PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Portland/Oregon query

vtv001
September 24th, 2003, 05:08 AM
Going to Portland, Oregon in early October. Any advise as to what is there
to fish for during this time of the year, Places, Flies, tips, etc would be
appreciated.

Can consider going to Maupin and trying the river there, same questions
though...

Thanks a lot

JR
September 24th, 2003, 07:23 AM
vtv001 wrote:

> Going to Portland, Oregon in early October. Any advise as to what is there
> to fish for during this time of the year,

Trout and steelhead.

> Places, Flies, tips, etc would be
> appreciated.
>
> Can consider going to Maupin and trying the river there, same questions
> though...

http://www.westfly.com/or/or_thismonth/or_thismonth.htm

http://www.flyfisherman.com/northwest/

http://www.flyfishusa.com/about-our-waters/our-waters-home/our-waters.html

Clark Reid
September 24th, 2003, 12:00 PM
"vtv001" wrote

www.kman.com are a great bunch of guys...

--
Clark Reid
http://www.dryflynz.com

Frank Church
September 24th, 2003, 12:20 PM
"vtv001" > wrote in message
> Going to Portland, Oregon in early October. Any advise as to what is there
> to fish for during this time of the year, Places, Flies, tips, etc would
be
> appreciated.

.....I can give you one tip since I didn't flyfish in the late sixties (I was
busy chasing down highschool girls) OK, I was an Air Force recruiter located
smack in downtown Portland. We had 5 AF recruiters in our office and it was
traditional that every Friday at noon we all would repair to the Elephant &
Castle. Play darts, drink draft beer and order up their delicious fish and
chips, best I've ever had this side of Brize-Norton Royal Air Force Station
in England. I hope that place is still there, long since forgot the street
but it was within walking distance of the old Pioneer P.O. where our offices
were. If I ever get back to Portland I'm gonna look that place up, and if
your fishing sucks maybe you should too. :-) HTH

Frank Church
.....who never had to look very far to find nubile HS girls who just *loved*
a uniform, any uniform.

Kevin Vang
September 24th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Frank Church wrote:

> Frank Church
> ....who never had to look very far to find nubile HS girls who just *loved*
> a uniform, any uniform.

Ah, youth...The farther we get from it, the better it was.

Kevin

rw
September 24th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Clark Reid wrote:
> "vtv001" wrote
>
>>Going to Portland, Oregon in early October. Any advise as to what is there
>>to fish for during this time of the year, Places, Flies, tips, etc would
>
> be
>
>>appreciated.
>>
>>Can consider going to Maupin and trying the river there, same questions
>>though...
>>
>>Thanks a lot
>

> www.kman.com are a great bunch of guys...

Chas and Warren and I stopped at Kauffman's somewhere in the Seattle
area. Chas has to pick a repaired rod, and after we left I suppose he
had to drop off the one Warren broke. That guy goes through a few rods.
Sage probably has a stack of mailing labels prepared just for him. :-)

Dennis, the guy who I understand runs Kauffman's travel operations, gave
me some information on Belize. He said the best month was May, when you
can target bonefish, tarpon, permit, and snook. However, a nonfishing
friend of mine who has spent a lot of time there told me that May is the
rainy season. Has anyone out there been to Belize in May? I always leave
Stanley for May (mud season), and I was thinking Belize might be a good
place to go.

Charlie Choc
September 24th, 2003, 07:33 PM
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:16:32 -0700, rw
> wrote:

> Has anyone out there been to Belize in May? I always leave
>Stanley for May (mud season), and I was thinking Belize might be a good
>place to go.

One of the times I went was in early May. I think there was one day of
rain and clouds but it wasn't to bad to fish. The folks down there
said the best time for fishing was often in September and October, but
it's a crap shoot - beautiful weather or a hurricane. <g>
--
Charlie...

BJ Conner
September 24th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Elephant and Castle- still there , good place to get your oil changed.
It's been "discovered" still good stuff to eat and drink but the new
clientel can be a pain at times.
http://www.nwbrewpage.com/orpubs/ElephCastle.html

"Frank Church" > wrote in message >...
> "vtv001" > wrote in message
> > Going to Portland, Oregon in early October. Any advise as to what is there
> > to fish for during this time of the year, Places, Flies, tips, etc would
> be
> > appreciated.
>
> ....I can give you one tip since I didn't flyfish in the late sixties (I was
> busy chasing down highschool girls) OK, I was an Air Force recruiter located
> smack in downtown Portland. We had 5 AF recruiters in our office and it was
> traditional that every Friday at noon we all would repair to the Elephant &
> Castle. Play darts, drink draft beer and order up their delicious fish and
> chips, best I've ever had this side of Brize-Norton Royal Air Force Station
> in England. I hope that place is still there, long since forgot the street
> but it was within walking distance of the old Pioneer P.O. where our offices
> were. If I ever get back to Portland I'm gonna look that place up, and if
> your fishing sucks maybe you should too. :-) HTH
>
> Frank Church
> ....who never had to look very far to find nubile HS girls who just *loved*
> a uniform, any uniform.

Clark Reid
September 24th, 2003, 10:34 PM
"rw" <wrote > Chas and Warren and I stopped at Kauffman's somewhere in the
Seattle
> area. Chas has to pick a repaired rod, and after we left I suppose he
> had to drop off the one Warren broke. That guy goes through a few rods.
> Sage probably has a stack of mailing labels prepared just for him. :-)
>
> Dennis, the guy who I understand runs Kauffman's travel operations, gave
> me some information on Belize. He said the best month was May, when you
> can target bonefish, tarpon, permit, and snook. However, a nonfishing
> friend of mine who has spent a lot of time there told me that May is the
> rainy season. Has anyone out there been to Belize in May? I always leave
> Stanley for May (mud season), and I was thinking Belize might be a good
> place to go.

I don't know much about the Seattle store... Most of the folks I have met
have been out of the Tigard Store in Portland... Jerry Swanson is the head
of their travel program and is a great guy... Randall knows all the ins and
outs of Belize... as I said, I can't offer much on the Seattle folks...

--
Clark Reid
http://www.dryflynz.com

riverman
September 26th, 2003, 12:48 PM
"Frank Church" > wrote in message
s.com...

> "vtv001" > wrote in message
> > Going to Portland, Oregon in early October. Any advise as to what is
there
> > to fish for during this time of the year, Places, Flies, tips, etc would
> be
> > appreciated.
>
> ....I can give you one tip since I didn't flyfish in the late sixties (I
was
> busy chasing down highschool girls) OK, I was an Air Force recruiter
located
> smack in downtown Portland. We had 5 AF recruiters in our office and it
was
> traditional that every Friday at noon we all would repair to the Elephant
&
> Castle. Play darts, drink draft beer and order up their delicious fish and
> chips, best I've ever had this side of Brize-Norton Royal Air Force
Station
> in England. I hope that place is still there, long since forgot the
street
> but it was within walking distance of the old Pioneer P.O. where our
offices
> were.

Right at the end of the Morrison Bridge, on the corner of Morrison and Front
street. I used to play darts, drink Guinness and hit up on the girls there
myself in the mid 80s. Portland still lives on in my memory as one fun town.
Pittock mansion, living in NW, selling Judy's HotDogs on the corner, playing
guitar and 'bee in Waterfront park, side trips to Multnoma Falls.....ahh.

--riverman

Frank Church
September 26th, 2003, 01:38 PM
"riverman" > wrote in message

> "Frank Church" > wrote in message
> s.com...
> >
> Right at the end of the Morrison Bridge, on the corner of Morrison and
Front
> street. I used to play darts, drink Guinness and hit up on the girls there
> myself in the mid 80s. Portland still lives on in my memory as one fun
town.
> Pittock mansion, living in NW, selling Judy's HotDogs on the corner,
playing
> guitar and 'bee in Waterfront park, side trips to Multnoma Falls.....ahh.
>
> --riverman

....Portland is one of my most favorite towns, the only one that doesn't
start with an S...
can you say: Seattle, San Francisco, Santa Barbara and of course, San Diego.

Frank Church
...bin laid in every one ;-)

Wayne Harrison
September 26th, 2003, 01:50 PM
"Frank Church" > wrote > ..bin laid in

damn, frank, what are you, a closet terrorist!!???

yfitons
wayno (mr. ashcroft! mr. ashcroft! i got one!!!!!!!!!!!)

Frank Church
September 26th, 2003, 02:40 PM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Frank Church" > wrote > ..bin laid in
>
> damn, frank, what are you, a closet terrorist!!???
>
> yfitons
> wayno (mr. ashcroft! mr. ashcroft! i got one!!!!!!!!!!!)

....twas' pretty close warn't it? OK, make that scrued. :)

Frank the scrued Church