PDA

View Full Version : Re: OT NDC Molly Ivins

Wolfgang
September 19th, 2003, 04:42 PM
"riverman" > wrote in message

> ....No, I don't have kids......

Hm.......

O.K., presumably you at least KNOW somebody who has children......say
a six year old.....male or female, your choice. Is he or she
inherently evil?

> Name three things in the world that are getting better, globally.

No.

Wolfgang

Tim J.
September 19th, 2003, 04:50 PM
"riverman" wrote...

> Name three things in the world that are getting better, globally.

1) Wal-Mart (we gots Super Wal-Marts now!)
2) People recovering from illness
ObROFF:
3) my backcast
--
TL,
Tim

Wolfgang
September 19th, 2003, 04:52 PM
"Jonathan Cook" > wrote in message
m...

> War and killing started with Christianity? You get lots of points
> on that one for originality, but historians would probably disagree
:-)
> IMO Dave's Cain and Abel comment is closer to the truth...

WHAT?!! SOMEBODY KILLED A FISH?! :(

Wolfgang
to whom it occurs that basic literacy might be a starting point.

riverman
September 19th, 2003, 05:01 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "riverman" > wrote in message
> >
> > ....No, I don't have kids......
>
> Hm.......
>
> O.K., presumably you at least KNOW somebody who has children......say
> a six year old.....male or female, your choice. Is he or she
> inherently evil?

Well, they sure were at two!

But of course children have barely come into consciousness and don't have
much capacity to influence the world or the people around them. However,
within their limited ability, I'd say the average six year old is relatively
selfish, demanding, self-centered and has little concern for the welfare of
the world around them. I'd also say that its at this age that they learn
that they are sheltered by their ignorance, and this becomes an overused
lifelong trait. Trying to teach them to be generous, giving, forgiving and
world-wise is a noble effort, but it just doensn't seem to happen as much as
it ought to. We teach them to go out and get what they want. Why do we
always refer to the 'angelic innocence of youth'? Because it goes away,
that's why!

But that's not what I am talking about. There are plenty of individual
people around who are not evil. Mother Theresas, good Samartians (btw, its
worth researching the reputation of the Samaritans..) etc. I'm talking about
humanity as a whole.

> > Name three things in the world that are getting better, globally.
>
> No.

?
Ok, then just think about it.

--riverman
(Arrrrr)

riverman
September 19th, 2003, 05:08 PM
"Tim J." > wrote in message

> "riverman" wrote...
>
> > Name three things in the world that are getting better, globally.
>
> 1) Wal-Mart (we gots Super Wal-Marts now!)

I'll leave that one alone.

> 2) People recovering from illness

Globally??? You called your insurance agent lately to see what coverage you
have? Why are medical cost soaring? Why do millions of people in Congo, etc,
die yearly from easily preventable diseases? How many altruistic medical
organizations do YOU know of? People recovering from illness is a
side-effect of a huge medical machinery that is not driven by curing people:
its driven by the profit motive. Otherwise, medicine would be a whole lot
cheaper, and a lot more people worldwide would be recovering from illness.
You might as well say military machinery is getting better.

> ObROFF:
> 3) my backcast

OK, I'll grant you that. People are inherently neither good nor evil because
your backcast is improving.
:-/

--riverman

slenon
September 19th, 2003, 05:16 PM
>> Rather than causing it, IMO Christianity _explains_ it... quite well,
too...

>And does more than its share in contributing to it, while blaming everyone
else FOR it!
>--riverman

It gets one of my votes. But the economic components of all wars should not
be ignored. Even the Islamic fundamentalists want their piece of the money
pie to be increased.

And if you doubt the inherent evil of mankind, just think back to high
school.

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

Wolfgang
September 19th, 2003, 05:25 PM
"riverman" > wrote in message

> ....But that's not what I am talking about.....

Well, maybe some day we can both talk about the same thing.

Wolfgang

riverman
September 19th, 2003, 05:27 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "riverman" > wrote in message
> >
> > ....But that's not what I am talking about.....
>
> Well, maybe some day we can both talk about the same thing.

Yeah, maybe someday....someday......

Hey, we're doing it NOW!

--riverman
(I like a happy ending)

Joe
September 19th, 2003, 05:57 PM
In rec.music.gdead volkfolk > wrote:

>> At the risk of starting a cross-newsgroup flame fest, how does an rmgd
>> Dead Head join the "Ken Fortenberry Fan Club"?

> Maybe you guys can go steady?

Ding, ding, ding! And, you wonder why you are the object of my derision
and ridicule?

Tim J.
September 19th, 2003, 06:02 PM
"riverman" wrote...

> "Tim J." wrote...
<snipped the serious stuff from the World's Longest Lasting Thread (thanks,
Forty)>
> > ObROFF:
> > 3) my backcast
>
> OK, I'll grant you that. People are inherently neither good nor evil because
> your backcast is improving.

Today's lesson on good and evil is:

Evil: They are evil if they watch and can therefore disprove my statement.
Good: My backcast is good only when nobody's watching.
--
HTH,
Tim

volkfolk
September 19th, 2003, 06:08 PM
"Joe" > wrote in message
> In rec.music.gdead volkfolk > wrote:
>
> >> At the risk of starting a cross-newsgroup flame fest, how does an rmgd
> >> Dead Head join the "Ken Fortenberry Fan Club"?
>
> > Maybe you guys can go steady?
>
> Ding, ding, ding! And, you wonder why you are the object of my derision
> and ridicule?

Sorry, I forgot to add:

NTTAWWT

Better?

Scot

Dave LaCourse
September 19th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Riverman writes:

>No, I don't have kids, because I really do see the world going to hell in a
>handbasket, and I don't want to introduce more people into it, and I
>especially don't want to dump people I love and have hopes and dreams for
>into a sinking ship. If I were born maybe 20 years earlier, I think I'd have
>had kids in an effort to educate them to try to stem the tide, but now I
>truly and deeply think its too late.

I have two daughters, age 41 and 36. It was very difficult raising them when I
was in the military, but they learned well what was right and wrong, good and
bad, good and evil. They learned that their mother and I disciplined them out
of love, not hate. They turned out to be fantastic kids, never giving us a day
of heartsick. Now they have their children (five between the two), and
thankfully those kids are being raised the same way.

I would find it almost impossible to raise a child in today's atmosphere.
Sometimes it's great to be old. I pray my daughters continue their great job.

>Unlike most folks, I've been around a
>lot, and I've seen the wilderness, the cities, and the diverse people of the
>world. They're f**king it up, and there's more of them than ever, and they
>are better at it than ever.

I've been in some dirt poor countries where poverty is the norm, places where
most Americans would be afraid to go, yet they were the nicest people I've
ever met and lived with. Central America, Panama, South America, Portugal,
Spain, Azores, Phillipines - and each place relied heavily on their religion to
make and keep them peacful and warm. Might be something to it.....

>Name three things in the world that are getting better, globally.

Communications - which may or may not be good.

Dave

Joe
September 19th, 2003, 06:53 PM
In rec.music.gdead volkfolk > wrote:

> Joe and I vehemently disagree with each other politically, but I have no
> trouble understanding what he is saying

> I think is somewhare to the left of Fidel Castro and Joseph Stalin, but I
> understand what he is daying perfectly.

What? What did you day?

Ken Janik
September 19th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Dave LaCourse > says...
> Riverman writes:
>
> >No, I don't have kids, because I really do see the world going to hell in a
> >handbasket, and I don't want to introduce more people into it, and I
> >especially don't want to dump people I love and have hopes and dreams for
> >into a sinking ship. If I were born maybe 20 years earlier, I think I'd have
> >had kids in an effort to educate them to try to stem the tide, but now I
> >truly and deeply think its too late.
>
> I have two daughters, age 41 and 36. It was very difficult raising them when I
> was in the military, but they learned well what was right and wrong, good and
> bad, good and evil. They learned that their mother and I disciplined them out
> of love, not hate. They turned out to be fantastic kids, never giving us a day
> of heartsick. Now they have their children (five between the two), and
> thankfully those kids are being raised the same way.
>
> I would find it almost impossible to raise a child in today's atmosphere.
> Sometimes it's great to be old. I pray my daughters continue their great job.

BAH! I think today's troubles get overstated by the "take no responsibility"
whiners. There are very few things (in a kid's world) that are worse today
than when I was a kid. I mean, if people won't take the responsibility for
raising the kids they bring into this world then it's no one's fault but
the parents.

If they don't want to take responsibility that's fine, but birth control is
pretty damn easy in the western world.
- Ken

Dave LaCourse
September 19th, 2003, 09:15 PM
Ken Janik writes:

>BAH! I think today's troubles get overstated by the "take no responsibility"
>
>whiners. There are very few things (in a kid's world) that are worse today
>than when I was a kid. I mean, if people won't take the responsibility for
>raising the kids they bring into this world then it's no one's fault but
>the parents.
>
>If they don't want to take responsibility that's fine, but birth control is
>pretty damn easy in the western world.
> - Ken

You are obviously correct; it is a parenting problem, or lack of parenting.
But I imagine it's a helluva lot harder today than it was 40 years ago. Back
then a BJ was sex, drugs weren't as rampant, and there wasn't any kids in
school with guns.

Tim J.
September 19th, 2003, 09:35 PM
"Dave LaCourse" wrote...
> Ken Janik writes:
>
> >BAH! I think today's troubles get overstated by the "take no responsibility"
> >
> >whiners. There are very few things (in a kid's world) that are worse today
> >than when I was a kid. I mean, if people won't take the responsibility for
> >raising the kids they bring into this world then it's no one's fault but
> >the parents.
> >
> >If they don't want to take responsibility that's fine, but birth control is
> >pretty damn easy in the western world.
> > - Ken
>
> You are obviously correct; it is a parenting problem, or lack of parenting.
> But I imagine it's a helluva lot harder today than it was 40 years ago. Back
> then a BJ was sex, drugs weren't as rampant, and there wasn't any kids in
> school with guns.

I dunno, Dave. 40 years ago puts us smack dab in the early-mid-sixties. LSD was
touted as "mind-expanding", and heroin and opium were making a big comeback.
"Free love" was becoming the "in" thing and <choke> hard rock was having its
coming out party. The Black Panthers and SLA were starting to form, and the
Vietnam War was getting in gear. Ah, memories. It may be that time has softened
the view of the past for you a bit, but it wasn't all niceness and sweetness.
--
TL,
Tim

Ken Janik
September 19th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Dave LaCourse > says...
> Ken Janik writes:
>
> >BAH! I think today's troubles get overstated by the "take no responsibility"
> >
> >whiners. There are very few things (in a kid's world) that are worse today
> >than when I was a kid. I mean, if people won't take the responsibility for
> >raising the kids they bring into this world then it's no one's fault but
> >the parents.
> >
> >If they don't want to take responsibility that's fine, but birth control is
> >pretty damn easy in the western world.
> > - Ken
>
> You are obviously correct; it is a parenting problem, or lack of parenting.
> But I imagine it's a helluva lot harder today than it was 40 years ago. Back
> then a BJ was sex, drugs weren't as rampant, and there wasn't any kids in
> school with guns.

It's also important to note the reference point difference between the
two of us. When I was a kid is a long time removed from when you were. :-)

All the problems you list were worse (IMHO) when I was a kid than they
are now. I'm sure they were a whole lot better when you were a kid....
.....did they even have guns back then?

R&D,
- Ken

Wayne Harrison
September 19th, 2003, 09:50 PM
"slenon" > wrote

> And if you doubt the inherent evil of mankind, just think back to high
> school.

hilarious; and true as daylight coming again.

if you could just have seen becky oakley's legs, you would have forgiven
me...

yfitons
wayno

slenon
September 19th, 2003, 10:06 PM
> hilarious; and true as daylight coming again.

> if you could just have seen becky oakley's legs, you would have forgiven
me...

Truth be, there was a nice young teacher who taught some course I was
required to take. Most of the senior class males would have mopped her
floor with their tongues if she asked them. Then she and one of the
underling coaches were suddenly both out of a job without explanation.

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

Stan Gula
September 19th, 2003, 10:13 PM
"Tim J." > wrote:
> . . . and a BJ is STILL sex, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Geez. Don't you ever work?

Tim J.
September 19th, 2003, 10:37 PM
"Stan Gula" wrote...
> "Tim J." wrote:
> > . . . and a BJ is STILL sex, not that there's anything wrong with that.
>
> Geez. Don't you ever work?

Today I had *rough* hours. If it wasn't for a freakin' contract programmer
coming in this afternoon, I could have been fishing.
--
TL,
Tim

Stan Gula
September 19th, 2003, 11:00 PM
"Tim J." > wrote:
> I almost forgot - Don't YOU ever work? ;-)

In fact, no! But occasionally I can scam people into paying me anyways.
Thank goodness (or evil?) there's everlasting ****ing contests on ROFF to
keep me entertained. Arrr. Pass the rum!

Jeff Miller
September 20th, 2003, 01:31 AM
yup, didn't think the goodness thing rang true, esp. after i witnessed
your attractive quality for flies...<g> but, well and rightly spoke,
imo... sorry to see cross-legged words writ between you and laplac as
well, but satisfied neither of you is workin for evil. ;)

jeff (lions and lambs, and cheese, peas, and puddinheads are ok by me...
but, no fukkin pasty or olive things...them are truly evil)

Wolfgang wrote:

> "Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in
> message .com...
>

>>....Is man by nature good or evil ? Wolfie says good....
>

> Wolfie says no such thing. If Wolfie believed that he would rest
> content to let man's inherent goodness sort things out in it's own
> sweet time. Wolfie believes you make informed choices, in which case
> you work for good or evil, or you simply allow prejudices, hatred,
> ignorance, and an aversion to simple truths make choices for you, in
> which case you work for good or evil.
>
> Wolfgang
> choose away, boys and girls.

Dave LaCourse
September 20th, 2003, 02:45 AM
Ken Janik writes:

>.did they even have guns back then?

<G> Crossbows were just coming in.

Wayne Knight
September 20th, 2003, 03:12 AM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message

> greg, your shirts are in the mail.
>
> for the firm

wtf is mine?

Wayne Harrison
September 20th, 2003, 03:39 AM
"Wayne Knight" > wrote in message
om...

> "Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message
> >
> > greg, your shirts are in the mail.
> >
> > for the firm
> >

> wtf is mine?

first time i heard of your need...

xxl?

yfitons
wayno (and i need an addy)

JR
September 20th, 2003, 09:34 AM
"Tim J." wrote:

> "riverman" wrote...
>
> > Name three things in the world that are getting better, globally.
>
> 1) Wal-Mart (we gots Super Wal-Marts now!)

That's a riot. The Wal-Marting of America is playing havoc with the
lives of America's workers, driving down wages and driving out
alternative sources of employment. Yeah, the world will be a LOT better
place when--if you don't have a university degree (and maybe if you
do)--the only place to work will be Hyper-Mega-Wal-Mart and the only
stuff you can afford to buy is the crap sold there.

JR
who was feeling pretty good (except for the MicroSoft Security Patch
spams and the fact that Elvis is still dead, of course) until I logged
on here and had to think about Wal-Mart....

JR
September 20th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Jonathan Cook wrote:

> War and killing started with Christianity?

Little know fact... like sex beginning in the late 60s and C&R fishing
beginning when Lee Wulff passed me the torch.

JR
-Boy Revisionist

Wolfgang
September 20th, 2003, 01:37 PM
"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message

> yup, didn't think the goodness thing rang true, esp. after i witnessed
> your attractive quality for flies...<g>

Nature, God, or [insert universal motive force of choice here] is beneficent
in that he/she/it has given us eyes that peer outward. If flies be Satans
beloved, then the evidence presented to my gaze suggests that while he
displayed a certain understandable interest in me, he found a home on thee.

If memory serves, there exists documentary evidence of that memorable
outing. As a public service, you might consider posting that somewhere for
the benefit of aspiring piscators........show the newbies why it's called
"fly" fishing.

> but, well and rightly spoke,
> imo... sorry to see cross-legged words writ between you and laplac as
> well, but satisfied neither of you is workin for evil. ;)

Well, not full time, anyway.

> jeff (lions and lambs, and cheese, peas, and puddinheads are ok by me...
> but, no fukkin pasty or olive things...them are truly evil)

Olives, like beer, are proof that God loves us and wants us to be
happy.......and you DID eat the pasty. :)

Wolfgang

Jeff Miller
September 20th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Wolfgang wrote:

and you DID eat the pasty. :)

actually...just sampled it. no way i could eat that whole thing. it was
like vomit wrapped and cooked in a dough sack. i tossed it as soon as i
could and washed my mouth out with a beer, or ten. only a ham salad
concoction prepared by rachel some years ago has ever made me suffer a
stronger pavlovian gag response at the mere thought of the damn stuff...

and btw, i posted the photos of you and yer minion in may upon my return
from yoop...titled "lord of the flies".

jeff

September 20th, 2003, 11:01 PM
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:50:31 GMT, "Wayne Harrison"
> wrote:

> hilarious; and true as daylight coming again.
>
> if you could just have seen becky oakley's legs, you would have forgiven
>me...

I sense a fixation here. That's not the first time you've mentioned
the estimable Ms. Oakley.

Personally, I think evil originated with the designated hitter rule,
the advent of ketchup, and the creation of American pilsener.

Mike S. Medintz >
"if one feels compelled to wear a sweatshirt over one's bikini for an
"after" pic, it's probably not really an after." -Sarah Jane, in m.f.w

Wayne Harrison
September 21st, 2003, 02:44 AM
> wrote in message
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:50:31 GMT, "Wayne Harrison"
> > wrote:
>
> > hilarious; and true as daylight coming again.
> >
> > if you could just have seen becky oakley's legs, you would have
forgiven
> >me...
>
> I sense a fixation here. That's not the first time you've mentioned
> the estimable Ms. Oakley.

ah, right you are, poleece; and, thank god, i will never see her as a
sixty year old woman.

yfitons
wayno (and, yeah, i know, she won't have to see me...)

Wolfgang
September 21st, 2003, 02:51 AM

> Wolfgang wrote:
>
> and you DID eat the pasty. :)
> >

> actually...just sampled it. no way i could eat that whole thing. it was
> like vomit wrapped and cooked in a dough sack. i tossed it as soon as i
> could and washed my mouth out with a beer, or ten. only a ham salad
> concoction prepared by rachel some years ago has ever made me suffer a
> stronger pavlovian gag response at the mere thought of the damn stuff...

Uh huh. I was there! :)

As to the beer or ten........only thing I've ever seen caused you to do
something like that was daylight.......um......well, that and dark.

> and btw, i posted the photos of you and yer minion in may upon my return
> from yoop...titled "lord of the flies".

Prolly on that whatchamacallit AFPB or whatever the hell it is........we
don't get that up here in civilized country where badgers eats tarbabies or
whateverthehell you calls 'em.

Wolfgang
who would be ever so grateful if someone possessed of one'a them new fangled
camera thingies were to send documentary evidence of northern excursions to
a well known email address......for the archives.

Wolfgang
September 21st, 2003, 02:57 AM
> wrote in message

> ....I think evil originated with the designated hitter rule,
> the advent of ketchup, and the creation of American pilsener.

And spam.....don't forget spam. Um......not the original........I had a
Spam sandwich at the front door of the new exhibition hall at the Curdistan
state fair grounds......straight from the maw of the "official" Spammobile,
weekend before last during the home improvement show.

Sweet ambrosia of the gods!

Wolfgang
first one after many a long hard year of abstinence.........may god have
mercy on my soul. :(

September 21st, 2003, 04:40 AM
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 20:51:15 -0500, "Wolfgang" >
wrote:

>"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
>>

>> Wolfgang wrote:
>>
>> and you DID eat the pasty. :)
>> >

>> actually...just sampled it. no way i could eat that whole thing. it was
>> like vomit wrapped and cooked in a dough sack. i tossed it as soon as i
>> could and washed my mouth out with a beer, or ten. only a ham salad
>> concoction prepared by rachel some years ago has ever made me suffer a
>> stronger pavlovian gag response at the mere thought of the damn stuff...
>
>Uh huh. I was there! :)

So was I. I'd put it much nearer a sample than an eating. I just
found the one I ate completely to be blander than a Scandahoovian
church dinner, not disgusting. But Jeff was, well, disgusted. He
bit, he chewed, he swallowed, he did it again, and then he put it back
in the sack and out of sight.

What's the deal with flies, Jeff? The flies Wolfgang set me amidst
while you guys went off to more interesting (to you) water were
numerous but the only pain I had from them was when they'd prompt me
to swat without thinking and find myself dealing with a sweat bee.
I'm sure real Satan style flies would be bigger, meaner, and leave
lots of welts, which would attract yet more Satanic flies. I have met
some of the latter and have had to pray for dragonflies and wasps to
rescue me.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

September 21st, 2003, 04:46 AM
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:44:24 GMT, "Wayne Harrison"
> wrote:

> ah, right you are, poleece; and, thank god, i will never see her as a
>sixty year old woman.
>
>yfitons
>wayno (and, yeah, i know, she won't have to see me...)

If you didn't look at her face, just her legs, you'd probably go right
back to teen years. The legs can stay great up to 80 or so, if even
slight exercise is given them and there's not much weight gain. Oops.
Or varicose veins. But one can think of them as decoration.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.
Only a fool would refuse to believe in luck. Only a damn fool would rely on it.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Kevin Vang
September 21st, 2003, 05:43 AM
In article <I34bb.1479$sp2.1063@lakeread04>,
says...

> and btw, i posted the photos of you and yer minion

Has Wolfgang been exposing his minion in public again?

Kevin
no, really, I don't need to see it...

Jeff Miller
September 21st, 2003, 01:49 PM
wrote:
But Jeff was, well, disgusted. He
> bit, he chewed, he swallowed, he did it again, and then he put it back
> in the sack and out of sight.

praise da lawd...gotta love a witness who tells the truth. it is a
southern-bred obligation to sample food offered by a host. just one
bite in the host's presence before trashing that gawdawfulvomitus seemed
impolite, but i gotta admit that second bite barely went down...

> What's the deal with flies, Jeff? The flies Wolfgang set me amidst
> while you guys went off to more interesting (to you) water were
> numerous but the only pain I had from them was when they'd prompt me
> to swat without thinking and find myself dealing with a sweat bee.
> I'm sure real Satan style flies would be bigger, meaner, and leave
> lots of welts, which would attract yet more Satanic flies. I have met
> some of the latter and have had to pray for dragonflies and wasps to
> rescue me.

ok, here's the deal. satan doesn't allow his minions to bite those in
the midst of the soul sale thing. you will recall, that as we spent
more time in wolf's company, the less we were troubled and gnawed upon
by the flies...until eventually, they simply landed uponst us for the
ride and to observe the fishing. btw, have any of those bargains you
made with wolfie come true?

jeff (it's those baptist flies that are the meanest, imo)

> --
>
> rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
> Often taunted by trout.
> Only a fool would refuse to believe in luck. Only a damn fool would rely on it.
>
> http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Mu Young Lee
September 23rd, 2003, 02:06 AM
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Tim J. wrote:

> who is tiring of watching *all* of the dick waving on this subject.

The sound of a foreskin flapping in a Montana gale may sound better than a
boombox playing taps - at least to some ears.

Mu
back from a week in Europe and totally comfused.

Wolfgang
September 23rd, 2003, 02:27 AM
"Mu Young Lee" > wrote in message
cc.itd.umich.edu...

> The sound of a foreskin flapping in a Montana gale may sound better than a
> boombox playing taps - at least to some ears.
>
> Mu
> back from a week in Europe and totally comfused.

Mmmmmm.....nope, looks like you're right on track.

Wolfgang
so, how's things overseas?

Guyz-N-Flyz
September 23rd, 2003, 02:30 AM
"Mu Young Lee" > wrote in message
cc.itd.umich.edu...
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Tim J. wrote:
>
> > who is tiring of watching *all* of the dick waving on this subject.
>
> The sound of a foreskin flapping in a Montana gale may sound better than a
> boombox playing taps - at least to some ears.
>
> Mu
> back from a week in Europe and totally comfused.

Mu, I don't think it was your trip to Europe that has you so confused, cause
you've been posting to ROFF for years.

Op --Is it true that the French have American fries, bread, dressing and
CHEESE?--

slenon
September 23rd, 2003, 04:05 AM
>The sound of a foreskin flapping in a Montana gale may sound better than a
>boombox playing taps - at least to some ears.
>Mu

While I don't normally agree with fashion statements, I acknowledge this
one.

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

slenon
September 23rd, 2003, 04:07 AM
>Op --Is it true that the French have American >fries, bread, dressing and
CHEESE?--

Camembert's OK, perhaps, but sample the bris at your own hazard.
----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

B J Conner
September 23rd, 2003, 05:28 AM
"Guyz-N-Flyz" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Mu Young Lee" > wrote in message
> cc.itd.umich.edu...
> > On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Tim J. wrote:
> >
> > > who is tiring of watching *all* of the dick waving on this subject.
> >
> > The sound of a foreskin flapping in a Montana gale may sound better than
> > boombox playing taps - at least to some ears.
> >
> > Mu
> > back from a week in Europe and totally comfused.
>
> Mu, I don't think it was your trip to Europe that has you so confused,
cause
> you've been posting to ROFF for years.
>
> Op --Is it true that the French have American fries, bread, dressing and
> CHEESE?--

They also have the consititutional right to happiness, not just the right to
pursue happiness.

Mu Young Lee
September 23rd, 2003, 07:00 AM
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, riverman wrote:

> ROFLMAO. Forty, you sure come up with some great one-liners! I really like
> the one about the crayon. :-)

<Book of Ken snipped>

Gink would've been proud. -----______------ drift mend drift ... ;)

Mu

Mu Young Lee
September 23rd, 2003, 09:58 AM
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Wolfgang wrote:

> so, how's things overseas?

Warm in Brussels. Hot in Paris. ATM on the Champs Elysee ate my
bankcard. Unfortunately whoever was supposed to be working the helpline
at Citibank France on a Saturday morning decided to just place their phone
on perpetual hold. Took a fellow from the Indian army on a grand tour of
the city. He was especially excited about the Mona Lisa.

Mu

Mu Young Lee
September 23rd, 2003, 10:02 AM
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Guyz-N-Flyz wrote:

> Op --Is it true that the French have American fries, bread, dressing and
> CHEESE?--

I think the French attribute *pomme frites* to the Belgians.
American bread? i dunno.
American dressing is a baseball cap worn backwards.
Cheese? ask Wolfgang.

Mu

Garry Bryan
September 23rd, 2003, 05:58 PM
In rec.music.gdead volkfolk > wrote:

: "Joe" > wrote in message
: ...
:> In rec.music.gdead volkfolk > wrote:
:>
:> > Whatever, I don't seem to have any problems understanding or making
: myself
:> > understood with anyone else.

: Agreeing with someone is NOT the same thing as understanding what someone is
: saying.

And understanding what someone says is not the same as agreeing. . .used to have
to tell my ex-wife that after her umpteenth time of repeating her viewpoint
thinking that once I understood I would suddenly agree. . . :)

Garry

:> Umm, err, excuse me. A clear case of "out of sight, out of mind."
:>
:> Well, buddy boy, I'm rested, and I'm tanned, and I'm ready for Round
:> 10,000 !
:>
:> On your mark, get set, flame!

: Yawn.......

: Scot

volkfolk
September 23rd, 2003, 08:53 PM
"Garry Bryan" > wrote in message
> In rec.music.gdead volkfolk > wrote:
>
> : "Joe" > wrote in message
> : ...
> :> In rec.music.gdead volkfolk > wrote:
> :>
> :> > Whatever, I don't seem to have any problems understanding or making
> : myself
> :> > understood with anyone else.
>
> : Agreeing with someone is NOT the same thing as understanding what
someone is
> : saying.
>
> And understanding what someone says is not the same as agreeing. . .used
to have
> to tell my ex-wife that after her umpteenth time of repeating her
viewpoint
> thinking that once I understood I would suddenly agree. . . :)

LOL, it a hard lesson for some people to learn. But you shouldn't have to
agree with someone about everything in order to get along either.

My wife and I disagree about lots of stuff, but we get along pretty well
most of the time.

The marriage that I can't figure out for the life of me is James Carville
and Mary Matlin. Talk about the classic case study for how opposites
attract.

Scot

George Adams
September 23rd, 2003, 09:26 PM
>From: "volkfolk"

> Talk about the classic case study for how opposites
>attract.

Or how personally committed one or both of them are to their public personnae.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Garry Bryan
September 23rd, 2003, 10:35 PM
In rec.music.gdead volkfolk > wrote:

: "Garry Bryan" > wrote in message
: ...
:> In rec.music.gdead volkfolk > wrote:
:>
:> : "Joe" > wrote in message
:> : ...
:> :> In rec.music.gdead volkfolk > wrote:
:> :>
[...]

But at least they talk and don't play the "there has to be a winner and a loser"
game. . .that **** drives me crazy. . .unless it is something inherently
important that you must cooperate on, why must you have it one way or the other?
Compromise or two things <one tube of toothpaste to squeeze in the middle and
one to roll from the bottom> usually solves it. .. but you have to *talk* about
it and respect the others feelings. . .most conflicts come from one person
*feeling* about something while the other *thinks* about it. . .and sometimes
you just want to be mad for awhile. . .

Garry

Wayne Harrison
September 23rd, 2003, 11:27 PM
"George Adams" > wrote in message
> >From: "volkfolk"
>
> > Talk about the classic case study for how opposites
> >attract.
>
> Or how personally committed one or both of them are to their public
personnae.

> George Adams

there's a lesson in there about our troublesome little pal forty, if you
care to think about it, volks guy.
wayno (not that you would, of course)

volkfolk
September 24th, 2003, 02:02 AM
"Garry Bryan" > wrote in message
> In rec.music.gdead volkfolk > wrote:
>
> : "Garry Bryan" > wrote in message
> : ...
> :> In rec.music.gdead volkfolk > wrote:
> :>
> :> : "Joe" > wrote in message
> :> : ...
> :> :> In rec.music.gdead volkfolk > wrote:
> :> :>
> :> :> > Whatever, I don't seem to have any problems understanding or
making
> :> : myself
> :> :> > understood with anyone else.
> :>
> :> : Agreeing with someone is NOT the same thing as understanding what
> : someone is
> :> : saying.
> :>
> :> And understanding what someone says is not the same as agreeing. .
..used
> : to have
> :> to tell my ex-wife that after her umpteenth time of repeating her
> : viewpoint
> :> thinking that once I understood I would suddenly agree. . . :)
>
> : LOL, it a hard lesson for some people to learn. But you shouldn't have
> : agree with someone about everything in order to get along either.
>
> : My wife and I disagree about lots of stuff, but we get along pretty well
> : most of the time.
>
> : The marriage that I can't figure out for the life of me is James
Carville
> : and Mary Matlin. Talk about the classic case study for how opposites
> : attract.
>
> But at least they talk and don't play the "there has to be a winner and a
loser"
> game. . .that **** drives me crazy. . .unless it is something inherently
> important that you must cooperate on, why must you have it one way or the
other?
> Compromise or two things <one tube of toothpaste to squeeze in the middle
and
> one to roll from the bottom> usually solves it. .. but you have to *talk*
about
> it and respect the others feelings. . .most conflicts come from one person
> *feeling* about something while the other *thinks* about it. . .and
sometimes
> you just want to be mad for awhile. . .
>
> Garry

Absolutely, It took us a long time to figure that one out, but we are
getting better about knowing how to deal with each others idiosyncrasies.
Plus it helps if you know when to just let something go or when to just walk
away

Scot

d buebly
September 24th, 2003, 03:25 AM
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:35:18 +0000 (UTC), Garry Bryan
> wrote:

snippage

>But at least they talk and don't play the "there has to be a winner and a loser"
>game. . .that **** drives me crazy. . .unless it is something inherently
>important that you must cooperate on, why must you have it one way or the other?
>Compromise or two things <one tube of toothpaste to squeeze in the middle and
>one to roll from the bottom> usually solves it. .. but you have to *talk* about
>it and respect the others feelings. . .most conflicts come from one person
>*feeling* about something while the other *thinks* about it. . .and sometimes
>you just want to be mad for awhile. . .
>
>Garry

I like that description, "and sometimes you just want to be mad for a
while."

If the glove fits......