PDA

View Full Version : Golden trout

Dennis
January 18th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Hi,
I'm looking for a place to catch golden trout in Calif.
that don't require hiking.

Dennis

January 19th, 2004, 04:51 AM
Than your going to have to hire an outfitter with horses, the Golden is a
very high up, sensitive to his environment type fish that likes his privacy.
The upper Kern River has some but I believe they are protected and you still
need to hike some but they were the closest ones I know about to a road. The
minimum I've had to go in is at least 20 miles.

Sierra fisher
February 2nd, 2004, 05:02 PM
The easiest golden trout to catch takesa bit of a hike, but the hike is
worth it. It is in the Twenty Lakes Bain near the east gate of Yosemite.
You go up the Tioga Pass road to Ellery lake and go north about 5 miles to
Saddlebag Lake. there you pay about $8 for a round trip ferry ride across
the Lake. On the other side is one of the prettiest areas in the Sierra.
The trail is easy to walk (eventhough you're above 10,000') and about half
of the lakes have goldens. Other lakes have rainbows and brook trout. The
stream flowing out of Saddleback has browns.
Early in the year, you use black midbes, later caddis, royal cachmen and
Adams. The lake is open from about the first of July tothe end of Sept.

Another area is nearLevitt Lake. Take HWy 108. When you get in view of the
lake, veer off to the right (west) and drive as far as you can. Then it is
a shor t hike to two small lakes that have goldens. If you're energetic.
Hike up the mountain to the west to Latopie Lake, but it is a 1,000'
vertical. It als has goldens. The stream out of this area back to the
highway also has goldens. the two small lakes are called something like
Koenig.

> wrote in message
ink.net...
> Than your going to have to hire an outfitter with horses, the Golden is a
> very high up, sensitive to his environment type fish that likes his
privacy.
> The upper Kern River has some but I believe they are protected and you
still
> need to hike some but they were the closest ones I know about to a road.
The
> minimum I've had to go in is at least 20 miles.

---