PDA

View Full Version : Re: Fillin' the gap

rw
October 1st, 2003, 12:57 AM
Russell Durtschi wrote:

> So I am thinking about building this rod. I want to get a 4 piece blank
> and am leaning towards the 4wt. Have any of you any experience with this
> particular blank?

I believe that Charlie Wilson, an experienced rod-building ROFFer whose
presence here is much missed by yours truly, built a rod with the SLi
blank. He said it was very sweet, IIRC.

> Would the action of the 4 piece be much different than
> the 2 piece?

No.

> SWMBO is never going to go for this. Maybe if I tell her that if I buy
> three blanks I get 25 dollars off of each blank. No woman can pass up a
> bargin. Right?

Good plan.

Larry L
October 1st, 2003, 01:07 AM
"Russell Durtschi" > wrote

> So I am thinking about building this rod.

I'm curious ... why build? by the time you buy all the components you will
be at nearly $250 for a $300 rod and not have the guarantee

I'm thinking about getting the same rod ...SLi 9'5wt and have heard really
good things about the blank from several people, btw

Larry L
October 1st, 2003, 01:38 AM
"rw" > wrote

> Building a rod is fun and it's pretty easy. It's something that everyone
> who is serious about flyfishing should consider, just for the
> entertainment value, if nothing else.

what's needed besides the rod "kit" ... I mean what tools and such? I've
got the Cabelas site open to the SLi rod kit and am twitching to click "buy
now" <g> but I fear that I'll find out that I need a $698 special tool
gizzmo <G>

Oh, and I'm a clutz, .... I can tie flies decently enough to catch fish, and
change light bulbs without too much help. I usually manage that level of
"tool and repair" things, OK. But if it requires small motor skills too
much greater than shoe tying I'm in trouble ... when you say "pretty easy"
does that mean easy enough for the "building challenged"?

Gene Cottrell
October 1st, 2003, 02:48 AM
I build my own rods for 2 main reasons. I can build it as good and better
since I get the components I want and colors. 2nd because I am particular
about the cork handle shape and rarely find the rod I like with the cork
shaped to fit the way I like. I prefer a cigar shape and most rods have a
small taper which my long fingers wrap around too much. I don't build many
rods, but the ones I have suit me well.

Gene

"Larry L" > wrote in message

> "Russell Durtschi" > wrote
>
> > So I am thinking about building this rod.
>
> I'm curious ... why build? by the time you buy all the components you
will
> be at nearly $250 for a $300 rod and not have the guarantee
>
> I'm thinking about getting the same rod ...SLi 9'5wt and have heard really
> good things about the blank from several people, btw

Peter Charles
October 1st, 2003, 02:58 AM
On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 00:38:58 GMT, "Larry L"
> wrote:

>"rw" > wrote
>
>> Building a rod is fun and it's pretty easy. It's something that everyone
>> who is serious about flyfishing should consider, just for the
>> entertainment value, if nothing else.
>>

>what's needed besides the rod "kit" ... I mean what tools and such? I've
>got the Cabelas site open to the SLi rod kit and am twitching to click "buy
>now" <g> but I fear that I'll find out that I need a $698 special tool
>gizzmo <G>
>
>Oh, and I'm a clutz, .... I can tie flies decently enough to catch fish, and
>change light bulbs without too much help. I usually manage that level of
>"tool and repair" things, OK. But if it requires small motor skills too
>much greater than shoe tying I'm in trouble ... when you say "pretty easy"
>does that mean easy enough for the "building challenged"?

depends on how much patience you have . . . .

get some dowelling and try winding on a guide with some sewing thread
-- should give you enough of an idea.

here's what you're letting yourself in for . . . .

http://www.hookhack.com/buildingsupplies.html

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
http://www.easternclave.ca

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

rw
October 1st, 2003, 04:52 AM
Larry L wrote:
> "rw" > wrote
>

>>Building a rod is fun and it's pretty easy. It's something that everyone
>>who is serious about flyfishing should consider, just for the
>>entertainment value, if nothing else.
>>

> what's needed besides the rod "kit" ... I mean what tools and such? I've
> got the Cabelas site open to the SLi rod kit and am twitching to click "buy
> now" <g> but I fear that I'll find out that I need a $698 special tool
> gizzmo <G>
>
> Oh, and I'm a clutz, .... I can tie flies decently enough to catch fish, and
> change light bulbs without too much help. I usually manage that level of
> "tool and repair" things, OK. But if it requires small motor skills too
> much greater than shoe tying I'm in trouble ... when you say "pretty easy"
> does that mean easy enough for the "building challenged"?

You don't need any expensive tools. A cardboard box and a heavy
dictionary will serve for doing the wraps. The only place you might get
into trouble w.r.t. equipment is that you need a slow motor drive to
turn the rod while the epoxied wraps are drying. If you have a
rotisserie on your barbeque rig you could probably use that.

Darren Evans
October 1st, 2003, 04:59 AM
> what's needed besides the rod "kit" ... I mean what tools and such? I've
> got the Cabelas site open to the SLi rod kit and am twitching to click
"buy
> now" <g> but I fear that I'll find out that I need a $698 special tool
> gizzmo <G>
>
> Oh, and I'm a clutz, .... I can tie flies decently enough to catch fish,
and
> change light bulbs without too much help. I usually manage that level of
> "tool and repair" things, OK. But if it requires small motor skills too
> much greater than shoe tying I'm in trouble ... when you say "pretty easy"
> does that mean easy enough for the "building challenged"?

The learning curve to making a fly rod is a lot easier than tying flies. I
just made my first two rods. I ended up taking a rod building class at my
local fly shop which provided me the rod blank, rod componants and class
instruction for $150. The blank was a brown Sage 9' 5wt 2-piece rod. I
substituted their handle and reel seat with a Pac Bay recessed reel seat and
a cork handle that I modified. I put this rod to the test last Saturday at
Heenan Lake and caught a nice 26" Lahontan Cutthroat (a personal best). I
just got into fly fishing 6 months ago.

http://darren.bombs-away.net/flyfish/cutthroat1.jpg

I made my own rod wrapper and drying stand for very little cost. Nothing is
more satisfying than catching a fish on a custom built rod and a fly that is
made by yourself. Making your own rod is cheaper, and quality can be better
over a mass-produced rod from a well known rod making company. It may be
intimidating at first, but after you wrap a couple of rods, it gets easier
and your work gets better.

Here's links to pics of the wrapper and dryer that I built:

http://darren.bombs-away.net/Wrapper/

http://darren.bombs-away.net/Dryer/

Build your own rod... you won't reget it. Stop by www.rodbuilding.org which
is *THE* place for a person just starting out to get all the answers.

Hope this helps!

Darren Evans
Lakewood, CA

Ernie
October 1st, 2003, 05:16 AM
> >"rw" > wrote
> >> Building a rod is fun and it's pretty easy. It's something that
everyone
> >> who is serious about flyfishing should consider, just for the
> >> entertainment value, if nothing else.

And if you really want an experience after you do that, build a bamboo rod.
Ernie

Russell
October 1st, 2003, 05:44 AM
rw wrote:

> You don't need any expensive tools. A cardboard box and a heavy
> dictionary will serve for doing the wraps. The only place you might get
> into trouble w.r.t. equipment is that you need a slow motor drive to
> turn the rod while the epoxied wraps are drying. If you have a
> rotisserie on your barbeque rig you could probably use that.

I used my rotisserie motor when I rebuilt my Sage tip last winter. My
epoxy job didn't turn out that great and I thought it was partly due to
the motor turning too slow. I think it wouldn't be too hard to rig a
little pulley system to speed it up a bit. I'm going to experiment with
it next time. The first time I built the rod, the shop I bought the
blank from let me borrow a motor drive.

Larry, if you can tie flies, I'm sure you can build a rod. Go for it.
There is a certain satisfaction to fishing with a rod you built.

Russell

rw
October 1st, 2003, 06:34 AM
Ernie wrote:
>>>"rw" > wrote

> everyone

> And if you really want an experience after you do that, build a bamboo rod.
> Ernie

No thanks. I wouldn't even fish with a bamboo rod, unless one of my best
friends made it, and then only in his presence. :-)

Charlie Wilson
October 2nd, 2003, 01:23 AM
"rw" wrote:
> I believe that Charlie Wilson, an experienced rod-building ROFFer whose
> presence here is much missed by yours truly, built a rod with the SLi
> blank. He said it was very sweet, IIRC.

(blush) I'm not missing, just beem lurking lately. I'm still recovering
from a real ****ty month which included a blown L4-L5 disc, a nasty case of
West Nile, and the death of my mom.
I highly recommend the SLi. I've built five of them (4 for friends) and
I talked Willi into building one; we both think it's a fine all-around rod
with plenty of power and the ability to work in close. Get two friends to go
in with you and Cabela's cuts you a pretty good price break on three of
them.

Wayne Knight
October 2nd, 2003, 03:25 AM
"Charlie Wilson" > wrote in message

> I'm not missing, just beem lurking lately. I'm still recovering
> from a real ****ty month which included a blown L4-L5 disc, a nasty case
of
> West Nile, and the death of my mom.

Sounds like a really bad month, sorry about the loss of your mom and hope
you are recovering well from the other two problems.

a-happy-up-yours
October 2nd, 2003, 04:44 AM
Charlie Wilson wrote:
> "rw" wrote:

.........snip.........

> (blush) I'm not missing, just beem lurking lately. I'm still recovering
> from a real ****ty month which included a blown L4-L5 disc, a nasty case of
> West Nile, and the death of my mom.

.........snip........

The last of the three influences is outside any perceivable anguish. I
offer condolences to effect, but, mostly, I wish you peace.

Respectfully (very respectfully),

--
Tom

n4tab at earthlink dot net

Jeff Miller
October 2nd, 2003, 01:25 PM
hmmm... posting at near midnight, tom? now i understand the late night
call awakening me from the soft, sweet slumber i so rarely experience!

why ain't you packin the cooler, loadin the travelin larder, mixin the
mahvelous music, and getting all the aluminum foil hats properly sized
for the group gathering in western nc this week? i'm outta here
tomorrow morn, and hope to do a bit of fishing with someone in the area
of wilson creek tomorrow afternoon. it's gonna be odd not to have wolfie
or warren along... but it'll sure be good to see some old friends, fish
a special brookie stretch with wally again, get the banjo and pig
squealling music cranked up real loud, ... oh, sorry wally, i forgot you
didn't want them new boys to know. tell the locals it might be more
difficult cullin a few this year... see ya tomorrow.

jeff

a-happy-up-yours wrote:

Jeff Miller
October 2nd, 2003, 01:37 PM
rw wrote:

<utilitarian rod-building philosophy snipped>

some folks are artists...whether with a brush, a tool, a camera, or
words. others of us admire and aspire to be artists. some like me,
admire, but recognize the limits of our aspirations. i'm way too
clumsy, left-thumb-headed, lazy and untalented to create much of
anything except wind-knots, but i do marvel at you fellas with the
grace, aesthetic, and ability to undertake and complete such works. i've
always believed the artist had no choice in the matter but to serve
his/her art, however long or unfruitful the labor.

jeff

Wolfgang
October 2nd, 2003, 01:42 PM
"Charlie Wilson" > wrote in message

> (blush) I'm not missing, just beem lurking lately. I'm still
recovering
> from a real ****ty month which included a blown L4-L5 disc, a nasty
case of
> West Nile, and the death of my mom.

Serious bummer. Take good care of yourself.......and come back and
play when you feel better! :)

Wolfgang

rb608
October 2nd, 2003, 01:53 PM
"Charlie Wilson" > wrote in message
> (blush) I'm not missing, just beem lurking lately. I'm still
recovering
> from a real ****ty month which included a blown L4-L5 disc, a nasty case
of
> West Nile, and the death of my mom.

My condolences on your mom, Charlie. And best of luck on recovering from
the WNV and the L4-L5 problems.

Joe F.

a-happy-up-yours
October 2nd, 2003, 02:04 PM
Jeff Miller wrote:
> hmmm... posting at near midnight, tom? now i understand the late night
> call awakening me from the soft, sweet slumber i so rarely experience!
>
> why ain't you packin the cooler, loadin the travelin larder, mixin the
> mahvelous music, and getting all the aluminum foil hats properly sized
> for the group gathering in western nc this week? i'm outta here
> tomorrow morn, and hope to do a bit of fishing with someone in the area
> of wilson creek tomorrow afternoon. it's gonna be odd not to have wolfie
> or warren along... but it'll sure be good to see some old friends, fish
> a special brookie stretch with wally again, get the banjo and pig
> squealling music cranked up real loud, ... oh, sorry wally, i forgot you
> didn't want them new boys to know. tell the locals it might be more
> difficult cullin a few this year... see ya tomorrow.
>
> jeff
>
> a-happy-up-yours wrote:

Late night? I called at 9:30......

I've gotten most of the doin's loaded-up, shovels, maps, etc. Planing
to trek westward early Sattidy mornin. Hope Wally or Opie has a bottle
of locally produced paint thinner on hand for inoculation.

I'm wearing my foil hat now...seldom without it. Damned Martians, you
know....

See youse guyz midday Satdy.

Tom
--
Tom

n4tab at earthlink dot net

slenon
October 2nd, 2003, 02:46 PM
> (blush) I'm not missing, just beem lurking lately. I'm still recovering
>from a real ****ty month which included a blown L4-L5 disc, a nasty case of
>West Nile, and the death of my mom.

Sorry to hear about so much trouble happening at once. At least the disc
can be dealt with and stabilized and it sounds as if you've survived West
Nile. Sympathy is offered in your loss.

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

Charlie Choc
October 2nd, 2003, 04:39 PM
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 13:04:29 GMT, a-happy-up-yours
> wrote:
>
>See youse guyz midday Satdy.

I should get in a little after you do, Tom. See you there.
--
Charlie...

a-happy-up-yours
October 2nd, 2003, 10:39 PM
Charlie Choc wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 13:04:29 GMT, a-happy-up-yours
> > wrote:
>
>>See youse guyz midday Satdy.
>>

> I should get in a little after you do, Tom. See you there.

It'll be good to see you, Charlie. Somehow, work and other
inconveniences seem to keep me from seeing friends more often.

--
Tom

n4tab at earthlink dot net

daytripper
October 2nd, 2003, 11:09 PM
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 13:46:20 GMT, "slenon" > wrote:

>> (blush) I'm not missing, just beem lurking lately. I'm still recovering
>>from a real ****ty month which included a blown L4-L5 disc, a nasty case of
>>West Nile, and the death of my mom.
>
>Sorry to hear about so much trouble happening at once. At least the disc
>can be dealt with and stabilized and it sounds as if you've survived West
>Nile. Sympathy is offered in your loss.

My sentiments exactly...

/daytripper

Guyz-N-Flyz
October 2nd, 2003, 11:36 PM
"Charlie Wilson" > wrote in message
> (blush) I'm not missing, just beem lurking lately. I'm still
recovering
> from a real ****ty month which included a blown L4-L5 disc, a nasty case
of
> West Nile, and the death of my mom.

I am very sorry to hear of your loss Charlie. Just know you alwayz have a
place to stay in Lenoir, NC, should you ever decide to venture out this
way--first week, everything's on me, after that we both may be in trouble.
Get healthy real soon!

Mark

rw
October 3rd, 2003, 06:18 AM
I heard about your incredible run of bad luck, Charlie.

How's the wrist doing?