PDA

View Full Version : deep fried turkey

Lennie Richardson
September 30th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Hi All,

I'm going to arrive at the clave Friday, 10/3 and fish Saturday, 10/4. I
was wondering if enough people would be there to put together a covered dish
supper. For my part, I'd like to bring my turkey frying outfit and a turkey.
If anybody else would like to bring a side dish or two, like vegetables or
desserts, maybe we could find a place at Clave Central to gather up and
throw down. BYOB, of course.

Any interest in that?

LR
your other friend in the old north state.

a-happy-up-yours
September 30th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Lennie Richardson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm going to arrive at the clave Friday, 10/3 and fish Saturday, 10/4. I
> was wondering if enough people would be there to put together a covered dish
> supper. For my part, I'd like to bring my turkey frying outfit and a turkey.
> If anybody else would like to bring a side dish or two, like vegetables or
> desserts, maybe we could find a place at Clave Central to gather up and
> throw down. BYOB, of course.
>
> Any interest in that?
>

> LR
> your other friend in the old north state.

~~~~~~~~

I will arrive sometime Saturday mid-afternoon and will be in attendance
all week. If you have Saturday in mind, I'mm bring/provide/cook a
couple of side dishes.

--
Tom
Wake Forest, NC

n4tab at earthlink dot net

Lennie Richardson
September 30th, 2003, 12:50 AM
"a-happy-up-yours" > wrote in
message hlink.net...
> ~~~~~~~~
>
> I will arrive sometime Saturday mid-afternoon and will be in attendance
> all week. If you have Saturday in mind, I'mm bring/provide/cook a
> couple of side dishes.
>
> --
> Tom
> Wake Forest, NC
>
> n4tab at earthlink dot net

that's great. if i fish with op i'll probably be all in by about 3:30. are
you staying at the campground? I was planning on sacrificing the bird there.

LR

Guyz-N-Flyz
September 30th, 2003, 12:53 AM
"Lennie Richardson" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hi All,
>
> I'm going to arrive at the clave Friday, 10/3 and fish Saturday, 10/4. I
> was wondering if enough people would be there to put together a covered
dish
> supper. For my part, I'd like to bring my turkey frying outfit and a
turkey.
> If anybody else would like to bring a side dish or two, like vegetables or
> desserts, maybe we could find a place at Clave Central to gather up and
> throw down. BYOB, of course.
>
> Any interest in that?
>

> LR
> your other friend in the old north state.

I'll do several Cheese Cakes! Actually, mother will do them, as I wouldn't
know a Cheese from a Cake.

Op --gotta love 'ol momma, and her Cheese Cake is DAMN GOOD--

a-happy-up-yours
September 30th, 2003, 01:24 AM
Lennie Richardson wrote:

> "a-happy-up-yours" > wrote in
> message hlink.net...
>
>>~~~~~~~~
>>
>>I will arrive sometime Saturday mid-afternoon and will be in attendance
>>all week. If you have Saturday in mind, I'mm bring/provide/cook a
>>couple of side dishes.
>>
>>--
>>Tom
>>Wake Forest, NC
>>
>>n4tab at earthlink dot net
>>

> that's great. if i fish with op i'll probably be all in by about 3:30. are
> you staying at the campground? I was planning on sacrificing the bird there.
>
> LR

I'm sharing one of the furnished cabins with Jeff Miller. Taking this
to email.

--
Tom

n4tab at earthlink dot net

Lennie Richardson
September 30th, 2003, 01:30 AM
"Guyz-N-Flyz" > wrote in message

> I'll do several Cheese Cakes! Actually, mother will do them, as I
wouldn't
> know a Cheese from a Cake.
>
> Op --gotta love 'ol momma, and her Cheese Cake is DAMN GOOD--

gotta love anybody who can make a cheesecake.

Jeff Miller
September 30th, 2003, 01:57 AM
YUM!! count me in... but, hold the food til dark...please?

jeff

Lennie Richardson wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm going to arrive at the clave Friday, 10/3 and fish Saturday, 10/4. I
> was wondering if enough people would be there to put together a covered dish
> supper. For my part, I'd like to bring my turkey frying outfit and a turkey.
> If anybody else would like to bring a side dish or two, like vegetables or
> desserts, maybe we could find a place at Clave Central to gather up and
> throw down. BYOB, of course.
>
> Any interest in that?
>

> LR
> your other friend in the old north state.

Brimbum
September 30th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Lennie wrote:snip>I'm going to arrive at the clave Friday, 10/3 and fish
Saturday, 10/4. I
>was wondering if enough people would be there to put together a covered dish
>supper. For my part, I'd like to bring my turkey frying outfit and a turkey.

I will have to pass on this feast as I will not be arriving till Monday. At the
Southeast Conclave this past May the guy that fried the Turkeys for the opening
Cajun feed fried six of them that afternoon.

I only have two 3 weight rods and a 2 weight rod in the truck so far.

Big Dale

riverman
September 30th, 2003, 12:34 PM
"Brimbum" > wrote in message
> Lennie wrote:snip>I'm going to arrive at the clave Friday, 10/3 and fish
> Saturday, 10/4. I
> >was wondering if enough people would be there to put together a covered
dish
> >supper. For my part, I'd like to bring my turkey frying outfit and a
turkey.

> I will have to pass on this feast as I will not be arriving till Monday.
At the
> Southeast Conclave this past May the guy that fried the Turkeys for the
opening
> Cajun feed fried six of them that afternoon.
>
> I only have two 3 weight rods and a 2 weight rod in the truck so far.
>
> Big Dale

I guess the thing that suprises me the most is how easily everyone is
accepting 'deep fried turkey' without blinking an eye. Definately a cultural
thing: to us Yanks, the concept of deep frying a TURKEY, let alone owning a
rig specially made to DO it, is no different than if I proposed bringing
some slugs and caterpillars, along with my caterpillar-slug roasting rig,
and everyone said "yum, I'll bring the cheesecake".

Who ever first figured out to deep fry a turkey, for gods sake??? I hear you
guys do Snickers bars, too! Wow.

--riverman
(my roots are showing)

a-happy-up-yours
September 30th, 2003, 01:47 PM
riverman wrote:

........snip..........

> I guess the thing that suprises me the most is how easily everyone is
> accepting 'deep fried turkey' without blinking an eye. Definately a cultural
> thing: to us Yanks, the concept of deep frying a TURKEY, let alone owning a
> rig specially made to DO it, is no different than if I proposed bringing
> some slugs and caterpillars, along with my caterpillar-slug roasting rig,
> and everyone said "yum, I'll bring the cheesecake".
>
> Who ever first figured out to deep fry a turkey, for gods sake??? I hear you
> guys do Snickers bars, too! Wow.
>
> --riverman
> (my roots are showing)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, you have no *real* idea about the cultural/culinary differences
extant here. When, in a email, Lennie mentioned that he was trying to
arrange for a friend to provide "the best collards I've ever tasted", my
first thought was "sandwich".

And, for the record, we don't make cornbread with sugar <G>.

--
Tom

n4tab at earthlink dot net

riverman
September 30th, 2003, 04:29 PM
"a-happy-up-yours" > wrote in
message hlink.net...
> riverman wrote:
>
> .......snip..........
> >
> > I guess the thing that suprises me the most is how easily everyone is
> > accepting 'deep fried turkey' without blinking an eye. Definately a
cultural
> > thing: to us Yanks, the concept of deep frying a TURKEY, let alone
owning a
> > rig specially made to DO it, is no different than if I proposed bringing
> > some slugs and caterpillars, along with my caterpillar-slug roasting
rig,
> > and everyone said "yum, I'll bring the cheesecake".
> >
> > Who ever first figured out to deep fry a turkey, for gods sake??? I hear
you
> > guys do Snickers bars, too! Wow.
> >
> > --riverman
> > (my roots are showing)
> >

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Oh, you have no *real* idea about the cultural/culinary differences
> extant here. When, in a email, Lennie mentioned that he was trying to
> arrange for a friend to provide "the best collards I've ever tasted", my
> first thought was "sandwich".
>
> And, for the record, we don't make cornbread with sugar <G>.

And you make lemonade with too much! <g>

What other cultural/culinary differences are there between Yanks and
Rebs...we got the deep fried vs. roasted and stuffed turkey, the deep fried
vs. frozen Snickers bar, the grits vs. potato debate, the collards vs.
dandelion greens...

--riverman

Brimbum
September 30th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Riverman wrote:snip>I guess the thing that suprises me the most is how easily
everyone is
>accepting 'deep fried turkey' without blinking an eye.

I never heard of fried turkey till about 15 years ago, but it is great when the
guy knows what he is doing. I learned long ago that when a Cajun cooks
something to just eat it and don't ask too much about what it is. There are
some things you don't want to know.

Big Dale

Ken Fortenberry
September 30th, 2003, 09:28 PM
Brimbum wrote:

> ... I learned long ago that when a Cajun cooks
> something to just eat it and don't ask too much about what it is. There are
> some things you don't want to know.

For an all too brief time we had here in Chambana a really good "Louisiana
Style" restaurant. The same train that took delta blues to Chicago leaves
little pockets of culture all up and down its tracks to this day. I asked
the chef/owner one time how "authentic" the menu was. She said, "Honey chile,
I couldn't make authentic Nawlin's food here if I wanted to, the health
department wouldn't let me."

--
Ken Fortenberry

Tim J.
September 30th, 2003, 09:50 PM
"Brimbum" wrote...
> Riverman wrote:
snip
> I guess the thing that suprises me the most is how easily
> everyone is
> >accepting 'deep fried turkey' without blinking an eye.
>
> I never heard of fried turkey till about 15 years ago, but it is great when
the
> guy knows what he is doing. I learned long ago that when a Cajun cooks
> something to just eat it and don't ask too much about what it is. There are
> some things you don't want to know.

.. . . so you've eaten boudin?
--
TL,
Tim

Wayne Harrison
September 30th, 2003, 11:39 PM
"Tim J." > wrote

> . . . so you've eaten boudin?
> --
> TL,
> Tim
> who must have missed the Cajun migration to NC.
> ------------------------
> http://css.sbcma.com/timj

oh, god; evangeline, about 17, back in '61: la belle magnifique!!!

yfitons
wayno (we here in the old north state are proud of our diversity, doncha
know...)

Ernie
September 30th, 2003, 11:50 PM
"Brimbum" > wrote in message
> I never heard of fried turkey till about 15 years ago, but it is great
when the
> guy knows what he is doing. I learned long ago that when a Cajun cooks
> something to just eat it and don't ask too much about what it is. There
are
> some things you don't want to know.
>
> Big Dale

It is quite good, very juicy and tender. It uses a lot of very hot oil so
keep it outside and be careful or you will have a hell of a fire.
Ernie

October 1st, 2003, 03:22 AM
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:39:30 GMT, "Wayne Harrison"
> wrote:

>wayno (we here in the old north state are proud of our diversity, doncha
>know...)

Yeah, I know. Apparently, you *******s are very welcoming of
midwestern Basketball coaches.

Grrrrr....

Mike S. Medintz >
"if one feels compelled to wear a sweatshirt over one's bikini for an
"after" pic, it's probably not really an after." -Sarah Jane, in m.f.w

licker
October 1st, 2003, 04:42 AM
Someone wrote: I never heard of fried turkey till about 15 years ago, but
it is great when the guy knows what he is doing. I learned long ago that
when a Cajun cooks something to just eat it and don't ask too much about
what it is. There are some things you don't want to know.

Like crawfish, alligator, nutria deer meat, dove, duck, coot, coon, opossum
and snake are fine examples. Another good example is a Turducken.

Someone else wrote: It is quite good, very juicy and tender. It uses a lot
of very hot oil so keep it outside and be careful or you will have a hell of
a fire.

What is need to fry a turkey?

1 turkey
enough peanut oil to fill the pot with turkey submerged.
Cajun seasons example Tony Chachere
Cajun marinade to inject turkey.
Cajun injector
Propane burner
metal stand to stand turkey up with a hook to grab it with.
26 to 30 quart pot with high sides.

Before frying you must inject the turkey with seasons deep into the meat.
Rub the turkey with Cajun seasons inside and out. Get a pot large enough to
hold the oil and the turkey full submerged with plenty of room for the Set
up the crawfish boiling burner (that is a propane burner for those not from
Louisiana) outside on a level pad. Set the pot on the burner and add oil to
pot. Heat oil to 365 degrees and lower turkey. Fry at 365 degrees for 3
1/2 minutes per pound. A ten pound turkey in 35 minutes. When lifting the
turkey from the fryer you need to let the oil drip off. This step you must
be very careful in so as not to burn yourself. Make sure you wear thick
gloves or kitchen mitt.

Slice it up and eat it. It will be a juice turkey unlike those oven baked
turkeys.

Turkey pots are usually skinny so the turkey just fits in the diameter but
it has high sides to prevent the oil from spilling over. A good way to
figure out how much oil you will need is to put the turkey in the pot before
you start and add water to you immerse the turkey by at least one inch below
the surface. Measure the water as you go. Peanut oil is expensive so you
may want to get just what you need.

See http://www.kingkooker.com for information on a turkey pot.

Another interesting way to cook a turkey is smoked. Try smoking one over
burning oak and hickory with pieces of sugar cane stalk added to the fire.
The sugar can will glazes the outside of the turkey and make it look purple.

Sarge

Brimbum
October 1st, 2003, 05:56 AM
Tim wrote:>. . . so you've eaten boudin?
>--

Sure it some of the best stuff to come out of Louisiana since voodoo..

Big Dale

walt winter
October 1st, 2003, 11:34 AM
Lennie Richardson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm going to arrive at the clave Friday, 10/3 and fish Saturday, 10/4. I
> was wondering if enough people would be there to put together a covered dish
> supper. For my part, I'd like to bring my turkey frying outfit and a turkey.
> If anybody else would like to bring a side dish or two, like vegetables or
> desserts, maybe we could find a place at Clave Central to gather up and
> throw down. BYOB, of course.
>
> Any interest in that?
>

> LR
> your other friend in the old north state.

yummie!

lennie, there is two places that a cookout at central can take
place at. the lodge has a large equipped kitchen and the
primitive camping area has a covered pole-barn with bbq etc.

see ya'll saturday,

waldo

--waldo

DrewPatterson
October 1st, 2003, 07:42 PM
wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:39:30 GMT, "Wayne Harrison"
> > wrote:
>

>>wayno (we here in the old north state are proud of our diversity, doncha
>>know...)
>

> Yeah, I know. Apparently, you *******s are very welcoming of
> midwestern Basketball coaches.
>
> Grrrrr....

He just came home. Roy was once my Sunday School teacher.

Drew

licker
October 3rd, 2003, 04:23 AM
Riverman wrote "What other cultural/culinary differences are there between
Yanks and Rebs...we got the deep fried vs. roasted and stuffed turkey, the
deep fried vs. frozen Snickers bar, the grits vs. potato debate, the
collards vs. dandelion greens."

There is a big cultural difference between Yankee cooking and the South but
there is also a big difference between Southern cooking and Cajun cooking.

Where I am from a Yankee is any one North of I-10. If you don't properly
season your food your from the North. If you don't beleive in LSU then you
you don't believe in football. Tailgating and football on a Saturday night.
Nothing like it.

Sarge

slenon
October 3rd, 2003, 04:20 PM
Being from the North ( well, alright, a border state ) I've no heritage
telling me to add chicory to coffee. Nor do I ever desire moon pies.

--

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm