PDA

View Full Version : Fishing from a yacht

Jeff
November 5th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Hi chaps,
I'm sailor and not really a fisherman. Some years ago I was with a
bloke on a Yacht, he had a bit of wood about 9 inches by 3 inches that
he towed behind the boat. The wood was rigged so that it was held below
the surface untill a fish grabbed it, this caused it to trip and then
it rose to the surface. I had never seen one before and have never seen
one since
I am doing a crossing from the West Indies to the Med and thru to the
Adriatic and some nice fresh fish would supplimennt the rations, anyone
got any designs one of these.
Thanks
Jeff

Clint Sharp
November 5th, 2006, 10:37 PM
In message om>, Jeff
> writes
>Hi chaps,
>I'm sailor and not really a fisherman. Some years ago I was with a
>bloke on a Yacht, he had a bit of wood about 9 inches by 3 inches that
>he towed behind the boat. The wood was rigged so that it was held below
>the surface untill a fish grabbed it, this caused it to trip and then
>it rose to the surface. I had never seen one before and have never seen
>one since
>I am doing a crossing from the West Indies to the Med and thru to the
>Adriatic and some nice fresh fish would supplimennt the rations, anyone
>got any designs one of these.
>Thanks
>Jeff

No, but I'll tell you what, take me with you and I'll design and refine
as we travel!
--
Clint Sharp

Derek Moody
November 6th, 2006, 01:04 AM
In article om>, Jeff
> wrote:
> Hi chaps,
> I'm sailor and not really a fisherman. Some years ago I was with a
> bloke on a Yacht, he had a bit of wood about 9 inches by 3 inches that
> he towed behind the boat. The wood was rigged so that it was held below
> the surface untill a fish grabbed it, this caused it to trip and then
> it rose to the surface. I had never seen one before and have never seen
> one since
> I am doing a crossing from the West Indies to the Med and thru to the
> Adriatic and some nice fresh fish would supplimennt the rations, anyone
> got any designs one of these.

It's a paravane. It works like an otterboard or underwater kite. When a
fish takes the lure attached to the 'tail' it collapses the diving angle and
the whole lot rises to the surface. An alternative is a -spherical- lead
which tends to be a better hooker but does not rise so neatly. If you just
want the odd fresh meal and don't mind missing a few then a selection of
paravanes would be fine. You don't say which port you're sailing from but
anywhere with a sport fishing fleet will have mass produced paravanes
available - they use big ones for billfishing and small ones to catch bait.
Ask one of the skippers where they buy them. Get several (cheaper by the
dozen?) as you'll lose a few to sharks.

Make sure you specify -diving- paravanes, there are also types designed to
stay at the surface and take a line out parallel with the boat to prevent
tangling when several surface lines are trailed at once.

I have some basic info for yachtsmen available via my site (below) - meant
for UK coastal day-sailors rather then blue waters but it might be useful.

Have fun,

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Steven Crook
November 6th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Jeff wrote:

> Hi chaps,
> I'm sailor and not really a fisherman. Some years ago I was with a
> bloke on a Yacht, he had a bit of wood about 9 inches by 3 inches that
> he towed behind the boat. The wood was rigged so that it was held below
> the surface untill a fish grabbed it, this caused it to trip and then
> it rose to the surface. I had never seen one before and have never seen
> one since
> I am doing a crossing from the West Indies to the Med and thru to the
> Adriatic and some nice fresh fish would supplimennt the rations, anyone
> got any designs one of these.
> Thanks
> Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I have seen a homemade one but forget the details of where
the line was attached etc..
As you have a yacht another few quid won't make much
difference...
They are called paravanes and a quick Google found this...
there are others of course...

http://www.sharnbrooktackle.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Stim_Paravanes_87.html

Happy fishing..

Steve
Landlocked in Salisbury

Neil
November 6th, 2006, 10:14 AM
"Jeff" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi chaps,
> I'm sailor and not really a fisherman. Some years ago I was with a
> bloke on a Yacht, he had a bit of wood about 9 inches by 3 inches that
> he towed behind the boat. The wood was rigged so that it was held below
> the surface untill a fish grabbed it, this caused it to trip and then
> it rose to the surface. I had never seen one before and have never seen
> one since
> I am doing a crossing from the West Indies to the Med and thru to the
> Adriatic and some nice fresh fish would supplimennt the rations, anyone
> got any designs one of these.
> Thanks
> Jeff

Only time I've ever seen these used was on a mackerel fishing/pleasure trip
from one of the Cornish ports many years ago. They don't seem to use them
these days.

Jeff
November 6th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Clint
Sounds like a good idea Clint, can you guarantee to catch the fish?
Jeff
Clint Sharp wrote:
> In message om>, Jeff
> > writes
> >Hi chaps,
> >I'm sailor and not really a fisherman. Some years ago I was with a
> >bloke on a Yacht, he had a bit of wood about 9 inches by 3 inches that
> >he towed behind the boat. The wood was rigged so that it was held below
> >the surface untill a fish grabbed it, this caused it to trip and then
> >it rose to the surface. I had never seen one before and have never seen
> >one since
> >I am doing a crossing from the West Indies to the Med and thru to the
> >Adriatic and some nice fresh fish would supplimennt the rations, anyone
> >got any designs one of these.
> >Thanks
> >Jeff
> >
> No, but I'll tell you what, take me with you and I'll design and refine
> as we travel!
> --
> Clint Sharp

Jeff
November 6th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Steve,
That looks interesting, thanks for the reply, gosh things are hi tech
now, as I said, I remember a bit of wood
Jeff
Steven Crook wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
>
> > Hi chaps,
> > I'm sailor and not really a fisherman. Some years ago I was with a
> > bloke on a Yacht, he had a bit of wood about 9 inches by 3 inches that
> > he towed behind the boat. The wood was rigged so that it was held below
> > the surface untill a fish grabbed it, this caused it to trip and then
> > it rose to the surface. I had never seen one before and have never seen
> > one since
> > I am doing a crossing from the West Indies to the Med and thru to the
> > Adriatic and some nice fresh fish would supplimennt the rations, anyone
> > got any designs one of these.
> > Thanks
> > Jeff
> >

> Hi Jeff,
>
> I have seen a homemade one but forget the details of where
> the line was attached etc..
> As you have a yacht another few quid won't make much
> difference...
> They are called paravanes and a quick Google found this...
> there are others of course...
>
> http://www.sharnbrooktackle.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Stim_Paravanes_87.html
>
> Happy fishing..
>
> Steve
> Landlocked in Salisbury

Clint Sharp
November 6th, 2006, 10:36 PM
In message >, Neil >
writes

>Only time I've ever seen these used was on a mackerel fishing/pleasure trip
>from one of the Cornish ports many years ago. They don't seem to use them
>these days.
Still see them off St Ives sometimes.

--
Clint Sharp

Jeff
November 7th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Derek Moody wrote:
> In article om>, Jeff
> > wrote:
> > Hi chaps,
> > I'm sailor and not really a fisherman. Some years ago I was with a
> > bloke on a Yacht, he had a bit of wood about 9 inches by 3 inches that
> > he towed behind the boat. The wood was rigged so that it was held below
> > the surface untill a fish grabbed it, this caused it to trip and then
> > it rose to the surface. I had never seen one before and have never seen
> > one since
> > I am doing a crossing from the West Indies to the Med and thru to the
> > Adriatic and some nice fresh fish would supplimennt the rations, anyone
> > got any designs one of these.
>
> It's a paravane. It works like an otterboard or underwater kite. When a
> fish takes the lure attached to the 'tail' it collapses the diving angle and
> the whole lot rises to the surface. An alternative is a -spherical- lead
> which tends to be a better hooker but does not rise so neatly. If you just
> want the odd fresh meal and don't mind missing a few then a selection of
> paravanes would be fine. You don't say which port you're sailing from but
> anywhere with a sport fishing fleet will have mass produced paravanes
> available - they use big ones for billfishing and small ones to catch bait.
> Ask one of the skippers where they buy them. Get several (cheaper by the
> dozen?) as you'll lose a few to sharks.
>
> Make sure you specify -diving- paravanes, there are also types designed to
> stay at the surface and take a line out parallel with the boat to prevent
> tangling when several surface lines are trailed at once.
>
> I have some basic info for yachtsmen available via my site (below) - meant
> for UK coastal day-sailors rather then blue waters but it might be useful.
>
> Have fun,
>
> Cheerio,
>

> --
> Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
> Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/
> uk.rec.fishing.game Badge Page:
> http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/urfg/

Hi Derek,
Thanks for the reply, think i've tracked some down both on Ebay and
from Tacklebargains.co.uk. When you know its name, its quite easy to
find.
I suppose mackerel spoons are the bait of choice for the chance of a
bite from most fish?
jeff

Derek Moody
November 7th, 2006, 03:18 PM
In article . com>, Jeff
> wrote:
>
> Derek Moody wrote:
> > In article om>, Jeff
> > > wrote:

> > > I am doing a crossing from the West Indies to the Med and thru to the
> > > Adriatic and some nice fresh fish would supplimennt the rations, anyone
> > > got any designs one of these.
> >
> > It's a paravane. It works like an otterboard or underwater kite. When a

> I suppose mackerel spoons are the bait of choice for the chance of a
> bite from most fish?

A rotating lure is OK for a while but no matter what you do it will cause
kinking eventually and you may be trailing it for days on end (in mid
Atlantic there will be areas almost devoid of fish then suddenly you find
huge mixed shoals.) My first choice for smaller fish would be redgill-type
sandeel lures - take a selection of sizes. Next a selection of soft plastic
shads and - only if you are rigging to a big-game rod and willing to take
way off if a big fish hits, a Kona head or similar big slider on a steel
trace. If you find a big shoal of small fish hook one of those, live, and
trail it behind an 80lb test rod and you might get a billfish or big tuna.
Do you ship a pan big enough to fry a six-foot fillet?

Hth. Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/
uk.rec.fishing.game Badge Page:
http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/urfg/

Keith Lewis
November 9th, 2006, 10:08 AM
"Jeff" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Steve,
> That looks interesting, thanks for the reply, gosh things are hi tech
> now, as I said, I remember a bit of wood
> Jeff
> Steven Crook wrote:
>> Jeff wrote:
>>
>> > Hi chaps,
>> > I'm sailor and not really a fisherman. Some years ago I was with a
>> > bloke on a Yacht, he had a bit of wood about 9 inches by 3 inches that
>> > he towed behind the boat. The wood was rigged so that it was held below
>> > the surface untill a fish grabbed it, this caused it to trip and then
>> > it rose to the surface. I had never seen one before and have never seen
>> > one since
>> > I am doing a crossing from the West Indies to the Med and thru to the
>> > Adriatic and some nice fresh fish would supplimennt the rations, anyone
>> > got any designs one of these.
>> > Thanks
>> > Jeff
>> >

>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> I have seen a homemade one but forget the details of where
>> the line was attached etc..
>> As you have a yacht another few quid won't make much
>> difference...
>> They are called paravanes and a quick Google found this...
>> there are others of course...
>>
>> http://www.sharnbrooktackle.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Stim_Paravanes_87.html

Malcolm at Anglesey Bait Centre (by Gallows Point - Beaumaris) knows all
about it.

He fixed us up with a paravane for a Biscay crossing. It worked fine but
didn't catch anything.

Keith

Jeff
November 10th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Keith Lewis wrote:

> "Jeff" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Steve,
> > That looks interesting, thanks for the reply, gosh things are hi tech
> > now, as I said, I remember a bit of wood
> > Jeff
> > Steven Crook wrote:

> >> Hi Jeff,
> >>
> >> I have seen a homemade one but forget the details of where
> >> the line was attached etc..
> >> As you have a yacht another few quid won't make much
> >> difference...
> >> They are called paravanes and a quick Google found this...
> >> there are others of course...
> >>
> >> http://www.sharnbrooktackle.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Stim_Paravanes_87.html
> >>
> Malcolm at Anglesey Bait Centre (by Gallows Point - Beaumaris) knows all
> about it.
>
> He fixed us up with a paravane for a Biscay crossing. It worked fine but
> didn't catch anything.
>
> Keith

Thanks everyone, now got half a dozen of the paravanes, thats probably
more than the number of fish we will catch, Probably catch our prop
which will be fun
jeff