PDA

View Full Version : OT Cataracts ??!!??

Ken Fortenberry
December 14th, 2005, 09:37 PM
I can't believe it, but I have to have cataract surgery
on my right eye. ****, I'm only 49, I like to fell out
of the chair when he told me.

So some guy is gonna rip out a piece of the natural
born flesh *in my eye* and replace it with a man made
substitute. Ain't that a ****in' hoot.

This will require massive amounts of post-surgical
Budweiser. Just a heads up for those of you who might
want to load up your portfolios with Anheuser Busch
stock. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Tim J.
December 14th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Ken Fortenberry typed:
> I can't believe it, but I have to have cataract surgery
> on my right eye. ****, I'm only 49, I like to fell out
> of the chair when he told me.
>
> So some guy is gonna rip out a piece of the natural
> born flesh *in my eye* and replace it with a man made
> substitute. Ain't that a ****in' hoot.
>
> This will require massive amounts of post-surgical
> Budweiser. Just a heads up for those of you who might
> want to load up your portfolios with Anheuser Busch
> stock. ;-)

This is probably due to consumption of cows **** for many years. Maybe
post-surgery you should switch brands.

Good luck, Ken. When is the surgery scheduled?
--
TL,
Tim

daytripper
December 14th, 2005, 10:09 PM
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:37:45 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
> wrote:

>I can't believe it, but I have to have cataract surgery
>on my right eye. ****, I'm only 49, I like to fell out
>of the chair when he told me.
>
>So some guy is gonna rip out a piece of the natural
>born flesh *in my eye* and replace it with a man made
>substitute. Ain't that a ****in' hoot.
>
>This will require massive amounts of post-surgical
>Budweiser. Just a heads up for those of you who might
>want to load up your portfolios with Anheuser Busch
>stock. ;-)

Ah, yes, you've been afflicted with the dreaded Anheuser Syndrome...

/daytripper (sorry to hear you're getting old with the rest of us ;-)

Daniel-San
December 14th, 2005, 10:25 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote ...
>I can't believe it, but I have to have cataract surgery
> on my right eye. ****, I'm only 49, I like to fell out
> of the chair when he told me.
>
> So some guy is gonna rip out a piece of the natural
> born flesh *in my eye* and replace it with a man made
> substitute. Ain't that a ****in' hoot.
>
> This will require massive amounts of post-surgical
> Budweiser. Just a heads up for those of you who might
> want to load up your portfolios with Anheuser Busch
> stock. ;-)
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

Yeesh. You'd think that a Deadhead wouldn't have problems with pressure in
his eyes...

Oh, wait... that's glaucoma, not cataracts.

;-)

Good luck. Make sure that it's you and not the doc that's enjoying the
Budweiser. (oxymoron noted ;-) )

Dan

Scott Seidman
December 14th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Ken Fortenberry > wrote in news:Jg0of.37380
:

> I can't believe it, but I have to have cataract surgery
> on my right eye.

Good luck with it. Beware, though-- people can get real uncomfortable if
the correction is very different between the two eyes, and your new right
eye will not need correction (at least for distance). If you have a strong
left eye correction, you might want to ask your doc about it.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Mike Connor
December 14th, 2005, 10:45 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. net...
>I can't believe it, but I have to have cataract surgery
> on my right eye. ****, I'm only 49, I like to fell out
> of the chair when he told me.

Yep, Tempus fugit, ****s it as well!

TL
MC

BJ Conner
December 14th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Been there, done that. Dental appointments usually result in more
pain. Big difference is you have to have your sweeting drive you home.
You can stop for coffee which is not a good option after getting your
teeth worked on.
The plastic lens is no biggie. After getting a $15,000 rubber band
around my eye I figured I could trust them with a plastic .lens.

Ken Fortenberry
December 14th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Tim J. wrote:
> Ken Fortenberry typed:
>>I can't believe it, but I have to have cataract surgery
>>on my right eye. ...
>
> This is probably due to consumption of cows **** for many years. Maybe
> post-surgery you should switch brands.
>
> Good luck, Ken. When is the surgery scheduled?

Thanks Tim. I have to pick a surgeon first, I'm soliciting
opinions from friends whose parents have had cataract
surgery as none of my friends are old enough to have had
it themselves. I also need to choose an IOL (intraocular
lens) to replace the original equipment. I'm just getting
into this but there are a lot of fancy new replacement
lenses available. I'm lookin for one that has the Xray
trout seeking feature. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

BJ Conner
December 14th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Been there, done that. Dental appointments usually result in more
pain. Big difference is you have to have your sweetie drive you home.
You can stop for coffee which is not a good option after getting your
teeth worked on.
The plastic lens is no biggie. After getting a $15,000 rubber band
around my eye I figured I could trust them with a plastic .lens.

Dave LaCourse
December 14th, 2005, 11:20 PM
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:37:45 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
> wrote:

>I can't believe it, but I have to have cataract surgery
>on my right eye. ****, I'm only 49, I like to fell out
>of the chair when he told me.
>
>So some guy is gonna rip out a piece of the natural
>born flesh *in my eye* and replace it with a man made
>substitute. Ain't that a ****in' hoot.

Piece of cake; don't worry about it. You're in and out of the
hospital in an hour and a half. Wait until you see colors out of your
good eye (the one with the new lens). You will be amazed. I had my
right eye done two years ago, and the left eye will be done next year.

Oh, yeah, forgot....... this is a sign of aging. Your dick will fall
off next if you don't switch from Bud to a more palatable beer.

Good luck with the surgery.

Dave

>This will require massive amounts of post-surgical
>Budweiser. Just a heads up for those of you who might
>want to load up your portfolios with Anheuser Busch
>stock. ;-)

Wayne Knight
December 14th, 2005, 11:27 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
. net...

> So some guy is gonna rip out a piece of the natural
> born flesh *in my eye* and replace it with a man made
> substitute. Ain't that a ****in' hoot.

You're going to see so well out of the right eye after you're done that
you're gonna want to get the left eye done.

Good luck.

riverman
December 15th, 2005, 01:37 AM
"I'm lookin for one that has the Xray
trout seeking feature"

Now, wouldn't THAT be a gas if they could put in a Polarized lens!

Good luck. By the way, what were the symptoms? I'm not usually a
hypochondriac, but I've had this nagging 'floater' for a couple of
years that keeps blurring my left eye for hours and hours on end and I
can't seem to get it out of the way. I had an opthomologist look at it
in South Africa last year, and he didn't see anything. But, of course,
the next day it came back. Even now, I can only focus out of one eye,
and the left one has this damn blurry spot dead center.

--riverman

Thomas Littleton
December 15th, 2005, 01:42 AM
"Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message

>Your dick will fall
> off next if you don't switch from Bud to a more palatable beer.

David, are you suggesting that it is possible to somehow switch to a less
palatable beer??
.......anyhow, good luck with the procedure, Ken.
Tom

BJ Conner
December 15th, 2005, 01:54 AM
Have it done in Vancouver BC, save money and you get to visit a fun
place. On second though your not supposed to fly for a couple of
weeks after you have it done.

Dave LaCourse
December 15th, 2005, 02:19 AM
On 14 Dec 2005 17:37:24 -0800, "riverman" > wrote:

> By the way, what were the symptoms?

A cataract clouds the eye. It's like looking through a dirty window.
The dirtier it gets the worse the eye is. When they crack up the
cataract with a laser and implant a new lens, the eye returns to
almost perfect. My right eye was done two years ago and if I look at
something white with my left eye closed and then switch using my left
eye, the difference is amazing - from pure white to a dingy
white/almost gray. The change in colors is most amazing. I found
myself in the car coming home and closing my left eye just to see how
beautiful the colors where. I had a shield on the eye for a day, but
could see through the mesh. Pretty amazing procedure.

Dave

Ken Fortenberry
December 15th, 2005, 03:42 AM
riverman wrote:

> Now, wouldn't THAT be a gas if they could put in a Polarized lens!

Hah ! Polarized, Shmolarized, my new eyeball is gonna be a
HDTV, stop-action TIVO, crystal ball, time machine eyeball.
Not to mention being equipped with a trout sensor. ;-)

> Good luck. By the way, what were the symptoms? ...

Thanks. I can only relate symptoms in retrospect, when he
told me I had cataracts I was flabbergasted. But in retrospect
I first noticed something weird back in August when I was
driving to St. Louis to catch a Cardinals game. It was an
afternoon game so I left Chambana early in the morning. I
remember thinking that this morning fog will lift as soon
as the sun gets good and up. It didn't, it was "foggy" all
the way to St. Louis. That weekend at the Farmer's Market
I couldn't seem to wipe the smudges off my glasses, I kept
taking them off and cleaning them to no avail.

My left eye did a great job of compensating, I didn't
notice anything much amiss except I needed to wear a ball
cap while working at the computer to cut down on the glare.

Then we drove to Birmingham to pick up my daughter. I was
astounded at how much Kristine could see that I could not.
The white lettering on the green background of the highway
signs melted into gray and I couldn't read them until I
was right on top of them. When we drove through a rain
storm on the interstate a big semi with a white trailer
just flat ass disappeared into a gray glob.

Like I said, that's all retrospect. Kristine made the eye
doctor appointment, I really had no idea just how blind
I was until the eye doctor issued the reality check. It
was obvious enough to him, he saw it immediately, so if
you're at all worried about it your eye doctor should be
able to let you know one way or the other. For what it's
worth I saw the same eye doctor last December, exactly
one year ago, and at that time there were no cataracts.
Apparently subcapsular cataracts can form very quickly.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Wayne Knight
December 15th, 2005, 04:12 AM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
. net...

> able to let you know one way or the other. For what it's
> worth I saw the same eye doctor last December, exactly
> one year ago, and at that time there were no cataracts.
> Apparently subcapsular cataracts can form very quickly.

If memory serves me correctly they tend to develop slowly but once they do
develop the onset is rather quick. Odds are it was there last year but for
what ever reason it was missed. The subcapsular type is the more common type
in folks under 60 but more likely to happen to fat former smokers like me
rather than to thin marathon dudes like yourself. Have you ever had to take
steroids for any type of auto immune malfunction?

Wayne
Left the clinical side of healthcare almost 20 years ago but still likes to
dabble in epidemiology.

Cyli
December 15th, 2005, 07:30 AM
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:37:45 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
> wrote:

>I can't believe it, but I have to have cataract surgery
>on my right eye. ****, I'm only 49, I like to fell out
>of the chair when he told me.

Sometimes other people can see them. If someone looks closely at your
eyes, they can see the white creeping in from the ends.

Be very glad that you're in an era when the surgery done to correct it
is good. If you ever heard old people talk about how the docs waited
for the cataracts to 'ripen', and knew what it meant, you'd have been
shaking back then. They used to wait until the patient couldn't see
much but blurs, take the lens off, have nothing to replace it with, so
they'd wait until the patient would be grateful for what he / she
_could_ see out of the Coke bottle glasses they'd have to wear.

It was worse in India. Quacks would go to the villages, pierce the
cataracts with a thorn, the patient would be able to see, and then,
due to the type of surgery, the lack of sanitation, etc., they'd go
permanently blind.

Oh, yeah, now that I've dropped my less than cheery message of the
golden olden ages, good luck (not that you should need it) with your
modern day surgery.

Different parts of us age at different rates. You're, in a way, lucky
that what you had go was something easy to cure.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: (strip the .invalid to email)

Ken Fortenberry
December 15th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Wayne Knight wrote:
> "Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
>>... subcapsular cataracts ...
>
> ... The subcapsular type is the more common type
> in folks under 60 but more likely to happen to fat former smokers like me
> rather than to thin marathon dudes like yourself. Have you ever had to take
> steroids for any type of auto immune malfunction?
>
> Wayne
> Left the clinical side of healthcare almost 20 years ago but still likes to
> dabble in epidemiology.

No steroids, and anticipating your next questions, no diabetes
or retinitis pigmentosa and I'm nearsighted not farsighted. I
can't believe I wore out a perfectly good eyeball in only 49
years. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

December 15th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Hello guys, long time no read. :-) My heart is slowing me down some,
haven't fished in years.

My cataracts are developing *very* slowly. A couple of years ago I was
told I have one developing in my right eye. This year, one in my left
eye. So far, no symptoms such as Ken described. BTW, I'm 75.

Wayne Knight
December 15th, 2005, 01:06 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
om...
> can't believe I wore out a perfectly good eyeball in only 49
> years. ;-)

Your moma was right, if you didn't stop you were going to go blind ;)

December 15th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Wayne Knight wrote:

> "Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
> om...
> > can't believe I wore out a perfectly good eyeball in only 49
> > years. ;-)
> >

> Your moma was right, if you didn't stop you were going to go blind ;)

Jesus, I'd forgotten how funny you SOBs are. Good one Wayne!

Tim J.
December 15th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Ken Fortenberry typed:
> Wayne Knight wrote:
>> "Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
>>> ... subcapsular cataracts ...
>>
>> ... The subcapsular type is the more common type
>> in folks under 60 but more likely to happen to fat former smokers
>> like me rather than to thin marathon dudes like yourself. Have you
>> ever had to take steroids for any type of auto immune malfunction?
>>
>> Wayne
>> Left the clinical side of healthcare almost 20 years ago but still
>> likes to dabble in epidemiology.
>
> No steroids, and anticipating your next questions, no diabetes
> or retinitis pigmentosa and I'm nearsighted not farsighted. I
> can't believe I wore out a perfectly good eyeball in only 49
> years. ;-)

It was probably caused by lack of use, since you only see things from the
left point of view.
--
TL,
Tim

God will take out the SINNERS
December 15th, 2005, 01:57 PM
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 08:45:38 -0500, "Tim J."
> wrote:

>It was probably caused by lack of use, since you only see things from the
>left point of view.

IT'S PUNISHMENT FROM GOD!!!

ps - send money...

Ken Fortenberry
December 15th, 2005, 02:22 PM
wrote:
> Hello guys, long time no read. :-) My heart is slowing me down some,
> haven't fished in years. ...

Hey Harry, welcome back. Sorry to hear about the lack
of fishing, but that shouldn't stop you from giving us
the Buckeye perspective. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Wolfgang
December 15th, 2005, 02:34 PM
"Wayne Knight" > wrote in message

> "Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
> om...
>> can't believe I wore out a perfectly good eyeball in only 49
>> years. ;-)
>>

> Your moma was right, if you didn't stop you were going to go blind ;)

Well, I guess that answers Myron's question. :)

Wolfgang
but just one eye? :(

BJ Conner
December 15th, 2005, 03:23 PM
The expensive rubber band I have around my right eye is to reattach a
detached retna. I was very lucky.
One of the symptoms of detached retna is floaters. The best way I can
describe what I had was that I was seeing gnats. It was like the
little black gnats that hang around ripe fruit. I was seening them fly
around sporadically but they weren't there. If you see gnats get your
ass to the doctor without delay. My eyesight was saved by a nurse who
knew what it was and wouldn't let me wait a day, if she had had a
pistol she would have pulled it on me and put me in the trunk of the
car to get me to the surgeon.

BJ Conner
December 15th, 2005, 03:24 PM
He wore out a perfectly good brain a lot faster than that and he didn't
even use it much.

Don Phillipson
December 15th, 2005, 03:50 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
. net...

> I can't believe it, but I have to have cataract surgery
> on my right eye. ****, I'm only 49, I like to fell out
> of the chair when he told me.

Had mine 10 days ago (aged 66) and I can recommend
the procedure. Vision that side is still fuzzy (e.g. a
single street light presents as a circular galaxy of 8 or 10) but
-- naked eye distance vision is hugely improved;
-- colours are brighter and much "cleaner" compared with
the other still-clouded eye (due for surgery Feb. 14.)

Mine was done at day surgery in the specialized eye clinic
of a local hospital, in at 9.30 a.m., on the table at 11.30
(after a whole series of eye drops for anaesthesia etc.)
home again before 2.30.

You have to go carefully for a month or more i.e.
-- checkups by the eye surgeon on days 2, 8 and 30
-- no inadvertent poking even while in the shower;
-- daily antibiotic drops to inhibit infection. I asked
the surgeon about this on Tuesday when he said the
risk is supposed to be bacteria (commonly staph type)
normally resident on the skin of the eyelid. I asked
whether anyone had yet investigated post-op treatment,
e.g. whether it was better to wash the face once a day
or 5 times or 10 (or never) and he said no: never done.
-- no heavy lifting (for a month or so, variously measured
at 10 or 20 kg. This can be inconvenient for someone heating
the house with wood . . . )
-- Any irritation in the eye is frightening or a darn nuisance --
as for 6 hours or so on day 9, but it went away . . .
-- On day 15 I can go to the optometrist to get a temporary
clear/reading lens for the new eye. I shall still need spectacles
for bad astigmatism and reading, but expect to be able to see
a size 18 caddis much farther than heretofore.

But, to repeat, I recommend the procedure (by someone
who knows what he is doing: six months' waiting in these
parts.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Ken Fortenberry
December 15th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Don Phillipson wrote:
> <snip excellent first-hand report>
> But, to repeat, I recommend the procedure (by someone
> who knows what he is doing: six months' waiting in these
> parts.)

Thanks for the report Don, good to hear so far so good.

Did you have any choice in IOLs or did they just implant
a traditional monofocal IOL ?

I have an appointment with the surgeon a week from tomorrow
so it appears that these things move a litle more quickly
here than in Canada.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Don Phillipson
December 15th, 2005, 10:20 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
. net...
> Don Phillipson wrote:
> > <snip excellent first-hand report>
> > But, to repeat, I recommend the procedure (by someone
> > who knows what he is doing: six months' waiting in these
> > parts.)
>
> Thanks for the report Don, good to hear so far so good.
>
> Did you have any choice in IOLs or did they just implant
> a traditional monofocal IOL ?

It was not suggested. I relied on his expertise (chosen
by my GP) since also taking pills for excess thyroid
activity -- a medical wild card because this may influence
lots of other body parts . . . or perhaps not: no one really knows.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Cyli
December 16th, 2005, 04:19 AM
On 15 Dec 2005 07:23:24 -0800, "BJ Conner" >
wrote:

>The expensive rubber band I have around my right eye is to reattach a
>detached retna. I was very lucky.
>One of the symptoms of detached retna is floaters. The best way I can
>describe what I had was that I was seeing gnats. It was like the
>little black gnats that hang around ripe fruit. I was seening them fly
>around sporadically but they weren't there. If you see gnats get your
>ass to the doctor without delay. My eyesight was saved by a nurse who
>knew what it was and wouldn't let me wait a day, if she had had a
>pistol she would have pulled it on me and put me in the trunk of the
>car to get me to the surgeon.

You can have floaters with no other problems, though. Mine look a lot
like biology stuff of lines of cells. I've had them at least since
early teen years. My only eye problems so far have been
nearsightedness.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: (strip the .invalid to email)

BJ Conner
December 16th, 2005, 02:24 PM
I think we all have those, if they move when you blink, those are on
the outside of your eyeball. The "gnat" ones are cause by things
going on inside your eyeball. Dark floaters can be blood in the
vitrous humor or tears in the retna. The gnat ones look like a hole in
the universe.
You dont' want to lay on your back and watch the bad floaters move
against the summer sky.

riverman
December 16th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Mine is like a really large, unfocused spot right in the center of my
line of vision. No sparkles, no dots, no pulsing crossword puzzle
pattern, paisley swirls or concentric circles (I sometimes get things
that sort of look like that), just a big dull zone that comes and goes.
If I wiggle my eyes around, I can get it to move offcenter, but after a
few seconds it drifts back again. Its irritating enough that I
sometimes have to stop reading, grading papers, or looking at the
computer. I think its there about 60% of my waking hours. Went to an
eye doctor in SA and asked him about it, he looked into my eye and said
"nope, no problems there. None of the 'bad type' of floaters".
Unfortuately (as could be predicted), it wasn't happening at that time.
I get the feeling that if it had been happening, he would have said
"holy ****! What is THAT ginormous thing??!"

--riverman

Wolfgang
December 16th, 2005, 04:39 PM
"riverman" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Mine is like a really large, unfocused spot right in the center of my
> line of vision. No sparkles, no dots, no pulsing crossword puzzle
> pattern, paisley swirls or concentric circles (I sometimes get things
> that sort of look like that), just a big dull zone that comes and goes.
> If I wiggle my eyes around, I can get it to move offcenter, but after a
> few seconds it drifts back again. Its irritating enough that I
> sometimes have to stop reading, grading papers, or looking at the
> computer. I think its there about 60% of my waking hours. Went to an
> eye doctor in SA and asked him about it, he looked into my eye and said
> "nope, no problems there. None of the 'bad type' of floaters".
> Unfortuately (as could be predicted), it wasn't happening at that time.
> I get the feeling that if it had been happening, he would have said
> "holy ****! What is THAT ginormous thing??!"

Could be ocular migraines. Lots of information on the web.

Wolfgang

slenon
December 16th, 2005, 04:41 PM
You could be experiencing the blind zone that comes from looking exactly
ahead of the optic nerve as it connects to the retina. We all have a blind
spot in the ahead direction that varies in size and somewhat in position.
\

http://www.tedmontgomery.com/the_eye/

Will provide a bit more information.
The link "optic nerve" will discuss the blind spot.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
When the dawn came up like thunder

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

slenon
December 16th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Ken, while it is unlikely we will agree on much, I wish you good luck with
your visual problems. It's difficult when your body betrays you.

I recall how I felt, being diagnosed with glaucoma at 51. I hated being the
youngest patient in the waiting room.

Now my glaucoma is stabilized and I'm developing cataracts. Again, good
luck.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
When the dawn came up like thunder

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

Ken Fortenberry
December 16th, 2005, 04:58 PM
slenon wrote:
> Ken, while it is unlikely we will agree on much, I wish you good luck with
> your visual problems. It's difficult when your body betrays you.

Thanks, Stev. After the initial shock, it's not that big a deal.
The eye doc must have seen the surprise on my face, cataracts was
the *last* thing I expected him to say, so he ticked off a half
dozen things that were way worse. And he's right, this is minor
and fixable.

> I recall how I felt, being diagnosed with glaucoma at 51. I hated being the
> youngest patient in the waiting room.
>
> Now my glaucoma is stabilized and I'm developing cataracts. Again, good
> luck.

Like Daniel said, I do my share of glaucoma prevention therapy ;-)
so I don't worry about that so much. Good luck with all that
and thanks again.

--
Ken Fortenberry

December 16th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hello guys, long time no read. :-) My heart is slowing me down some,
> > haven't fished in years. ...
>
> Hey Harry, welcome back. Sorry to hear about the lack
> of fishing, but that shouldn't stop you from giving us
> the Buckeye perspective. ;-)

You'll like this! My wife is retiring in a few and we're gonna build
on her farmnear Havana. Does that mean I have to stop being a
"hairless nut" become a "frightened Illini" instead? BTW, I guess
you're over your mid life crisis. How was it? :-)

Harry

Ken Fortenberry
December 16th, 2005, 06:09 PM
wrote:
> Ken Fortenberry wrote:
>>Hey Harry, welcome back.
>
> You'll like this! My wife is retiring in a few and we're gonna build
> on her farmnear Havana. Does that mean I have to stop being a
> "hairless nut" become a "frightened Illini" instead?

Not a chance !! Once a Buckeye always a Buckeye. We'll
probably retire to Minnesota when the time comes but
that don't mean I'm gonna turn into no goddamn yellow
gopher. ;-)

> BTW, I guess
> you're over your mid life crisis. How was it? :-)

Most excellent, Harry. I highly recommend it.

--
Ken Fortenberry

December 17th, 2005, 12:56 PM
" We'll probably retire to Minnesota"

When I get to IL, I'm thinking of switching dog trainers to a couple of
guys N of Minn-St. Paul. Dunno if you remember (or knew) but I've been
field trialing Pointers / Setters for 40 years. Added English Cocker
Spaniels a couple of years ago. More ways to spend my retirement
check! :-)

Harry

mark tinsky
December 17th, 2005, 07:17 PM
HI Ken I had that about ten years ago at the tender age of 40. No
problem went to Penns a couple days later.

The problems happened about 5 years later as the pieces of the retina
in that eye started to come loose. Lot s of floaters, a kind of halo
if I remember correctly no brite spots which is more common. Just one
of those things that happens 2% of the time from cataract surgery.

So just watch out for something like this down the road and if it
starts to happened get it checked immediately.

MT

Cyli
December 18th, 2005, 12:15 AM
On 17 Dec 2005 04:56:05 -0800, " >
wrote:

>" We'll probably retire to Minnesota"
>
>When I get to IL, I'm thinking of switching dog trainers to a couple of
>guys N of Minn-St. Paul. Dunno if you remember (or knew) but I've been
>field trialing Pointers / Setters for 40 years. Added English Cocker
>Spaniels a couple of years ago. More ways to spend my retirement
>check! :-)

Wouldn't be that Armstrong Kennels is still running up there, and
that'd be the place?

One of the coolest transitions from marginal farming to successful
other business on the same land that I, personally, know of. They
started out with just some retriever training and breeding (bred Labs)
and blossomed out to a full fledged game bird training area, with
regular shows and lots of stuff.