PDA

View Full Version : Passing it on....

Warren
September 26th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Hey guys, Snoop Spongey Bob is having probs posting to ROFF.
His post show up on Alt.test but not here. He asked me to
post this TR regarding the Bighorn for him.

Subject: Snoop's Bighorn report
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:24:34 -0600
From: Snoop >
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Hard to compete with Willi' and Warren in the trip report
department. Fishing the Bighorn this time of year was a new
experience to me. I fish the Bighorn quite a bit during the
winter, mainly to avoid crowds. I thought the river was
pretty crowded but not as bad as the one time I fished the
river in April. Even with all of the people, you could find a
good stretch of river to fish that wasn't too crowded. That
is, until you caught a fish. On several occasions, this would
draw people way too close. Then, it was time to move on.

I, too, got a kick out of watching the drift boat action.
Back and forth, back and forth. One thing's for sure, though,
the sports sure got a lot of drag free drifts. You don't need
to be able to cast, just lob the rig out. But, it gets the
sports into fish and that's what they want. The wind was
really bad. I was pretty beat at the end of the day after
fighting the wind. Once again, not a problem I generally
face. When winter fishing, we keep an eye on the weather and,
because we live so close, we only go when the temps are
moderate and there's no wind forecast. Kind of spoiled
me. Another think I was amazed with was the abundance of
different insects. I've read roffian's stories of fantastic
hatches and read magazine articles but this is the first time
I experienced such an amazing bunch of insects (black
caddis). I have seen some pretty good midge hatches in the
winter but nothing like this. Thank goodness the caddis don't
bite.

Because of all of the different insect activity on the water,
it took me awhile to get "dialed in". In the dead of winter
you fish midge's or scuds. Not much decision making needed.
I caught a couple of nice fish and more smaller fish (browns)
than I've ever caught on the Bighorn. But, once again, I
got out fished by everyone else. I generally do pretty well
winter fishing and felt like a beginner on this trip. I guess
I'll just have to keep going there & try to improve:)

I had a great time and it was good to see fellow roffians I
missed at the Rock Creek clave. I think everyone thought
Cottonwood was a OK place to stay. I'm glad Willi enjoyed
himself. I don't think he's a big fan of tailwater's and
I've never thought the Bighorn was a very pretty place. I was
wrong. It is pretty nice in the fall. In the winter, things
look pretty barren.

Next stop--- the San Juan.

Snoop

--

Take out the snoop_spongey_bob to reply via email
--

Bruiser
September 27th, 2003, 01:21 AM

The Bighorn sounds pretty damn good to me, especially since I fish dries
only :-)

bruce h

Really, though, I'd have waited for a good *mayfly* hatch. Caddis are such
common and ugly insects ;-)