L
December 14th, 2005, 03:06 PM
"Tim J." > wrote

> You missed this part: "Wyoming Sen. Craig Thomas, one of the
> **Republicans** opposed to the language, said Tuesday that "the mining
> provision never belonged in the budget reconciliation package." Considered
> on its own merit, the mining portion of the bill would have never seen
> this much light.
>
> Not all Republicans are the evil, land-hoarding, pillaging mass you think
> they are. I mean, we're obviously evil, but the horns have auto-retracting
> mechanisms that allow us to walk among the angels (Democrats) without too
> much notice, and many of us have opposed this portion of the proposed
> legislation from the time it was made known.
> --

Tim, you are absolutely right

Fwiw, I HAVE voted for some Republicans over my years of voting.

My point, and I admit it was very poorly made, was that we have to VOTE for
people that really represent us and what is best for the long term and our
great grandkids. If Pombo was a Democrat, I'd work just as hard to get rid
of him, and hate him just as much. It is significant that I was up this
morning before 5AM, even though retired, because I couldn't sleep. Why?
Because I was tossing and turning trying to decide who to call, what to do
today, to try and get Pombo's 'mining language' stopped ... it's that
important to me, and that may be why my reaction to seeing the good news
here was over done.

I firmly believe that the ( or certainly one of the ) greatest things we
could do for future generations is to forget our b.s. differences and work
together to help provide them with clean air, clean water, and special
places to visit and cleanse their souls. A stupid law passed by one side
or the other can be reversed, but a special place, or a species, once gone
.... is gone.

I deserve your sarcastic rebuttal, but certainly you must admit that this
particular Republican is as much a public enemy as public servant,
especially if we allow ourselves to think past the near future and profits
for the few.

Please accept my apology ( no I'm not afraid to apologize on roff ), Tim,
and all Republicans that I made feel lumped together with one particularly
bad and smelly egg.

Tim J.
December 14th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Larry L typed:
<snip>
> Please accept my apology ( no I'm not afraid to apologize on roff )

It's not a matter of being afraid. It's just bad form. ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

Wayne Harrison
December 14th, 2005, 03:27 PM
"Tim J." > wrote

> Not all Republicans are the evil, land-hoarding, pillaging mass you think
> they are.

truth be known, i'd vote for you for damn near any office you chose to
seek.
but, yeah, i know--if nominated you wouldn't run, and if elected you
wouldn't serve.
that's why i trust you.

yfitons
wayno(not *quite* a yellow dog democrat, but it's damn close)

Larry L
December 14th, 2005, 03:45 PM
"Tim J." > wrote

It's just bad form. ;-)
> --

Why is that? No, really, why?

It seems to me that a whole lot of maudlin gibberish flows through here
about 'friendship', 'camaraderie (sp)', and such. But, all friendship,
indeed all relationships, involve forgiveness since we all do things that
need forgiving.

The flip side of foregiveness is apology and it, too, is sometimes required
in all friendships. Now, I personally make no claims to 'having friends'
on roff but it intrigues me why nearly all those most enamoroured of that
idea also show distain for a basic ingredient of friendship ... at least
here.

Where are Warren, and Willi? and why are so many others that used to drop by
often, now by so seldom seen? I tend to doubt that it's because the
friendship here is so very good. Maybe a few apologies, here and there,
would have made it worth staying to share?

rw
December 14th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Larry L wrote:

> Please accept my apology ( no I'm not afraid to apologize on roff ), Tim,
> and all Republicans that I made feel lumped together with one particularly
> bad and smelly egg.

It's hardly one bad and smelly egg. The modern Republican Party, in both
the Congress and the Executive, is FULL of ideologues who reject even
the concept of federal protection of public lands and the environment.

Tim J.
December 14th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Larry L typed:
> "Tim J." > wrote
>
> It's just bad form. ;-)
>
> Why is that? No, really, why?
>
> It seems to me that a whole lot of maudlin gibberish flows through
> here about 'friendship', 'camaraderie (sp)', and such. But, all
> friendship, indeed all relationships, involve forgiveness since we
> all do things that need forgiving.
>
> The flip side of foregiveness is apology and it, too, is sometimes
> required in all friendships. Now, I personally make no claims to
> 'having friends' on roff but it intrigues me why nearly all those
> most enamoroured of that idea also show distain for a basic
> ingredient of friendship ... at least here.
>
> Where are Warren, and Willi? and why are so many others that used to
> drop by often, now by so seldom seen? I tend to doubt that it's
> because the friendship here is so very good. Maybe a few apologies,
> here and there, would have made it worth staying to share?

"Can't we all just get along?" ;-) Methinks Larry's funny bone has broken.

IMHO, apologies are unnecessary in a group format such as this, and have,
from time to time, been as useful as tits on a bull, and as sincere as
Hallmark print. Also, with the type of open format this arena offers, you
can say what you will and anyone else who cares has the same leverage.
Warren and Willi can answer this question for themselves, should they care
to, but I don't think lack of apologies on roff has anything to do with
their scarcity these days.

.... and, for the record, I love you, man.
--
TL,
Tim

Tim J.
December 14th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Wayne Harrison typed:
> "Tim J." > wrote
>
>> Not all Republicans are the evil, land-hoarding, pillaging mass you
>> think they are.
>
> truth be known, i'd vote for you for damn near any office you
> chose to seek.
> but, yeah, i know--if nominated you wouldn't run, and if elected
> you wouldn't serve.
> that's why i trust you.

While I appreciate the confidence, *THAT* will be the day. Talk about yer
skeletons! Heck, I need more than one closet.
--
TL,
Tim

December 14th, 2005, 04:43 PM
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:07:11 -0700, rw >
wrote:

>Larry L wrote:
>>
>> Please accept my apology ( no I'm not afraid to apologize on roff ), Tim,
>> and all Republicans that I made feel lumped together with one particularly
>> bad and smelly egg.
>
>It's hardly one bad and smelly egg. The modern Republican Party, in both
>the Congress and the Executive, is FULL of ideologues who reject even
>the concept of federal protection of public lands and the environment.

No, no, no, no....no. What they reject is the Fed subsidizing...well,
whiny-assed hypocrites who aren't gonna vote for them anyway...as
opposed to the Dems, who will subsidize your particular brand of
whiny-assed hypocrisy, even though you will vote for them no matter what
they do...now, if you were wetting yourself about capital gains taxation
or something...

December 14th, 2005, 04:47 PM
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:00:05 GMT, "Larry L"
> wrote:

>"Conan The Librarian" > wrote
>>
>> Good news, but there's still one ominous passage in that article:
>>
>> "A spokesman for House Resources Committee Chairman Richard Pombo said he
>> would work with Gibbons to modernize mining law next year."
>>
>> "Modernize mining law", eh? I wonder what that means?
>>

>> Chuck Vance
>
>the article also contains this passage
>
> "Critics -- including hunters, anglers and several Democratic Western
>governors -- said the legislation could prompt the sale of millions of acres
>of public lands. "
>
>notice the grouping .... hunters, anglers and DEMOCRATS .... I hope to hell
>that 'Sportsmen for Bush and Other Thieves" will someday SOON wake up to the
>fact that sportsmen have more at stake when we vote than keeping an AK47
>
>Pombo is not the Rep for my district, but, rest assured that I will do
>everything I possibly can to help keep him from being re-elected. The Rep
>for my district, another Republican, did vote for the House version of the
>budget that included Pombo's "modernizing" and also voted for Pombo's
>gutting of the Endangered Species Act. He too has become a target of my
>wrath. I haven't been politically active, beyond casting my votes, since
>the early 70s but I will be now ... the public is under attack .... and the
>attackers are public enemies that must be stopped.
>
>Mr Pombo, and cronies, I care what all the kids of the future receive in
>their legacy as Americans, not just the kids of the very wealthiest
>families, and I VOTE

The problem is that there are valid arguments to both sides of this
overall issue, and Pombo isn't nearly the villain many wish him to be.
And it appears that you, like so many others, are so absolutely sure
that you're absolutely, completely 100% right, the other side is not
only totally 100% wrong, but "evil" too, and as such, not worth hearing
from or about.

TC,

Wolfgang
December 14th, 2005, 05:00 PM
> wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:00:05 GMT, "Larry L"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Conan The Librarian" > wrote
>>>
>>> Good news, but there's still one ominous passage in that article:
>>>
>>> "A spokesman for House Resources Committee Chairman Richard Pombo said
>>> he
>>> would work with Gibbons to modernize mining law next year."
>>>
>>> "Modernize mining law", eh? I wonder what that means?
>>>

>>> Chuck Vance
>>
>>the article also contains this passage
>>
>> "Critics -- including hunters, anglers and several Democratic Western
>>governors -- said the legislation could prompt the sale of millions of
>>acres
>>of public lands. "
>>
>>notice the grouping .... hunters, anglers and DEMOCRATS .... I hope to
>>hell
>>that 'Sportsmen for Bush and Other Thieves" will someday SOON wake up to
>>the
>>fact that sportsmen have more at stake when we vote than keeping an AK47
>>
>>Pombo is not the Rep for my district, but, rest assured that I will do
>>everything I possibly can to help keep him from being re-elected. The
>>Rep
>>for my district, another Republican, did vote for the House version of the
>>budget that included Pombo's "modernizing" and also voted for Pombo's
>>gutting of the Endangered Species Act. He too has become a target of my
>>wrath. I haven't been politically active, beyond casting my votes, since
>>the early 70s but I will be now ... the public is under attack .... and
>>the
>>attackers are public enemies that must be stopped.
>>
>>Mr Pombo, and cronies, I care what all the kids of the future receive in
>>their legacy as Americans, not just the kids of the very wealthiest
>>families, and I VOTE
>>

> The problem is that there are valid arguments to both sides of this
> overall issue, and Pombo isn't nearly the villain many wish him to be.
> And it appears that you, like so many others, are so absolutely sure
> that you're absolutely, completely 100% right, the other side is not
> only totally 100% wrong, but "evil" too, and as such, not worth hearing
> from or about.

Which is exactly why it is fortunate for all of us that you STILL have
absolutely nothing to say.

Wolfgang

Frank Reid
December 14th, 2005, 08:35 PM
>Heck, I need more than one closet.

Hey, you're among friends, you can come out any time you want.

Frank Reid

December 15th, 2005, 05:24 AM
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:00:02 -0600, "Wolfgang" > wrote:

> wrote in message

wha-wa-wha-wa-wha-wha-wa...and now, for a little David Benoit...

>Which is exactly why it is fortunate for all of us that you STILL have
>absolutely nothing to say.

And yet, you read...

MC,
Eleven-and-a-half.....partridges-in-a-pear-tree.......dick

Wolfgang
December 15th, 2005, 03:22 PM
> wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:00:02 -0600, "Wolfgang" > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
>
> wha-wa-wha-wa-wha-wha-wa...and now, for a little David Benoit...
>>
>>Which is exactly why it is fortunate for all of us that you STILL have
>>absolutely nothing to say.
>
> And yet, you read...

Of course. Why not?

> MC,
> Eleven-and-a-half.....partridges-in-a-pear-tree.......dick

Still not as clever as "ideology sucks", but any mind numbing mantra dulls
the pain.......right? :)

Wolfgang
who knows as well as the practitioners that it doesn't.......but what the
hell......no skin off my nose.