PDA

View Full Version : Re: Hurricane, MD

Frank Reid
September 19th, 2003, 11:50 PM
Our power went at 7:30 last night in Anne Arundel county. Spent the night
emptying the sump, every hour on the hour and then a walk about to check on
things outside. About 1:00, a large limb from my neighbor's cherry tree
dropped into the back yard. Now all of the weight of the remaining tree is
tilted at the other neighbor's house. Hell, he wants a new deck anyway.
Rain tapered off at about 4:30 a.m. so got some sleep till about 6:30. The
wiff is up and heading for work. Not an enlightened employer.
Went to get some dry ice from the county at 10. About 1500 people left in
line when they handed out the last of 3000 bags (one 5 lb bag per house) at
10:30. Got pretty ugly. Heard about fisticuffs in Timonium and Landover
ice lines.
Went back at 2:30. Word was that there might be a shipment at 6. 5:15
rolls around and my daughter calls on the cell. We've got power. I whooped
and pulled out of line (about number 50 amoung 1,000). I got cheered and
booed.
All in all, we went through fairly well. Some stuff in the fridge that
won't make it. Gotta eat the steaks that would have defrosted if the power
stayed off. Whole neighborhood was fairly congenial. I even had chicken
tandori for breakfast from a neighbors grill.
Time to go cook the steaks, eat and GET A SHOWER. Then some sleep.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Tim J.
September 20th, 2003, 12:18 AM
"Frank Reid" wrote...
<snip>
> All in all, we went through fairly well. Some stuff in the fridge that
> won't make it. Gotta eat the steaks that would have defrosted if the power
> stayed off. Whole neighborhood was fairly congenial. I even had chicken
> tandori for breakfast from a neighbors grill.
> Time to go cook the steaks, eat and GET A SHOWER. Then some sleep.

Attaboy, Frank - that's the way to ride it out!
--
TL,
Tim

Lat705
September 20th, 2003, 03:49 PM
I still don't have waterfront property at the head of the bay. Water came up
to the neighbor's garage and kept his sump pump running (generator driven of
course). Many houses down the road had water on their first floor. The next
door marinas had the walks under water, but the pilings in place and it looks
liked the morred boats doing OK. Went without power for a little over 24 hrs.
Cooked on the gas grill and used the Sterno stove for tea and the like. The
nine hour campers candle worked well, but was the equivelant of a 10 watt bulb.
I'm on a well so there was no power, but one road to town was clear so I had
water from a freind to refill the toilet hopper after flushing. The tree
branches blown down took about three hours to clean up.

Lou T

Frank Reid
September 20th, 2003, 06:02 PM
> The tree
> branches blown down took about three hours to clean up.
>
> Lou T

Take care Lou. Hollar if you need help, I'm just a few miles away.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Allen Epps
September 22nd, 2003, 03:25 PM
Fellow Campers,
Monday, Power went off Thursday at 1700. Still no power at our house
today and they say it may be Friday before it gets back on.
Contemplating a small nuclear reactor in the garage to see us through
throught the next storm be it winter, ice, Thunder or hurricane.
Allen Epps
Catonsville, MD

Frank Reid wrote:

>> The tree
>>branches blown down took about three hours to clean up.
>>
>>Lou T
>>

>Take care Lou. Hollar if you need help, I'm just a few miles away.

Wayne
September 22nd, 2003, 06:20 PM
Get a coal fired unit. NRC requires nukes to shut down when wind
speeds hit 73 mph. You can walk along the tracks where they bring the
coal into ports for shipping overseas and pick up enough to get
through a hurricane recovery. You might need several tons as some
outages (like mine) are expected not to be cleared until Thursday or
Friday.

Looks like the Centennial of Flight celebrations on the Outer Banks
will be somewhat dampened.

Wayne
to fish is human....to release Divine!!

Allen Epps > wrote in message >...
> Fellow Campers,
> Monday, Power went off Thursday at 1700. Still no power at our house
> today and they say it may be Friday before it gets back on.
> Contemplating a small nuclear reactor in the garage to see us through
> throught the next storm be it winter, ice, Thunder or hurricane.
> Allen Epps
> Catonsville, MD

Gerald A. Epps
September 22nd, 2003, 07:52 PM
The NRC? Pashah, I'll just have you run and regulate it Wayne.
Same timeline for restoration as us, Thursday or Friday maybe, hell you just get a recording when
you call. Of course I may go home now and see it works but I'll be shocked. Haven't even seen a
BGE truck in the neighborhood and damn few in Catonsville.

Allen

Wayne wrote:

> Get a coal fired unit. NRC requires nukes to shut down when wind
> speeds hit 73 mph. You can walk along the tracks where they bring the
> coal into ports for shipping overseas and pick up enough to get
> through a hurricane recovery. You might need several tons as some
> outages (like mine) are expected not to be cleared until Thursday or
> Friday.
>
> Looks like the Centennial of Flight celebrations on the Outer Banks
> will be somewhat dampened.
>
> Wayne
> to fish is human....to release Divine!!
>
> Allen Epps > wrote in message >...
> > Fellow Campers,
> > Monday, Power went off Thursday at 1700. Still no power at our house
> > today and they say it may be Friday before it gets back on.
> > Contemplating a small nuclear reactor in the garage to see us through
> > throught the next storm be it winter, ice, Thunder or hurricane.
> > Allen Epps
> > Catonsville, MD

Wayne
September 23rd, 2003, 12:23 PM
I'll run it. I assume it will be one of the highly enriched fuel
compact models like the Navy uses. I already have a plan for spent
fuel disposal but we'll need the use of a Global Hawk. We seed
selected mountain passes along the Afgan/Pakistan border with spent
fuel pellets. One every 30 feet across the pass with three rows 30
yards apart. The center row is just a backup because once the stacks
of bodies piling up on either side gets big enough they will act as
shielding. Of course we could develop a boron shielded bomb casing
and drop the thing as a cluster from a conventional aircraft but it
may not get the pattern you need.

To give you some idea of the effectiveness; a standard spent fuel
pellet (a fraction of Navy reactor enrichment) sitting bare-assed on a
football goal line and a person starting at the opposite goal and
running as hard as they could run toward the goal line with the pellet
would never arrive.

Since a nuke power generator is basically a steam plant, we could sell
the excess stream to a Md. Crab House for steaming the crustaceans.
That is unless you want a boiling water reactor (nasty things) and we
could throw the hapless crabs directly in the reactor pot.