PDA

View Full Version : help on smoothounds

Pyrotech
June 1st, 2006, 04:08 PM
Hi guys (and girls, don't want to called sexist)
need some advice on beach fishing for smoothies.
Rigs for peeler crabs.
If anyone out there fishes Pagham beach then a few tips on marks etc
would be tops.

Steve Walker
June 1st, 2006, 04:31 PM
In message om>,
Pyrotech > writes
>Hi guys (and girls, don't want to called sexist)
>need some advice on beach fishing for smoothies.
>Rigs for peeler crabs.
>If anyone out there fishes Pagham beach then a few tips on marks etc
>would be tops.

I caught my first one a couple of weeks ago, deliberately targeting
them. That was using a large whole peeler on a pulley rig. 6oz lead,
60lb shock leader, 30lb hooklength, 15lb mainline, 4/0 hooks rigged
Pennel-style.

--
Steve Walker

Pyrotech
June 1st, 2006, 04:42 PM
Cheers Steve
was that off the beach?
if so what sort of snood length ?
how far out?
where?

P.S. well done on the smoothie, its nice to catch a different species
as i well know, i got my first dogfish off Bognor pier last night-well
pleased.
Cheers Colin

Steve Walker
June 1st, 2006, 04:59 PM
In message om>,
Pyrotech > writes

>Cheers Steve
>was that off the beach?

Yes, that was from the Stokes end of Browndown Bay, near Lee-On-Solent.

>if so what sort of snood length ?

About 3-4 feet from the swivel to the hook.

>how far out?

100 yards or so, possibly a little further. I don't know whether that
was really necessary, I was fishing another rod close in but that was
fishing smaller baits. I was getting bites further out so I stuck with
it.

>P.S. well done on the smoothie, its nice to catch a different species
>as i well know, i got my first dogfish off Bognor pier last night-well
>pleased.

Well done! It's always nice to add a new one to the list.

--
Steve Walker