PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a Winter Trip

Willi
September 22nd, 2003, 07:57 PM
I've finally convinced Susan to fly (she hasn't flown in over 20 years)
and we're planning a Winter trip, probably sometime between mid January
and February. I'm looking for some suggestions. Looking for warmth, some
fishing, things to see, snorkeling or ??? New Zealand is appealing to
us both, but after such a long flight, I don't think I'd ever get her
back on a plane and we'd be stuck there (which may not be a terrible
thing). The point being that a long flight probably isn't a good idea
since I'd like to do this again. I want to avoid a heavy tourist area.
I'd prefer something like a fishing village or some other place with
some native character. Don't need "fancy" accommodations, but safe and
clean.

Willi

Charlie Choc
September 22nd, 2003, 08:01 PM
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:57:53 -0600, Willi > wrote:

>I've finally convinced Susan to fly (she hasn't flown in over 20 years)
>and we're planning a Winter trip, probably sometime between mid January
>and February. I'm looking for some suggestions.

Ambergris Caye, Belize.
--
Charlie...

slenon
September 22nd, 2003, 08:22 PM
Maybe the Gulf Coast of Fl would fit the bill. You can go as cheaply or as
upscale as you like. The area I fish is wadeable all year round with
multiple species that you can lie to and entice onto your hook. The area is
also within spitting distance of great beaches that offer opportunities to
defeat jet lag and entertain your mind and eyes.

There's no village per se, but lots of folks here will help you find the
fish. You're only a short hop from the Bahamas then if you want to snorkle
reefs.

--

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

jack schmitt KQ4C
September 22nd, 2003, 09:57 PM
Willi wrote:

> I've finally convinced Susan to fly (she hasn't flown in over 20 years)
> and we're planning a Winter trip, probably sometime between mid January
> and February. I'm looking for some suggestions. Looking for warmth, some
> fishing, things to see, snorkeling or ??? New Zealand is appealing to
> us both, but after such a long flight, I don't think I'd ever get her
> back on a plane and we'd be stuck there (which may not be a terrible
> thing). The point being that a long flight probably isn't a good idea
> since I'd like to do this again. I want to avoid a heavy tourist area.
> I'd prefer something like a fishing village or some other place with
> some native character. Don't need "fancy" accommodations, but safe and
> clean.
>
> Willi

If you want some good salt water fly fishing try Casa Blanca Lodge,
south of Cancun. My wife has been with me twice and enjoyed the trip
greatly. It is located on the south side of Ascension Bay just north of
belize. Bone fish, Permit with an occasional Tarpon.

Jack in TN.

Norton 2003 scanned. Virus free, I hope.

rakane at verizon dot net
September 23rd, 2003, 03:44 AM
Do you have any info on the Miami area fishing? I've got a few days in the
area and was thinking of some fishing, but don't know what might be good
there.
"slenon" > wrote in message
> Maybe the Gulf Coast of Fl would fit the bill. You can go as cheaply or
as
> upscale as you like. The area I fish is wadeable all year round with
> multiple species that you can lie to and entice onto your hook. The area
is
> also within spitting distance of great beaches that offer opportunities to
> defeat jet lag and entertain your mind and eyes.
>
> There's no village per se, but lots of folks here will help you find the
> fish. You're only a short hop from the Bahamas then if you want to
snorkle
> reefs.
>
> --
>
> ----
> Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
> Drowning flies to Darkstar
> Save a cow, eat a PETA
>
> http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

riverman
September 23rd, 2003, 08:14 AM
"Willi" > wrote in message
> I've finally convinced Susan to fly (she hasn't flown in over 20 years)
> and we're planning a Winter trip, probably sometime between mid January
> and February. I'm looking for some suggestions. Looking for warmth, some
> fishing, things to see, snorkeling or ??? New Zealand is appealing to
> us both, but after such a long flight, I don't think I'd ever get her
> back on a plane and we'd be stuck there (which may not be a terrible
> thing). The point being that a long flight probably isn't a good idea
> since I'd like to do this again. I want to avoid a heavy tourist area.
> I'd prefer something like a fishing village or some other place with
> some native character. Don't need "fancy" accommodations, but safe and
> clean.

Ever think about South Africa, Willi? The flight is a bit longish (14 hours
from Atlanta), but that just adds an exotic flavor to it, and once you
arrive prices are about 2/3 what they are in the US, and the region is very
beautiful, first-world, with anything you want in the way of rental cars,
food and accomodation. There is a great fishing region about 2 hours NE of
Johannesburg that you can take a scenic road up to, and I rented a very nice
cabin there for $20 a night, maid included. You can take a side trip to
Krueger park and see the lions and elephants, and you can fish for browns,
bows and yellows in stocked ponds or streams.

--riverman

Bill Kiene
September 23rd, 2003, 08:32 AM
Willi,

Some nice fishing villages I have visited:

Isla Holbox, MX Yucatan

Cay Caulker, Belize

Placencia, Belize

Ambergris Cay, Belize, has gotten to be a little upscale in comparison to
the above villages but is a great place as is Isla Cozumel, MX Yucatan.

Ascension Bay, MX Yucatan, is a wonderful place as well.

All this is on the web. Let me know if you need any advise as you get closer
to your decision.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"Willi" > wrote in message

> I've finally convinced Susan to fly (she hasn't flown in over 20 years)
> and we're planning a Winter trip, probably sometime between mid January
> and February. I'm looking for some suggestions. Looking for warmth, some
> fishing, things to see, snorkeling or ??? New Zealand is appealing to
> us both, but after such a long flight, I don't think I'd ever get her
> back on a plane and we'd be stuck there (which may not be a terrible
> thing). The point being that a long flight probably isn't a good idea
> since I'd like to do this again. I want to avoid a heavy tourist area.
> I'd prefer something like a fishing village or some other place with
> some native character. Don't need "fancy" accommodations, but safe and
> clean.
>
> Willi

JR
September 23rd, 2003, 09:16 AM
Willi wrote:

> I've finally convinced Susan to fly (she hasn't flown in over 20 years)
> and we're planning a Winter trip, probably sometime between mid January
> and February. I'm looking for some suggestions. Looking for warmth, some
> fishing, things to see, snorkeling or ??? New Zealand is appealing to
> us both, but after such a long flight, I don't think I'd ever get her
> back on a plane and we'd be stuck there (which may not be a terrible
> thing). The point being that a long flight probably isn't a good idea
> since I'd like to do this again. I want to avoid a heavy tourist area.
> I'd prefer something like a fishing village or some other place with
> some native character. Don't need "fancy" accommodations, but safe and
> clean.

Not much to see but the sky and the trees and the sea, but for laid
back, low-key, snorkeling, fishing and snoozing, you may want to look at
Tobacco Cay, Belize.

JR

Ken Fortenberry
September 23rd, 2003, 01:56 PM
Willi wrote:

> I've finally convinced Susan to fly (she hasn't flown in over 20 years)
> and we're planning a Winter trip, probably sometime between mid January
> and February. I'm looking for some suggestions. Looking for warmth, some
> fishing, things to see, snorkeling or ??? New Zealand is appealing to
> us both, but after such a long flight, I don't think I'd ever get her
> back on a plane and we'd be stuck there (which may not be a terrible
> thing). The point being that a long flight probably isn't a good idea
> since I'd like to do this again. I want to avoid a heavy tourist area.
> I'd prefer something like a fishing village or some other place with
> some native character. Don't need "fancy" accommodations, but safe and
> clean.

One of the best kept secrets in Montana is how well the upper Gallatin
fishes in the winter. You can't fish in the Park but you'll have the
water between the Park boundary and here http://www.rainbowranch.com/
virtually all to yourself. I highly recommend The Rainbow Ranch. I spent
a week there two winters ago and it was very comfortable. The restaurant
is as good as any I've ever encountered in Montana.

As for other things to do, you can ski in the Park if you like backcountry
skiing, there's groomed trails nearby if you like regular skinny skis, a
snowcoach tour of the Park is just down the road in West Yellowstone and
for weird and exotic native "character" you can go up to the ski resort in
Big Sky one night and party with the snowboarders. (Well, either that or
drive over and fish DePuy's with Warren. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry
September 23rd, 2003, 02:31 PM
rw wrote:

> ... It is, however, a great
> place for an elitist dilettante with more money than sense.

So, you've been there, I take it.

--
Ken Fortenberry- they must have raised the rates since I was there ;-)

rw
September 23rd, 2003, 03:09 PM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:

> I highly recommend The Rainbow Ranch.

At approximately $180/day? I don't think so. It is, however, a great
place for an elitist dilettante with more money than sense.

Ken Fortenberry
September 23rd, 2003, 03:11 PM
rw wrote:
> I suppose if you're saving up for a once-a-year week-long fishing
> vacation, something like the Rainbow Ranch might make sense.

Look at it this way, two people can stay for a week in comfort for
the price of the round-trip airline tickets to New Zealand.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Charlie Choc
September 23rd, 2003, 03:19 PM
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:11:52 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
> wrote:

>rw wrote:
>> I suppose if you're saving up for a once-a-year week-long fishing
>> vacation, something like the Rainbow Ranch might make sense.
>
>Look at it this way, two people can stay for a week in comfort for
>the price of the round-trip airline tickets to New Zealand.

How's the snorkeling there?
--
Charlie...

Tim J.
September 23rd, 2003, 03:42 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote...
> rw wrote:
> > I suppose if you're saving up for a once-a-year week-long fishing
> > vacation, something like the Rainbow Ranch might make sense.
>
> Look at it this way, two people can stay for a week in comfort for
> the price of the round-trip airline tickets to New Zealand.

Since the number one item on Willi's criteria list was "warmth" and he mentions
"snorkeling", the price of Rainbow Ranch probably doesn't matter much to him.
;-)
--
TL,
Tim

rw
September 23rd, 2003, 03:45 PM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
> rw wrote:
>
>> ... It is, however, a great place for an elitist dilettante with more
>> money than sense.
>

> So, you've been there, I take it.

Nope. I've been to places like it, though. It's not my cup of tea at all.

I suppose if you're saving up for a once-a-year week-long fishing
vacation, something like the Rainbow Ranch might make sense.

Ken Fortenberry
September 23rd, 2003, 03:56 PM
rw wrote:

> Look at it this way. You can go to Argentina in the winter (their
> summer) and get about a 3:1 advantage on your dollar, ...

How's the snorkeling there ?

--
Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry
September 23rd, 2003, 04:17 PM
Tim J. wrote:

> Since the number one item on Willi's criteria list was "warmth" ...

Coming from the midwest like I do, I gotta tell you, 20F on a bright
sunny day in the bone dry air at 5000 to 7000 ft IS warm. Practically
balmy. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

rw
September 23rd, 2003, 04:28 PM
Charlie Choc wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:11:52 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
> > wrote:
>

>>rw wrote:

>>>I suppose if you're saving up for a once-a-year week-long fishing
>>>vacation, something like the Rainbow Ranch might make sense.
>>
>>Look at it this way, two people can stay for a week in comfort for
>>the price of the round-trip airline tickets to New Zealand.
>

> How's the snorkeling there?

Cold.

Look at it this way. You can go to Argentina in the winter (their
summer) and get about a 3:1 advantage on your dollar, and the fishing is
one HELL OF A LOT better than the Gallatin in the winter.

rw
September 23rd, 2003, 05:56 PM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:

> How's the snorkeling there ?

Bring a wetsuit.

Clark Reid
September 23rd, 2003, 07:16 PM
Willi,

Maybe give NZ another thought... If you time it right you get on the plane
in L.A. take a sleeping pil, wake up in Auckland good to go.

I gather from your thinking you probably wont go down that road, but if you
do let me know and I'll make sure I get a day set aside to show you some of
my favortie places.

--
Clark Reid
http://www.dryflynz.com

Clark Reid
September 23rd, 2003, 07:20 PM
> Look at it this way, two people can stay for a week in comfort for
> the price of the round-trip airline tickets to New Zealand.

Then it would make more sense to be in New Zealand... especially as in
winter in the US it would be the middle of summer in NZ, less people, bigger
fish, no bears, no snakes.... <rest of government sponsored commercial
snipped>....

--
Clark Reid
http://www.dryflynz.com

Larry L
September 24th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Ask Susan

After 27 very happy years with my bride ... I go on my vacations, alone,
where she's not interested ... Montana ...she goes on ones alone where I'm
not too interested ...Europe

And we go on some together .... where she wants to go and I can survive
without dying of boredom or claustrophobia <G>

Works well for us

September 24th, 2003, 03:37 AM
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 06:20:13 +1200, "Clark Reid"
> wrote:

>Then it would make more sense to be in New Zealand... especially as in
>winter in the US it would be the middle of summer in NZ, less people, bigger
>fish, no bears, no snakes.... <rest of government sponsored commercial
>snipped>....

If you go to NZ, you drink Steinlager. If you go anywhere in the
Rockies, you drink Coor's.

OTOH, that twelve-hour trans-Pac flight may be the wrong choice for
someone who hasn't flown in 20 years. I fly every few months, and the
LAX-Auckland-Melbourne beats the crap out of me.

Being stuck in Australia or NZ would be pretty cool, although I don't
see being allowed to continue my profession over there. I didn't look
too deeply, but there's that whole citizenship thing...

Mike S. Medintz >
"if one feels compelled to wear a sweatshirt over one's bikini for an
"after" pic, it's probably not really an after." -Sarah Jane, in m.f.w

B J Conner
September 24th, 2003, 04:26 AM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
.com...
> rw wrote:
> >
> > Look at it this way. You can go to Argentina in the winter (their
> > summer) and get about a 3:1 advantage on your dollar, ...
>
> How's the snorkeling there ?
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

Stay off the beach!
http://www.biganimals.com/argentina_orca_g12.html

Willi
September 24th, 2003, 04:33 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. We're giving Belize a hard look. Caye
Caulker strikes me as a funky, laid back, less developed Caye that seems
like it would fit us. Then maybe a few days in the Placencia area to see
some ruins and rain forests.

Still open to other suggestions.

Willi

daytripper
September 24th, 2003, 05:13 AM
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:33:42 -0600, Willi > wrote:

>Thanks for the suggestions. We're giving Belize a hard look. Caye
>Caulker strikes me as a funky, laid back, less developed Caye that seems
>like it would fit us. Then maybe a few days in the Placencia area to see
>some ruins and rain forests.
>
>Still open to other suggestions.

British Virgin Islands.

Charlie Choc
September 24th, 2003, 10:38 AM
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 00:13:23 -0400, daytripper
> wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:33:42 -0600, Willi > wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the suggestions. We're giving Belize a hard look. Caye
>>Caulker strikes me as a funky, laid back, less developed Caye that seems
>>like it would fit us. Then maybe a few days in the Placencia area to see
>>some ruins and rain forests.
>>
>>Still open to other suggestions.
>
>British Virgin Islands.

Nice there, for sure - but I bet you'd love Belize.
--
Charlie...

Clark Reid
September 24th, 2003, 12:07 PM

> If you go to NZ, you drink Steinlager. If you go anywhere in the
> Rockies, you drink Coor's.

Oh heck, that's just for the tourists :) If you find yourself here again try
Tui or DB Draught or DB Export. If in the South then definately drink
SPEIGHTS! "Pride of the South" and if you can get it try the West Coast
South Island "Monteiths"... that's a beer so good I worte a song about
it....

Even better, if any of you do find yourselves down here... get in touch and
we'll try the bloody lot!

<snip>
> Being stuck in Australia or NZ would be pretty cool, although I don't
> see being allowed to continue my profession over there. I didn't look
> too deeply, but there's that whole citizenship thing...

Citizenship isn't easy, but it is doable, there's plenty of other expat US
people here.

--
Clark Reid
http://www.dryflynz.com