PDA

View Full Version : TR-Penn's post-Isabel

Tom Littleton
September 23rd, 2003, 12:54 AM
Arrived in Coburn,PA around mid-day Friday. Isabel had largely departed,
leaving behind quite a bit of unneeded water in the Penn's Creek Valley. For
those of you familiar with this water gauge, we were over the seat on the
picnic table. I had to drive the Fishing Car through a couple of feeders up by
Potter's Mills, but arrived to a largely untouched campground, with full
electric(which was something Coburn proper lacked until later Saturday). Given
the local conditions, Handyman Mike(who had battened down the hatches and
ridden out the storm in the trailer) and I made plans to head to Young Woman's
Creek....yet again.
The drive to YWC was an adventure, largely due to fog and the occaisional
downed tree. We breakfasted in Renovo, PA, where power was on, but phones were
out. The creek itself was perfect, running well, but nowhere near flooded. As
in prior visits, an assorment of browns and brookies spent large parts of the
next two days attacking our surface flies. For the record, they took Slate
Drakes, Yellow Stimulators and Blue Winged Olives, which resembled the major
food items. They also gladly ate Patriots and to some extent, Royal Wulffs.
All in all, a #16 Patriot was the most successful fly overall, so go figure.
Decent nature sightings, largely deer(some real close up), although we saw a
large raptor(unidentified) with something in its talons, and I spooked a small
bear (we both moved apart quickly). Oddest bug life was the presence of very
large( nearly
two inches long) yellow stoneflies, which were numerous. They dove onto the
water at times(egg laying?). Also noted were: Slate Drakes, BWO's, little
Olives,
Mahogany Duns, Tan Caddis, smaller greenish Stoneflies, and monster sized
Dragonflies. A good time, with much brush and rock negotiation was had by
all....even though only two of us from ROFF showed up(although Gene Cyprich was
there the whole week of the hurricane, both fishing and watching Kent State
play football<g>).
Tom

Willi
September 24th, 2003, 04:32 AM
Tom Littleton wrote:
> Arrived in Coburn,PA around mid-day Friday. Isabel had largely departed,
> leaving behind quite a bit of unneeded water in the Penn's Creek Valley. For
> those of you familiar with this water gauge, we were over the seat on the
> picnic table.

Does Penns ever run high and relatively clear?

Willi

Tom Littleton
September 24th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Willi asks:
>Does Penns ever run high and relatively clear?

yes, but seldom. I have seen it that way in early season, but more often than
not, it is murky when high.
Tom

Frank Reid
September 24th, 2003, 11:29 AM
>A good time, with much brush and rock negotiation was had by
> all....even though only two of us from ROFF showed up(although Gene
Cyprich was
> there the whole week of the hurricane, both fishing and watching Kent
State
> play football<g>).
> Tom

Any size to those fish? Details man, we need details.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Stan Gula
September 24th, 2003, 01:35 PM
> Tom Littleton wrote:
> Arrived in Coburn,PA around mid-day Friday. Isabel had largely departed,
> leaving behind quite a bit of unneeded water in the Penn's Creek Valley.
For
> those of you familiar with this water gauge, we were over the seat on the
> picnic table.

Was there a fish holding behind the picnic table?

Scott Seidman
September 24th, 2003, 01:45 PM
"Stan Gula" > wrote in
:

>> Tom Littleton wrote:
>> Arrived in Coburn,PA around mid-day Friday. Isabel had largely
>> departed, leaving behind quite a bit of unneeded water in the Penn's
>> Creek Valley.
> For
>> those of you familiar with this water gauge, we were over the seat on
>> the picnic table.
>
> Was there a fish holding behind the picnic table?

If there was, he was probably holding on to the table with his teeth!!

Scott

William Claspy
September 24th, 2003, 01:56 PM
On 9/24/03 8:45 AM, in article
, "Scott Seidman"
> wrote:

> "Stan Gula" > wrote in
> :
>
>>> Tom Littleton wrote:
>>> Arrived in Coburn,PA around mid-day Friday. Isabel had largely
>>> departed, leaving behind quite a bit of unneeded water in the Penn's
>>> Creek Valley.
>> For
>>> those of you familiar with this water gauge, we were over the seat on
>>> the picnic table.
>>
>> Was there a fish holding behind the picnic table?
>>

> If there was, he was probably holding on to the table with his teeth!!

But if he's holding the table with his teeth, how would the fish hold his
martini glass? (That table being Joel's in my mind's eye...)

Bill

Tom Gibson
September 24th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Willi > wrote in message >...
> Tom Littleton wrote:
> >Arrived in Coburn,PA around mid-day Friday. Isabel had largely departed,
> >leaving behind quite a bit of unneeded water in the Penn's Creek Valley. For
> >those of you familiar with this water gauge, we were over the seat on the
> >picnic table.
>
> Does Penns ever run high and relatively clear?
>
> Willi

I don't think so. I believe that the opposite is true--Penns will
often get muddy before it rises considerably. It doesn't take much
rain to discolor Penns Creek.

Tom G

Frank Reid
September 24th, 2003, 03:55 PM
> > Arrived in Coburn,PA around mid-day Friday. Isabel had largely departed,
> > leaving behind quite a bit of unneeded water in the Penn's Creek Valley.
> For those of you familiar with this water gauge, we were over the seat on
the
> > picnic table.
>
> Was there a fish holding behind the picnic table?

ROFF old fogey comment to follow: Back in 2002, I remember when that picnic
table was clean underwater. Yes sirree Bob, underwater and we had to sit on
the bank. Didn't have no "above water" picnic tables back in the day..
Only had IM-6 graphite back then, unless you was rich. Had to drink
Yuengling and fish outta your tent. You young guys think you got it hard,
hell, the pickled asparagus ran out half-way through the week.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Tim J.
September 24th, 2003, 04:05 PM
"Frank Reid" wrote...
> > > Arrived in Coburn,PA around mid-day Friday. Isabel had largely departed,
> > > leaving behind quite a bit of unneeded water in the Penn's Creek Valley.
> > For those of you familiar with this water gauge, we were over the seat on
> the
> > > picnic table.
> >
> > Was there a fish holding behind the picnic table?
>
> ROFF old fogey comment to follow: Back in 2002, I remember when that picnic
> table was clean underwater. Yes sirree Bob, underwater and we had to sit on
> the bank. Didn't have no "above water" picnic tables back in the day..
> Only had IM-6 graphite back then, unless you was rich. Had to drink
> Yuengling and fish outta your tent. You young guys think you got it hard,
> hell, the pickled asparagus ran out half-way through the week.

I was right with you up until the "pickled asparagus." What the hell is up with
that?! Better yet, where in the hell did you FIND that (and did it taste like
chicken)?
--
TL,
Tim

rw
September 24th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Scott Seidman wrote:
> "Stan Gula" > wrote in
> :
>

>>Was there a fish holding behind the picnic table?
>>

> If there was, he was probably holding on to the table with his teeth!!

If there was, Willi probably got him on a hot dog pattern.

Scott Seidman
September 24th, 2003, 04:12 PM
"Tim J." > wrote in
:

> "Frank Reid" wrote...
>> > For those of you familiar with this water gauge, we were over the
>> > seat on
>> the
>> >
>> > Was there a fish holding behind the picnic table?
>>
>> ROFF old fogey comment to follow: Back in 2002, I remember when that
>> picnic table was clean underwater. Yes sirree Bob, underwater and we
>> had to sit on the bank. Didn't have no "above water" picnic tables
>> back in the day.. Only had IM-6 graphite back then, unless you was
>> rich. Had to drink Yuengling and fish outta your tent. You young
>> guys think you got it hard, hell, the pickled asparagus ran out
>> half-way through the week.
>
> I was right with you up until the "pickled asparagus." What the hell
> is up with that?! Better yet, where in the hell did you FIND that (and
> did it taste like chicken)?

That is a conconction by Smiling Joe Verdone's wife, made with asparagus
fresh out of Joe's 15 year old bed. I've been meaning to get the recipe
from Mrs. Verdone and post it here. It's good stuff.

The "fish outta your tent" comment is precious!

BTW, Frank, our economy has forced a good guy outta Rochester into B'more.
I suggested he look you up.

Scott

Frank Reid
September 24th, 2003, 04:13 PM
> I was right with you up until the "pickled asparagus." What the hell is up
with
> that?! Better yet, where in the hell did you FIND that (and did it taste
like
> chicken)?

Next time, come to Penns and stay in the tent area. There's a whole 'nother
party going on down there. Pickled asparagus is courtesy of "Smilin' Joe"
and has become his secondary trademark (primary is the snores that draw
sharks all the way to Coburn).

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

rb608
September 24th, 2003, 04:14 PM
"Tim J." > wrote in message
> I was right with you up until the "pickled asparagus." What the hell is up
with
> that?! Better yet, where in the hell did you FIND that (and did it taste
like
> chicken)?

I'm not sure where Frank shops; but out in Pennsylvania Dutch country, you
can find pickled damn-near-anything. e.g., I was at one market where they
had practically an entire wall of preserved former food of an unbelievable
variety and invention. I tried the pickled brussel sprouts. Kinda tasty,
actually.

Joe F.

Stan Gula
September 24th, 2003, 04:14 PM
"Tim J." > wrote in message

> I was right with you up until the "pickled asparagus." What the hell is up
with
> that?! Better yet, where in the hell did you FIND that (and did it taste
like
> chicken)?
> --

You poor deprived man. One of these years you have to attend a Penns Creek
Clave and meet Smilin' Joe.

Frank Reid
September 24th, 2003, 04:17 PM
> That is a conconction by Smiling Joe Verdone's wife, made with asparagus
> fresh out of Joe's 15 year old bed. I've been meaning to get the recipe
> from Mrs. Verdone and post it here. It's good stuff.

Very good.

> The "fish outta your tent" comment is precious!

Precious? Bring your teddy bear next time. Precious? Just when you think
you know a guy. Sheesh!

> BTW, Frank, our economy has forced a good guy outta Rochester into B'more.
> I suggested he look you up.

Have economy, will travel.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Scott Seidman
September 24th, 2003, 04:28 PM
"Frank Reid" <moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote in
:

>> That is a conconction by Smiling Joe Verdone's wife, made with
>> asparagus fresh out of Joe's 15 year old bed. I've been meaning to
>> get the recipe from Mrs. Verdone and post it here. It's good stuff.
>
> Very good.
>
>> The "fish outta your tent" comment is precious!
>
> Precious? Bring your teddy bear next time. Precious? Just when you
> think you know a guy. Sheesh!

Damn, I thought I had my grammar checker appropriately set up to flag fru-
fru language. Alas, my secret is out now. Before you know it, I'll be
bringing a blender and little umbrellas to put in my drinks. Next time,
I'll have to help move your tent in my Frankenfurter outfit. Damn--it was
tough enough when I was merely doubled over in laughter!! Heels will make
it next to impossible!!

>> BTW, Frank, our economy has forced a good guy outta Rochester into
>> B'more. I suggested he look you up.
>
> Have economy, will travel.

Scott

Frank Reid
September 24th, 2003, 04:41 PM
> Heels will make
> it next to impossible!!

Explains a lot. By the way, if you're gonna claim the item of clothing is a
kilt, it should be plaid not paisley.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Tom Littleton
September 24th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Reid(who wussed out and stayed at home protecting his family and property)
asks:

>Any size to those fish? Details man, we need details.

all of em were massive, you should've been there. Had we been keeping our
catch, we would have needed forklifts to get them out of the woods.........
That complete fabrication dispensed with, I do want to drag some folks from the
Old North State(sorry Stan, I know they are geographically addled on that one)
up to Young Woman's and/or Kettle Creeks next spring. Also, I did briefly hold
onto a legit 15 inch, kind of portly brown trout, FWIW.
Tom

Wayne Harrison
September 24th, 2003, 11:22 PM
"Tim J." > wrote

> I was right with you up until the "pickled asparagus." What the hell is up
with
> that?! Better yet, where in the hell did you FIND that (and did it taste
like
> chicken)?

tastes like rattlesnake.

yfitons
wayno

Wayne Harrison
September 24th, 2003, 11:23 PM
"Tom Littleton" > wrote

> That complete fabrication dispensed with, I do want to drag some folks
from the
> Old North State(sorry Stan, I know they are geographically addled on that
one)
> up to Young Woman's and/or Kettle Creeks next spring.

put me in, coach!

yfitons
wayno (well, hell, joepa must have one more year left in him)

Kevin Vang
September 25th, 2003, 04:56 AM
In article >,
says...

> "Tim J." > wrote
> did it taste
> like
> > chicken)?
>
> tastes like rattlesnake.

I actually did eat rattlesnake once, and, I am almost
embarrassed to say, it did taste just like chicken.

Kevin
(and no, it wasn't the same rattlesnake that tried to
eat me.)

riverman
September 25th, 2003, 04:55 PM
"rb608" > wrote in message

> "Tim J." > wrote in message
> > I was right with you up until the "pickled asparagus." What the hell is
up
> with
> > that?! Better yet, where in the hell did you FIND that (and did it taste
> like
> > chicken)?
>
> I'm not sure where Frank shops; but out in Pennsylvania Dutch country, you
> can find pickled damn-near-anything. e.g., I was at one market where
they
> had practically an entire wall of preserved former food of an unbelievable
> variety and invention. I tried the pickled brussel sprouts. Kinda
tasty,
> actually.

I like pickled cucumbers, personally. They ought to come up with a name for
that....

--riverman

(and who ever first thought of it??)

Scott Seidman
September 25th, 2003, 05:00 PM
"riverman" > wrote in
:

> "rb608" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Tim J." > wrote in message
>> > I was right with you up until the "pickled asparagus." What the
>> > hell is
> up
>> with
>> > that?! Better yet, where in the hell did you FIND that (and did it
>> > taste
>> like
>> > chicken)?
>>
>> I'm not sure where Frank shops; but out in Pennsylvania Dutch
>> country, you can find pickled damn-near-anything. e.g., I was at
>> one market where
> they
>> had practically an entire wall of preserved former food of an
>> unbelievable variety and invention. I tried the pickled brussel
>> sprouts. Kinda
> tasty,
>> actually.
>

> I like pickled cucumbers, personally. They ought to come up with a
> name for that....
>
> --riverman
>
> (and who ever first thought of it??)

At GOOD delis, when you ask for a bowl of pickles, they often bring out
pickled tomatoes mixed in with the pickles. At GREAT delis, they bring
those out without being asked

Scott

Mike Makela
September 27th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Hey Willi!!

Just stopping in on the ole board after a very long absence to add a few
notes of perceived knowledge (my perception, but probably no one else's):

We actually saw high "clear" water this spring, or at least relatively clear
(as clear as it gets in the spring). We did have some bouts with rain and it
does muddy very quickly at this level, but in between the clarity was very
fishable. As you know from the previous year, if you can see a few inches
into the water, and you can stabilize the body long enough to make a cast,
you can catch fish.

Judging from the reports on summer, the water was as high as it gets this
year, for this season. Tom, or some ROFF Penn's locals may be able to
enlighten us a bit more as to whether it lost most of it's green tint
mid-summer. In most years where the level drops significantly in the
summer, it actually does lose that tint for the most part, and fishing gets
much, more challenging. Dusk and dawn fishing is the call in the hot
summer.

The Finn

"Willi" > wrote in message

> Tom Littleton wrote:
> > Arrived in Coburn,PA around mid-day Friday. Isabel had largely departed,
> > leaving behind quite a bit of unneeded water in the Penn's Creek Valley.
For
> > those of you familiar with this water gauge, we were over the seat on
the
> > picnic table.
>

> Does Penns ever run high and relatively clear?
>
> Willi

Mike Makela
September 27th, 2003, 08:27 PM
Kettle sounds like a good idea and of course YWC or any other stream in the
area. I haven't been on Kettle Creek since the big clean-up over the past
several years, so it's time for a re-visit. I think the last time there I
was chasing someone else up the stream which was even more fun when the fish
population was down and the catching was sparse.

I'll be passing by Big Pine Creek in a few weeks on the way up to Toronto to
meet up with a family member who's spending some time at Toronto General
Hospital (Yep, Canadian SARS Central). Nothing serious, so I should be able
to sneak a few hours in on the way up, or back on the freestoners of the
North Country.

Encouraging to hear the levels are good, so I'll definitely pack the gear.

Hope all is well!!

Mike