PDA

View Full Version : happy holiday

jeff
December 25th, 2006, 11:21 PM
here are a few photos of western nc waters. this is the nantahala up
near old river road.

jeff
December 25th, 2006, 11:26 PM
calderwood, looking down toward slickrock ...about a half mile around
the bend and on the other side of the lake.

Opus
December 25th, 2006, 11:28 PM
"jeff" > wrote in message
> here are a few photos of western nc waters. this is the nantahala up
> near old river road.

Is that ice in the trees?

You know you shouldn't fish alone on slick rocks. You should always pick up
your buddy Opie and take him fishin' with ya!

Op

jeff
December 25th, 2006, 11:34 PM
1st photo is from the lake entry to slickrock creek...white water is the
creek flowing into the lake. the other two are of pools of calm water
about 1/4-1/2 mile upstream. lower slickrock has several stretches of
calm water like these.

jeff
December 25th, 2006, 11:36 PM

jeff
December 25th, 2006, 11:40 PM
the lower falls, about 1.5-2 miles (?) upstream. they are 15-20 feet.

jeff
December 25th, 2006, 11:44 PM
calderwood lake, on the tennessee side.

Charlie Choc
December 25th, 2006, 11:49 PM
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 18:21:43 -0500, jeff > wrote:

>here are a few photos of western nc waters.

Pretty stuff Jeff. Thanks and happy holiday to you too.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

Opus
December 25th, 2006, 11:51 PM
"jeff" > wrote in message
> calderwood lake, on the tennessee side.

Great pics all, Mr. Miller!

Did ya catch any fish on this trip, or were you fishin' dryz the whole time?

Op

jeff
December 26th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Opus wrote:

> "jeff" > wrote in message
>
>>here are a few photos of western nc waters. this is the nantahala up
>>near old river road.
>

> Is that ice in the trees?
>
> You know you shouldn't fish alone on slick rocks. You should always pick up
> your buddy Opie and take him fishin' with ya!
>
> Op

no ice. it was frosty overnight on saturday, ice on truck windshield. i
think it got down to 32 overnight. it was in the 40s when i put the
gheenoe in, but the day was sunny and warm on sunday. got up to 60 at
one point. water was very cold though and fish were sluggish...i walked
up to one sitting on a ledge and swam a wooly bugger into him. he never
moved. however, when i moved closer to noodle him, he took off.

last time i heard, you said you weren't ever going back to that area of
the state. <g> i'll let you know the next time through. you're always
welcome company. i'd like to camp on slickrock sometime...hazel, eagle,
and forney too...so take your pick.

jeff

jeff
December 26th, 2006, 12:06 AM
jeff wrote:

> 1st photo is from the lake entry to slickrock creek...white water is the
> creek flowing into the lake. the other two are of pools of calm water
> about 1/4-1/2 mile upstream. lower slickrock has several stretches of
> calm water like these.

ooops...goofed...1st photo is upstream too, not the lake entry.

jeff

jeff
December 26th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Opus wrote:

> "jeff" > wrote in message
>
>>calderwood lake, on the tennessee side.
>

> Great pics all, Mr. Miller!
>
> Did ya catch any fish on this trip, or were you fishin' dryz the whole time?
>
> Op

fished very little and even then without much focus or purpose...just
dry flies, except for a brief fling with a wooly bugger at a fish i
spotted. but did have two nice swirls at a parachute adams. water was
real cold and vodka clear. i enjoyed the hike and scenery. it reminded
me of your favorite stream...held tight in a deep ravine with limited
access. doesn't have as many deep pools and pockets though.

Opus
December 26th, 2006, 12:29 AM
"jeff" > wrote in message

> no ice. it was frosty overnight on saturday, ice on truck windshield. i
> think it got down to 32 overnight. it was in the 40s when i put the
> gheenoe in, but the day was sunny and warm on sunday. got up to 60 at one
> point. water was very cold though and fish were sluggish...i walked up to
> one sitting on a ledge and swam a wooly bugger into him. he never moved.
> however, when i moved closer to noodle him, he took off.

Yeah, I've never had much success on cold overcast dayz, with dry flyz. I
have coaxed a trout or two, but generally they are just too content to sit
there and watch my fly go by.

> last time i heard, you said you weren't ever going back to that area of
> the state. <g>

Well yeah, what with all those scary Deliverance tales you tell!

>i'll let you know the next time through. you're always welcome company.
>i'd like to camp on slickrock sometime...hazel, eagle, and forney too...so
>take your pick.

You make the call, as you know the area. I'll bring the anti-Deliverance
weapons.

Op

> jeff

Opus
December 26th, 2006, 12:32 AM
"jeff" > wrote in message

> fished very little and even then without much focus or purpose...just dry
> flies, except for a brief fling with a wooly bugger at a fish i spotted.
> but did have two nice swirls at a parachute adams. water was real cold and
> vodka clear. i enjoyed the hike and scenery. it reminded me of your
> favorite stream...held tight in a deep ravine with limited access. doesn't
> have as many deep pools and pockets though.

Yeah, thankfully, any day on the stream is better than any day away from it.

Op