PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito Lagoon Report 9/19/2003

Capt. Troy D. Nash
September 20th, 2003, 01:59 AM
This morning... The sun had just begun to light the Lagoon as we reached the
boat ramp. I launched the boat and we motored out the canal and were soon on
plane leaving behind us an irridescent phosphoric trail. Headed to parts
unknown, the boat ran atop a sheet of glass and dew strewn down the deck,
drying as we were propeled further toward this days adventure. After an
exciting 15 minute introduction through the maze of grass flats around bird
covered islands and backcountry canals we came off plane and settled a
little more than a hundred yards from a slough I knew was holding a school
of Redfish and Big "Gator" Trout that were feeding on the droves of finger
mullet holding in the area. As soon as the boat's wake cleared, we witnessed
the carnage of an early morning meal by one of the local inhabitants. My
long time client and friend Chris Cantrell armed himself with a rod and
scanned the calmness for signs of more distressed baitfish. Chris let out a
cast from more than 100' that landed downwind and behind his target. Working
it through the area previously filled with fleeing baitfish returned no
results. The Gator Trout can be unforgiving and this fish was no exception.
Hey, what's that you have on there, I asked? It's a D.O.A. Jerkbait with an
1/8 oz. head, that's what you told me to get, isn't it? he replied. Too
heavy for this skinny water I replied back. Try this. I handed Chris another
C.A.L. and he says,... That's what I have on already! No man, it's not the
color, it's the jig head that's the problem. It's too heavy! This ones
rigged with a worm hook, try it! Chris likes to throw his own rod and tackle
but knows to listen to good advice so, as I began pointing out fish feeding
around the boat, Chris tied on the newly rigged lure. With the first cast, a
little past and on the outer edge of the schooling baitfish THUMP!
Kaplooooosh! It sounded like a toilet was being flushed. Chris reeled down
into it and swept the rod to the side, snapping it with his wrist and
sinching the line tight. He's on! Chris yelled as line began peeling off the
reel. Feels like a nice slot sized Red! After five minutes and a little game
of tug-a-war a MASSIVE Gator Trout became acrobatic boatside. Once I saw
what it was, I said, just keep the line tight and don't pressure him. I'll
get the net! That wasn't a Red, for sure but, I knew there was a school of
them some where close by so, I tried to be as quiet as I could as I
scrambled to get the net. Once we boated the Trout and took the customary
photos,and measured him, about an 11 lb fish I carfully estimated, we were
off in the direction I knew those Reds were hanging. The skiff slipped
quietly ahead as I poled us along the dropoff of the slough. We hooked a
trout every 50 yards or so, all 6 to 9 lbs. but, none as large as the first.
Once daylight pierced the waters surface, the potholes became visible enough
to cast to and there seemed to be multiple fish in each and every one. The
sun had risen completely and the seabreeze began to ripple the lagoon.
Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye and in the distance, I saw the slow
bronze tell tail flash of a Redfish moving through one of the large potholes
ahead. As we approached, there were multiple Reds lazily waveing their tales
just below the surface of the water while rooting in the lush, green grass
just out from the sand spots. This school of Red's recklessness was
encouraged by the broken surface and abundance of food on the flats. At
times, the Reds bluish tinted tip of the tail was all that was visible in
the grass. Then, other times, the entire wrist of the tail would suspend in
the air then slap the water as the fish would invert himself as to pin his
meal to the bottom. Chris picked off two tailers of about 25" and one 28"
Redfish that pushed a wake cruising across a sandspot. Both with a green
with pearl belly D.O.A. Spotting a second school in the distance,we
intercepted them as they made way along a shoreline of the flat on the
dropoff side. These were MOGANS! Chris made his cast and hooked up first as
I slipped off the poling stand and grabed a rod. I pitched to the head of
the school also hooking up, as they passed up his fish now held back by a
mear 8lb test line. Once we got them to the boat I released mine quickly and
grabed his. Chris has caught one of the biggist fish in the school. About a
58" fish that bottomed out the Boga! I rarely get to see one that size come
to the boat even using bait. Usually it's the younger, more aggresive fish
that will compete for a meal, thus providing a hookup. Chris was excited and
overjoyed with the catch. His personal best, he said! We took off to another
area and finished the day off Flyfishing to single cruising Redfish. At one
point, Chris had difficulty spotting a Redfish so I directed his casts from
my vantage point. To the left, 80' out... 10 o'clock. To the left 5 degrees,
a little more, LAY IT DOWN. STRIP STRIP, OK, LET IT FALL! BUMP IT,...
STOP,... BUMP IT AGAIN, BAM! HIT HIM! I hollered. I GOT HIM! Chris had
hooked up on a 17lb beauty and had never even seen him. It was AWESOME! Now
THAT is team work! This had been a great day and needed to be remembered as
such so, we packed up and headed in, recounting the adventure as we headed
toward the dock. You know, I didn't see one guide out today and very few
boats. It was nice!

HEY, Check it out! I JUST BOUGHT A NEW BOAT!!! In addition to my 18' Hewes
Flats skiff I guide on in the Flats of Mosquito Lagoon. I am now the owner
of a classic Pacemaker Center console Sportfishing boat made by the same
company that now makes Egg Harbour Sportfishing Yachts. "Chaser" has a
cruising speed of 20 knots, electronics, a full Teak deck and a tall tower
with full controls and outriggers. It's a FISHING MACHINE! I'll be
chartering it for some awesome offshore action. It's a great boat for
trolling, catching fish and having a good time! Tell me what you think...
www.redfishing.com/chaser.htm

--
Thank you,
Capt. Troy D. Nash

Ken Fortenberry
September 20th, 2003, 02:33 AM

Well me matey, I think you're a slimy ****in' SPAMmer. Arrrrr!

--
Ken Fortenberry

Capt. Troy D. Nash
September 20th, 2003, 02:44 AM
**** YOU KEN! I knew a guy like you once, he died of Cancer after hanging on
for almost 3 years. I hope you enjoy the same fate! If you have the balls,
come to my home, I live at 6483 Leonard Ave in Cocoa Florida. I'll be glad
to take you out back and show you some manners you ****ing TURD!

--
Thank you,
Capt. Troy D. Nash
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
.com...
> Capt. Troy D. Nash wrote:
>
> > ... Tell me what you think...
>
> Well me matey, I think you're a slimy ****in' SPAMmer. Arrrrr!
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry
September 20th, 2003, 02:54 AM
Capt. Troy D. Nash wrote:

> **** YOU KEN! I knew a guy like you once, he died of Cancer after hanging on
> for almost 3 years. I hope you enjoy the same fate! If you have the balls,
> come to my home, I live at 6483 Leonard Ave in Cocoa Florida. I'll be glad
> to take you out back and show you some manners you ****ing TURD!

The only reason I'd ever go to Florida is to watch the Illini in a
New Years Day bowl game. I sure as hell wouldn't go all that way to
confront a ****ing SPAMmer. But I'm at 804 Indiana Ave. in Urbana,
Illinois if you want to debate face to face why you're a low life
piece of scum. In the interim I'll simply forward this whole exchange
to your ISP and let them explain to you why Usenet is not your personal
marketing tool.

Arrrrrr!

--
Ken Fortenberry

Ernie
September 20th, 2003, 03:18 AM
Dirty Tom Cash at yer service mateys, will it be muskets or cutlasses?
ARRRRR

"Capt. Troy D. Nash" > wrote in message
.. .
> **** YOU KEN! I knew a guy like you once, he died of Cancer after hanging
on
> for almost 3 years. I hope you enjoy the same fate! If you have the balls,
> come to my home, I live at 6483 Leonard Ave in Cocoa Florida. I'll be glad
> to take you out back and show you some manners you ****ing TURD!
>
> --
> Thank you,
> Capt. Troy D. Nash
> www.redfishing.com
> 1-888-988-8987
> "Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
> .com...
> > Capt. Troy D. Nash wrote:
> >
> > > ... Tell me what you think...
> >
> > Well me matey, I think you're a slimy ****in' SPAMmer. Arrrrr!
> >
> > --
> > Ken Fortenberry

Wayne Harrison
September 20th, 2003, 03:38 AM
"Capt. Troy D. Nash" > wrote

Tell me what you think...

i think that in nearly eight years of reading posts on this newsgroup,
your shameless spam is the worst use of the english language that i have
seen. the entire communication is drivel; tawdry, maudlin, and boring.
and it is so hilarious that you would get so ****ing bent out of shape
that you would call out ol forty for a real life physical confrontation.
which, of course, never happens.

see ya much, much, later, is my bet.

awh

Ken Fortenberry
September 20th, 2003, 03:39 AM
Ernie wrote:

> Dirty Tom Cash at yer service mateys, will it be muskets or cutlasses?
> ARRRRR

Wouldn't dirty me cutlass on a scurvy SPAMmer, but as fer shootin'
the knave, aye, aye, me matey. Arrrrrr!

--
Iron Tom Kidd

Tim J.
September 20th, 2003, 03:39 AM
"Capt. Troy D. Nash" wrote...

> **** YOU KEN! I knew a guy like you once, he died of Cancer after hanging on
> for almost 3 years. I hope you enjoy the same fate!

Phew! I thought you were going to get nasty and personal for a minute there.
What a truly scummy thing to say and wish on anyone. But I DO hope that boat of
yours sinks a day after the insurance expires.

BTW, that was definitely spam, as if you didn't already know that, and dressing
up the pig in Sunday clothes like you did didn't make it any less spam.
--
BMIA,
Tim

Capt. Troy D. Nash
September 20th, 2003, 04:38 AM
Well, I guess I shouldn't have even bothered to reply. I'm sure your
football reports contribute much more to this forum. Your self adsorbed need
to control the situation and then to tattle on me after you yourself were
the one to instigate my reply shows your lack of intellect.
I guess it's not OK to share a day on the water while attempting to drum up
a little business? I've been a professional fishing Guide 1983 and this is
how I pay my bills and feed my family. Why don't you explain to my 7yr old
son Cody why I shouldn't try to find the work or defend myself when I do. I
work hard at what I do and I won't make any apologies to you or anyone who
will agree with you. So, you go ahead and say what you will and do what your
gonna do. It still won't make up for the person you've become.

--
Thank you,
Capt. Troy D. Nash
www.redfishing.com
1-888-988-8987
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
.com...
> Ernie wrote:
>
> > Dirty Tom Cash at yer service mateys, will it be muskets or cutlasses?
> > ARRRRR
>
> Wouldn't dirty me cutlass on a scurvy SPAMmer, but as fer shootin'
> the knave, aye, aye, me matey. Arrrrrr!
>
> --
> Iron Tom Kidd

Clark Reid
September 20th, 2003, 07:58 AM
"Capt. Troy D. Nash" wrote

For what it's worth I thought your message was kind of spammy but I have
been accused of the same thing so am happy to sit on the fence on that
issue.

I am also no fan of Ken's attitude, I can't condemn the guy, I only know his
Usenet persona and I doubt very much that is who Ken really is, but I for
one found what you wished on him extremely offensive... I could wish him an
afternoon of tailing loops, windknots and broken leaders, but to go down the
3 year "Big C" line was off base to an extreme degree.
You may well be correct in lambasting Ken for his whatever reason, but I
think you owe the group an apology...

There are people here who have said they wouldn.t fish with me when hell
freezes over because I think a particular German based Englishman is a
****.... If your original post was to drum up business your response to Ken
will have killed any chance of it here I believe...
--
Clark Reid
http://www.dryflynz.com

JR
September 20th, 2003, 09:00 AM
"Capt. Troy D. Nash" wrote:

> I guess it's not OK to share a day on the water while attempting to drum up
> a little business? I've been a professional fishing Guide 1983 and this is
> how I pay my bills and feed my family. Why don't you explain to my 7yr old
> son Cody why I shouldn't try to find the work or defend myself when I do.

Your original post was unimaginative spamola, and the all-too
predictable response from 40 only mildly entertaining, but I've got to
admit this smarmy recourse to whining about maybe not being able to put
the beans on poor little Cody's plate is big-league embarrassing.

Congratulations.

JR
(BTW, if you ever reach the point of actually dragging little Cody out
to the dock to "drum up business", it might help to dress him in a wee
tattered frock).

Brimbum
September 20th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Capt Troy wrote:snip>Why don't you explain to my 7yr old
>son Cody why I shouldn't try to find the work or defend myself when I do.

Why don't you explain to your son why you are breaking the law.

Big Dale

Charlie Choc
September 20th, 2003, 12:51 PM
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:58:39 +1200, "Clark Reid"
> wrote:

>There are people here who have said they wouldn.t fish with me when hell
>freezes over because I think a particular German based Englishman is a
>****....

FWIW, if you mean me, the reason I said I wouldn't fish with you had
nothing to do with your opinion of anyone other than yourself. <g>
--
Charlie...

Guyz-N-Flyz
September 20th, 2003, 01:01 PM
"Capt. Troy D. Nash" > wrote in message
.. .
> Well, I guess I shouldn't have even bothered to reply. I'm sure your
> football reports contribute much more to this forum. Your self adsorbed
need
> to control the situation and then to tattle on me after you yourself were
> the one to instigate my reply shows your lack of intellect.
> I guess it's not OK to share a day on the water while attempting to drum
up
> a little business?

Actually, not it's not OK! This is a non-commercial NG. If you use this NG
to "drum up business," then you are exactly as Mr. Fortenberry describes
you.

I've been a professional fishing Guide 1983 and this is
> how I pay my bills and feed my family. Why don't you explain to my 7yr old
> son Cody why I shouldn't try to find the work or defend myself when I do.
> work hard at what I do and I won't make any apologies to you or anyone who
> will agree with you. So, you go ahead and say what you will and do what
your
> gonna do. It still won't make up for the person you've become.

Paly buy the rules and you won't have these problems.

Op

> --
> Thank you,
> Capt. Troy D. Nash
> www.redfishing.com
> 1-888-988-8987
> "Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
> .com...
> > Ernie wrote:
> >
> > > Dirty Tom Cash at yer service mateys, will it be muskets or cutlasses?
> > > ARRRRR
> >
> > Wouldn't dirty me cutlass on a scurvy SPAMmer, but as fer shootin'
> > the knave, aye, aye, me matey. Arrrrrr!
> >
> > --
> > Iron Tom Kidd

Ken Fortenberry
September 20th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Charlie Choc wrote:

> "Clark Reid" wrote:
>
>>There are people here who have said they wouldn.t fish with me when hell
>>freezes over because I think a particular German based Englishman is a
>>****....
>

> FWIW, if you mean me, the reason I said I wouldn't fish with you had
> nothing to do with your opinion of anyone other than yourself. <g>

Ditto, right down to the FWIW. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Clark Reid
September 20th, 2003, 01:15 PM
"Charlie Choc" wrote > FWIW, if you mean me, the reason I said I wouldn't
fish with you had
> nothing to do with your opinion of anyone other than yourself. <g>

No Charlie, I didn't even think of you... but it's an interesting thought...
you think I aggrandize and yet you immediately thought of yourself in this
instance.... <G>

Personally I'd fish with you... if you don't want to fish with me that's
your problem. I don't think you'll lose sleep and neither will I.
--
Clark Reid
http://www.dryflynz.com

Clark Reid
September 20th, 2003, 01:16 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" <wrote >
>Ditto, right down to the FWIW. ;-)

Ditto, right down to the FWIW. ;-)

There are people here I'd make space for... for you I wouldn't.. I am
impressed at what a tough guy you are though!

--
Clark Reid
http://www.dryflynz.com

Ken Fortenberry
September 20th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Capt. Troy D. Nash wrote:

> Well, I guess I shouldn't have even bothered to reply. ...

Well, unless you're an imposter trying to ruin Capt. Nash's guiding
business, I'd say that's a real good guess. If you really are Capt.
Nash you pretty much **** in your hat by posting SPAM here in the
first place.

But I've got an idea for you. Get one of those cute little bellboy
suits, you know the one with the pillbox hat and the coat with lots
of shiny buttons, and dress Cody in it. Now print up a big sign
advertising your guide service and get yourself a hand wound organ.
You take your sign, your organ and your kid and you set up down to
the local Wally World. Tried and true way to drum up business and
I'm not even gonna charge you for the marketing advice.

HTH

--
Ken Fortenberry

Peter Charles
September 20th, 2003, 02:02 PM
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 01:44:27 GMT, "Capt. Troy D. Nash"
> wrote:

>**** YOU KEN! I knew a guy like you once, he died of Cancer after hanging on
>for almost 3 years. I hope you enjoy the same fate! If you have the balls,
>come to my home, I live at 6483 Leonard Ave in Cocoa Florida. I'll be glad
>to take you out back and show you some manners you ****ing TURD!

I though Gehrke hit some low points here, but wishing three years of
cancer on someone has to be about the lowest I've ever seen.
Congratulations on your achievement.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
http://www.easternclave.ca

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Tim J.
September 20th, 2003, 02:04 PM
"Capt. Troy D. Nash" wrote...
> Why don't you explain to my 7yr old
> son Cody why I shouldn't try to find the work or defend myself when I do.

Why don't you explain to him why you'd wish a slow death by cancer on someone?
--
TL,
Tim

Wolfgang
September 20th, 2003, 02:07 PM
"Clark Reid" > wrote in message

> "Charlie Choc" wrote > FWIW, if you mean me, the reason I said I wouldn't
> fish with you had
> > nothing to do with your opinion of anyone other than yourself. <g>
>
> No Charlie, I didn't even think of you... but it's an interesting
thought...
> you think I aggrandize and yet you immediately thought of yourself in this
> instance.... <G>
>
> Personally I'd fish with you... if you don't want to fish with me that's
> your problem. I don't think you'll lose sleep and neither will I.

zzzzzzzzz......

Wolfgang
who had the strangest dream.......there were all these people with computers
and fishing poles and........um.......well, never mind......too weird.
:(

Clark Reid
September 20th, 2003, 02:21 PM
"Wolfgang" wrote > zzzzzzzzz......

Fair point WG, For once we agree, I shouldn't have bothered, and won't
again...

--
Clark Reid
Who genuinely found the Capt..'s remarks offensive...

Wolfgang
September 20th, 2003, 03:50 PM
"Clark Reid" > wrote in message

> "Wolfgang" wrote > zzzzzzzzz......
>
> Fair point WG, For once we agree, I shouldn't have bothered, and won't
> again...

Wasn't suggesting you shouldn't bother.

> Clark Reid
> Who genuinely found the Capt..'s remarks offensive...

Rated on any reasonable scale of what people generally find offensive, it
was right up there. But considering who the intended target was, I'd be
much surprised if he loses any sleep over it either. Beyond a possible
momentary (and somewhat forced) indignation, indulged in with some relish in
all likelihood, there isn't likely to be much damage.

Of course, this line of reasoning DOES depend rather heavily on the
admittedly unproved assumption that wishing someone dead is an art whose
practitioners in this late day and age fall somewhat short of the glorious
successes achieved by their ancient ancestors. :)

Wolfgang
who, it must be admitted, has nevertheless not yet divested himself entirely
of his collection of amulets, hexes, mojos, jujus, silver crosses, garlic
wreaths and other sundry prophylactic paraphernalia. :(

Ernie
September 20th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Aye Captn,
Now ye know what we think of Scurvy Spammers. This be a place for real
fish talk. Stop swinging yer cutlass and have a bit o rum while I dry my
eyes.
Dirty Tom Cash

"Capt. Troy D. Nash" > wrote in message
.. .
> I guess it's not OK to share a day on the water while attempting to drum
up
> a little business? I've been a professional fishing Guide 1983 and this is
> how I pay my bills and feed my family. Why don't you explain to my 7yr old
> son Cody why I shouldn't try to find the work or defend myself when I do.
> work hard at what I do and I won't make any apologies to you or anyone who
> will agree with you. >
> --
> Thank you,
> Capt. Troy D. Nash

pittendrigh
September 21st, 2003, 12:40 AM
"Capt. Troy D. Nash" > wrote in message >...
> This morning... The sun had just begun to light the Lagoon as we reached the
> boat ramp.....

Troy's over reaction to Ken Fortenberry's troll taunting
was an unfortunate mistake. But I, for one, enjoyed what Troy
wrote. Sure, it was indeed an advertizement for his guiding business,
but so what. I like fishing guides myself, and Troy writes a good story.
I think Troy earned a better reception by the effort he put into his
original post. Every time I hear another good redfish story, I learn a
little more about it. And that (not flame wars) is what the
internet is good for.

Troy, the next time something like this happens, just smile and
shake your head.

Ken Fortenberry
September 21st, 2003, 01:02 AM
pittendrigh wrote:

> ... Every time I hear another good redfish story, I learn a
> little more about it. And that (not flame wars) is what the
> internet is good for. ...

Sandy, if you want to read fly fishing advertisements, then
subscribe to a fly fishing magazine. Ads are not welcome here.
Period. And THAT'S what non-commercial Usenet newsgroups are
good for.

--
Ken Fortenberry

rw
September 21st, 2003, 01:54 AM
pittendrigh wrote:

> Troy, the next time something like this happens, just smile and
> shake your head.

Indeed.

rw
September 21st, 2003, 02:05 AM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
> pittendrigh wrote:
>
>> ... Every time I hear another good redfish story, I learn a little
>> more about it. And that (not flame wars) is what the internet is good
>> for. ...
>

> Sandy, if you want to read fly fishing advertisements, then
> subscribe to a fly fishing magazine. Ads are not welcome here.
> Period. And THAT'S what non-commercial Usenet newsgroups are
> good for.

**** you, dip****.

B J Conner
September 21st, 2003, 05:33 AM
Good report. I know your a guide and I don't really give a ratsass. I
couldn't find your rates and phone number in the post so I would not
consider it spam. I could figure that someone named "Capt" is most likly a
guide. Just remember the roffian who gave you the most **** posts as much
on football games, guarding the tomb of the unkown soldier, an F-16 flyover
at a football game and other OT subjects as he does fly fishing. I
though your post was OK, it was about flyfishing, If I really wanted to
read and talk about the Illini and their worthless football team I can find
a dozen web pages and forums.
There's a few bitter people here, must be frustrated because they can't run
the world or even this stupid newsgroup.

> [...]

> THAT is team work! This had been a great day and needed to be remembered
as
> such so, we packed up and headed in, recounting the adventure as we headed
> toward the dock. You know, I didn't see one guide out today and very few
> boats. It was nice!
>
> HEY, Check it out! I JUST BOUGHT A NEW BOAT!!! In addition to my 18' Hewes
> Flats skiff I guide on in the Flats of Mosquito Lagoon. I am now the owner
> of a classic Pacemaker Center console Sportfishing boat made by the same
> company that now makes Egg Harbour Sportfishing Yachts. "Chaser" has a
> cruising speed of 20 knots, electronics, a full Teak deck and a tall tower
> with full controls and outriggers. It's a FISHING MACHINE! I'll be
> chartering it for some awesome offshore action. It's a great boat for
> trolling, catching fish and having a good time! Tell me what you think...

Capt. Troy D. Nash
September 21st, 2003, 06:25 AM
Sandy,
Thanks for the support AND advice. I'll use it! Just sent you an email too.

--
Thank you,
Capt. Troy D. Nash
"pittendrigh" > wrote in message
m...
> "Capt. Troy D. Nash" > wrote in message
> > This morning... The sun had just begun to light the Lagoon as we reached
the
> > boat ramp.....
>

> Troy's over reaction to Ken Fortenberry's troll taunting
> was an unfortunate mistake. But I, for one, enjoyed what Troy
> wrote. Sure, it was indeed an advertizement for his guiding business,
> but so what. I like fishing guides myself, and Troy writes a good story.
> I think Troy earned a better reception by the effort he put into his
> original post. Every time I hear another good redfish story, I learn a
> little more about it. And that (not flame wars) is what the
> internet is good for.
>
> Troy, the next time something like this happens, just smile and
> shake your head.

pittendrigh
September 21st, 2003, 02:59 PM

> Sandy, if you want to read fly fishing advertisements, then
> subscribe to a fly fishing magazine. Ads are not welcome here.
> Period. And THAT'S what non-commercial Usenet newsgroups are
> good for.

RW:

This (all too typical) thread started with Troy Nash's first post
to this group. A constructive answer--on what's his name's part--
might have been to say "Troy, this is public newsgroup, openningly and
specifically promoting your business is not the right thing to
do........"

But instead of being helpful and constructive, what's his name called
him
a 'slimy ****ing spammer.' By choosing those specific words,
what's his name knew, for sure, that a no-holds-barred flame war
would ensue. I find myself wondering that (the inevitable flame war)
wasn't what's his name's real purpose.

If Troy had ommited his final sentance, where he specifially mentioned
his boat and phone number, his post would have been just fine.

He could have and should have been told that, instead of what he did
get.

Ken Fortenberry
September 21st, 2003, 03:19 PM
pittendrigh wrote:

> This (all too typical) thread ...

<Yet another request for a group hug and a round of Kumbaya snipped>

If you want to treat SPAMmers like wayward little children you won't
hear me sniping at you, but I don't do it that way. To paraphrase
D.H. Lawrence, it wouldn't be natural to the author.

--
Ken Fortenberry

rw
September 21st, 2003, 04:53 PM
pittendrigh wrote:
>>Sandy, if you want to read fly fishing advertisements, then
>>subscribe to a fly fishing magazine. Ads are not welcome here.
>>Period. And THAT'S what non-commercial Usenet newsgroups are
>>good for.
>

> RW:
>
> This (all too typical) thread started with Troy Nash's first post
> to this group. A constructive answer--on what's his name's part--
> might have been to say "Troy, this is public newsgroup, openningly and
> specifically promoting your business is not the right thing to
> do........"

I know exactly how it started, and I didn't write what you quote above.

The dip**** Fortenberry likes to feel like a tough guy, so he slams
"spammers" and newbies. Meanwhile, he posts nothing else other than
off-topic football scores, political links, Budweiser commercials, and
the like. Nothing about flyfishing, other than the occasional snobbish
rant against nymph fishing or tailwaters. It's pathetic.

September 22nd, 2003, 12:59 AM
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 01:44:27 GMT, "Capt. Troy D. Nash"
> wrote:

>**** YOU KEN! I knew a guy like you once, he died of Cancer after hanging on
>for almost 3 years. I hope you enjoy the same fate! If you have the balls,
>come to my home, I live at 6483 Leonard Ave in Cocoa Florida. I'll be glad
>to take you out back and show you some manners you ****ing TURD!

Gotta say I never even wished that on Jerky Gherke and I thought he
was a despicable waste of air.

If you want to present your business, these cute little ads disguised
as trip reports aren't the best way to do it.

Do it the proper way, make conversation as if you really gave a damn
about the group and put your ad in your (no more than 4 or 5 lines)
sig file.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

September 22nd, 2003, 01:08 AM
On 20 Sep 2003 16:40:57 -0700,
(pittendrigh) wrote:

>"Capt. Troy D. Nash" > wrote in message >...
>> This morning... The sun had just begun to light the Lagoon as we reached the
>> boat ramp.....
>

>Troy's over reaction to Ken Fortenberry's troll taunting
>was an unfortunate mistake. But I, for one, enjoyed what Troy
>wrote. Sure, it was indeed an advertizement for his guiding business,
>but so what. I like fishing guides myself, and Troy writes a good story.
>I think Troy earned a better reception by the effort he put into his
>original post. Every time I hear another good redfish story, I learn a
>little more about it. And that (not flame wars) is what the
>internet is good for.
>
>Troy, the next time something like this happens, just smile and
>shake your head.

He does it on all the fishing groups. It is SPAM, but nobody calls
him on it. I assume they just glide on by the way I did until now.
So the first time I see him called on it, he doesn't just go
ballistic, he uses vile responses. Maybe someone should have called
him on it before and let him know how Nettiquette works and what Terms
of Service and Acceptable Use Policies are?

And maybe he'd get a clue that many users thinking of using a charter
boat in FL would always have given him a deliberate miss and that he's
likely now to have all of us wondering how he treats little Clay when
the tyke spills his milk or his crew when they miss gaffing a big one
or what he does IRL when anyone annoys him.

You see, if he'd actually read the group, he'd know what the exact
proper response to Ken would be out of a choice of three good ones.

--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.
Only a fool would refuse to believe in luck. Only a damn fool would rely on it.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Tim J.
September 22nd, 2003, 03:29 AM

<snip>
> You see, if he'd actually read the group, he'd know what the exact
> proper response to Ken would be out of a choice of three good ones.

If he actually read the group, he'd also know that several of the folks who
frequent it have either had bouts with cancer, know someone suffering from
cancer, or have lost a dear one to cancer. Since the post on Friday, I've
relived my own acquaintance with this awful killer over and over. Maudlin, but
true.

When I read his original post, I knew Ken's response was coming (raise your hand
if you didn't), and if the ol' Cap'n had come back with the standard FYK
response I wouldn't have given it another thought. When he wished a slow death
by cancer it was a pretty good indication of character - about as low as I've
ever seen. After that tirade, he comes back with a sob story about his seven
year old not having food on the table. If his seven year old is being taught the
kind of venomous hatred that flows from the father, there's a least another
generation of polluted minds we'll have to deal with.

IMNSHO, the Cap'n is a sad, sick man, and just because anyone out there agrees
or disagrees with Ken has no bearing on that truth.
--
TL,
Tim

George Adams
September 22nd, 2003, 05:00 AM
>From: "Tim J."

>IMNSHO, the Cap'n is a sad, sick man, and just because anyone out there
>agrees
>or disagrees with Ken has no bearing on that truth.

Absofukkinlutely. And if the "Cap'n" can't make a decent living guiding, then
maybe he ought to get a real job to put food on his table.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Scott Seidman
September 22nd, 2003, 01:05 PM
"Capt. Troy D. Nash" > wrote in
:

> I guess it's not OK to share a day on the water while attempting to
> drum up a little business?

Actually, no, its not OK. Before you go and say "point to the rules that
say this", there are not any real rules in place, just guidelines, and to a
T, they frown on such advertising.

We all know guiding is a tough business, and we wish you all the success in
the world. However, to think that the international community that is
usenet is interested in your ads isn't a good thing.

Scott

Warren
September 22nd, 2003, 01:27 PM
wrote...
> Gotta say I never even wished that on Jerky Gherke and I thought he
> was a despicable waste of air.

Yeah, but we are talking about Ken here. I mean how innocent
is he at flaming people for no reason? Sometimes I feel as if
Ken's nuttiness knows no bounds.......

> If you want to present your business, these cute little ads disguised
> as trip reports aren't the best way to do it.

Actually, I really enjoyed the Captain's TR. It gave me a
vision of a type of fishing that I have never experienced. I
used to think that the type of fishing that I did was the
best, but lately I have seen other types that have really
captured my attention. If it wasn't for the pic of the new
boat, actually just a link, and his sig, you would have
thought it was just another roffian posting a TR. Of course
there were a few mentions of "clients" and "guiding" that
could be construed as spam by the most assholish......

> Do it the proper way, make conversation as if you really gave a damn
> about the group and put your ad in your (no more than 4 or 5 lines)
> sig file.

Yeah, he did that but you obviously didn't get that far......
The captain has followed ROFF enough to realize that Ken can
be a pretentious asshole that just likes to flame new people
for any reason he (Ken) sees fit. My vote goes with the
Captain with Ken's penance being to get his lazy ass out here
to fish with me on DePuy's again. I'll set the boy straight
once he gets here. ;-)
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

pittendrigh
September 22nd, 2003, 02:04 PM
.....I bought a cigar three weeks ago, I smoked it, enjoyed it
and then I had to spend two weeks chewing nictine gum to get over it.

In a similar vein, I usually try to stay out of
these fight threads. This time I didn't and I'm beginning to
regret it, just like the cigar.

Warren
September 22nd, 2003, 02:32 PM
wrote...
> We all know guiding is a tough business, and we wish you all the success in
> the world. However, to think that the international community that is
> usenet is interested in your ads isn't a good thing.

So what you are basically saying is that guides, fly shop
owners, people with commercial interests that deal with
fishing, etc aren't allowed to post to ROFF? I can't see the
complaint other than one use of the word "client", a simple
link to his website showing his new boat, and his sig file.
Seems pretty damn harmless to me, especially after giving me a
vision of a type of fishing that I will probably never have a
chance to experience. Oh yeah, and that dreaded sig line that
links the guy to an actual guiding business....boo****INGhoo.

Lighten up people.....
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Warren
September 22nd, 2003, 02:37 PM
wrote...
> ....I bought a cigar three weeks ago, I smoked it, enjoyed it
> and then I had to spend two weeks chewing nictine gum to get over it.
>
> In a similar vein, I usually try to stay out of
> these fight threads. This time I didn't and I'm beginning to
> regret it, just like the cigar.

Spammer!

--
Warren (well, Sandy never specifically said he didn't have a
commercial interest in cigars!) <bseg>
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Ken Fortenberry
September 22nd, 2003, 02:41 PM
Warren wrote:

> So what you are basically saying is that guides, fly shop
> owners, people with commercial interests that deal with
> fishing, etc aren't allowed to post to ROFF?

Nobody ever said that, basically or otherwise. What the Usenet
community has adopted as convention is that advertisements are
not appropriate in non-commercial Usenet newsgroups.

> Seems pretty damn harmless to me, ...

But it's not.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Scott Seidman
September 22nd, 2003, 02:57 PM
Warren > wrote in
:

> wrote...
>> We all know guiding is a tough business, and we wish you all the
>> success in the world. However, to think that the international
>> community that is usenet is interested in your ads isn't a good
>> thing.
>
> So what you are basically saying is that guides, fly shop
> owners, people with commercial interests that deal with
> fishing, etc aren't allowed to post to ROFF? I can't see the
> complaint other than one use of the word "client", a simple
> link to his website showing his new boat, and his sig file.
> Seems pretty damn harmless to me, especially after giving me a
> vision of a type of fishing that I will probably never have a
> chance to experience. Oh yeah, and that dreaded sig line that
> links the guy to an actual guiding business....boo****INGhoo.
>
> Lighten up people.....

No, this is absolutely not what I was saying. The sig line is perfectly
OK, and the preferred way to deal with stuff like this.

The post wasn't to enlighten us, it was a transparent effort to find new
customers. Then, he copped an attitude when people started objecting.
Guaranteed he's fielded complaints about posting ads like this before,
now he's posting "who me" type responses.

We have plenty of guides, shop owners, and people who otherwise make
their living off the fly fishing industry, and they somehow manage to
contribute to ROFF without blatant advertising. When they do post an
add, they get corrected for it.

You might say "lighten up", but there are groups where every other post
is an add like this one, and it gets real tedious, real fast. Guidelines
about advertising came about for a real reason--ignore them if you want,
but others with thousands of hours of usenet experience found them key.

Scott

daytripper
September 22nd, 2003, 05:30 PM
On 22 Sep 2003 04:00:42 GMT, (George Adams) wrote:

>>From: "Tim J."
>
>>IMNSHO, the Cap'n is a sad, sick man, and just because anyone out there
>>agrees
>>or disagrees with Ken has no bearing on that truth.
>
>Absofukkinlutely. And if the "Cap'n" can't make a decent living guiding, then
>maybe he ought to get a real job to put food on his table.

Hey! Watch where you're pointing that thing - that one whizzed right by my
ear!

/Cap'n Davy Cash ;-)

George Adams
September 22nd, 2003, 06:30 PM
>From: daytripper

>(George Adams) wrote:

>>Absofukkinlutely. And if the "Cap'n" can't make a decent living guiding,
>then
>>maybe he ought to get a real job to put food on his table.

>Hey! Watch where you're pointing that thing - that one whizzed right by my
>ear!

I should be the last one to talk, although I am (barely) putting food on the
table. Not guiding, but hardly a real job. <g>