PDA

View Full Version : Portable boat question

sandman
October 2nd, 2003, 02:18 PM
Hi All,

Has anyone had experince using a foldable portable boat type? Quebec has the
"Instaboat"...foldable alluminium boat. There's the Porte-boat from the US
one as well which comes in 3 sizes but made of some aerospace material I
believe. The price is I read is over $1200/- Any thoughts using as a
fishing boat?

Thnx,
ST

Rodney
October 2nd, 2003, 03:56 PM
sandman wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone had experince using a foldable portable boat type? Quebec has the
> "Instaboat"...foldable alluminium boat. There's the Porte-boat from the US
> one as well which comes in 3 sizes but made of some aerospace material I
> believe. The price is I read is over $1200/- Any thoughts using as a
> fishing boat?
>
> Thnx,
> ST

I have seen these used, they work about like a John boat for fishing
once their in the water.

Let me tell you about another portable fishing boat design, I got mine
last Friday, and I Love it. It's the Hobie Cat's outback fisherman, it
weighs under 60 lbs, can be topped on any vehicle, I got mine on
subcompact car right at the moment. This thing even comes with a set of
wheels that go in the bottom, and I have launched it down a 38 degree
bank with ease.

The best thing about it is the drive system, it's human powered, and it
is FAST, faster than a little boat and a trolling motor, it will
literally run Circles around two guys paddling a canoe. I've had mine
up to 6 knots, and I'm out of shape and weigh 300 lbs, oh yeah it can be
paddled like a standard kayak, or you can drop in the optional sail kit,
and it's a sail boat.

You peddle this thing, but it has no paddle wheel, like other peddle
boats, it uses a Hydro sail drive (two flippers like those of a seal),
it is totally silent, except for the wake it kicks up in high speed.

This boat comes fully equipped for fishing, you have an anchor system,
ice chest, and even a tackle box, it has four rod holders, as well as
two drink holders, it also has a very conformable seat, I spent 4 hours
in it yesterday, and my butt was no sore, nether was my back

You can read all the details about it at the Hobie's site
http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/models_outbackfisherman.html

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,

sandman
October 2nd, 2003, 05:26 PM
Very nice boat indeed (If I was alone). Unfortunately it doesn't fit my
needs as I need to carry more then 2 people in it plus, I like the idea that
the porte-boat folds into a mere 4 inches which doesn't take up much space
on the roof of a car and seems easier to store away too. Out of curiosity
how much did you get yours for? My buddy had the same idea and make his
kayak into a fishing kayak.

Cheers,
ST

"Rodney" > wrote in message
> sandman wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Has anyone had experince using a foldable portable boat type? Quebec has
the
> > "Instaboat"...foldable alluminium boat. There's the Porte-boat from the
US
> > one as well which comes in 3 sizes but made of some aerospace material I
> > believe. The price is I read is over $1200/- Any thoughts using as a
> > fishing boat?
> >
> > Thnx,
> > ST
> >

> I have seen these used, they work about like a John boat for fishing
> once their in the water.
>
> Let me tell you about another portable fishing boat design, I got mine
> last Friday, and I Love it. It's the Hobie Cat's outback fisherman, it
> weighs under 60 lbs, can be topped on any vehicle, I got mine on
> subcompact car right at the moment. This thing even comes with a set of
> wheels that go in the bottom, and I have launched it down a 38 degree
> bank with ease.
>
> The best thing about it is the drive system, it's human powered, and it
> is FAST, faster than a little boat and a trolling motor, it will
> literally run Circles around two guys paddling a canoe. I've had mine
> up to 6 knots, and I'm out of shape and weigh 300 lbs, oh yeah it can be
> paddled like a standard kayak, or you can drop in the optional sail kit,
> and it's a sail boat.
>
> You peddle this thing, but it has no paddle wheel, like other peddle
> boats, it uses a Hydro sail drive (two flippers like those of a seal),
> it is totally silent, except for the wake it kicks up in high speed.
>
> This boat comes fully equipped for fishing, you have an anchor system,
> ice chest, and even a tackle box, it has four rod holders, as well as
> two drink holders, it also has a very conformable seat, I spent 4 hours
> in it yesterday, and my butt was no sore, nether was my back
>
> You can read all the details about it at the Hobie's site
> http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/models_outbackfisherman.html
> >

> --
> Rodney Long,
> Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,
> Straight Up Lures, Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights,
> and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Rodney
October 2nd, 2003, 07:57 PM
sandman wrote:
> Very nice boat indeed (If I was alone). Unfortunately it doesn't fit my
> needs as I need to carry more then 2 people in it plus, I like the idea that
> the porte-boat folds into a mere 4 inches which doesn't take up much space
> on the roof of a car and seems easier to store away too. Out of curiosity
> how much did you get yours for? My buddy had the same idea and make his
> kayak into a fishing kayak.

This boat retails with everything except sail and life jacket, from
1,400-1,500 depending on where you buy it. The Drive unit is what
drives the price up to that amount. I wish the boat was sold without
the unit, so people could buy it a piece at a time

On your Porte-boat, I have never heard anything negative about it,
giving of course, it's size.

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,
Straight Up Lures, Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights,
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Dark Knight
October 3rd, 2003, 08:35 PM
I agree with Rodney - never heard anything negative about the Porta-Boat,
and in fact intend to purchase the 12' version next year. I've seen this
folding boat at a few trade shows now, and I'm convinced that in it's size,
there's nothing better.

For more information, check out the www.porta-baot.com website.

As for the Hobie, it is a super cool idea, and it always gets a lot of
attention at the trade shows. I would consider one of these if I spent a
fair amount of time fishing by myself, but if I'm on the water, it's usually
with my wife and/or kids and/or friends and/or staff and/or clients
and/or... (Perhaps I need to fish by myself every once in awhile...)

DK

"Rodney" > wrote in message
> sandman wrote:
> > Very nice boat indeed (If I was alone). Unfortunately it doesn't fit my
> > needs as I need to carry more then 2 people in it plus, I like the idea
that
> > the porte-boat folds into a mere 4 inches which doesn't take up much
space
> > on the roof of a car and seems easier to store away too. Out of
curiosity
> > how much did you get yours for? My buddy had the same idea and make his
> > kayak into a fishing kayak.
>
> This boat retails with everything except sail and life jacket, from
> 1,400-1,500 depending on where you buy it. The Drive unit is what
> drives the price up to that amount. I wish the boat was sold without
> the unit, so people could buy it a piece at a time
>
> On your Porte-boat, I have never heard anything negative about it,
> giving of course, it's size.
>
> --
> Rodney Long,
> Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,
> Straight Up Lures, Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights,
> and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Robb Nunya
October 7th, 2003, 05:12 AM
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 13:35:44 -0600, "Dark Knight"
> scribed:

>I agree with Rodney - never heard anything negative about the Porta-Boat,
>and in fact intend to purchase the 12' version next year. I've seen this
>folding boat at a few trade shows now, and I'm convinced that in it's size,
>there's nothing better.
>
>For more information, check out the www.porta-baot.com website.
>
>As for the Hobie, it is a super cool idea, and it always gets a lot of
>attention at the trade shows. I would consider one of these if I spent a
>fair amount of time fishing by myself, but if I'm on the water, it's usually
>with my wife and/or kids and/or friends and/or staff and/or clients
>and/or... (Perhaps I need to fish by myself every once in awhile...)

----snip----

Corrected link: http://www.porta-boat.com/

Dark Paladin
October 8th, 2003, 12:24 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Robb. (Note to self: Double check my spelling
in future...)

DK

"Robb Nunya" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 13:35:44 -0600, "Dark Knight"
> > scribed:
>
> >I agree with Rodney - never heard anything negative about the Porta-Boat,
> >and in fact intend to purchase the 12' version next year. I've seen this
> >folding boat at a few trade shows now, and I'm convinced that in it's
size,
> >there's nothing better.
> >
> >For more information, check out the www.porta-baot.com website.
> >
> >As for the Hobie, it is a super cool idea, and it always gets a lot of
> >attention at the trade shows. I would consider one of these if I spent a
> >fair amount of time fishing by myself, but if I'm on the water, it's
usually
> >with my wife and/or kids and/or friends and/or staff and/or clients
> >and/or... (Perhaps I need to fish by myself every once in awhile...)
> >
> ----snip----
>
> Corrected link: http://www.porta-boat.com/

October 15th, 2003, 11:48 PM
"Dark Knight" > wrote:

> For more information, check out the www.porta-baot.com website.

That website leads me to the one obvious question; why are they so damned
evasive about the prices? Do they make up a new price for each customer,
or does it just change so often that their webmaster can't keep up?

--
Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH

Dark Knight
October 18th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Although I have no official - or even unofficial - connection to the
company, I would suspect that they allow their dealers to set their own
prices, so they don't interfere by post one.

DK

> wrote in message
> "Dark Knight" > wrote:
>
> > For more information, check out the www.porta-baot.com website.
>
> That website leads me to the one obvious question; why are they so damned
> evasive about the prices? Do they make up a new price for each customer,
> or does it just change so often that their webmaster can't keep up?
>
> --
> Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH

Mike Bernardoni
January 22nd, 2004, 04:07 AM
Right now I fish out of a large oversize PIROGUE that I built that was
designed for me by a boat designer out of Oregon. It is a two man boat.
Can get me in places to shallow for regular boats and very stable. If
anyone is interested I can e-mail you specifics. Thanks!! Remove the
nospam from my e-mail Mike
***Grab your pig’s feet, bread, and gin,
there’s plenty in the kitchen.
I wonder what the poor people are eating
tonight?
Albert J."Fats" Waller***