PDA

View Full Version : October suggestions for California maybe S.Oregon

Larry L
September 30th, 2003, 12:34 AM
In years past my fly rods were put up by now ( 'cept the Striper rig ) and
my mind was on getting ready for waterfowl.

But, as I age, I find that not being able to C&R ducks is reducing hunting's
appeal and this year I hope to experience some new fishing.

If anyone has some suggestions for California in Oct, I thank you in
advance. I'd especially like to fish the October Caddis, a hatch I've
heard lots about, but never seen.

R. D. L.
September 30th, 2003, 01:54 AM
Steelhead on the Trinity?

Richard

"Larry L" > wrote in message
> In years past my fly rods were put up by now ( 'cept the Striper rig ) and
> my mind was on getting ready for waterfowl.
>
> But, as I age, I find that not being able to C&R ducks is reducing
hunting's
> appeal and this year I hope to experience some new fishing.
>
> If anyone has some suggestions for California in Oct, I thank you in
> advance. I'd especially like to fish the October Caddis, a hatch I've
> heard lots about, but never seen.

Darren Evans
September 30th, 2003, 05:47 AM
"Larry L" > wrote in message
> In years past my fly rods were put up by now ( 'cept the Striper rig ) and
> my mind was on getting ready for waterfowl.
>
> But, as I age, I find that not being able to C&R ducks is reducing
hunting's
> appeal and this year I hope to experience some new fishing.
>
> If anyone has some suggestions for California in Oct, I thank you in
> advance. I'd especially like to fish the October Caddis, a hatch I've
> heard lots about, but never seen.

Try Lake Heenan if you want to fish the October Caddis. I just returned
from Heenan yesterday after a very eventful trip. Heenan is a tributary
lake that holds Lahontan Cutthroats (catch and release only). The guys I
made the trip up there with say that late October has some of the best
fishing there as the October Caddis hatch comes about. I'm going back the
weekend of the 25th. Heenan is just off 395 through Monitor Pass.

Hope this helps.

Bill Kiene
September 30th, 2003, 06:29 AM
Hi Larry,

You can fish almost anywhere in October for almost anything that swims in
Nor Cal and Southern OR.

Salmon on the lower American River, lower Eel River, lower Smith River and
lower Chetko Rover (OR) .

Steelhead in almost all rivers open to the ocean except small coastal
streams. The Feather, lower Sac, Trinity, Klamath and Rogue (OR) to name a
few special ones.

Trout in most streams and most lakes. McCloud, Upper Sac, Pit, Hat creek and
Fall river to the north. Davis Lake

Black bass everywhere they exist.

Stripers in the Delta and some reservoirs.

June and October are the two best months to fly fish in Nor Cal.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA