PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing In Alabama???

Gene Cyprych
September 28th, 2003, 07:54 PM
I may be in Alabama for awhile. Can anyone tell me about the fly
fishing opportunities that might exist? I assume bass are one
species, how about others? I'm referring to the northern part of the
state, say Huntsville.

Thanks in advance.

Ken Fortenberry
September 28th, 2003, 10:44 PM
Gene Cyprych wrote:

> I may be in Alabama for awhile.

Ouch. I served a five year sentence in north Alabama myself. I did
survive the ordeal, but just barely. ;-)

> Can anyone tell me about the fly
> fishing opportunities that might exist? I assume bass are one
> species, how about others? I'm referring to the northern part of the
> state, say Huntsville.

Yeah, bass, bluegill and crappie, a boat or a canoe would help. My
home water was Lake Guntersville. You can fish year round there, I
had an old red VW Beetle that always had a fly rod in the back seat.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry
September 28th, 2003, 11:38 PM
rw wrote:
> Ken Fortenberry wrote:

>> had an old red VW Beetle that always had a fly rod in the back seat.
>
> What a way cool dude you must have been back then, before you lost your
> mind.

Better to be a has-been than a never-was & never-will-be.

Putz.

--
Ken Fortenberry

rw
September 29th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:

> had an old red VW Beetle that always had a fly rod in the back seat.

What a way cool dude you must have been back then, before you lost your
mind.

Wayne Knight
September 29th, 2003, 04:10 AM
"Gene Cyprych" > wrote in message
om...
> I may be in Alabama for awhile. Can anyone tell me about the fly
> fishing opportunities that might exist? I assume bass are one
> species, how about others? I'm referring to the northern part of the
> state, say Huntsville.

There's one put and take trout tail water fishery closer to Birmingham, and
I was told of one near Jasper but never got to investigate either one. There
are also several small ponds and lakes which get trout stocking in the
winter. From Russellville AL (about an hours west of Huntsville) to Winfield
there are several creeks which hold some feisty small mouth, decent large
mouths and bream. Then there are the TVA lakes. If you get down towards
Birmingham there's are real nice fly shop in an older part of town and the
owner is a very helpful guy. Another option, especially on weekends is that
Huntsville is only a few hours from some decent TN tailwaters.

Jeff Miller
September 29th, 2003, 01:43 PM
of course, while he lived in bama, harry drove up to the smokies a good
bit... another "more better" option. <g>

jeff

Wayne Knight wrote:

> "Gene Cyprych" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>I may be in Alabama for awhile. Can anyone tell me about the fly
>>fishing opportunities that might exist? I assume bass are one
>>species, how about others? I'm referring to the northern part of the
>>state, say Huntsville.
>>

> There's one put and take trout tail water fishery closer to Birmingham, and
> I was told of one near Jasper but never got to investigate either one. There
> are also several small ponds and lakes which get trout stocking in the
> winter. From Russellville AL (about an hours west of Huntsville) to Winfield
> there are several creeks which hold some feisty small mouth, decent large
> mouths and bream. Then there are the TVA lakes. If you get down towards
> Birmingham there's are real nice fly shop in an older part of town and the
> owner is a very helpful guy. Another option, especially on weekends is that
> Huntsville is only a few hours from some decent TN tailwaters.

Gene Cyprych
September 29th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Ken Fortenberry > wrote in message >...
> rw wrote:
> > Ken Fortenberry wrote:

> >> had an old red VW Beetle that always had a fly rod in the back seat.
> >
> > What a way cool dude you must have been back then, before you lost your
> > mind.
>
> Better to be a has-been than a never-was & never-will-be.
>
> Putz.

Can you be more specific on the "Tennessee Tailwaters"?

Wayne Knight
September 29th, 2003, 11:04 PM
"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message

> of course, while he lived in bama, harry drove up to the smokies a good
> bit... another "more better" option. <g>

The smokies are always an option anywhere within 400 miles, just a little
tough to do only on weekend from Huntsville unless one just does the stuff
on the fringe.

Wayne Harrison
September 29th, 2003, 11:23 PM
"Wayne Knight" > wrote

unless one just does the stuff
> on the fringe.

always been my experience that the stuff on the fringe is often the best
stuff there is...

yfitons
wayno ('course, i never lived in kansas...)

Bob Patton
September 30th, 2003, 05:10 AM
"Wayne Knight" > wrote in message
.com...

//snip//>
> The smokies are always an option anywhere within 400 miles, just a little
> tough to do only on weekend from Huntsville unless one just does the stuff
> on the fringe.

Oh but it depends on how desparate you are. Last summer I left my office in
St Louis at 2 pm, drove to WNC; took a nap; hit the local wallyworld at 4:00
am to pick up a fishing license, and was in the water on Hazel creek at 9.
Of course, the drive home the next day was a bit long.

For somebody in Huntsville, there are probably some decent streams in
northern Alabama, and lots of good water in east Tennessee. Could probably
get to Reliance and fish the Hiwassee in a couple of hours. FAR better than
than on the other side of the ridge. :-)
Bob

Wayne Knight
October 2nd, 2003, 03:19 AM
"Gene Cyprych" > wrote in message
om...

> Can you be more specific on the "Tennessee Tailwaters"?

Specifically the Hiwasse near Reliance TN and there's another one that Jack
Schmitt who posts here out of Nashville sent me to years ago between not far
from Murfeesboro, I think it's the Caney Fork but don't hold me to it.

Wayne Knight
October 2nd, 2003, 03:19 AM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message
. ..

> wayno ('course, i never lived in kansas...)

'course I've never sang the allejuia (sp?) in the shower as the little blue
pill began to take effect. <g>

Johnshc2002
October 2nd, 2003, 04:56 AM
"Gene Cyprych" > wrote in message
om...
> I may be in Alabama for awhile. Can anyone tell me about the fly
> fishing opportunities that might exist? I assume bass are one
> species, how about others? I'm referring to the northern part of the
> state, say Huntsville.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Try this website. I fished in Tellico, Tennessee some years ago. Great
Streams and a camp ground, along with a rustic motel. It may be a 5 or 6
hour drive from Huntsville, AL. It is not far from Knoxville, TN.

http://www.tellicoplains.com/