PDA

View Full Version : Rag Worm storage

fox66
May 1st, 2006, 12:34 PM
I buy rag worm at least once a week but end up tipping a lot over the side
at the end of a trip. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to keep rag worm
for a week or more in the shed?
Also where do you buy you rag from shops or internet
Paul

Eric The Viking
May 1st, 2006, 07:07 PM
"fox66" > wrote in message
>I buy rag worm at least once a week but end up tipping a lot over the side
>at the end of a trip. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to keep rag worm
>for a week or more in the shed?
> Also where do you buy you rag from shops or internet
> Paul

Best way to keep it is as you buy it, in vermiculite or peat wrapped in
newspaper. Put the newspaper packets in plastic bags and store them in the
fridge. Should keep for over a week this way. Also a good idea to change the
newspaper every few days if you can.

Other way is to keep them in sea water with an aerator like you'd find on a
fish tank.

--
ETV

H. Neary
May 2nd, 2006, 08:03 PM
On Mon, 1 May 2006 19:07:15 +0100, "Eric The Viking"
> wrote:

>"fox66" > wrote in message
>>I buy rag worm at least once a week but end up tipping a lot over the side
>>at the end of a trip. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to keep rag worm
>>for a week or more in the shed?
>> Also where do you buy you rag from shops or internet
>> Paul
>
>Best way to keep it is as you buy it, in vermiculite or peat wrapped in
>newspaper. Put the newspaper packets in plastic bags and store them in the
>fridge. Should keep for over a week this way. Also a good idea to change the
>newspaper every few days if you can.
>
>Other way is to keep them in sea water with an aerator like you'd find on a
>fish tank.

Can they be bred in captivity? I

HN

Steve Walker
May 2nd, 2006, 08:32 PM
In message >, H. Neary
> writes

>Can they be bred in captivity? I

Yes, and they are now farmed commercially, but it's not a simple matter:

http://www.mikeladle.com/tackle/tackle98.html

Beyond the scope of the hobbyist, I suspect.

--
Steve Walker

H. Neary
May 2nd, 2006, 10:10 PM
On Tue, 2 May 2006 20:32:45 +0100, Steve Walker
> wrote:

>In message >, H. Neary
> writes
>
>>Can they be bred in captivity? I
>
>Yes, and they are now farmed commercially, but it's not a simple matter:
>
>http://www.mikeladle.com/tackle/tackle98.html
>
>Beyond the scope of the hobbyist, I suspect.

Shucks It looks like I must keep on buying them :-(

Thanks for the pointer, it's a fascinating collection of articles.

Regards

HN