PDA

View Full Version : Progress

Bob Patton
September 22nd, 2003, 03:30 AM
Sign seen yesterday on an alleged "Fly Shop" beside US 441 in Cherokee NC:

"Orvis - Winston - T&T - Live Bait"

Just thought it was interesting.
Bob

Frank Reid
September 22nd, 2003, 04:06 AM
> Sign seen yesterday on an alleged "Fly Shop" beside US 441 in Cherokee NC:
>
> "Orvis - Winston - T&T - Live Bait"

Saw a "post Isabel" sign the other day. Two signs, both for a new set of
townhouses. First one... "If you lived here" The second one, normally says
"You would be home now" Well, the second sign is buried under a broken
tree. Some one wrote on the back of a plastic real estate sign "you would
be still digging out and not have any power" and then put it on the broken
tree. Effective advertising.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Mu Young Lee
September 23rd, 2003, 09:18 AM
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, it was written:

> Sign seen yesterday on an alleged "Fly Shop" beside US 441 in Cherokee NC:
>
> "Orvis - Winston - T&T - Live Bait"

My local fly shop sells bait.

Mu

George Adams
September 23rd, 2003, 09:17 PM
>From: Mu Young Lee

>My local fly shop sells bait.

Most (but not all) small fly shops in New England also sell bait and spinning
tackle. Classic and Custom Flies in New Hartford, CT is an exception, i.e. FF
only, and I'm sure there are others, but most have to diversify in order to
survive.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Rusty Hook
September 23rd, 2003, 11:27 PM
> On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, it was written:
>
> > Sign seen yesterday on an alleged "Fly Shop" beside US 441 in Cherokee
NC:

> > "Orvis - Winston - T&T - Live Bait"

> My local fly shop sells bait.
>
> Mu

So does mine.

--
Rusty Hook
Laramie, Wyoming

Skwala
September 24th, 2003, 12:24 AM
"Rusty Hook" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, it was written:
> >
> > > Sign seen yesterday on an alleged "Fly Shop" beside US 441 in Cherokee
> NC:
> > >
> > > "Orvis - Winston - T&T - Live Bait"
>
> > My local fly shop sells bait.
> >
> > Mu
>
> So does mine.
>
> --
> Rusty Hook
> Laramie, Wyoming

I used to run a fly shop that sold bait and spin gear, a new owner bought it
and first thing he did was throw out all the bait and hardware.

Can't say that revenue went up, but it did seem that a higher grade of
customer resulted.

No offense to any bait flingers on the group.

BTW, do you ever notice that the majority of litter you see streamside are
empty beer cans, snelled hook packaging, and bait containers?

Thats the case on my rivers...

Skwala

Ken Fortenberry
September 24th, 2003, 12:31 AM
Skwala wrote:

> I used to run a fly shop that sold bait and spin gear, a new owner bought it
> and first thing he did was throw out all the bait and hardware.
>
> Can't say that revenue went up, but it did seem that a higher grade of
> customer resulted.
>
> No offense to any bait flingers on the group.
>
> BTW, do you ever notice that the majority of litter you see streamside are
> empty beer cans, snelled hook packaging, and bait containers?
>
> Thats the case on my rivers...

I daresay that's the case on most rivers, but you're about to hear the
enraged howls of the anti-elitists and the reverse snobs. They like to
think of themselves as egalitarians and the unadorned truth offends
their "everyman" sensibilities.

If I were you I wouldn't take it personally.

Good luck, hang in there, and thanks for your candor.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Willi
September 24th, 2003, 04:32 AM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
> Skwala wrote:
>

>> I used to run a fly shop that sold bait and spin gear, a new owner
>> bought it
>> and first thing he did was throw out all the bait and hardware.
>>
>> Can't say that revenue went up, but it did seem that a higher grade of
>> customer resulted.
>>
>> No offense to any bait flingers on the group.
>>
>> BTW, do you ever notice that the majority of litter you see streamside
>> are
>> empty beer cans, snelled hook packaging, and bait containers?
>>
>> Thats the case on my rivers...
>

> I daresay that's the case on most rivers, but you're about to hear the
> enraged howls of the anti-elitists and the reverse snobs. They like to
> think of themselves as egalitarians and the unadorned truth offends
> their "everyman" sensibilities.
>
> If I were you I wouldn't take it personally.
>
> Good luck, hang in there, and thanks for your candor.

That's the "case" on many rivers. Seems to me that beer cans are the
number one litter item. However, I don't know how you can blame the beer
cans just on bait fishermen. I also see beer cans on C&R waters. They
also seem to be the number one item of roadside litter. If you feel a
need to pigeon hole people, maybe it's the beer drinkers............

Willi

Wayne Knight
September 24th, 2003, 05:30 AM
"Willi" > wrote in message

> need to pigeon hole people, maybe it's the beer drinkers............

well that would leave the budweiser lovers out of that group eh?

Frank Reid
September 24th, 2003, 11:31 AM
> > need to pigeon hole people, maybe it's the beer drinkers............
> well that would leave the budweiser lovers out of that group eh?

I love it when a shot across the bow goes right through the wheel house.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Stan Gula
September 24th, 2003, 01:34 PM
"Willi" > wrote:
> That's the "case" on many rivers. Seems to me that beer cans are the
> number one litter item. However, I don't know how you can blame the beer
> cans just on bait fishermen. I also see beer cans on C&R waters. They
> also seem to be the number one item of roadside litter. If you feel a
> need to pigeon hole people, maybe it's the beer drinkers............

FWIW: The fish ladder I volunteer at has a set of strainers at the entrance
to the power canal to keep out debris, and three automated rakes to keep the
screens clean. A huge amount of debris comes down the river and gets piled
up behind the rakes and I spent some time sifting through the piles for
entertainment.

I can report that the beer of choice among people who throw their cans into
the Westfield River is Bud and a close second is Bud Light.

We also got a large number of foam worm containers and Dunkin Donuts coffee
cups.

Scott Seidman
September 24th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Ken Fortenberry > wrote in
.com:

> Skwala wrote:
>>
>> I used to run a fly shop that sold bait and spin gear, a new owner
>> bought it and first thing he did was throw out all the bait and
>> hardware.
>>
>> Can't say that revenue went up, but it did seem that a higher grade
>> of customer resulted.
>>
>> No offense to any bait flingers on the group.
>>
>> BTW, do you ever notice that the majority of litter you see
>> streamside are empty beer cans, snelled hook packaging, and bait
>> containers?
>>
>> Thats the case on my rivers...
>
> I daresay that's the case on most rivers, but you're about to hear the
> enraged howls of the anti-elitists and the reverse snobs. They like to
> think of themselves as egalitarians and the unadorned truth offends
> their "everyman" sensibilities.
>
> If I were you I wouldn't take it personally.
>
> Good luck, hang in there, and thanks for your candor.

Doesn't necessarily mean that fly fishermen are more environmentally
aware-- just that we often generate less trash. We leave our wasted mono
in 2" lengths.

Scott

Skwala
September 25th, 2003, 05:46 AM
"Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:24:01 -0700, "Skwala"
> > wrote:
>

> >Can't say that revenue went up, but it did seem that a higher grade of
> >customer resulted.
> >
> >No offense to any bait flingers on the group.
>
> Bullpucky.
>
> Do you still run this shop, and where is it ?
> Wouldn't want to stumble into it by accident...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ahhh, no I'm out of the Biz these days...

And by "higher grade of customer" I mean larger sales per customer... it
takes the just about the same amount of time to sell a bank sitter a $1.95
worth of nightcrawlers as it does to sell a fisherman a pile of
self-selected flies, tippet spools and gee gaws.

The shop's still there (MT), but if you took offence at what I wrote, I
doubt you need to worry about "accidentally" shopping there... konyeshna...

Skwala
September 25th, 2003, 11:52 PM
"Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:46:22 -0700, "Skwala"
> > wrote:
>

> >ahhh, no I'm out of the Biz these days...
>

> That makes sense.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As a matter of fact, it does, not that you should have a clue.

But your subtle dig that I wasn't good at it really ruined my day...

Well, actually, it didn't, but I hope you had fun.

Ken Fortenberry
September 26th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Skwala wrote:

> As a matter of fact, it does, not that you should have a clue.
>
> But your subtle dig that I wasn't good at it really ruined my day...
>
> Well, actually, it didn't, but I hope you had fun.

Remember, I did warn you not to take it personally.

Some "egalitarians" around here act ashamed of themselves for being
elite fishermen. They will go to great lengths to tell you of a
fly fisherman who chews tobacco, wears ratty clothes and is mean to
his dog while at the same time telling you of the cousin of their
sister-in-law's stepfather who is a bait fisherman who graduated from
Yale with honors.

A few of them really do know their asses from a hole in the ground, but
some sort of perverse anti-elitist "ethic" prevents them from acknowledging
candor.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Frank Reid
September 26th, 2003, 03:16 AM
> A few of them really do know their asses from a hole in the ground, but
> some sort of perverse anti-elitist "ethic" prevents them from
acknowledging
> candor.

Is cuz them candors is almost stinct, so most folks never seen one. Kinda
like religin, kent knowledge wuts cha tain't seen. Where wuz I? Oh yeh,
stinct candors. Saw one guy's got one a them their fission flies made out
of a candor. Heard they'r pretty good tastin' too (candors, not flies).
Kinda like a cross betwixt a bald eagle and a sea otter.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Clark Reid
October 1st, 2003, 09:33 PM
Picked this up on another newsgroup... thought it would fit .... :)

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fly fish and

he'll become an arrogant S.O.B. arguing for dry fly fishing, nymph

fishing, or whether the his rod has a warranty on it."
--
Clark Reid
http://www.dryflynz.com

Clark Reid