PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Willi

Peter Charles
September 21st, 2003, 11:05 PM
one of your little bugs saved a skunking.

Made my last trip to the brown trout section of the Grand before it
shuts down on Sept. 30th. and nobody was doing well. There were
fishing rising all over the place but we were lucky to get one each.
This was technical with a capital "T". The guy beside me was using 8X
FC for ****'s sake. Downstream presentation with 7X or better was the
only way to get them to even consider refusing!!!

I went out there with my little Winston with the notion of slinging
streamers in off-colour water after Isabelle. Instead, it's high but
clear, high sun, and they won't touch one. So there I am with the
wrong rod, no decent leaders, and rising fish. At least I had your
little bugs or I'd have been 0 fer 3. Wanna know how frustrating it
is to watch dink after dink refuse? The only thing they took was your
#20 olive caddis emerger.

I'm going to save this post as a reminder. I have to stop fishing
the way I like it and start fishing the way the fish like it.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
http://www.easternclave.ca

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Warren
September 22nd, 2003, 01:58 PM
wrote...
> one of your little bugs saved a skunking.
>
> Made my last trip to the brown trout section of the Grand before it
> shuts down on Sept. 30th. and nobody was doing well. There were
> fishing rising all over the place but we were lucky to get one each.
> This was technical with a capital "T". The guy beside me was using 8X
> FC for ****'s sake. Downstream presentation with 7X or better was the
> only way to get them to even consider refusing!!!

That can't happen! FC has an index of refraction closer to
water! <bseg>
--
Warren (who doesn't have tippet that goes up to 11 like the
Pirate's)

Willi
September 22nd, 2003, 07:59 PM
Peter Charles wrote:
> one of your little bugs saved a skunking.
> The only thing they took was your
> #20 olive caddis emerger.
>
> I'm going to save this post as a reminder. I have to stop fishing
> the way I like it and start fishing the way the fish like it.

Thanks for the compliment, but you did the hard part. There are lots of
good flies out there. The hard part is knowing when to use them.

Willi

Peter Charles
September 23rd, 2003, 12:42 AM
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:59:51 -0600, Willi > wrote:

>Peter Charles wrote:
>> one of your little bugs saved a skunking.
>> The only thing they took was your
>> #20 olive caddis emerger.
>>
>> I'm going to save this post as a reminder. I have to stop fishing
>> the way I like it and start fishing the way the fish like it.
>>

>Thanks for the compliment, but you did the hard part. There are lots of
>good flies out there. The hard part is knowing when to use them.
>
>Willi

You western guys would've loved it Sunday, lots of fish, very
un-spooky but hyper-selective. The best approach was a long rod with
a factory FC leader down to 7X, and presenting the fly with no flyline
in contact with the water. Since I only had crappy, old leaders and a
short rod, I had too much line in the water = drag.

The prevailing winds always blows your leader up current so if your
line hits the water, you start off dragging. Reach mends only
partially solve the problem. My old, crappy leaders kept collapsing
which solve the initial drag problem but it placed a pile of tippet
around the fly which turned off the fish. I couldn't get a fly to
turnover to save my life.

The fish have even developed sound effects for their refusals so you
*know* when they show their disdain. I swear one spit on the fly.

Did I tell you it was frustrating?

The fly saved the day.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
http://www.easternclave.ca

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Willi
September 24th, 2003, 04:33 AM
Peter Charles wrote:

> The fish have even developed sound effects for their refusals so you
> *know* when they show their disdain. I swear one spit on the fly.

I've heard that sound before. You know things are going to be tough when
that happens!

Willi