PDA

View Full Version : Slow Action Rod

Eric
October 1st, 2003, 03:24 PM
I have an old Winston (30 year old) graphite rod with a slow easy
action that i love. It's an 8.5 foot 5 weight. Does anyone know of a
new rod with a similar action? I have checked out Winston's current
lines. Would like to buy a blank and build one.

Erric

Ken Fortenberry
October 1st, 2003, 03:30 PM
Eric wrote:

> I have an old Winston (30 year old) graphite rod with a slow easy
> action that i love. It's an 8.5 foot 5 weight. Does anyone know of a
> new rod with a similar action? I have checked out Winston's current
> lines. Would like to buy a blank and build one.

What they now call the WT is the "classic" Winston.

I don't know why anyone would spend $300 on a blank and roll their
own when Winston does such a great job building rods and gives a
warranty to boot.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Tim J.
October 1st, 2003, 03:42 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote...
> Eric wrote:
>
> > I have an old Winston (30 year old) graphite rod with a slow easy
> > action that i love. It's an 8.5 foot 5 weight. Does anyone know of a
> > new rod with a similar action? I have checked out Winston's current
> > lines. Would like to buy a blank and build one.
>
> What they now call the WT is the "classic" Winston.
>
> I don't know why anyone would spend $300 on a blank and roll their
> own when Winston does such a great job building rods and gives a
> warranty to boot.

I can't imagine doing that either, but I suppose it's a bit like buying flies
vs. tying your own. There's a satisfaction to be had using something you
created.
--
TL,
Tim

rb608
October 1st, 2003, 04:00 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
> I don't know why anyone would spend $300 on a blank and roll their
> own when Winston does such a great job building rods and gives a
> warranty to boot.

There is a logical good sense to that perspective; but rolling your own can
allow you to choose wrap colors, designs, cork, reel seat, inscription, etc.
that will personalize your Winston and set it apart from the off-the-shelf
models designed for general appeal. It won't cast any better though, and
you still have to buy a sock & tube when you're done. I don't know if
Winston warrantees their blanks; but even if so, you still have to redo all
the construction again. The incentive to do it, however, is the desire to
create something even more beautiful (yea, even more elitist, perhaps <g>)
than the common, garden variety Winston. (or in my case, St. Croix.)

In truth, there isn't really much good reason for it, it just adds to the
fun, if you like that sort of thing.

Joe F.

Kevin Vang
October 1st, 2003, 04:44 PM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:

> I don't know why anyone would spend $300 on a blank and roll their
> own when Winston does such a great job building rods and gives a
> warranty to boot.

1. Because if you spend $300 on a Winston blank and another
hundred or so to finish it, then you have spent about $200 less
than buying a factory Winston.

2. Because if you don't have a need for a Winston, you can
find perfectly good blanks for under $100, sometimes way under,
if you do a little bargain hunting. For $700, you can buy just
one Winston, or build a half a dozen rods.

3. Because winter lasts _so damn long_!

Kevin
(whose thermometer said 10*F this am.)

Bill Kiene
October 1st, 2003, 04:52 PM
Hi Erric,

The "Winston Traditional" or "WT" is their slow action model. It comes in 2
or 3 piece @ $273 & $298US for a blank.

http://www.winstonrods.com/rods/rods_WT.cfm

Any Winston dealer can order that blank for you.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"Eric" > wrote in message
> I have an old Winston (30 year old) graphite rod with a slow easy
> action that i love. It's an 8.5 foot 5 weight. Does anyone know of a
> new rod with a similar action? I have checked out Winston's current
> lines. Would like to buy a blank and build one.
>
> Erric

George Adams
October 1st, 2003, 05:42 PM
>From: "Tim J."

>I can't imagine doing that either, but I suppose it's a bit like buying flies
>vs. tying your own. There's a satisfaction to be had using something you
>created.

That's true if you are making a bamboo rod from scratch, but with a graphite
rod, you're basically assembling components rather than creating. That said,
the skills you acquire by building a rod can come in very handy for rod
repair/refinishing. Also, if you have the time to spend it would make an
interesting winter project.....just not everyone's cup of tea.

Go Red Sox!

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

George Adams
October 1st, 2003, 05:51 PM
>From: Eric

>I have an old Winston (30 year old) graphite rod with a slow easy
>action that i love. It's an 8.5 foot 5 weight. Does anyone know of a
>new rod with a similar action? I have checked out Winston's current
>lines. Would like to buy a blank and build one.

The Orvis Superfine Henry's Fork model would likely be a good choice. Orvis
used to sell blanks, but I don't think they do now. You could inquire by mail
or phone at the store in Manchester, VT.
(802) 362-3750. I doubt if the mail order folks would be of much help.

Anyhow, the Superfine is very nicely finished and carries a 25 year warranty,
so you might consider going that route. I have the Silver Label version of this
rod, (unfortunately no longer made), and it has a very pleasant, slow action.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Mu Young Lee
October 1st, 2003, 06:30 PM
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, rb608 wrote:

> "Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
> > I don't know why anyone would spend $300 on a blank and roll their
> > own when Winston does such a great job building rods and gives a
> > warranty to boot.
>
> There is a logical good sense to that perspective; but rolling your own can
> allow you to .... <snip>

I built a Scott rod that only saved $100 after I upgraded to a high end
Struble reel seat with removable fighting butt and a custom length tube
from REC (nice! - although it looks like Winston is now using the exact
same tube for their rods). Mine also has gold accent wraps at the edges
of each ferrule (4 pc rod). It was worth the effort.

Mu

Cornmuse
October 1st, 2003, 08:48 PM
"George Adams" > wrote in message
> The Orvis Superfine Henry's Fork model would likely be a good choice.
Orvis
> used to sell blanks, but I don't think they do now. You could inquire by
mail
> or phone at the store in Manchester, VT.
> (802) 362-3750. I doubt if the mail order folks would be of much help.

I can second this suggestion and one should note that the Clearwater Classic
is just about the same rod from a casting perspective. I believe that Orvis
does sell the Clearwater series as blanks. The 8.5 foot 5wt is a very
pleasant rod to cast and fish for distances under 50'. My favorite low
water smallmouth rod...

YMMV

Joe C.

Charlie Wilson
October 2nd, 2003, 01:38 AM
"George Adams" > wrote in message
> >From: "Tim J."
>
> >I can't imagine doing that either, but I suppose it's a bit like buying
flies
> >vs. tying your own. There's a satisfaction to be had using something you
> >created.
>
> That's true if you are making a bamboo rod from scratch, but with a
graphite
> rod, you're basically assembling components rather than creating. That
said,
> the skills you acquire by building a rod can come in very handy for rod
> repair/refinishing. Also, if you have the time to spend it would make an
> interesting winter project.....just not everyone's cup of tea.

On the flip side, I'd say to be sure it's a blank you really like and
know you'll keep. If done right, a home crafted rod will cast and fish as
well as a factory finished one, but it will only have a fraction of the
re-sale/trade in value of a factory finished rod. The number of rods I've
given away has nothing to do with generosity; I just couldn't get anything
for them.

George Adams
October 2nd, 2003, 03:06 AM
>From: "Charlie Wilson"

> On the flip side, I'd say to be sure it's a blank you really like and
>know you'll keep. If done right, a home crafted rod will cast and fish as
>well as a factory finished one, but it will only have a fraction of the
>re-sale/trade in value of a factory finished rod.

Also on the flip side, I wouldn't base my first rod building effort on a $300
blank. I'd suggest purchasing an el-cheapo blank, (Hook & Hackle is a good
source), and practicing on that one till I got it right. Hint: choose a blank
that will fill a gap in your collection. No sense in letting it gather dust
after all that hard work, and even the cheap blanks make decent rods these
days.

Other side of the coin: a finished Orvis Superfine Henry's Fork costs $345
including sleeve, tube, and 25 year warranty.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Wayne Knight
October 2nd, 2003, 03:19 AM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
y.com...

> I don't know why anyone would spend $300 on a blank and roll their
> own when Winston does such a great job building rods and gives a
> warranty to boot.

Maybe you've forgotten, but Tommy Hargrove does a beautiful job making
custom Winstons.

rb608
October 2nd, 2003, 02:04 PM
"George Adams" > wrote in message
> Also on the flip side, I wouldn't base my first rod building effort on a
$300
> blank. I'd suggest purchasing an el-cheapo blank, (Hook & Hackle is a good
> source), and practicing on that one till I got it right. Hint: choose a
blank
> that will fill a gap in your collection. No sense in letting it gather
dust
> after all that hard work, and even the cheap blanks make decent rods these
> days.

As long as we're talking cheap blanks, I'd also suggest looking into D&E
Rods. They used to have a decent supply of discontinued Loomis blanks at
good prices; but their website hasn't been updated lately, so I don't know
the status of that. Might be worth a call, though. I bought an 8.5' IM6
5 wt from them a couple years ago & it was a very nice blank for cheap ($45
IIRC).

Joe F.

pw
October 6th, 2003, 04:47 AM
>I have an old Winston (30 year old) graphite rod with a slow easy
>action that i love. It's an 8.5 foot 5 weight. Does anyone know of a
>new rod with a similar action? I have checked out Winston's current
>lines. Would like to buy a blank and build one.
>
>Erric

Erric - I have only owned Winston's for 10 years All but one is now
what they call the WT (Winston Traditional). I love my 8' 9" 3-weight
LT, but it's their classic/WT models that I truly love. It's windy as
can be here but I still prefer my WTs to any stiffer rod I have used
or own (Sage, Orvis,....).

I am curious about Winston's fiberglass rods and, of course, their
bamboo ones!

-pw

-pw
livingston/emigrant,montana
please use "pw at williamsonenterprises dot com" for e-mail
thanks