PDA

View Full Version : Only catching small crabs?

February 24th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I'm new to potting and just starting to try my hand with a couple of
fold up pots. On my first couple of attempts in the south east in
some gullys at the end of rocks at low tide I've picked up a dozen or
two small crabs in each pot. Is this a function of being so close to
the shore, the time of year (mid February) or a combination of these?

Any goods tips for picking up decent sized crabs and lobsters? Do I
need to go deeper using a boat? Should I be potting the pots out over
rocks or sand?

Lol

Derek Moody
February 24th, 2007, 08:39 PM
In article . com>,
> wrote:
> I'm new to potting and just starting to try my hand with a couple of
> fold up pots. On my first couple of attempts in the south east in
> some gullys at the end of rocks at low tide I've picked up a dozen or
> two small crabs in each pot. Is this a function of being so close to
> the shore, the time of year (mid February) or a combination of these?
>
> Any goods tips for picking up decent sized crabs and lobsters? Do I
> need to go deeper using a boat? Should I be potting the pots out over
> rocks or sand?

How deep are you fishing? 8m is about the minimum in warmer weather and at
this time of year it could be double that. Where there is a -big- tidal
range (Channel Is. Bristol Channel - over 10m) you can find good sized crabs
under the rocks at low spring tides.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Lol
February 24th, 2007, 10:20 PM
On Feb 24, 8:39 pm, Derek Moody > wrote:
> In article . com>,
>
> > wrote:
> > I'm new to potting and just starting to try my hand with a couple of
> > fold up pots. On my first couple of attempts in the south east in
> > some gullys at the end of rocks at low tide I've picked up a dozen or
> > two small crabs in each pot. Is this a function of being so close to
> > the shore, the time of year (mid February) or a combination of these?
>
> > Any goods tips for picking up decent sized crabs and lobsters? Do I
> > need to go deeper using a boat? Should I be potting the pots out over
> > rocks or sand?
>
> How deep are you fishing? 8m is about the minimum in warmer weather and at
> this time of year it could be double that. Where there is a -big- tidal
> range (Channel Is. Bristol Channel - over 10m) you can find good sized crabs
> under the rocks at low spring tides.
>
> Cheerio,
>
> --
> Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
> Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/
> uk.rec.fishing.game Badge Page:
> http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/urfg/

I'm probably no more than 5 or 6 metres deep at high tide, which
probably explains the results that I'm getting. Should the pots be
over rocks, or on sloping sand as I've read elsewhere?

Derek Moody
February 25th, 2007, 06:35 AM
In article om>, Lol
> wrote:

> I'm probably no more than 5 or 6 metres deep at high tide, which
> probably explains the results that I'm getting. Should the pots be
> over rocks, or on sloping sand as I've read elsewhere?

Although they will, eventually, get everywhere it's worth following the
example of the commercial potters. They always drop their post close to,
'though not necessarily among, rocks - to much chance of losing a string.

If you want spider crabs they're more likely to be on the sand btw.

Cheerio,