PDA

View Full Version : One Rod

Russell Durtschi
September 30th, 2003, 11:15 PM
For twenty years I essentially fished with one rod. My first rod that I
got in 1972 was as a glass Fenwick 8.5 ft 6wt. I used that until I built
a Sage 8.5 ft 6wt in 1988. Then, last year I popped into ROFF and
learned that it's okay to have more rods. So I bought a KPOS 3wt and
5wt. Soon discovered that the 3wt is much more suitable for the fishing
that I do (at least when I get to go) ninty percent of the time.

In an earlier thread, Forty stated that if he could only have one rod he
would quit fishing and take up birdwatching. This is a concept that I am
just beginning to grasp. So here is the question: If you really could
only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?

I'm thinkin' that maybe I don't own my only rod yet.

Russell

daytripper
October 1st, 2003, 12:00 AM
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:15:20 -0600, Russell Durtschi > wrote:

>For twenty years I essentially fished with one rod. My first rod that I
>got in 1972 was as a glass Fenwick 8.5 ft 6wt. I used that until I built
>a Sage 8.5 ft 6wt in 1988. Then, last year I popped into ROFF and
>learned that it's okay to have more rods. So I bought a KPOS 3wt and
>5wt. Soon discovered that the 3wt is much more suitable for the fishing
>that I do (at least when I get to go) ninty percent of the time.
>
>In an earlier thread, Forty stated that if he could only have one rod he
>would quit fishing and take up birdwatching. This is a concept that I am
>just beginning to grasp. So here is the question: If you really could
>only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?
>
>I'm thinkin' that maybe I don't own my only rod yet.
>
>Russell

That'd be a heck of a constraint for some of us - especially those that do the
fresh and sal****er things, in creeks, rivers, ponds, lakes and the ocean.

But if I could only fish one rod, it'd be a Winston IM6 2 piece 9/5.
Too sweet to leave at home...

/daytripper (and mine's going back home for major refurb over the winter...)

Peter Charles
October 1st, 2003, 12:37 AM
wrote:

>For twenty years I essentially fished with one rod. My first rod that I
>got in 1972 was as a glass Fenwick 8.5 ft 6wt. I used that until I built
>a Sage 8.5 ft 6wt in 1988. Then, last year I popped into ROFF and
>learned that it's okay to have more rods. So I bought a KPOS 3wt and
>5wt. Soon discovered that the 3wt is much more suitable for the fishing
>that I do (at least when I get to go) ninty percent of the time.
>
>In an earlier thread, Forty stated that if he could only have one rod he
>would quit fishing and take up birdwatching. This is a concept that I am
>just beginning to grasp. So here is the question: If you really could
>only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?
>
>I'm thinkin' that maybe I don't own my only rod yet.
>
>Russell

Sage SP 490-3

or maybe my Ted Knott cane,

then there's the Daiwa 8' five piece 4/5 wt.

or maybe the Winston 7'6" 5 wt.

but how could I forget my DB 2/3wt.

of course I could use the Scott 10' 7 wt.

but in rhodo country I'd better use the little glass Hardy

then I could end up in a boat and might need the Vector 9 wt. or maybe
the DB 10 wt.

and if fly swinging is needed then I'd best get out the Daiwa 13'6" 9
wt. spey

unless it was on trout water, then I'd need the 10'6" East Branch 4
wt.

speaking of which, I shouldn't neglect the little EB 6 wt. for
streamers -- or it's DB VSR stablemate

See -- I only ever fish with one rod!!!!

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
http://www.easternclave.ca

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

rw
October 1st, 2003, 12:52 AM
Russell Durtschi wrote:

> So here is the question: If you really could
> only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?

Sage SP 5wt 5-piece. I use it at least 95% of the time. Every other rod
I own is a specialty rod.

Skwala
October 1st, 2003, 01:00 AM
"Peter Charles" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:15:20 -0600, Russell Durtschi >
> wrote:
>
> Sage SP 490-3
>
> or maybe my Ted Knott cane,
>
> then there's the Daiwa 8' five piece 4/5 wt.
>
> or maybe the Winston 7'6" 5 wt.
>
> but how could I forget my DB 2/3wt.
>
> of course I could use the Scott 10' 7 wt.
>
> but in rhodo country I'd better use the little glass Hardy
>
> then I could end up in a boat and might need the Vector 9 wt. or maybe
> the DB 10 wt.
>
> and if fly swinging is needed then I'd best get out the Daiwa 13'6" 9
> wt. spey
>
> unless it was on trout water, then I'd need the 10'6" East Branch 4
> wt.
>
> speaking of which, I shouldn't neglect the little EB 6 wt. for
> streamers -- or it's DB VSR stablemate
>

> See -- I only ever fish with one rod!!!!
>

> Peter

Oh Oh, sounds like a unrestrained case of Rod Lust...

Skwala

Paul Goodwin
October 1st, 2003, 01:03 AM
"Russell Durtschi" > wrote in message
[snip]
> In an earlier thread, Forty stated that if he could only have one rod he
> would quit fishing and take up birdwatching. This is a concept that I am
> just beginning to grasp. So here is the question: If you really could
> only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?
>
> I'm thinkin' that maybe I don't own my only rod yet.
>
> Russell

I feel that if a golfer can have 14 clubs then I should have 14 fly rods.

Paul (who is currently at risk of a 2 stroke penalty... more if his wife
finds out)

@(nospam)rochester.rr.com
October 1st, 2003, 01:23 AM
Peter Charles wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:15:20 -0600, Russell Durtschi >
> wrote:
>

>>For twenty years I essentially fished with one rod. My first rod that I
>>got in 1972 was as a glass Fenwick 8.5 ft 6wt. I used that until I built
>>a Sage 8.5 ft 6wt in 1988. Then, last year I popped into ROFF and
>>learned that it's okay to have more rods. So I bought a KPOS 3wt and
>>5wt. Soon discovered that the 3wt is much more suitable for the fishing
>>that I do (at least when I get to go) ninty percent of the time.
>>
>>In an earlier thread, Forty stated that if he could only have one rod he
>>would quit fishing and take up birdwatching. This is a concept that I am
>>just beginning to grasp. So here is the question: If you really could
>>only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?
>>
>>I'm thinkin' that maybe I don't own my only rod yet.
>>
>>Russell
>

> Sage SP 490-3
>
> or maybe my Ted Knott cane,
>
> then there's the Daiwa 8' five piece 4/5 wt.
>
> or maybe the Winston 7'6" 5 wt.
>
> but how could I forget my DB 2/3wt.
>
> of course I could use the Scott 10' 7 wt.
>
> but in rhodo country I'd better use the little glass Hardy
>
> then I could end up in a boat and might need the Vector 9 wt. or maybe
> the DB 10 wt.
>
> and if fly swinging is needed then I'd best get out the Daiwa 13'6" 9
> wt. spey
>
> unless it was on trout water, then I'd need the 10'6" East Branch 4
> wt.
>
> speaking of which, I shouldn't neglect the little EB 6 wt. for
> streamers -- or it's DB VSR stablemate
>

> See -- I only ever fish with one rod!!!!
>

> Peter

You remind me of Steve Martin in "The Jerk": "and this thermos, and
this paddle game, and this folding chair. That's ALL I NEED!!!!"

George Adams
October 1st, 2003, 01:26 AM
>From: Russell Durtschi

Sage RPL 580 (8' 5wt)

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Peter Charles
October 1st, 2003, 02:41 AM
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:00:50 -0700, "Skwala"
> wrote:

>> See -- I only ever fish with one rod!!!!
>>

>> Peter
>>

>Oh Oh, sounds like a unrestrained case of Rod Lust...
>
>Skwala

I'm afraid it's already gone way beyond mere lust . . . . . :(

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
http://www.easternclave.ca

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Tim J.
October 1st, 2003, 03:13 AM
"Russell Durtschi" > wrote in message
> For twenty years I essentially fished with one rod. My first rod that I
> got in 1972 was as a glass Fenwick 8.5 ft 6wt. I used that until I built
> a Sage 8.5 ft 6wt in 1988. Then, last year I popped into ROFF and
> learned that it's okay to have more rods. So I bought a KPOS 3wt and
> 5wt. Soon discovered that the 3wt is much more suitable for the fishing
> that I do (at least when I get to go) ninty percent of the time.
>
> In an earlier thread, Forty stated that if he could only have one rod he
> would quit fishing and take up birdwatching. This is a concept that I am
> just beginning to grasp. So here is the question: If you really could
> only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?

KPOS 7'6" 3WT
--
TL,
Tim

Ernie
October 1st, 2003, 05:13 AM
"Tim J." > wrote in message
. net...
> > In an earlier thread, Forty stated that if he could only have one rod he
> > would quit fishing and take up birdwatching. This is a concept that I am
> > just beginning to grasp. So here is the question: If you really could
> > only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?
>
> KPOS 7'6" 3WT
> TL,
> Tim
> (not really, but it had to be said)
> http://css.sbcma.com/timj

8 foot 6 weight.,,It could cover the range of Steelhead to Panfish. Any
good rod would do.
Ernie

Brimbum
October 1st, 2003, 05:52 AM
Russel asked: snip>If you really could
>only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?
>
>I'm thinkin' that maybe I don't own my only rod yet.

Hell I can't make up my mind even in 3 weight rods. Would it be the little
Fisher 6 foot 9 inch 3 piece
Sage 6 foot 9 inch 2 piece
Fisher 7 foot 6 inch 2 piece
Loomis IMX 7 foot 6 inch 2 piece
Scott 8 foot 8 ince 3 piece G series
Scott 9 foot 2 piece G series
St. Croix 9 foot 2 piece legend ultra.

I still need to get a Temple Fork 8 foot 6 ince 4 piece rod and put a very cool
reel seat on it.

Wonder if I have forgot any others.

Big Dale

Bill Kiene
October 1st, 2003, 05:59 AM
Hi Russell,

I think it depends on what kinds of fly fishing each person does or likes to
do mostly.

One rod = #7 - that is a tough one

Two rods = #5 & #9

Three rods = #5, #7 & #9 or #4, #8 & #10

Four rods = #4, #6, #8 & #10 - this would be perfect for me.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"Russell Durtschi" > wrote in message

> For twenty years I essentially fished with one rod. My first rod that I
> got in 1972 was as a glass Fenwick 8.5 ft 6wt. I used that until I built
> a Sage 8.5 ft 6wt in 1988. Then, last year I popped into ROFF and
> learned that it's okay to have more rods. So I bought a KPOS 3wt and
> 5wt. Soon discovered that the 3wt is much more suitable for the fishing
> that I do (at least when I get to go) ninty percent of the time.
>
> In an earlier thread, Forty stated that if he could only have one rod he
> would quit fishing and take up birdwatching. This is a concept that I am
> just beginning to grasp. So here is the question: If you really could
> only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?
>
> I'm thinkin' that maybe I don't own my only rod yet.
>
> Russell

Kiyu
October 1st, 2003, 08:29 PM
wrote:

>In an earlier thread, Forty stated that if he could only have one rod he
>would quit fishing and take up birdwatching.
But then he'd have a dozen binoculars and 2 or 3 of them funny little
hats birdwatchers wear.<G>

>So here is the question: If you really could
>only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?
One rod? One I have - an Orvis Small Stream Special - 7 ft., 5 wt.
Why? It's quick, powerful and will drive flies into difficult places
on the mountain streams I most often fish better than any other rod I
have seen. And I can use it effectively on the larger waters I fish
less often.

If allowed two rods then it would include the Sage SP+ 9 ft. 4 wt. It
is also an extremely fast rod I use on rivers and it allows me very
long casts with just a flip of the wrist. I will never use its full
casting capabilities but it does give me that option as I become less
able to do difficult wading and I like the way it handles the shorter
casts.

As proof of how many folks agree with the wisdom of my selections,
neither of these rods are any longer made.

I'd suggest you determine *exactly* what sort of rod you need to fish
your intended waters....... then buy any and all the rods you can
afford.

Kiyu

Larry L
October 1st, 2003, 08:55 PM
"Kiyu" > wrote

> One rod? One I have - an Orvis Small Stream Special - 7 ft., 5 wt.

lovely rod, I use mine a lot including on "big waters" like the Madison ...
I just pretend they are small streams and fish them accordingly

one of the best outdoorsmen I've ever met told me, " If you find something
( outdoors equipment) that you really like, buy a lifetime supply ... they
always stop making the best stuff."

Wayne Harrison
October 1st, 2003, 09:03 PM
Russell Durtschi wrote So here is the question: If you really could
>only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?

9'4wt thomas&thomas. it fits my casting pace, i can do most of my
freshwater fishing with it, and it is one pretty bitch.

yfitons
wayno

Tom Gibson
October 1st, 2003, 09:41 PM
Russell Durtschi > wrote in message >...
> For twenty years I essentially fished with one rod. My first rod that I
> got in 1972 was as a glass Fenwick 8.5 ft 6wt. I used that until I built
> a Sage 8.5 ft 6wt in 1988. Then, last year I popped into ROFF and
> learned that it's okay to have more rods. So I bought a KPOS 3wt and
> 5wt. Soon discovered that the 3wt is much more suitable for the fishing
> that I do (at least when I get to go) ninty percent of the time.
>
> In an earlier thread, Forty stated that if he could only have one rod he
> would quit fishing and take up birdwatching. This is a concept that I am
> just beginning to grasp. So here is the question: If you really could
> only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?
>
> I'm thinkin' that maybe I don't own my only rod yet.
>
> Russell

My first rod is still my #1 rod, an 8' 4/5wt that I have
satisfactorily fished with both line weights.

In order to cover the broadest possible spectrum, I think that I'd
want an 8'6" 3pc 6wt. OK for airline travel, light enough for Trout,
big enough for Salmon. Can I have extra reels/spools?
Over/under-lining could be handy at times.

Birdwatching. Hell, I'd rather fish exclusively for catfish & carp
with pre-packaged bait, a Spongebob Squarepants kiddie combo and
nothing to drink but lukewarm Budweiser. <G>

Tom G
getting into hunting mode

Scott Seidman
October 1st, 2003, 10:00 PM
(Tom Gibson) wrote in news:7cd82c19.0310011241.3ebc4df7
@posting.google.com:

> In order to cover the broadest possible spectrum, I think that I'd
> want an 8'6" 3pc 6wt. OK for airline travel, light enough for Trout,
> big enough for Salmon. Can I have extra reels/spools?
> Over/under-lining could be handy at times.

I wouldn't necessarily call a 6wt big enough for Salmon. I think that's
too little rod. I wouldn't go below a 7 myself, and way prefer an 8.

Scott

rb608
October 2nd, 2003, 01:57 PM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message
> 9'4wt thomas&thomas. it fits my casting pace, i can do most of my
> freshwater fishing with it, and it is one pretty bitch.

If the question is which one of my present rods I'd keep above all the rest,
it would be my 8' Sage RPL 3 wt. I love smaller streams & it's a joy to
use in those places.

OTOH, if the question were if I sold all of my rods to buy just one, I'd be
in line right behind wayno.

Joe F.

JR
October 2nd, 2003, 04:19 PM
Tom Gibson wrote:

> In order to cover the broadest possible spectrum, I think that I'd
> want an 8'6" 3pc 6wt. OK for airline travel, light enough for Trout,
> big enough for Salmon.

I'd agree with you and Ernie that a 6wt is the best one-rod rod for
freshwater fishing, for everything from panfish and trout up to
steelhead (I've landed many Deschutes steelhead--even hot ones--on a 9ft
6wt VPS). You could even stretch it for the lightest of sal****er
fishing (redfish, speckled trout, etc), but I think for most salmon and
most sal****er fishing, you're already out of the one-rod realm.

JR

Tom Gibson
October 2nd, 2003, 06:58 PM
Scott Seidman > wrote...
> (Tom Gibson) wrote...
> > In order to cover the broadest possible spectrum, I think that I'd
> > want an 8'6" 3pc 6wt. OK for airline travel, light enough for Trout,
> > big enough for Salmon. Can I have extra reels/spools?
> > Over/under-lining could be handy at times.
>
> I wouldn't necessarily call a 6wt big enough for Salmon. I think that's
> too little rod. I wouldn't go below a 7 myself, and way prefer an 8.

Preferences, schmeferences. I wouldn't consider my imaginary 6wt *or*
your 'preferred' 7/8wt light enough for most of my trout fishing.
Nonetheless, if I absolutely *had* to choose just one rod for all of
my fly fishing needs for the rest of eternity, I'd still choose the
6wt. Different strokes, I guess.

FWIW, I have caught both Silver & King Salmon on my 4/5wt using 5wt
line & level mono leader. Was it too light? Probably. Did it work?
Like a champ. My present Salmon rod? 9' 4pc 8wt. It appears that
our disagreement is imaginary and our agreement real. ;-)

Tom G
what about the extra spools?

Scott Seidman
October 2nd, 2003, 07:06 PM
(Tom Gibson) wrote in
om:

> Scott Seidman > wrote...
>> (Tom Gibson) wrote...
>> > In order to cover the broadest possible spectrum, I think that I'd
>> > want an 8'6" 3pc 6wt. OK for airline travel, light enough for
>> > Trout, big enough for Salmon. Can I have extra reels/spools?
>> > Over/under-lining could be handy at times.
>>
>> I wouldn't necessarily call a 6wt big enough for Salmon. I think
>> that's too little rod. I wouldn't go below a 7 myself, and way
>> prefer an 8.
>
> Preferences, schmeferences. I wouldn't consider my imaginary 6wt *or*
> your 'preferred' 7/8wt light enough for most of my trout fishing.
> Nonetheless, if I absolutely *had* to choose just one rod for all of
> my fly fishing needs for the rest of eternity, I'd still choose the
> 6wt. Different strokes, I guess.
>
> FWIW, I have caught both Silver & King Salmon on my 4/5wt using 5wt
> line & level mono leader. Was it too light? Probably. Did it work?
> Like a champ. My present Salmon rod? 9' 4pc 8wt. It appears that
> our disagreement is imaginary and our agreement real. ;-)
>
> Tom G
> what about the extra spools?

No, this is a real disagreement if you are a) targeting Silvers and Kings
with your 4/5 weight, and b) if you are fishing catch and release. If
you hook a salmon when fishing for trout, you often can't help that, and
if you're keeping your catch, it really doesn't make any difference. If
you're targeting 12 pound salmon on a 4/5 and intend to release them, you
really should use enough rod to minimize the fight. The six weight might
be OK, the 4/5 is way too little rod.

If someone intends to fish for small stream trout and salmon, I don't
think there's a good way to do it with one rod, unless you're a catch and
kill angler.

Scott

Ger Schuit
October 2nd, 2003, 08:40 PM
In article >,
says...
> our rods = #4, #6, #8 & #10 - this would be perfect for me.

Uhhhhhhhhh, I have and use 3x #3, 2x #4, 1x #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #12
and a #14-16 and about 5 double handed rods................ and still
thinking of my next...........

--
Pikefly ...... uhhhh flyfishing for Pike,,,, wasn't that the way you need
te have gone GaGa for........ NO but it helps.....

Jeff Miller
October 3rd, 2003, 03:01 AM
i have one rod that has any meaning for me. the others are just a fool's
tools, and things i am happy to have and use, but could suffer the loss
of without any true or lasting regret. the one rod was an honest and
selfless quiet gift... unexpected, unearned, and undeserved... and sent
to me without expectation of anything in return. it's a 6 foot (or
thereabouts) 4 weight "hamilton" bamboo (more properly called a zimboo),
and more beautiful and pure than art itsownself. if i was limited in
this life to only one rod, i'd choose it over all the others and happily
suffer the strong western winds of the rockies or anyplace else... well,
because in the end fellers, there's just gotta be more to this rodeo
than a pretty horse and the cowboy using her.

jeff

rb608 wrote:

> "Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message
>
>> 9'4wt thomas&thomas. it fits my casting pace, i can do most of my
>>freshwater fishing with it, and it is one pretty bitch.
>

> If the question is which one of my present rods I'd keep above all the rest,
> it would be my 8' Sage RPL 3 wt. I love smaller streams & it's a joy to
> use in those places.
>
> OTOH, if the question were if I sold all of my rods to buy just one, I'd be
> in line right behind wayno.
>
> Joe F.

Joe McIntosh
October 3rd, 2003, 01:21 PM
"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message

well,
> because in the end fellers, there's just gotta be more to this rodeo
> than a pretty horse and the cowboy using her.

IJ offers---guess Jeff is about 1/2 way up highway toward the clave this
morning--hope he is envisioning some more philosophical images for us.
I met Chill Wills at the Frontier Days rodeo many years ago and he offered
this one that seems appapro to roff----"
the rodeo aint over till a good fight has begin "

Charlie Choc
October 3rd, 2003, 02:22 PM
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 12:21:20 GMT, "Joe McIntosh"
> wrote:

>I met Chill Wills at the Frontier Days rodeo many years ago and he offered
>this one that seems appapro to roff----"
>the rodeo aint over till a good fight has begin "

Which is when, of course, you punched him - right? <g>
--
Charlie...

Tom Gibson
October 3rd, 2003, 02:32 PM
[lots of snippage in this one]
Scott Seidman > wrote...
> (Tom Gibson) wrote...
> > Scott Seidman > wrote...
> >> (Tom Gibson) wrote...
> >>
> >> I wouldn't necessarily call a 6wt big enough for Salmon.
> >
> > Preferences, schmeferences. [snip] It appears that
> > our disagreement is imaginary and our agreement real. ;-)
>
> No, this is a real disagreement if you are a) targeting Silvers and Kings
> with your 4/5 weight, and b) if you are fishing catch and release. If
> you hook a salmon when fishing for trout, you often can't help that, and
> if you're keeping your catch, it really doesn't make any difference. If
> you're targeting 12 pound salmon on a 4/5 and intend to release them, you
> really should use enough rod to minimize the fight. The six weight might
> be OK, the 4/5 is way too little rod.

OK. Real disagreement time. With regard to the Silvers, I was
A)targeting them and B)killing them. With regard to the lone King I
caught on my 5wt I was A)not targeting them and B)not concerned with
the Salmon's welfare as it was already spawned out. All of this was
in Alaska, where C&R for Salmon is strongly discouraged.

Now, imaginary agreement time. This is one of those philosophical
questions which has no distinctly 'correct' answer. If the question
was one of "If you had to pick one beer, car, hammer, screwdriver,
gun, hairdo or TV show", I am certain that we could all argue
vehemently that a straight-claw framing hammer was 1000% better than a
bent-claw trim hammer (or vice-versa). FYI, the *correct* answers
are: PBR, '74 Dodge Dart, 20oz Straight Claw Smooth Face Estwing,
Multi-tip, bolt-action 30-06, crew cut and The Brady Bunch. <G>

Tom G

rb608
October 3rd, 2003, 02:43 PM
"Tom Gibson" > wrote in message
m...
> [lots of snippage in this one]
> FYI, the *correct* answers
> are: PBR, '74 Dodge Dart, 20oz Straight Claw Smooth Face Estwing,
> Multi-tip, bolt-action 30-06, crew cut and The Brady Bunch. <G>

...., Brooks Robinson, Meg Ryan, Alaska, RPN, John Unitas, 400 mg., and
Northern Exposure.

Joe F.

Russell
October 3rd, 2003, 03:09 PM
Tom Gibson wrote:
> If the question
> was one of "If you had to pick one beer,
No clue - don't drink

car,
1959 Corvette

hammer,
The one that I can find when I need one

screwdriver,
Ditto

> gun,
Ruger M22 - Best plinkin' gun ever made

hairdo
Loved my early '70s long shag - it would look pretty silly now though

or TV show
That's easy - M.A.S.H.

", I am certain that we could all argue
Yup

Russell

Peter Charles
October 3rd, 2003, 03:54 PM
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 08:09:13 -0600, Russell > wrote:

>Tom Gibson wrote:
>> If the question
>> was one of "If you had to pick one beer,
>No clue - don't drink
>
>car,
>1959 Corvette
>
>hammer,
>The one that I can find when I need one
>
> screwdriver,
>Ditto
>
>> gun,
>Ruger M22 - Best plinkin' gun ever made
>
> hairdo
>Loved my early '70s long shag - it would look pretty silly now though
>
>or TV show
>That's easy - M.A.S.H.
>
>", I am certain that we could all argue
>Yup
>
>Russell

in for a penny . . .

beer - tastes change regularly but I've been partial to Kilkenny
lately.

car - 1964 E-Type Jag in BRG of course

hammer - my new, shiny, Estwing, 20 oz, milled face, framing hammer

screwdriver - any bit that fits in my Ryobi

gun - Russell and I have the same tastes, mine's the International
model with the mannlicher stock - most accurate thing I've ever fired

hairdo - the one I had when I was 22 (wouldn't have it now though)

TV show - Gunsmoke as a kid, M.A.S.H. as an adult

not much disagreement so far

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
http://www.easternclave.ca

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Wolfgang
October 3rd, 2003, 04:22 PM
"Tom Gibson" > wrote in message
m...
> ...If you had to pick one beer, car, hammer, screwdriver,
> gun, hairdo or TV show.....

Beer, please.

Wolfgang
who's already got all the rest.

Wayne Harrison
October 3rd, 2003, 04:26 PM
"Tom Gibson" > wrote

"If you had to pick one beer, car, hammer, screwdriver,
> gun, hairdo or TV show",

heiniken, perfectly restored jaguar xk140, nine pound, sure, made with
stoli; perazzi 20ga double o&a, my style and *amount* from 1974, lonesome
dove.

yfitons
wayno

slenon
October 3rd, 2003, 04:35 PM
My $0.2

beer - Schmaltz Brewing Company's HeBrew - I waver between Genesis Ale and
Messiah Stout http://www.shmaltz.com/ url included for non-believers

car - I'm quite happy with my 2001 Pathfinder. I also really liked the 1961
U.S Army 3/4 ton 4x4 stake truck. A real fishing vehicle if ever one
existed.

hammer - Piton hammer

screwdriver - any bit that I can use in my Black & Decker Firestorm

gun - handgun - Glock 17 - Ithaca 12 gauge pump - M-14

hairdo - not particular as long as it doesn't fall into my eyes.

TV show - ER, CSI, and the pilot edition of South Park

Band, before 1960 Toss between Stan Kenton and Dave Brubeck
Band, after 1960 The Grateful Dead

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

Ken Fortenberry
October 3rd, 2003, 04:47 PM
Tom Gibson wrote:

> ... one beer, car, hammer, screwdriver,
> gun, hairdo or TV show" ...

Budweiser, Porsche Cayenne, Estwing, no thanks, Krieghoff Classic
side-by-side shotgun 20 ga., long enough to comb, Bonanza.

--
Ken Fortenberry

George Adams
October 3rd, 2003, 04:54 PM
Here's mine:

Beer - Molson Golden

Car - 1956 Ford Crown Vic with Continental
Kit, Cruiser skirts, and LOUD exhaust. What a freakin' chick
magnet that thing was.

Hammer - Don't do hammers

Screwdriver - The multi - tip i keep in my car.

Gun - Ruger model 2 - last and best of a bunch of .22 handguns I've
owned.

Hairdo - On me, short - on women, shoulder length

TV Show - The Honemooners

Band - Buddy Holley and the Crickets.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Allen Epps
October 3rd, 2003, 05:03 PM
In article >, Wayne
Harrison > wrote:

> "snipped

Gotta go with...

beer - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for lighter, Beamish Stout for darker

car - Alfa Romeo GTA, one of the last years with he 2.0 motor and
Spica injection

hammer - Gotta go with Petah with the 20 oz Eastwing

screwdriver - Any decent hollow ground gunsmithing set. Amazing the
amount of torque a reasonbly fitted driver puts out.

gun - Pre-64 Win Model 70 Featherweight. The old .243 has never let me
down and still shoots 1 MOA despite all the rounds down that short
barrel

hairdo - 1 Johnny U approved crew cut, as long as I still have the hair!

TV show - Old SkyKing gotta love a short nose Cessna 310 (or a BobCat
for those real old fans) Newer - Why bother

Allen Epps
Catonsville, MD

Wayne Harrison
October 3rd, 2003, 05:07 PM
"slenon" > wrote

> Band, before 1960 Toss between Stan Kenton and Dave Brubeck
> Band, after 1960 The Grateful Dead

band? we're doin bands?

ok: agree on brubeck pre-60. paul desmond's alto remains the most
sublime sound my ears have ever heard.
afterwards: the stones.

yfitons
wayno

Shawn Armstrong
October 3rd, 2003, 05:17 PM
> "Tom Gibson" > wrote
>
> "If you had to pick one beer, car, hammer, screwdriver,
>> gun, hairdo or TV show",

Beer: Alaskan Smoked Porter
Car: Ferrari F50
Hammer: 5lb Sledge
Screwdriver: Double the Vodka, half the juice
Gun: Sig Saur P229 in 357Sig
Hairdo: Combed is good enough
TV Show: Unknown...don't watch TV.

Charlie Choc
October 3rd, 2003, 05:22 PM
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:26:33 GMT, "Wayne Harrison"
> wrote:

>"Tom Gibson" > wrote
>
>"If you had to pick one beer, car, hammer, screwdriver,
>> gun, hairdo or TV show",
>
> heiniken, perfectly restored jaguar xk140, nine pound, sure, made with
>stoli; perazzi 20ga double o&a, my style and *amount* from 1974, lonesome
>dove.

Belikin, '64 Ford Cobra, Mike, phillips head, Winchester model 12,
crew cut, Steve Allen Show. "Band" would have to be JJ Cale.
--
Charlie...

Herman Nijland
October 3rd, 2003, 05:31 PM
Tom Gibson wrote:
<snip>
> Now, imaginary agreement time. This is one of those philosophical
> questions which has no distinctly 'correct' answer. If the question
> was one of "If you had to pick one beer, car, hammer, screwdriver,
> gun, hairdo or TV show", I am certain that we could all argue
> vehemently that a straight-claw framing hammer was 1000% better than a
> bent-claw trim hammer (or vice-versa). FYI, the *correct* answers
> are: PBR, '74 Dodge Dart, 20oz Straight Claw Smooth Face Estwing,
> Multi-tip, bolt-action 30-06, crew cut and The Brady Bunch. <G>
>
> Tom G

Grolsch
Anything with four wheels and a roof which is safe, and starts when I
need it.
no preference
see above
super soaker
4 mm - by lack of other options. no need to comb.
Star Trek, the first series with the young Kirk
O yes, and bands - Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band, afterwards -
The Birthday Party, Talking Heads, ....

--
Herman, who doesn't know **** about guns.

Ernie
October 3rd, 2003, 05:52 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "Tom Gibson" > wrote in message
> m...
> > ...If you had to pick one beer, car, hammer, screwdriver,
> > gun, hairdo or TV show.....
>
> Beer, please.
>
> Wolfgang
> who's already got all the rest.

And a lot of empty beer cans. :)
Ernie

Wolfgang
October 3rd, 2003, 06:03 PM
"Ernie" > wrote in message
.com...

> "Wolfgang" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Tom Gibson" > wrote in message
> > m...
> > > ...If you had to pick one beer, car, hammer, screwdriver,
> > > gun, hairdo or TV show.....
> >
> > Beer, please.
> >
> > Wolfgang
> > who's already got all the rest.
> >
> And a lot of empty beer cans. :)

Well, bottles, actually.

Wolfgang
burp.....aahhhhhh. :)

Wayne Harrison
October 3rd, 2003, 06:05 PM
"rw" > wrote in message
. ..
> Wayne Harrison wrote:
> > "Tom Gibson" > wrote
> >
> > "If you had to pick one beer, car, hammer, screwdriver,
> >
> >>gun, hairdo or TV show",
> >

> > heiniken,
>
> Heineken. It's good beer, especially with a shot of Genever, but it
> doesn't belong on a "best" list.

thanks for correcting my spelling (seriously); however, it may not
belong on *your* list, but it does on mine. or do we no longer have the
right to our opinions, here on your newsgroup?

> > lonesome
> > dove.
>
> That's the best miniseries I've ever seen, or were you talking about the
> book, which is also excellent?

the former; and, yes, i agree that the latter was excellent. actually,
one of the best i have ever read, even though the rest of mcmurtry's stuff
leaves me cold, and even though he's not considered a "serious" artist.

wayno

rw
October 3rd, 2003, 06:44 PM
Wayne Harrison wrote:
> "Tom Gibson" > wrote
>
> "If you had to pick one beer, car, hammer, screwdriver,
>
>>gun, hairdo or TV show",
>

> heiniken,

Heineken. It's good beer, especially with a shot of Genever, but it
doesn't belong on a "best" list.

> lonesome
> dove.

That's the best miniseries I've ever seen, or were you talking about the
book, which is also excellent?

Todd Enders
October 3rd, 2003, 06:54 PM
In > Tom Gibson wrote:
> "If you had to pick one beer, car, hammer, screwdriver,
> gun, hairdo or TV show"...

Beer: Caledonian Double Dark
Car: 427 Cobra
Hammer: 8# sledge
S'driver: Hand-made
Gun: L. C. Smith 12 ga.
Hair: Whatever I have left at the time... :-)
TV Show: Dr. Who

Todd (remove hook to reply)

David Snedeker
October 3rd, 2003, 07:17 PM
SP 590-3

Dave

David Snedeker
October 3rd, 2003, 07:51 PM
Beer- Weinhards Blonde Lager, or Pyramid Pale Ale
Car- '48 Buick convertible, burgundy, calf interior
Hammer- California Framer
Screwdriver- I have this one quick changer I love
Gun- Stevens double 12 gauge, or my Daisy Red Ryder, hard to decide.
Doo- ""Time to go to work" consultant cut"
TV Show- Law and Order, (the one with the psychological detective, CSI?)
Band- Jimi/Experience, Howling Wolf and Electric mud.
And lets add. . .

Poet- Billy Collins, Walt W.
Artist- Rembrandt
Babe- Saskia
Color- Orange/Naples Yellow
Best State Flag- Maryland

Dave

slenon
October 3rd, 2003, 08:27 PM
>And lets add. . .
>Poet- Billy Collins, Walt W.
>Artist- Rembrandt
>Babe- Saskia
>Color- Orange/Naples Yellow
>Best State Flag- Maryland
>Dave

Poet - I'm partial to Kipling, Bret S Harte, Ginsburg, & Shakespeare
Artist - Dali
Babe - Gloria - makes me shout all night, G. L. O. RIA, GLORIA!
Color- Rangely Blue, British Khaki, Olive
Best State Flag - Alaska

--

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

David Snedeker
October 3rd, 2003, 08:58 PM
slenon wrote in message ...
>Best State Flag - Alaska

Yeah, Alaska's pretty cool.

Dave

Wayne Harrison
October 3rd, 2003, 10:43 PM
"David Snedeker" > wrote .
> And lets add. . .
>
> Poet- Billy Collins, Walt W.
> Artist- Rembrandt
> Babe- Saskia
> Color- Orange/Naples Yellow
> Best State Flag- Maryland
>
> Dave

i *love* this kind of ****.

poet: edna st. vincent millay
artist: modigliani
babe: before 1960--becky oakley; after--helena christenson. no, no,
wait--penelope cruz. wait, wait, what can i be thinking about--cameron
diaz...um, well...
color: carolina blue.
best state flag: god would strike me dead if i didn't say north
carolina. but, if not, hawaii: who the hell can resist the union jack?

yfitons
wayno

George Cleveland
October 3rd, 2003, 11:03 PM
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:43:37 GMT, "Wayne Harrison" > wrote:

>"David Snedeker" > wrote .
>> And lets add. . .
>>
>> Poet- Billy Collins, Walt W.
>> Artist- Rembrandt
>> Babe- Saskia
>> Color- Orange/Naples Yellow
>> Best State Flag- Maryland
>>
>> Dave
>>

> i *love* this kind of ****.
>
> poet: edna st. vincent millay
> artist: modigliani
> babe: before 1960--becky oakley; after--helena christenson. no, no,
>wait--penelope cruz. wait, wait, what can i be thinking about--cameron
>diaz...um, well...
> color: carolina blue.
> best state flag: god would strike me dead if i didn't say north
>carolina. but, if not, hawaii: who the hell can resist the union jack?
>
>yfitons
>wayno

poet: John Donne
artist:Van Gogh
babe:Natalie Wood
color:brook trout belly red
best state flag:Wisconsin's o.k. but I like California's or New Mexico's better

g.c.

slenon
October 3rd, 2003, 11:25 PM
> best state flag: god would strike me dead if i >didn't say north
carolina. but, if not, hawaii: who >the hell can resist the union jack?
>yfitons
>wayno

Must admit I gave a hard look at Hawaii before choosing. That is a great
flag and the Union Jack in all of its permutations is striking in visual
impact and appeal. But the simplicity and statement of the constellation
and Polaris on Alaska's flag speak to me as well. Always wanted to travel
there. Have yet to do so except for a stop over enroute back from Vietnam.

Modigliani? Certainly more ordered than Pollack but doesn't have that much
new to say to me. His work is tolerable though and often pleasing to my
eye.

--

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

Ken Fortenberry
October 3rd, 2003, 11:33 PM
David Snedeker wrote:
> And lets add. . .
>
> Poet- Billy Collins, Walt W.
> Artist- Rembrandt
> Babe- Saskia
> Color- Orange/Naples Yellow
> Best State Flag- Maryland

Poet- Lawrence Ferlinghetti
Artist- Van Gogh
Babe- (tie) Susan Sarandon, Mary Steenburgen
Color- Phthalo Blue
Best State Flag- New Mexico

--
Ken Fortenberry

daytripper
October 4th, 2003, 12:12 AM
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:47:10 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
> wrote:

>Tom Gibson wrote:
>>
>> ... one beer, car, hammer, screwdriver,
>> gun, hairdo or TV show" ...
>
>Budweiser, Porsche Cayenne, Estwing, no thanks, Krieghoff Classic
>side-by-side shotgun 20 ga., long enough to comb, Bonanza.

The Cayenne? You're kidding, right?

/daytripper (They're gonna kick you out of the Socialist Club for that ;-)

Willi
October 4th, 2003, 01:40 AM
Wayne Harrison wrote:

> "David Snedeker" > wrote .
>
>>And lets add. . .
>>
>>Poet- Billy Collins, Walt W.
>>Artist- Rembrandt
>>Babe- Saskia
>>Color- Orange/Naples Yellow
>>Best State Flag- Maryland
>>
>>Dave
>>

> i *love* this kind of ****.

Geez, and I don't even have an answer to ONE of the questions!

Willi

Tim J.
October 4th, 2003, 01:43 AM
"Herman Nijland" wrote...
<snip>
> O yes, and bands - Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band, . . .

Although I got a kick out of the Cap'n, I can't say that's one I'd listen to
nowadays. Stuck with only one LP (yes, 33 1/3) I'd have to go with Little Feat,
Waiting for Columbus, Original Master recording.

OT (yeah, like the rest of this thread isn't):
Herman and any other audiophiles out there, you might get a kick out of this. I
finally got my LP collection somewhat documented:
http://css.sbcma.com/timj/Record_Collection.htm
--
TL,
Tim

Tim J.
October 4th, 2003, 01:52 AM
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote...
<snip>
> Babe- (tie) Susan Sarandon, Mary Steenburgen

?? - The category was "babe", not "women old enough to be your mother"
--
TL,
Tim

.. . . and put me down for Angelina Jolie with just slightly less swollen lips.
http://css.sbcma.com/timj

Kevin Vang
October 4th, 2003, 02:49 AM
In article >,
says...

> i *love* this kind of ****.

I wanna play!

Beer: LaTrappe Quadruppel, by Schaapskooi
Beer that I can actually buy: Red Hook ESB
Guitarist (acoustic): Leo Kottke
Guitarist (electric): Eric Johnson
Band: Rolling Stones
Rifle: Remington M700 Mountain Rifle (.30-06)
Shotgun (geese): Ithaca NID 10 gauge
Shotgun (pheasants): Beretta BL-4 12 gauge
Shotgun (grouse): Bernardelli Roma 20 gauge
Mountain range: Beartooths
Tough guy: Robert Mitchum
Babe (living): Salma Hayak
Babe (dead): Ingrid Bergman
Painter: Van Gogh
Sculptor: Rodin
TV Show: Monty Python's Flying Circus
Movie: Repo Man
Color: Alizarin crimson
Tool (power): Delta table saw
Tool (hand): Record block plane (w/ Hock blade)
Tool (roff): rdean

Kevin

George Adams
October 4th, 2003, 03:31 AM
Poet - Walt Whitman

Artist /Sculptor - F. Remington

Babe - fifties/sixties - Lee Remick,
seventies/eighties - Linda Ronstadt
present - Faith Hill

Color - Green

Flag - Alaska

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Todd Enders
October 4th, 2003, 04:39 AM
In > Kevin Vang wrote:
> Beer: LaTrappe Quadruppel, by Schaapskooi

If I'd have known, I'd have brought you some back... :-)

Got to throw in on a few of the new catagories...

Guitarist (electric): Joe Walsh
Band: Led Zeppelin
Rifle: Remington Long-range Creedmoor Rolling Block in .44-90
Painter: Reubens
Colour: British Racing Green

Todd (remove hook to reply)

Ken Fortenberry
October 4th, 2003, 05:01 AM
Tim J. wrote:
> "Ken Fortenberry" wrote...
>
>>Babe- (tie) Susan Sarandon, Mary Steenburgen
>
> ?? - The category was "babe", not "women old enough to be your mother"

;-)

I just looked up Susan Sarandon on the web and found out that her
57th birthday is tomorrow (10/4). That makes her old enough to be
my great-great grandmother. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry - but I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eatin' crackers ;-)

Wolfgang
October 4th, 2003, 05:17 AM
"George Cleveland" > wrote in message
> poet: John Donne
> artist:Van Gogh
> babe:Natalie Wood
> color:brook trout belly red
> best state flag:Wisconsin's o.k. but I like California's or New Mexico's
better

> g.c.

Oh, what the hell.

poet: Ogden Nash.......um.....or Blake
painter: Jules Breton
babe: Liz Montgomery
color: what George said
flag: hey, when you're hunched over a log in the woods, any one of 'em will
do........thought I confess to a preference for cotton over nylon.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
October 4th, 2003, 05:19 AM
"Willi" > wrote in message

> Wayne Harrison wrote:

> > i *love* this kind of ****.
>
> Geez, and I don't even have an answer to ONE of the questions!

You can borrow one of mine if you promise to give it back when you're
do.....um......never mind. :(

Wolfgang

George Cleveland
October 4th, 2003, 05:39 AM
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 23:19:53 -0500, "Wolfgang" > wrote:

>"Willi" > wrote in message
>>

>> Wayne Harrison wrote:
>
>> > i *love* this kind of ****.
>>
>> Geez, and I don't even have an answer to ONE of the questions!
>
>You can borrow one of mine if you promise to give it back when you're
>do.....um......never mind. :(
>
>Wolfgang

I'd let him keep the flag. Two hole out houses are one thing. Two hole flags
are...yucky.

hth

g.c.

George Cleveland
October 4th, 2003, 05:47 AM
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:37:35 -0400, Peter Charles >
wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:15:20 -0600, Russell Durtschi >
>wrote:
>
>>For twenty years I essentially fished with one rod. My first rod that I
>>got in 1972 was as a glass Fenwick 8.5 ft 6wt. I used that until I built
>>a Sage 8.5 ft 6wt in 1988. Then, last year I popped into ROFF and
>>learned that it's okay to have more rods. So I bought a KPOS 3wt and
>>5wt. Soon discovered that the 3wt is much more suitable for the fishing
>>that I do (at least when I get to go) ninty percent of the time.
>>
>>In an earlier thread, Forty stated that if he could only have one rod he
>>would quit fishing and take up birdwatching. This is a concept that I am
>>just beginning to grasp. So here is the question: If you really could
>>only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?
>>
>>I'm thinkin' that maybe I don't own my only rod yet.
>>
>>Russell
>

>then there's the Daiwa 8' five piece 4/5 wt.

I just picked up an 8' 5wt four piece Daiwa Lochmor on eBay. It is a very nice
rod. Hope to take it up a montain out west next year and use it to catch a
grayling.

>or maybe the Winston 7'6" 5 wt.
>
>but how could I forget my DB 2/3wt.
>
>of course I could use the Scott 10' 7 wt.
>
>but in rhodo country I'd better use the little glass Hardy
>
>then I could end up in a boat and might need the Vector 9 wt. or maybe
>the DB 10 wt.
>
>and if fly swinging is needed then I'd best get out the Daiwa 13'6" 9
>wt. spey
>
>unless it was on trout water, then I'd need the 10'6" East Branch 4
>wt.
>
>speaking of which, I shouldn't neglect the little EB 6 wt. for
>streamers -- or it's DB VSR stablemate
>

>See -- I only ever fish with one rod!!!!
>

>Peter
>
>turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
>Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
>http://www.easternclave.ca
>
>Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

My 8.5' 5 wt. St. Croix Ultra Legend is as close as a person can get for an all
around rod in my neck of the woods. But I would have to alter my fly selection
to make it work.

g.c.

Herman Nijland
October 4th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Tim J. wrote:
> "Herman Nijland" wrote...
> <snip>
>
>>O yes, and bands - Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band, . . .
>

> Although I got a kick out of the Cap'n, I can't say that's one I'd listen to
> nowadays. Stuck with only one LP (yes, 33 1/3) I'd have to go with Little Feat,
> Waiting for Columbus, Original Master recording.
>
> OT (yeah, like the rest of this thread isn't):
> Herman and any other audiophiles out there, you might get a kick out of this. I
> finally got my LP collection somewhat documented:
> http://css.sbcma.com/timj/Record_Collection.htm

You still have to do the section from 1986 until now, doncha?
:-))

--
Herman

Herman Nijland
October 4th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:

> Tim J. wrote:
>
>> "Ken Fortenberry" wrote...
>>
>>> Babe- (tie) Susan Sarandon, Mary Steenburgen
>>

>> ?? - The category was "babe", not "women old enough to be your mother"
>

> ;-)
>
> I just looked up Susan Sarandon on the web and found out that her
> 57th birthday is tomorrow (10/4). That makes her old enough to be
> my great-great grandmother. ;-)

eehhmm.. That's 57 decimal, not hexadecimal.

--
Herman

Herman Nijland
October 4th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:

> Poet- Lawrence Ferlinghetti
> Artist- Van Gogh
> Babe- (tie) Susan Sarandon, Mary Steenburgen
> Color- Phthalo Blue
<snip>

Phtalo blue... Did you do the Bob Ross painting course?
--
Herman,
and may be a happy little tree lives here..

Wolfgang
October 4th, 2003, 01:26 PM
"Herman Nijland" > wrote in message
> Ken Fortenberry wrote:
>

> > Poet- Lawrence Ferlinghetti
> > Artist- Van Gogh
> > Babe- (tie) Susan Sarandon, Mary Steenburgen
> > Color- Phthalo Blue
> <snip>
>
> Phtalo blue... Did you do the Bob Ross painting course?
> --
> Herman,
> and may be a happy little tree lives here..

And a little celery over here......BAM!

Emeril
aw, yeah babe.

Ken Fortenberry
October 4th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Herman Nijland wrote:
> Ken Fortenberry wrote:
>

>> Poet- Lawrence Ferlinghetti
>> Artist- Van Gogh
>> Babe- (tie) Susan Sarandon, Mary Steenburgen
>> Color- Phthalo Blue
>
> <snip>
>
> Phtalo blue... Did you do the Bob Ross painting course?

Is that the guy on PBS with the Brillo-Pad hairdo ? I can't stand
that guy, nothin' worse than a mealymouth.

I have dabbled in oils, I painted my folks house once. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Wolfgang
October 4th, 2003, 01:57 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
y.com...
> Herman Nijland wrote:
> > Ken Fortenberry wrote:
> >

> >> Poet- Lawrence Ferlinghetti
> >> Artist- Van Gogh
> >> Babe- (tie) Susan Sarandon, Mary Steenburgen
> >> Color- Phthalo Blue
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > Phtalo blue... Did you do the Bob Ross painting course?
>
> Is that the guy on PBS with the Brillo-Pad hairdo ? I can't stand
> that guy, nothin' worse than a mealymouth.
>
> I have dabbled in oils, I painted my folks house once. ;-)

Realistically?.......um.....I mean, did it look like a house when you were
finished?

Wolfgang
who, upon reflection, supposes cubism would work......well, for certain
architectural styles, anyway.

Tim J.
October 4th, 2003, 02:28 PM
"Herman Nijland" wrote...
> Tim J. wrote:
> > Herman and any other audiophiles out there, you might get a kick out of
this. I
> > finally got my LP collection somewhat documented:
> > http://css.sbcma.com/timj/Record_Collection.htm
>
> You still have to do the section from 1986 until now, doncha?

Are you saying they've made music *after* 1985?

What can I say? I was young, single, and had a decent paycheck - much of which
went to buying the LPs. I musta hit a dry spell in 1985 and it has been uphill
ever since.
--
TL,
Tim

Herman Nijland
October 4th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
> Herman Nijland wrote:
>
>> Ken Fortenberry wrote:
>>

>>> Poet- Lawrence Ferlinghetti
>>> Artist- Van Gogh
>>> Babe- (tie) Susan Sarandon, Mary Steenburgen
>>> Color- Phthalo Blue
>>

>> <snip>
>>
>> Phtalo blue... Did you do the Bob Ross painting course?
>

> Is that the guy on PBS with the Brillo-Pad hairdo ? I can't stand
> that guy, nothin' worse than a mealymouth.
>
> I have dabbled in oils, I painted my folks house once. ;-)

Yep, that's him. I didn't know the expression 'mealymouth' but I suppose
he's a prime example.

--
Herman

Cornmuse
October 4th, 2003, 04:01 PM
"Tim J." > wrote in message

> "Herman Nijland" wrote...
> > Tim J. wrote:
> > > Herman and any other audiophiles out there, you might get a kick out
of
> this. I
> > > finally got my LP collection somewhat documented:
> > > http://css.sbcma.com/timj/Record_Collection.htm

You're not done yet. Now you need to go to CDDB http://www.gracenote.com/
and include album art, song running times, composer and artist information.
This coming from a guy with a collection of 5000+ vinyl and 1000+ CD (500
plus laser discs and uncounted tapes, VHS and beta, reel to reel and other
such trivial pieces of our broadcast legacy). I was happy just to get my
stuff in alphabetical order on the shelves!

Joe C.

FRANK CHURCH
October 4th, 2003, 05:14 PM

Is that the guy on PBS with the Brillo-Pad hairdo ? I can't stand
that guy, nothin' worse than a mealymouth.

Well Ken, not to worry, ol' Brillo Pad crapped out some time ago (musta been
the paint fumes) and he lives in a happy little graveyard someplace. Of
course, they're going to re-run his show for another 10 yrs at least. :)

Frank Church
....but he made it look so easy

slenon
October 4th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Todd:
>Rifle: Remington Long-range Creedmoor Rolling >Block in .44-90

Serious distance shooting iron.

But if we're going that far back,

Rifle ( pre - cartridge ) J&S Hawken St. Louis Mountain Rifle.

--

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

George Cleveland
October 4th, 2003, 06:45 PM
On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 17:18:51 GMT, "slenon" > wrote:

>Todd:
>>Rifle: Remington Long-range Creedmoor Rolling >Block in .44-90
>
>Serious distance shooting iron.
>
>But if we're going that far back,
>
>Rifle ( pre - cartridge ) J&S Hawken St. Louis Mountain Rifle.
>

>--
>
>----
>Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
>Drowning flies to Darkstar
>Save a cow, eat a PETA

>http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

Why stop there. Atlatls for everyone!

g.c.

When the Empire outlaws atlatls etcetcetc

slenon
October 4th, 2003, 10:06 PM
>You're not done yet. Now you need to go to CDDB http://www.gracenote.com/
>and include album art, song running times, composer and artist information.
>This coming from a guy with a collection of 5000+ vinyl and 1000+ CD (500
>plus laser discs and uncounted tapes, VHS and beta, reel to reel and other
>such trivial pieces of our broadcast legacy). I was happy just to get my
>stuff in alphabetical order on the shelves!
>Joe C.

Now that is OC software. I thought I was bad with a copy of Wintaper on my
computer and 1000+ hours of live Dead on tape.

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

Guyz-N-Flyz
October 5th, 2003, 10:28 PM
My tastes run on the simple side, so here goes.....

poet: Dr. Seuss
artist: The artist formerly known as Prince
babe: Glynda the good witch
color: fuscia
best state flag: Whatever Iraq ends up with, as long as it's not a star
added to the U.S. flag

Op

Frank Reid
October 6th, 2003, 03:10 AM
"If you had to pick:
one beer - Yuengling
car - '69 Mach I Mustang w/ drag pack
hammer - Alicia, Angeles City Philipines, 1981
screwdriver - Standard
gun - electron
hairdo - mullet (if all men wore mullets, I would look marvelous)
TV show - The Red Skelton Show

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Charlie Wilson
October 6th, 2003, 03:43 AM
"Guyz-N-Flyz" > wrote in message
. ..
> My tastes run on the simple side, so here goes.....
>
> babe: Glynda the good witch

You mean Billie Byrd, right? Anybody wanna guess the name of the sitcom
she was in, playing a nasty old hag?

Russell Durtschi
October 6th, 2003, 07:16 AM
Kevin Vang wrote: