PDA

View Full Version : Intelligence in Pennsylvania

Daniel-San
December 20th, 2005, 06:37 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/12/20/intelligent.design.ap/index.html

"We find that the secular purposes claimed by the Board amount to a pretext
for the Board's real purpose, which was to promote religion in the public
school classroom,"

Dan

rw
December 20th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Daniel-San wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/12/20/intelligent.design.ap/index.html
>

> "We find that the secular purposes claimed by the Board amount to a pretext
> for the Board's real purpose, which was to promote religion in the public
> school classroom,"

Said the judge: "It is ironic that several of these individuals, who so
staunchly and proudly touted their religious convictions in public,
would time and again lie to cover their tracks and disguise the real
purpose behind the ID Policy."

Here's another take on ID:

http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/2005/11/the_other_id.php

Daniel-San
December 20th, 2005, 09:41 PM
"rw" wrote ...
> Daniel-San wrote:
>> http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/12/20/intelligent.design.ap/index.html
>>

>> "We find that the secular purposes claimed by the Board amount to a
>> pretext for the Board's real purpose, which was to promote religion in
>> the public school classroom,"
>
> Said the judge: "It is ironic that several of these individuals, who so
> staunchly and proudly touted their religious convictions in public, would
> time and again lie to cover their tracks and disguise the real purpose
> behind the ID Policy."
>
> Here's another take on ID:
>
> http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/2005/11/the_other_id.php
>
> --
> Cut "to the chase" for my email address.

I've been googling, trying to find when people started marketing creationism
by it's 'new and improved' name, intelligent design. Seems to me, it's
within the last couple years, but I can't find anything to verify that.

Weird that a concept's name has been altered in order to market it more
effectively. No, it's not 'creationism', that big, scary no-no, this is
<<cue Mighty Mouse theme>> 'Intelligent Design", as if it's some kind of
hybrid of the two.

I have zero problem with religion -- in fact, despite it's many shortcomings
(the crusades being a rather glaring example), I tend to believe that it
probably helps a lot of people deal with the many questions that life
offers. I just really, really wish people would keep it private.

Dan

Steve
December 20th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Daniel-San wrote:
> "rw" wrote ...

> > --
> > Cut "to the chase" for my email address.

SNIP

> Weird that a concept's name has been altered in order to market it more
> effectively. No, it's not 'creationism', that big, scary no-no, this is
> <<cue Mighty Mouse theme>> 'Intelligent Design", as if it's some kind of
> hybrid of the two.

SNIP

> Dan

If you want to read the full ruling as a pdf, go to:

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/images/12/20/kitzmiller.pdf

The judge uses some harsh language to characterize the defendants, but
I think that might be because the judge was peeved about being lied to.

There is a lot of history to renaming something to avoid connotations
of the old name. Take PMS, for one. There is a pathology where some
women experience amplified symptons of what other women normally
experience, but describing the more serious one as "PMS" implies that
everybody deals with it and trivializes it. By naming it something
else, like "Late-phase luteal dysphoric disorder," you make it more
serious to apply to the lady who went postal at a mall. Similar
linquistic phenomena occur in technical or professional jargon, too, as
well as government and corporate parlance.

Steve

Wolfgang
December 20th, 2005, 11:31 PM
"Steve" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Daniel-San wrote:
>> "rw" wrote ...
>
>> > --
>> > Cut "to the chase" for my email address.
>>

> SNIP
>
>> Weird that a concept's name has been altered in order to market it more
>> effectively. No, it's not 'creationism', that big, scary no-no, this is
>> <<cue Mighty Mouse theme>> 'Intelligent Design", as if it's some kind of
>> hybrid of the two.
>>

> SNIP
>

>> Dan
>
> If you want to read the full ruling as a pdf, go to:
>
> http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/images/12/20/kitzmiller.pdf
>
> The judge uses some harsh language to characterize the defendants, but
> I think that might be because the judge was peeved about being lied to.
>
> There is a lot of history to renaming something to avoid connotations
> of the old name. Take PMS, for one. There is a pathology where some
> women experience amplified symptons of what other women normally
> experience, but describing the more serious one as "PMS" implies that
> everybody deals with it and trivializes it. By naming it something
> else, like "Late-phase luteal dysphoric disorder," you make it more
> serious to apply to the lady who went postal at a mall. Similar
> linquistic phenomena occur in technical or professional jargon, too, as
> well as government and corporate parlance.

Beating ------------------>corporal punishment
Execution---------------->capital punishment
Massive layoffs-------->downsizing
Theft----------------------->golden parachute
Mass hysteria---------->religion
Juvenile sociopath---->God

The list goes on and on and on........

Wolfgang

vincent p. norris
December 21st, 2005, 02:34 AM
>>> Weird that a concept's name has been altered in order to market it more
>>> effectively.

In addition to Wolfgang's contributions, consider the names

"Abraham Lincoln Brigade" and "Patriot Act."

vince

Daniel-San
December 21st, 2005, 02:50 AM
"vincent p. norris" wrote ...

> In addition to Wolfgang's contributions, consider the names
>
> "Abraham Lincoln Brigade" and "Patriot Act."
>
> vince

Didn't mean to imply that I didn't know many examples, also. Just find it
odd, that's all.

My personal favorite (other than Wolfgang's 'juvenile sociopath' --
hysterical) has to be the Constitution Protection Act. What a joke....

Dan

Daniel-San
December 21st, 2005, 02:57 AM
"Daniel-San" wrote ...

>Constitution Protection Act.

Yeah, that's 'restoration', not protection.

oops...

Dan

B J Conner
December 21st, 2005, 05:08 PM
"rw" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Daniel-San wrote:
> > http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/12/20/intelligent.design.ap/index.html
> >

> > "We find that the secular purposes claimed by the Board amount to a
pretext
> > for the Board's real purpose, which was to promote religion in the
public
> > school classroom,"
>
> Said the judge: "It is ironic that several of these individuals, who so
> staunchly and proudly touted their religious convictions in public,
> would time and again lie to cover their tracks and disguise the real
> purpose behind the ID Policy."
>
> Here's another take on ID:
>
> http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/2005/11/the_other_id.php
>
> --
> Cut "to the chase" for my email address.\

Did I see the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monsterism here first ? I have
had more than one person send it to me. Interesting coorelation on the site
between the number of pirates and global warming.
http://www.venganza.org/