PDA

View Full Version : Extent of Signal crayfish

david
January 22nd, 2006, 10:41 AM
I know these tasty beasts live in the K and A canal around reading, but dos
anyone know if they have made it through as far as Devizes? That'd be a lot
closer for me to go for my supper!

david

Derek
January 22nd, 2006, 05:14 PM
"david" > wrote in message
>I know these tasty beasts live in the K and A canal around reading, but dos
>anyone know if they have made it through as far as Devizes? That'd be a
>lot closer for me to go for my supper!
>
> david
David probably better posting to uk.rec.fishing.coarse as of course this is
a sea fishing group and signal crays are a freshwater animal however have a
look at the distribution map
http://www.searchnbn.net/gridMap/gridMap.jsp?allDs=1&srchSpKey=NHMSYS0000377494
Derek

david
January 22nd, 2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks Derek. I have posted to the coarse net but it seems rather under
used!

Tghanks for the link. Trust the fishing is going well.

David

"Derek" > wrote in message

> "david" > wrote in message
>>I know these tasty beasts live in the K and A canal around reading, but
>>dos anyone know if they have made it through as far as Devizes? That'd be
>>a lot closer for me to go for my supper!
>>
>> david
> David probably better posting to uk.rec.fishing.coarse as of course this
> is a sea fishing group and signal crays are a freshwater animal however
> have a look at the distribution map
> http://www.searchnbn.net/gridMap/gridMap.jsp?allDs=1&srchSpKey=NHMSYS0000377494
> Derek

§ t î x
January 23rd, 2006, 10:43 AM
"david" > wrote in message
> I know these tasty beasts live in the K and A canal around reading, but dos
> anyone know if they have made it through as far as Devizes? That'd be a lot
> closer for me to go for my supper!
>
> david

There was a thing on our local news about them being wiped out. That was near
Devizes.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/4624024.stm

Paul Prescott
January 24th, 2006, 06:53 PM
We did wonder about whether they would be any good as a sea angling bait.
Plenty in the Basingstoke Canal. However, it seems that a licence would be
needed to collect them, even though they are an official pest. Do you think
smoothhounds or cod would like them?

"Derek" > wrote in message

> "david" > wrote in message
> >I know these tasty beasts live in the K and A canal around reading, but
dos
> >anyone know if they have made it through as far as Devizes? That'd be a
> >lot closer for me to go for my supper!
> >
> > david
> David probably better posting to uk.rec.fishing.coarse as of course this
is
> a sea fishing group and signal crays are a freshwater animal however have
> look at the distribution map

http://www.searchnbn.net/gridMap/gridMap.jsp?allDs=1&srchSpKey=NHMSYS0000377494
> Derek

david
January 24th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Well I just looked at then Environment Agency website and there's no mention
at all of a licence to collect the Signal Crayfish. They mention rod and
netting licences of course, but no mention at all of other types.

On a websire recently I saw that one needs a licence to KEEP any crayfish,
so I wonder of the licence required is for keeping and not fishing???

Anyway, it seems they havent made it to the devizes stretch of the K and A,
just as far as Hungerford. I'll pop along and have a go I think.

As for using them as bait, that seems a serious waste of crayfish meat!
Whether the target species would go for them, I couldn't say. Good luck
though.

David

Richard Bartlett
January 25th, 2006, 11:12 AM
David said >
> Well I just looked at then Environment Agency website and there's no
> mention at all of a licence to collect the Signal Crayfish. They mention
> rod and netting licences of course, but no mention at all of other types.

David,

The situation varies according to EA region - some are geared up for
crayfish trapping licences whereas others ...... well :-)

see here for the EA position..

http://tinyurl.com/clcvf

Whilst I agree that signal crays make lovely eating, clearly some control is
necessary in order to allow some harvesting of signals, whilst protecting
our native whiteclaws from the ravages of those who can't tell the
difference.
Although I have a strong suspicion that native crays are in irrecoverable
decline :-(

Richard
(Leeds)

Michael Musgrave
January 30th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Hi, as far as I understand, you need a licence to move the american
crayfish, as they can move across land for short distances. The Scots are
worried that they will get into the salmon rivers. There is some signs that
they are starting to infiltrate the salmon runs. I have used them to catch
smooth hound from a boat off Hayling Island. Even after 30 mins of being
hooked and uptided into sea water they still are flapping around. They make
a great alternative to fresh peelercrab, and free - providing you can
source them. The last time I was off shore, the skipper even boiled a couple
up to eat! I find it difficult to give them away. Mainly because no one has
a licence to take them home! Rather strange I thought.